Georgia Game Report Card

StatTiger

Game #10 Statistical Evaluation (Georgia Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.28] fail
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [27.3%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [5.1] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [20.0%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [20.0%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [4.81 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [50.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [27.4 yds] fail
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [31.6%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [1 / 0] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [57.0] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays:  (3) fail
14) At least 2 big plays:  (1) fail
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [115.5] fail

16) Yards to Point Ratio of 14.0 or under: [27.4] fail

Score: 3 of 16 (18.7%) 

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.00] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [57.1%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [6.6] fail
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [50.0%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [10.0%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [7.48 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [75.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [25.0%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [51.6 yds] fail
10) 40% or less of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [55.1%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [3/1] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [23.0] fail
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  (13) fail
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: (3) fail
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [163.0] fail

16) Yards to point ratio of 18.0 or higher: [19.1] pass 

Score: 4 of 16 (25.0%) 

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [40.3] fail
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [13.0] pass
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [41.0] fail
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [17.0] fail
6) PAT’s (100%): [1/1] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [100.0%] pass 

Score: 4 of 7 (57.1%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

The team with the most rushing yardage is now 24-5-1 during the last 30 meetings, and Auburn is 1-13 when Georgia has more rushing yardage. Auburn needed to keep the rushing difference within 75-yards, but the Bulldogs were +201 in rushing. For those wanting an "Air-Raid" game plan on offense saw more passing but the same passing concepts under Malzahn. Of his 36 pass attempts, Stidham attempted 25 within 5-yards of the line of scrimmage. The Georgia defense did a good job limiting the yards after the catch. From 1961-2018, Auburn has now completed at least 25 passes during a game on 28 occasions. Auburn's 25 completions against Georgia netted a dismal 172-yards, the lowest passing yardage by an Auburn pass offense with at least 25 completions. During the previous 27 games Auburn completed at least 25 passes, the Tigers averaged 330 yards passing. Auburn's continued inability to establish the run along with their short passing game made it easy for a Georgia defense to keep everything in front to eventually smother the Tigers offense.

Auburn's defense was hammered with over 300-yards rushing, now allowing 209 yards rushing per game during their last five conference games. It marked the eighth time Kevin Steele's defense has allowed over 200-yards rushing with a 3-5 record during those eight games. In conference play, Auburn has allowed an average of 159-yards rushing under Kevin Steele. Once again, the defense surrendered a high number of explosive plays as Georgia had 13 plays of 15-yards or more. Auburn allowed 350 yards on just the 13 explosive plays. Third-down defense continues to be an issue as of late for the Auburn defense as Georgia converted 8 of 14 attempts. It was the worst defensive performance of the season as Georgia gained at least 45-yards on eight of their nine possessions. Their tenth and final possession was a merciful kneeling of the football to expire the final period.

The only reason special teams had a passing grade was the conversion of their loan PAT and one field goal attempt. On a night Auburn needed to manufacture points, special teams did very little to assist in that regard. Auburn under Gus Malzahn is now 0-8 when trailing by at least ten points at halftime and 2-8 when trailing by at least seven points. The two victories came during the 2013 season which feels like a long time ago. Georgia has dominated Auburn away from Jordan-Hare with Gus Malzahn in control of the Tigers offense. During six games away from Jordan-Hare, Auburn has not scored an offensive touchdown after the first quarter, shutout in 15 of 18 quarters after the first period. After the first quarter, Auburn has scored only 13 points during the 18 quarters after the first period. Auburn is now 7-17 under Gus Malzahn when trailing at halftime and 3-13 against FBS teams from 2015-2018.     

War Eagle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Did Malzahn even look at the film if the last seven minutes of the TAMU game?

Also, did Swartz only have one touch? 

Malzahn has no idea how to use the speed he has on offense. 

• Like 2

The thrill is gone. I refuse to watch a CGM team in the third quarter. They are as reliable as a clock at disappointing. Third Quarter is almost a forgotten part of our Offense. I wish CGM et al well , but it is clear to everyone in college sports he is done. 

Despite what Greene said this week, I still think there is a chance a change is made after the season. Auburn will only take so much embarrassment before someone finally pulls the plug. This team will be bad again next year and the people making the decision have to see that.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

The thrill is gone. I refuse to watch a CGM team in the third quarter. They are as reliable as a clock at disappointing. Third Quarter is almost a forgotten part of our Offense. I wish CGM et al well , but it is clear to everyone in college sports he is done. 

@StatTiger

can we get a run down of 3rd quarter offensive possessions under Gus Malzahn?

This would be really interesting and potentially depressing. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CR said:

Despite what Greene said this week, I still think there is a chance a change is made after the season. Auburn will only take so much embarrassment before someone finally pulls the plug. This team will be bad again next year and the people making the decision have to see that.

200w.gif

I feel like I’m in an echo chamber when I say this. Unless you’re just my echo. 🤨

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CR said:

I just can't see them cutting him even if Alabama does to us what Clemson did to Louisville a couple weeks ago (77-16). 

They don't want this to stick on the new(ish) President Leath? I don't see the university wanting to sully him at this point. Lots of moving parts here.

Edited by The Six
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Six said:

I just can't see them cutting him even if Alabama does to us what Clemson did to Louisville a couple weeks ago (77-16). 

They don't want this to stick on the new(ish) President Leath? I don't see the university wanting to sully him at this point. Lots of moving parts here.

The main part will be money. If money starts being withheld the impact can be staggering. Hold back on future donations and previously pledged donations, reduced season ticket sales (license fee per seat), local economic impact to Auburn community due to fewer people attending next week and continued crappy bowl revenue to name a few. Impact can be in the millions yearly; much more than Malzahns buyout. Also Greene really doesn’t have a say. If the board pushes this it could happen. 

So that's what a talented, well coached OL looks like?  They are massive and get to the next level.  Our LBers were getting road graded all night long and they have RBs that can take it to the house.  We have Gus' buddies that can't recruit and can't coach.  Our OL looks like a HS team. Hard to win when you get dominated at the LOS all game.  But as we have always heard, stars don't matter. BS.  And it doesn't help that we do not develop the players we do bring in.  Total FAILURE by the coaching staff. Hope there are several all american OL transfers this year.

1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

Also Greene really doesn’t have a say. If the board pushes this it could happen. 

Agree here. I just wonder if the BoT is ready to do that knowing the stain of the buyout will rest on the door of the President. That undermines his leadership in a public, major way. There's more at stake than who coaches the football team. 

Thanks Stat, I do not think this is a dumpster fire like Chiziks las year.  However, we want to compete against Bama, Ga, LSU and Clemson CGM needs to realize we are not going to outscheme these guys.   We have to have the players in the trenches and you have to have a run game.  

CGM has overestimated his ability to win based on his scheme.  He needs to either up his game or move on.   

7 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

There's plenty of stuff to gripe about, but you must have missed the Ole Miss game when AU scored 21 points in the 3rd quarter.

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Did Malzahn even look at the film if the last seven minutes of the TAMU game?

Also, did Swartz only have one touch? 

Malzahn has no idea how to use the speed he has on offense. 

Yes on Schwartz, and Shriver had only 4 carries averaging over 10 yards per carry. 

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's plenty of stuff to gripe about, but you must have missed the Ole Miss game when AU scored 21 points in the 3rd quarter.

you really want to use ole miss's defense as an example?...bbbbbhwaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!....this is pitiful

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, Mikey said:

C'mon Mikey.  Even YOU don't believe that's a good argument.  Ole Miss....really? 

You're phoning it in like Auburn's Defense did last night.  You've got more game than that!

hysterical-laughing-gif-16.gif

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

One out of how many? almost 72?

Hey don't bring me into this mess....

😉

• Haha 2

Stat, you're the master of stats. One question: what is the minimum number of red zone appearances in your red-zone percentage pass-fail? For example, 1 of 1 for 100% 'could be a little misleading as a passing grade if you only made it once and scored few points for the game. What about a 'number of red-zone appearances per number of possessions (minus scoring plays outside of the red zone)?' 

Just a thought. I just can't wrap my head around it being a passing grade based on last nights game. 

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Yes on Schwartz, and Shriver had only 4 carries averaging over 10 yards per carry. 

Hell, him and Goober won't even use Schwartz as a jet-motion decoy! That baffles me. 

• Like 2