Georgia Game Report Card

StatTiger

56 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Everyone has crapped on the O all year, but the D has been equally as bad.   Very disappointed in the unit this season.  

Totally agree. They both suck. Knew there may be issues on O, but D was supposed to dominate. 

1 minute ago, tigers23 said:
58 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Everyone has crapped on the O all year, but the D has been equally as bad.   Very disappointed in the unit this season.  

Totally agree. They both suck. Knew there may be issues on O, but D was supposed to dominate. 

In fairness, the D was fantastic earlier in the season.

As the season wore on and the O was clearly going to let them down, you don't think it's mentally draining to deal with that? 

Yes, the D has sucked since MSU but I, personally, believe it's been emotionally taxing the last couple years trying to pick up the O's slack. 

I don't know this to be the case in Auburn's locker room but in my experience when one half of the equation (team) is not holding up their end it wears on the ones who are and I think it's harder to play good D under those circumstances than the flip side when the O was rolling and CEJ was dropping the ball on the D side.

I just don't think the D has been "emotionally" there the last few weeks.

Just my 2¢...

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

As the season wore on and the O was clearly going to let them down, you don't think it's mentally draining to deal with that? 

Yes, the D has sucked since MSU but I, personally, believe it's been emotionally taxing the last couple years trying to pick up the O's slack. 

I don't know this to be the case in Auburn's locker room but in my experience when one half of the equation (team) is not holding up their end it wears on the ones who are and I think it's harder to play good D under those circumstances than the flip side when the O was rolling and CEJ was dropping the ball on the D side.

Just my 2¢...

Was it?  I clearly remember Joe B. looking like Payton Manning.  

Just now, AUCE05 said:

Was it?  I clearly remember Joe B. looking like Payton Manning.  

And we all agreed the officials helped LSU mightily.  That's one game I don't put on Gus or the team.  Auburn was fine, for the most part.  I don't usually blame officiating but that game was dubious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUCE05 said:

considering we are 124 / 129  in FBS for Time of possession  i can understand why the defense isnt playing that well.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Six said:

Agree here. I just wonder if the BoT is ready to do that knowing the stain of the buyout will rest on the door of the President. That undermines his leadership in a public, major way. There's more at stake than who coaches the football team. 

Leath needs to have the front seat on the rail running Gus out of town.  He is already stained by being responsible for Gus' extension.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Just my 2¢...

True but if we take a look at this particular game, our short passing game plan was actually working and it was a competitive game through most of the first half. The score was 10-13 just before the half and it was our defense that broke first. Then with 23 seconds to go, 4th and 3, our defense gives up a 38 yard TD off a short pass designed to get a 1st down. Of course when we had the possession just before that, JS threw high on a wide open Whitlow for an easy first down. So at this point, both the offensive and defensive units are playing sub par. One thing that really surprises me is the rushing yards teams are able to gain on us right up the middle.

8 hours ago, The Six said:

I just can't see them cutting him even if Alabama does to us what Clemson did to Louisville a couple weeks ago (77-16). 

They don't want this to stick on the new(ish) President Leath? I don't see the university wanting to sully him at this point. Lots of moving parts here.

I don’t think Leath has to many friends at this point. Even Academically I don’t think he has a lot of support. He seems to be aloof to others . Remember a lot of folks are not thrilled with the way he went out of his way air dirty laundry other the Basketball and Coach Pearl. Can’t think of many that would support keeping Leath especially on the board. In fact he might be a great scapegoats for the Gus ordeal anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

True but if we take a look at this particular game, our short passing game plan was actually working and it was a competitive game through most of the first half. The score was 10-13 just before the half and it was our defense that broke first. Then with 23 seconds to go, 4th and 3, our defense gives up a 38 yard TD off a short pass designed to get a 1st down. Of course when we had the possession just before that, JS threw high on a wide open Whitlow for an easy first down. So at this point, both the offensive and defensive units are playing sub par. One thing that really surprises me is the rushing yards teams are able to gain on us right up the middle.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  Like I said, the D has been hot garbage often since MSU.

I just think we see an O pulling their weight this year and the D doesn't disintegrate like it has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh, don't get me wrong.  Like I said, the D has been hot garbage often since MSU.

I just think we see an O pulling their weight this year and the D doesn't disintegrate like it has.

You are definitely right about that. CGM teams have always been slow to find their offensive strengths which is something I've never really liked. But halfway through the season is a long time to still be in the process of figuring all that out. That wears on the rest of the team for sure. It also caused losses to clearly inferior teams this year.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

25 pass attempts within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage? That is truly astounding. Wow. 

This stat I actually understand - It's an attempt to replace runs with short passes due to a completely inept offensive line. It was really our only hope to stay in this game, but there was no margin for error on either side of the ball (and we made plenty of errors). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

The main part will be money. If money starts being withheld the impact can be staggering. Hold back on future donations and previously pledged donations, reduced season ticket sales (license fee per seat), local economic impact to Auburn community due to fewer people attending next week and continued crappy bowl revenue to name a few. Impact can be in the millions yearly; much more than Malzahns buyout. Also Greene really doesn’t have a say. If the board pushes this it could happen. 

SACS would step in if the BOD pushes the AD to make a change. It needs to come from Leath. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, doverstutts said:

you really want to use ole miss's defense as an example?...bbbbbhwaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!....this is pitiful

14 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

C'mon Mikey.  Even YOU don't believe that's a good argument.  Ole Miss....really? 

The statement that poster made was the 3rd quarter is a forgotten part of our offense and he refuses to watch the 3rd quarter. He didn't say it mattered who the opponent was. It could have been the Little Sisters of the Poor, the fact remains that Auburn scored 21 points in the 3rd quarter vs. Ole Miss.

Just because the cool kids are all into making disparaging statements doesn'r mean that fallacy shouldn't be pointed out. Say you don't want to watch 50+ yard field goal attempts and you'll be correct. Saying Auburn never scores in the 3rd quarter is incorrect.

8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don’t think Leath has to many friends at this point. Even Academically I don’t think he has a lot of support. He seems to be aloof to others . Remember a lot of folks are not thrilled with the way he went out of his way air dirty laundry other the Basketball and Coach Pearl. Can’t think of many that would support keeping Leath especially on the board. In fact he might be a great scapegoats for the Gus ordeal anyway.

This is very true.  He is not really liked by athletics or academics.

10 hours ago, autigeremt said:

SACS would step in if the BOD pushes the AD to make a change. It needs to come from Leath. 

SACS is not going to be involved in any way. Universities are free to hire and fire Employees as they see fit. The last involvement had nothing to do with that.

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

SACS is not going to be involved in any way. Universities are free to hire and fire Employees as they see fit. The last involvement had nothing to do with that.

If the BOD went beyond the president to remove a coach I think there would be scrutiny from SACS. Especially since we were put on probation for BOD involvement after jetgate. Just an opinion. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is very true.  He is not really liked by athletics or academics.

I'll bite. What do you base that on? Honestly curious...

8 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

If the BOD went beyond the president to remove a coach I think there would be scrutiny from SACS. Especially since we were put on probation for BOD involvement after jetgate. Just an opinion. 

The BOD has the ability to remove the President and plenty of justification. I don’t think they will go around him they will just remove him . Then Greene can do his job . I don’t think for a minute that AG won’t fire Gus. I know a lot of people fussed because of JJs smooching up to big doners but that is a big part of what an AD has to do in his job. His main job is to find funding for projects in the athletic dept. A lot of that comes from big boosters. When they are not happy it’s time to make changes. Some may not like the process but that is the way it’s done.

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The statement that poster made was the 3rd quarter is a forgotten part of our offense and he refuses to watch the 3rd quarter. He didn't say it mattered who the opponent was. It could have been the Little Sisters of the Poor, the fact remains that Auburn scored 21 points in the 3rd quarter vs. Ole Miss.

Just because the cool kids are all into making disparaging statements doesn'r mean that fallacy shouldn't be pointed out. Say you don't want to watch 50+ yard field goal attempts and you'll be correct. Saying Auburn never scores in the 3rd quarter is incorrect.

Mikey said I'm one of the "cool kids".

Thanks buddy 🤗

On 11/10/2018 at 11:00 PM, StatTiger said:

During six games away from Jordan-Hare, Auburn has not scored an offensive touchdown after the first quarter, shutout in 15 of 18 quarters after the first period. After the first quarter, Auburn has scored only 13 points during the 18 quarters after the first period. Auburn is now 7-17 under Gus Malzahn when trailing at halftime and 3-13 against FBS teams from 2015-2018.    

Okay, confession time.. I never really paid attention to those of you who claimed Gus couldn't game plan after the first couple of "scripted" drives but it's finally sinking in when @StatTiger throws out these horrible statistics. He's relying on pure talent and one-on-one match-ups to make things happen for him instead of the other way around.

I know we have Gus for another year or two (unless things get really bad) but if the man won't get an OC who he'll let actually run the offense, we're screwed. I'll even hop on the Hugh Freeze train if Gus will give over the entire offense to him, and that says A LOT from me because I don't want coaches at Auburn like him, Art Briles, Petrino, etc. :( 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

From people in both areas

I wonder what academic have against him. All he's done is promise to add more to their ranks and coffers since he got there. 

I'm just going to say here that I'm not bashing our defense AT ALL. Yes, we were sloppy in places but when your offense goes 3 and out over and over and the other team controls the time of possession on offense for 2/3 of the game, what can you do? They still held a really good football team to 27 points.

Jesus Christ.. if we had the Nick Marshall offense with this defense we'd be destroying the SEC. But this crap show of an offense is destroying us and our defense is completely gassed. Thank God they can rest a bit against Liberty (I HOPE) and might be more fired up for the Iron Bowl.

3 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

The BOD has the ability to remove the President and plenty of justification. I don’t think they will go around him they will just remove him . Then Greene can do his job . I don’t think for a minute that AG won’t fire Gus. I know a lot of people fussed because of JJs smooching up to big doners but that is a big part of what an AD has to do in his job. His main job is to find funding for projects in the athletic dept. A lot of that comes from big boosters. When they are not happy it’s time to make changes. Some may not like the process but that is the way it’s done.

True