Monday or Tuesday after the IB

ChltteTiger

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

You could build a new 80,000 sf campus facility of some sort for $32 mil.  Crazy how quickly money can be raised for football as opposed to academic facilities and programs.

The irony of it is that athletics are a by-product of the academic institution, not the other way around, yet the priorities from the revenue generated from football are football facilities, stadium upgrades and coaches salaries. Go figure...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I just don't understand how, in all seriousness, that they can objectively say after watching the last 4 years that Gus is the right coach to lead AU.

Yeah...but can we afford to fire him and hire a good replacement?

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We could get a guy like Babers or Huepel for cheap. 

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Yes actually. $15M can be paid to him in 2 weeks.

Literally almost anyone that has worked their way up the college coaching ladder will be an upgrade from Gus, who was lucky to be plucked from HS and fast tracked to an OC position. Anyone who has seen first hand what it looks like to run a successful program would be an upgrade. Gus literally doesn't know what a good, well-run college program looks like from the inside.

16 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Maybe if we can get Tim Cook onboard? 🙂

33 minutes ago, AUwent said:

People keep saying the money is there so I will take them at their word for that. My two concerns are recruiting ( I think we will lose some of our really good ones if Gus is fired) and the fact that people keep throwing out names of project coaches. If we fire Gus I want a top five coach. I don't want to hear that a top five coach won't come to Auburn. People keep talking about how great Auburn is and that we deserve better so in that case we need to get better. I'm not for taking a chance on someone who may or may not work out. As I have said before I think Gus deserves to be fired because he has not done a good job but unless we have a great ( not good) replacement, if I made the call I would force him to get a new Off. staff save the money for one year and see what happens. If hiring a Freeze doesn't work then I don't think anything will. If we can't get a Freeze or a Freeze = then there isn't any use in keeping him for another year anyway (lose of recruits or not).

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I just don't understand how, in all seriousness, that they can objectively say after watching the last 4 years that Gus is the right coach to lead AU.

I think people are just tired of the cycle.  If there was a proven coach available, then yeah go for it.  However, if firing Gus means we hire Neal Brown (who is rumored to be the target) then that makes me sad.  

One of the biggest problems I have with most fanbases, especially ours, is that so many of them change their minds about their coach on a week-to-week basis.   The reason I didn’t jump off the gus bus after the A&M game in 2014 was because it was one game.  I said then, if he gets a good DC he’ll be able to overcome some of these mistakes when they happen.  And he went out and got Muschamp, and then Steele!

In 2015, I started developing suspicions but bought the line about JJ inexplicably melting down, and after a while the team adjusted reasonably well.  

By 2017, I was pretty confident Gus was not going to be a good coach, and I wasn’t a big fan of the contract extension.  After some of the offseason chatter, I hoped that somehow gus decided to finally turn the corner and become redeemable.  He proved otherwise and I finally went completely off the Gus bus.   There is no set of circumstances for the remainder of this year that will change my mind.  I cannot envision any set of circumstances next year that would change my mind. It took me 6 years to give up on him, it would take a long time to get me back on the gus bus. 

If I were left in charge (and thank the Lord I’m not), I would go ahead and fire gus, have Leath dig ditches during all his off-time until he has paid back the 32 million we owe gus, and have Bruce Pearl conduct our interviews for our new head football coach.  AD Greene could sit in with Bruce on the interviews and hopefully learn a few things.  

13 minutes ago, bg5 said:

My two concerns are recruiting ( I think we will lose some of our really good ones if Gus is fired

We are probably going to lose Pickens and Pappoa regardless of whether Gus is fired or not. The contract that aimed to provide recruiting stability failed...

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

We are probably going to lose Pickens and Pappoa regardless of whether Gus is fired or not. The contract that aimed to provide recruiting stability failed...

You’re absolutely right @aujeff11!

Another ridiculously insane idea is to hire a coach (or keep a coach) based on the whims of a couple of teenagers!!!!

Do what’s best for the school and recruiting will work itself out!

I am no longer in the camp of thinking he is the right guy to lead the team. He could beat uat by 35 in 2 weeks and I will still point to the TN game. You do not lose at home to a team like TN if you are really worth $50 million. I dont care what your offensive line is doing.

But then we are back to the same ole questions - who do you hire to beat Saban and Smart on a consistent basis? Because we all know that is why we are REALLY mad. Please note that being able to beat those guys probably infers you are not losing to TN and MissSt.

I will slap the first person that says Kiffin!! lol

2 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

I am no longer in the camp of thinking he is the right guy to lead the team. He could beat uat by 35 in 2 weeks and I will still point to the TN game. You do not lose at home to a team like TN if you are really worth $50 million. I dont care what your offensive line is doing.

But then we are back to the same ole questions - who do you hire to beat Saban and Smart on a consistent basis? Because we all know that is why we are REALLY mad. Please note that being able to beat those guys probably infers you are not losing to TN and MissSt.

I will slap the first person that says Kiffin!! lol

We will do sometjing stupid amd hire Muschamp.  

Even if there's insiders somewhere, the date of a firing wouldn't even be set, much less leaked. If it happens, that Monday would be the time, surely. Easy guess.

Can we all agree that whether or not he's really out will be based solely on the contract money? Way I see it, if not for the buy-out, it would be eminent.

Sec rant huh? Hahahaha... That is usually not a good source of information. 

Unless he loses to Liberty, he will be back. Truthfully at this point he may not want to be back (other than the money) as it will be a tenuous relationship. It is going to be a very tumultuous off-season. Can't wait to see the recruiting class! 

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The irony of it is that athletics are a by-product of the academic institution, not the other way around, yet the priorities from the revenue generated from football are football facilities, stadium upgrades and coaches salaries. Go figure...

To the victors go the spoils.

If 85+K people would pay triple digit dollars, and another Million+ would watch on TV, to see students studying, going to class, or working in labs, then they'd find revenue much easier to come by.

The only thing besides sports in college that would interest a paying public might be a reality series on Spring Break or Fraternity Keggers.

3 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Altered reality.....

If Gus Malzahn is going to get a contract extension, it will come after negotiations with Auburn’s outgoing athletic director Jay Jacobs.

According to a report from Brandon Marcello of 247Sports, the office of Auburn president Steve Leath said, “Jay is certainly the best and right person to talk with on this question.”

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/college/report-jay-jacobs-will-handle-any-gus-malzahn-contract-extension-negotiations/sRp0i4t629EeSbRLxNBuHJ/new.html

"Gus and I will talk about it but the way Gus is, he doesn’t like to talk about things until everything is over," Jacobs said Saturday night. "He’ll be completely focused on playing Georgia again and so when Gus is ready to talk about it we’ll talk about it. He knows I’ve already mentioned it to him and he said he’s perfectly happy here at Auburn and wants to stay here. We’ll see how things go. It’s a competitive business we’re in and in order to stay in this business you have to be competitive so we’ll just how it all unfolds."

Any big decisions involving the athletics department will be handled in cooperation between Jacobs and Leath.

"If there's big decisions to be made in athletics over the next couple of months while we're searching (for a new athletic director), Jay will do like he normally does and come and sit with me and we'll work through them together," Leath told AL.com this week. "That gives us some continuity and it also keeps me consistent with my management style as to not micromanage, but to be informed."

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-athletics-director-Jay-Jacobs-Gus-Malzahn-is-perfectly-happy-at-Auburn-111103125/

Altered reality really,  Leath took over the contract extension but whatever dude.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

But the question keeps coming back to "Who is, then?" I don't think Gus is the long term answer, but I don't think he needs to be axed yet. It's halfway a business decision, and not just for the buyout. And that's not even including the personnel and recruiting losses for this year.

Anyone who is calling for his head may be objectively saying it after watching, but they're still making an emotional decision, and that has more than an even-odds chance of making the situation worse.

Who will replace him? Not pie in the sky wish list - who will come for not a lot of money (since we're gonna be 50M in the hole with his buyout and other coaches buyouts) to take over for a coach who was fired 1 year into a  7 year deal? Who is going to be better? Do we have an actual chance with someone better, or are we going to take a flyer on a mid-major coach? If we don't have a plan, we are rolling the dice hoping that whoever is next is better - and we are making a terrible decision.

Auburn has a reputation for fickleness. Firing him now does as much harm in that as it does potential good in getting rid of him.

So, all that to say: Just because there are people who don't want him fired doesn't mean that we haven't been watching, or think he's the right coach. It's that we don't want an emotional, shoot from the hip decision.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Sec rant huh? Hahahaha... That is usually not a good source of information. 

Unless he loses to Liberty, he will be back. Truthfully at this point he may not want to be back (other than the money) as it will be a tenuous relationship. It is going to be a very tumultuous off-season. Can't wait to see the recruiting class! 

I am hoping someone who runs across a 'good source of information' will at least describe in a post here what they have heard. In the meantime guess its just a bunch of us speculators. Silence is not gonna rule lol 

17 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Think about how many starters we're losing in the Front 7. I don't care if Bo Nix can play like Johnny Football. We'll be lucky to get to 6 wins next season.

I agree. Next season is already bad. Nix may be talented,  but how does this O line improve in the off season when it has shown zero progress all year? That's where the O starts. We need Noah Cain, the TB to sign, but that is most likely a dream. He would just get run into the ground. The 2 best SEC teams rotate their 2 or 3 best tailbacks due to the punishment they take. Our idiot of a coach keeps saying " we are going with the hot hand", that is until he ends up hurt or less than his normal self. It's a real shame. I wish I saw the sunshine side like so many of the people that post on here, but I think the program is already set back for the 19 season and possibly 20. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Can we afford not to?

I think you made a good point somewhere else about lost revenue. 

The other thing to consider are capital campaigns. People will stop giving money. 

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Can we afford not to?

That is the dilemma. Who is going to pony up the $ to pay the buyout and then the university will have to pay for all new coaches, etc. 

What a mess. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

That is the dilemma. Who is going to pony up the $ to pay the buyout and then the university will have to pay for all new coaches, etc. 

What a mess. 

I think we can all agree that it’s going to take either Gus gone or Freeze coming in order for us to have optimism going forward. Still would rather avoid the contract until all alternatives are considered.

Archived