Trump doesn't know difference between Baltic states and the Balkans

homersapien

Pathetic   :no:

Is Anyone Surprised Trump Doesn’t Know the Difference Between Baltic States and the Balkans?

When President Donald Trump met with Dalia Grybauskaitė of Lithuania, Kersti Kaljulaid of Estonia and Raimonds Vējonis of Latvia earlier this year, he started with a criticism. At the White House in April, Trump opened by chastising the Baltic leaders for starting the war in the 1990s that ended with the breakup of the former Yugoslavia. The Baltic leaders were apparently very confused and it took them “a moment” to realize that the commander in chief was confusing Baltic states with the Balkans, reported French newspaper Le Monde.

Although it’s hardly surprising world geography isn’t Trump’s strong suit, this case is particularly notable considering Melania Trump is originally from the Balkans. The first lady was born in Slovenia, which gained independence in 1991 at the start of the Balkan wars. As Le Monde wrote, Trump remained “apparently uneducated in the matter by his wife, Melania, originally from the former Yugoslavia.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/baltics-vs-balkans-trump-reportedly-gets-the-two-confused-at-meeting-with-leaders-of-estonia-latvia-and-lithuania.html

38 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Not surprised at all. I don't know many people in general who are educated on the matter. I am sure not (please don't rag me for it). 

You also aren't the President that has to interact with leaders from other countries.  Different standards bud.

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

So do I get a pass? 

Of course.  I would have also given you a pass for a not knowing what the nuclear triad is (although I think you do).  Trump however, did not know, as demonstrated during the Republican primaries when he asked directly about it.  Point is, being Commander-In-Chief requires some serious understanding of a broad range of topics.  His lack of intellectual curiosity has been and continues to be concerning.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Of course.  I would have also given you a pass for a not knowing what the nuclear triad is (although I think you do).  Trump however, did not know, as demonstrated during the Republican primaries when he asked directly about it.  Point is, being Commander-In-Chief requires some serious understanding of a broad range of topics.  His lack of intellectual curiosity has been and continues to be concerning.

Yeah, I agree. It's desirable for the President to have a working knowledge beyond that which we expect from an average person. I've made similar arguments against leaders in the Legislative branch before. 

He also didn’t know the difference between England, Great Britain and the UK. I can’t give him a pass on that. Especially a golf fan. 

Archived