Could Gus be a good CEO coach?

AUght2win

Hear me out. I want him gone like 95% of us do, but I believe Greene when he says Gus will be back next year. 

So. That said, I believe we will see him be forced to take his hands off the offense next year. At least in terms of play-filtering and handcuffing his OC.

Could Gus become a great CEO coach? We have seen how Gus' defenses have succeeded after taking a CEO approach to that side of the ball. And one thing that Gus does well is he has his players' loyalty and respect. They always play hard, which is arguably the biggest role of a CEO coach.

He recruits well technically, but the problem is he doesn't develop talent at all. That's probably a CEO coach's 2nd biggest role. Tubs was a great talent finder and developer.

My opinion is Gus COULD be an awesome CEO, but he won't. Here's why I feel that way. I don't personally know Gus, maybe some of you do. I think he has a lot of potential, but I think his ego is going to sink him.

He was once regarded as THE offensive mastermind in college football. The man invented the Wildcat for Pete's sake. His personal pride is tied into his offense's performance. The Auburn offense IS Gus. So I doubt he will be able to humble himself and go through the humiliation of giving up his calling card. Besides, a lifelong offensive coordinator will likely feel a bit useless if he doesn't involve himself heavily in the offense. I think Gus will go down trying to prove to the world that he can still, personally, engineer a successful offense. 

If he humbles himself and takes a true look in the mirror, do you guys think he can be a good CEO coach?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have to convince the masses that much then that should be your answer. Plus we already went down this road. If you have to force your head coach to do anything then that is a point where both parties should go separate ways.

NOPE.  And as been point out  in other threads the best thing for Gus to do now (if he stays another year).  Get whatever coaches he wants at any positions he wants and run the program however he wants.  My advise to him would be if you want to run your own offense then run the offense.  If you want to change offenses find an OC and let him run the offense.  If you are going to go out in a blaze of glory go out swinging. 

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If you are going to go out in a blaze of glory go out swinging. 

I think he's been trying...

EBq7.gif

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Hear me out. I want him gone like 95% of us do, but I believe Greene when he says Gus will be back next year. 

So. That said, I believe we will see him be forced to take his hands off the offense next year. At least in terms of play-filtering and handcuffing his OC.

Could Gus become a great CEO coach? We have seen how Gus' defenses have succeeded after taking a CEO approach to that side of the ball. And one thing that Gus does well is he has his players' loyalty and respect. They always play hard, which is arguably the biggest role of a CEO coach.

He recruits well technically, but the problem is he doesn't develop talent at all. That's probably a CEO coach's 2nd biggest role. Tubs was a great talent finder and developer.

My opinion is Gus COULD be an awesome CEO, but he won't. Here's why I feel that way. I don't personally know Gus, maybe some of you do. I think he has a lot of potential, but I think his ego is going to sink him.

He was once regarded as THE offensive mastermind in college football. The man invented the Wildcat for Pete's sake. His personal pride is tied into his offense's performance. The Auburn offense IS Gus. So I doubt he will be able to humble himself and go through the humiliation of giving up his calling card. Besides, a lifelong offensive coordinator will likely feel a bit useless if he doesn't involve himself heavily in the offense. I think Gus will go down trying to prove to the world that he can still, personally, engineer a successful offense. 

If he humbles himself and takes a true look in the mirror, do you guys think he can be a good CEO coach?

I bolded and underlined the part that stood out most to me. This has been a thing since 2015. It's not going to happen. I think he has tried at times to take this approach (LSU 2016), but he just can't completely let go. When the offense starts struggling, he jumps back in. And no AD is going to force a football coach to take his hands off the offense of his football team. He'd fire him, before he did that. 

So, a coach gets hired because he's a great offensive mind and play caller, then people want him to stop calling plays and turn that critical duty over to an understudy while the multi-million dollar man strolls the sidelines and plays CEO? That sounds insane to me.

Looking around the world of college football on TV Saturday, I saw head coaches from the extreme southeast (Mullen) to the extreme northwest (Leach) and many points in between calling their own plays. It appears that the norm is if a coach came up on the offensive side of the ball he calls his own plays. If he came up on the defensive side, he hires someone to call the plays. There are exceptions, but that's the norm.  Defensive play/set calling is harder to determine, but I did see where Tennessee fans were up in arms because Pruitt was calling his own defensive plays instead of playing CEO. I suppose that griping stopped after Kentucky scored only 7 points on the Vols Saturday.

Auburn's problem may be that people (the PTB) have been meddling with Gus's offense, not the other was around. In any case, I'd let the guy who was hired because he's a great offensive mind and play caller run his offense and call the plays. If he succeeds, great. If he fails, then fire him and try somebody else.

The idea of hiring a guy because he is a  great play caller then wanting him to not call plays but instead be a CEO and watch somebody else run the offense is madness.

No longer a great offensive mind and definitely not the CEO type.  A CEO's natural tendency is to delegate.  Gus is the control-freaking opposite.  

Gus' best move for Auburn would be to step down as Head Coach and put his name on the football-only facility by paying for it.

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

HA!  You're a riot!

Seriously, spewed my tea across the table reading this!  That is Hilarious!

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Auburn's problem may be that people (the PTB) have been meddling with Gus's offense, not the other was around. In any case, I'd let the guy who was hired because he's a great offensive mind and play caller run his offense and call the plays. 

That’s crazy! Don’t take my word for it though.... ask Tony Franklin and/or Tommy Tuberville.

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

No offense intended but all this analysis of what Gus 'needs to do' is pointless. Everyone knows he is not up to this job and will not make the changes in his approach- too stubborn!

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Auburn's problem may be that people (the PTB) have been meddling with Gus's offense, not the other was around. 

There is absolutely no proof of this. The offense is on Gus- period! stop blaming others!

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Hear me out....

If a dirt-dobber had a square behind it would lay blocks. In other words, it ain't happenin'.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Auburn's problem may be that people (the PTB) have been meddling with Gus's offense, not the other was around

Not a chance!  With Gus's contract he would simply tell folks to kiss off and just pay me my mega millions now (or just ignore them).

Gus's offense USED TO BE ahead of the curve, but NOT ANYMORE!  The guy simply is not capable of changing when it is crystal clear that defensive coaches have figured him out.  Gus embarrasses himself constantly.  In a way I feel sorry him.

I thought this exact thing until this season, but this season unfortunately proved that Gus lacks fundamental football instincts in addition to not having the pedigree/experience that makes for great coaches.

The man is stubborn as a mule w a $32 million buyout. 

Personally, I’d work pretty hard to get fired. No one outside my family and local golf club would ever hear from me again!

31 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

No, that style of leadership is not who he is.  He's a hands-on creator and should go find a job somewhere that lets him fulfill that.

He stopped creating long time ago and he's not open to new ideas or outside influences. 

Maybe he's got a future as a play caller somewhere but I think he's more Jesus Jones than Rolling Stones. I think maybe he's recorded his last hit. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe he's got a future as a play caller somewhere 

With his inability to adjust in game, I don't even think he can be an OC anymore.  At the college level I think he at best could be an off-field offensive analyst, designing plays for someone else to call.

Archived