Could Gus be a good CEO coach?

AUght2win

43 minutes ago, AURealist said:

We certainly disagree on Gus' ability to get us back on track.  To me, it means we've got to endure yet another wasted season of bad coaching.    I think I'm correct in my assessment.  I don't see anything in that to be happy about.  

Back to the op. I don’t think he can be successful having an OC that runs gus’ system. Either he has to turn it over to chip ( or someone else) with full authority  or run it all himself. There’s no middle ground. But the lack of available, serviceable linemen and rbs is  my  main concern. We are one or two good offensive linemen from having a 10-2 or better record this year. I don’t know how we got here. We recruit so well but it’s all WRs and D linemen I guess. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, alexava said:

Back to the op. I don’t think he can be successful having an OC that runs gus’ system. Either he has to turn it over to chip ( or someone else) with full authority  or run it all himself. There’s no middle ground. But the lack of available, serviceable linemen and rbs is  my  main concern. We are one or two good offensive linemen from having a 10-2 or better record this year. I don’t know how we got here. We recruit so well but it’s all WRs and D linemen I guess. 

Yeah, I don't know what the plan is supposed to be with our recruiting.  It's a mess and that fact it is makes no sense to me.  Seems Gus' crew can't assess needs or talent.

One major disappointment in all this for me is that we'll never know what a Chip Lindsey offensive would have looked like at Auburn.  At this point, I hope Chip moves on to something better for him.  Something's got to give and what we're doing's not working.  I think Gus takes over the OC duties for real next season. I believe the CEO role lies outside his skill set and temperament.  

On 11/12/2018 at 8:35 AM, Mikey said:

So, a coach gets hired because he's a great offensive mind and play caller, then people want him to stop calling plays and turn that critical duty over to an understudy while the multi-million dollar man strolls the sidelines and plays CEO? That sounds insane to me.

Looking around the world of college football on TV Saturday, I saw head coaches from the extreme southeast (Mullen) to the extreme northwest (Leach) and many points in between calling their own plays. It appears that the norm is if a coach came up on the offensive side of the ball he calls his own plays. If he came up on the defensive side, he hires someone to call the plays. There are exceptions, but that's the norm.  Defensive play/set calling is harder to determine, but I did see where Tennessee fans were up in arms because Pruitt was calling his own defensive plays instead of playing CEO. I suppose that griping stopped after Kentucky scored only 7 points on the Vols Saturday.

Auburn's problem may be that people (the PTB) have been meddling with Gus's offense, not the other was around. In any case, I'd let the guy who was hired because he's a great offensive mind and play caller run his offense and call the plays. If he succeeds, great. If he fails, then fire him and try somebody else.

The idea of hiring a guy because he is a  great play caller then wanting him to not call plays but instead be a CEO and watch somebody else run the offense is madness.

Completely agree with everything you stated. I would add this, If CGM is not a good recruiter, cannot develop talent, does not properly use the talent he does have, is stubborn, inflexible, paranoid, etc. How could he possibly have the vision, perception, intuition, flexibility, and intangible qualities required to be a GOOD CEO?  Wasn't he calling plays for Nick Marshall and Cam Newton? He has had the most success on offense when he had a good dual threat quarterback, solid offensive line, and a top tier running back. I think going back to that is the only way he turns the program around. I am not saying he can get the players he needs to go back to that, I just think that is the only way he can be successful again. JAO.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

It feels like it's been since the Tubs days that we've looked like a consistently well-prepared and well-coached team. I could get on board with a coach who's strength is preparation.

Aside from playing good or bad, we always look like we don't know what the heck's going on.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:16 AM, AUght2win said:

Hear me out. I want him gone like 95% of us do, but I believe Greene when he says Gus will be back next year. 

If he humbles himself and takes a true look in the mirror, do you guys think he can be a good CEO coach?

Gus once flipped to the CEO head coach role, then he flipped back to be a "coach" that's involved with the game planning and the day to day details.  He's flipped flopped a time or two.

1 hour ago, CodeRocket said:

Completely agree with everything you stated. I would add this, If CGM is not a good recruiter, cannot develop talent, does not properly use the talent he does have, is stubborn, inflexible, paranoid, etc. How could he possibly have the vision, perception, intuition, flexibility, and intangible qualities required to be a GOOD CEO?  Wasn't he calling plays for Nick Marshall and Cam Newton? He has had the most success on offense when he had a good dual threat quarterback, solid offensive line, and a top tier running back. I think going back to that is the only way he turns the program around. I am not saying he can get the players he needs to go back to that, I just think that is the only way he can be successful again. JAO.

Good comments....and it started with Lash and has continued with Chip....with .many AU fans pushing Gus further away from what he has done best in his career....which was design and call the offense.   He has no particular HC skills and only got there because of what he has shown as OC.  So put him back on the job on game day and let him run the show. ...and sink or swim from there.  Another season and we will know one way or the other JMO. 

Otherwise, we hire all kinds of assistants because of their recruiting ability.....Gus is the final voice I guess  but Horton, Chip and the rest are supposed to develop the rapport  and then bring in the young talent that they need....and teach them to play in the SEC.    JMO but among Gus's shortcomings as a CEO is his inability or failure to hold his staff accountable.   I'm looking , and hoping, for some shake-up among the offensive staff. 

4 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

Any coach can be successful with the three things you mentioned 

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5beb7345686c657532

On 11/12/2018 at 8:40 AM, ChltteTiger said:

There is absolutely no proof of this. The offense is on Gus- period! stop blaming others!

So, all that information about the PTB forcing Gus to run Lashlee off and hire from THEIR short list was false? Who knew?

I like the idea of Tubs being given one more year and maybe receiving Gus with his own brand of consistency...only thing is we needed Gene to inspire the recruiting base

I think going against Saban with 3 stars that needed extreme development long-term would've resulted in more 38-0s....IDK if thats preferable to the impotent ways we've lost to Saban since 2013, but we definitely needed a spark in the recruits.

Maybe they shouldve kept Chizik and let him hire his own replacement for Gus since he struck gold the first time.

On 11/12/2018 at 8:35 AM, Mikey said:

So, a coach gets hired because he's a great offensive mind and play caller, then people want him to stop calling plays and turn that critical duty over to an understudy while the multi-million dollar man strolls the sidelines and plays CEO? That sounds insane to me.

Looking around the world of college football on TV Saturday, I saw head coaches from the extreme southeast (Mullen) to the extreme northwest (Leach) and many points in between calling their own plays. It appears that the norm is if a coach came up on the offensive side of the ball he calls his own plays. If he came up on the defensive side, he hires someone to call the plays. There are exceptions, but that's the norm.  Defensive play/set calling is harder to determine, but I did see where Tennessee fans were up in arms because Pruitt was calling his own defensive plays instead of playing CEO. I suppose that griping stopped after Kentucky scored only 7 points on the Vols Saturday.

Auburn's problem may be that people (the PTB) have been meddling with Gus's offense, not the other was around. In any case, I'd let the guy who was hired because he's a great offensive mind and play caller run his offense and call the plays. If he succeeds, great. If he fails, then fire him and try somebody else.

The idea of hiring a guy because he is a  great play caller then wanting him to not call plays but instead be a CEO and watch somebody else run the offense is madness.

i would make an argument that balancing managing the whole team and planning the offense might be too much for one man to take on.   Not many are successful at that.   

Ya'll do know people can change., right? When given an ultimatum of change what is failung or get fired , well... I know you all say Gus is stubborn and this, that and the third but he got the defense side coaching staff right, for the most part, and who's to say he cant do the offense side? A good OC, qb coach, o-line coach and receiver coach would make all the difference in the world. 

To say that Gus won't be here next year or the year after is just heresy. Is he on the hot seat, definately!! If he has another 6-7 win season then he is gone, IMO. Am I dissatisfied with this season, HE!! YES!!(,no less than anyone else here) . 

If he looses the confidence of the players then I don't see any teason to keep Gus, but to my eyes the players believe in him and go all out for him and that my felliw fans is the reason why I personally have not thrown in the towel on ole Gus yet.

I guess I am the 5%, along with the team, who still holds out hope that Gus is the future and I really don't care what anyone else has to say about it! 

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

i would make an argument that balancing managing the whole team and planning the offense might be too much for one man to take on.   Not many are successful at that.   

The man's in over his head, nothing more/nothing less, he's a good coach and he fields a good team. 

Are the Auburn people satisfied with good?  Because that's what they'll get with Malzhan.

50 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

My post that you just quoted named three that are calling their own plays. I don't intend to post the whole long list of play-calling head coaches, but Oklahoma seems to be doing well with Lincoln Riley calling plays, for an example of one of the hot new commodity type of coach.

In my lifetime, I have read two long, technical books about coaching football. Both made the point, repeatedly, that once a game starts, play selection is the most important factor in determining who wins. To me, it doesn't make much sense to have the million-dollar guy that you hired because of his play calling ability walking the sidelines and being a CEO while one of his understudys makes those critical decisions.

If we want a CEO running the football team, why not just hire an up and comer from the corporate or Athletic Director ranks to be the head guy and let him delegate?

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Then why are you on a message board? 

To discuss more things than just “Gus suxeseseses!!!!”

33 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Ya'll do know people can change., right? When given an ultimatum of change what is failung or get fired , well... I know you all say Gus is stubborn and this, that and the third but he got the defense side coaching staff right, for the most part, and who's to say he cant do the offense side? A good OC, qb coach, o-line coach and receiver coach would make all the difference in the world. 

To say that Gus won't be here next year or the year after is just heresy. Is he on the hot seat, definately!! If he has another 6-7 win season then he is gone, IMO. Am I dissatisfied with this season, HE!! YES!!(,no less than anyone else here) . 

If he looses the confidence of the players then I don't see any teason to keep Gus, but to my eyes the players believe in him and go all out for him and that my felliw fans is the reason why I personally have not thrown in the towel on ole Gus yet.

I guess I am the 5%, along with the team, who still holds out hope that Gus is the future and I really don't care what anyone else has to say about it! 

He won't lose the confidence of his players, at the same time they aren't willing to knock down a brick wall for him - hell, some aren't willing to do their job right now.  The tackling has regressed, the energy and intensity in live game action has fallen off, the attention to detail and willingness to get the job done has regressed and that's just on defense (no point in addressing offense.) 

You can't honestly say your eyes have seen his players "go all out for him" in many games this season.  It's just not a true statement, they haven't laid down and given up completely, but they are NOT giving 100% on every play in every game and producing like they've (upperclassmen) been trained and coached to do.  

Gus has had every opportunity to change, evolve, adapt, hire/fire coaches, and re-think his management style relative to coaching a big time P5 SEC program.  It is what it is.  But good for you tbone4jc, you get to hold out hope for a while longer because he's here to stay.

6 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Malzahn is allergic to change/adaption. Total opposite of little Nick, who is willing to change his entire offensive playbook in order that it be tailored to his quarterback's strength....

The man overhauled damn near his entire coaching staff from top to bottom coming off a NC championship and what has he got to show for it so far this season?

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Then why are you on a message board? 

Same reason you are!?! If you don't agree, don't respind maybe? Because people like to respond negatively, thus the reason for saying that??!

2 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Same reason you are!?! If you don't agree, don't respind maybe? Because people like to respond negatively, thus the reason for saying that??!

No, I'm not here because I claim not to care what people have to say about things. And if I want to say things without the possibility of a negative response, I will likely say them somewhere other than an internet message board. 

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Ya'll do know people can change., right? When given an ultimatum of change what is failung or get fired , well...

Gus will not change. The window was as open as it ever will be for him to change last November and he was rewarded with 2 monumental wins and a massive contract extension. He saw first hand what it's like when he doesn't coach like a bonehead. But it's now out of his comfort zone for some reason to use the middle of the field, go fast, not run up the gut every other damn play call and telegraph the other plays by trying to put utopian personnel packages out there

32 minutes ago, keesler said:

He won't lose the confidence of his players, at the same time they aren't willing to knock down a brick wall for him - hell, some aren't willing to do their job right now.  The tackling has regressed, the energy and intensity in live game action has fallen off, the attention to detail and willingness to get the job done has regressed and that's just on defense (no point in addressing offense.) 

You can't honestly say your eyes have seen his players "go all out for him" in many games this season.  It's just not a true statement, they haven't laid down and given up completely, but they are NOT giving 100% on every play in every game and producing like they've (upperclassmen) been trained and coached to do.  

Gus has had every opportunity to change, evolve, adapt, hire/fire coaches, and re-think his management style relative to coaching a big time P5 SEC program.  It is what it is.  But good for you tbone4jc, you get to hold out hope for a while longer because he's here to stay.

Thank you. If he fails, so be it. If he wins, so be iy also. I don't see the players quitting, like they did with CGC, on either side of the ball. The defense missing tackles could be a sign of them being tired?? Maybe because our offense cannot sustain drives? But like I said, if he has another bad tear next season then all bets are off. Regardless of what you or I or anyone else thinks, Gus will be the head coach next season so my thinking is to hope for the best for our kids and University. :dunno: 1 Year removed from the SECCG and everyone wants the guy fired just makes no sense to me.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, I'm not here because I claim not to care what people have to say about things. And if I want to say things without the possibility of a negative response, I will likely say them somewhere other than an internet message board. 

Good for you!

Archived