Stidham

corchjay

Legit question and don't turn this into a bash Stidham thread...

But... What would our record be this year if you could take Stidham's size and talent and mix it with Sean White's field generalship and heart?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

But... What would our record be this year if you could take Stidham's size and talent and mix it with Sean White's field generalship and heart?

About the same, I think. Our offensive line has cost us games. Not Georgia, but every other game. Now if you take Stidhams size and talent and mix it with Nick Marshall's speed and ability to get himself out of pass rushes.....that's a different story.

34 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Honestly we are undefeated.  Our defense does not play like it did Saturday night with an offense fighting and clawing to give it all it's got.  If we completed half of the pass attempts where JS get's happy feet too quickly then we are in the chips.  The announcers are even talking about the WRs that are running free that he is missing.

30 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Even before this season started, I said something along the lines of I hope Bo Nix is exactly what you describe. 

As for which games we win or lose with adequate QB play and leadership, uga's the only one that I think maybe we still lose. And even that one's a question mark. 

The thing is, a true leader at QB could have helped this offense and entire team in so many ways other than just making plays on the field. And more success earlier on could have had this team playing with a lot more heart and confidence this past Saturday. Might've even had the head man coaching with more heart and confidence. 

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Honestly we are undefeated.  Our defense does not play like it did Saturday night with an offense fighting and clawing to give it all it's got.  If we completed half of the pass attempts where JS get's happy feet too quickly then we are in the chips.  The announcers are even talking about the WRs that are running free that he is missing.

You know that doesn't fit the narrative around here of our simple pass concepts... lol.  

11 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

A little more moxy at QB is the difference between 6-4 and 10-0.  Not sure about that.  Maybe it gets us through the LSU game and makes the UGA game closer...but the other games were lost for a variety of reasons.

I suspect Stidham would have already gone down with an injury. Neither had the wheels or moves to be a read-option scrambler and with our OL issues, I think that's really the only difference maker. Our offense doesn't allow for a lot of variety in passing routes. Neither White or Stidham have been able to overcome that. 

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

You know that doesn't fit the narrative around here of our simple pass concepts... lol.  

Well lol.... I do still think our pass concepts stink.  An example would be Gus' reasoning for no deep balls.  He said, and he is correct, that the defense was playing back.  I'm no coaching expert but I would have ran deep routes just to pull the safety and ran deeper routes than we were running underneath.  Sometimes you send a guy like Schwartz long and overthrow him just to keep the Defense honest.  I don't have the stats but I don't think we completed a pass for more than 15 yards not including run after the catch.

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

A little more moxy at QB is the difference between 6-4 and 10-0.  Not sure about that.  Maybe it gets us through the LSU game and makes the UGA game closer...but the other games were lost for a variety of reasons.

I think Fitzgerald is an average at best QB and I think we beat UT, LSU, and MSU with the way he plays.  This is a QB league and a QB game.  How good would Tom Brady or Drew Brees be if they showed the fire, leadership, and will to win of JS.

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Well lol.... I do still think our pass concepts stink.  An example would be Gus' reasoning for no deep balls.  He said, and he is correct, that the defense was playing back.  I'm no coaching expert but I would have ran deep routes just to pull the safety and ran deeper routes than we were running underneath.  Sometimes you send a guy like Schwartz long and overthrow him just to keep the Defense honest.  I don't have the stats but I don't think we completed a pass for more than 15 yards not including run after the catch.

Actually they are a little basic but much like most spread run based teams.  Like Clemson's, Like bama's now, Like mississippi state, Like Okie State, chip kelly at UCLA...

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

OK... how about Stidham and Burrow from LSU swapped teams?  What's each teams record?

6 Jarrett Stidham, QB AUB 184 300 61.3 2116 7.1 76 10 4 19 128.9
7 Jake Fromm, QB UGA 143 212 67.5 1955 9.2 75 19 5 12 169.8
8 Joe Burrow, QB LSU 153 279 54.8 1923 6.9 71 7 4 26

JS has 21 more attempts and 31 more completions.  That is a good question.  Most people view Burrow as nothing more than a game manager.

How much of JS performance failures are him, WR routes, Line play and poor play design (Coaching).  I have never played QB so I do not know the expectation.  It appears there is so much blame to go around that it primarily falls in those camps.

15 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think Fitzgerald is an average at best QB and I think we beat UT, LSU, and MSU with the way he plays.  This is a QB league and a QB game.  How good would Tom Brady or Drew Brees be if they showed the fire, leadership, and will to win of JS.

Totally agree

7 minutes ago, ATOTiger said:

How much of JS performance failures are him, WR routes, Line play and poor play design (Coaching).  I have never played QB so I do not know the expectation.  It appears there is so much blame to go around that it primarily falls in those camps.

It's a combination of all.  heck nothing on the team has been consistent.  Punting I guess has been but everything else has be wildly inconsistent.  One game against a good run team we might give up 85 yards rushing, the next good run team we give up 300.  The only thing consistent this year is our inconsistency.  

For me that points to a few factors, coaching, leadership, player leadership, youth and inexperience.  

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Even before this season started, I said something along the lines of I hope Bo Nix is exactly what you describe. 

As for which games we win or lose with adequate QB play and leadership, uga's the only one that I think maybe we still lose. And even that one's a question mark. 

The thing is, a true leader at QB could have helped this offense and entire team in so many ways other than just making plays on the field. And more success earlier on could have had this team playing with a lot more heart and confidence this past Saturday. Might've even had the head man coaching with more heart and confidence. 

Bo Nix is a smaller shorter version of Stidham with less arm strength. If coach double bubble is still around, there is going to be a lot of the same complaining about Nix as there is about Stidham. 

45 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Our pass concepts are simple. That's not just a narrative around here. Even former players say as much. There is no way you think we have a sophisticated passing game of you have watched our games. But sure... It just doesn't fit the narrative around here LoL. 

29 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Our QB play didn't make Fitzgerald have the game of his career against us. Our QB play didn't make Jarrett Guarantano have a career day. Our QB play didn't make Burrow have a career day. 

And with no blocking from the line and a nonexistent running game, neither Brady or Brees or Cam would excel in this offense this year. 

17 minutes ago, ATOTiger said:

It should. As well as a nonexistent running game. Which goes back to the coaches and recruiting. Last I checked Stidham couldn't recruit linemen or running backs. He couldn't design the offense around his strengths either. It all comes back to coaching

But Stidham is the popular guy to put all the blame on. It's easy to blame the QB.

Now we see why the backup QB is the most popular player on the roster 

The problem is we are constantly hitting the JUCO or transfer market for a QB due to a total inability to identify, develop(or both) a HS QB. Stidham has had a disappointing year but he is hardly the root cause of our problem.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

SW was a warrior and just his attitude with JS’s talent would make a big difference.  The real question is; would the coaching staff be able to recognize how to use such a QB early enough in the season to make a difference in the season?

He has failed to improve. But at the same time when given time and open recievers has also failed to get them the ball consisantly. In fact his throwing up the ball for interceptions beat us one me game.

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It should. As well as a nonexistent running game. Which goes back to the coaches and recruiting. Last I checked Stidham couldn't recruit linemen or running backs. He couldn't design the offense around his strengths either. It all comes back to coaching

But Stidham is the popular guy to put all the blame on. It's easy to blame the QB.

Now we see why the backup QB is the most popular player on the roster 

I agree with you.  But the question is referring to the laid back happy go lucky persona that JS exudes as a leader.  

What if we had a quarterback with Stidham's talent and  didn't have a coach with a high school offense and elementary school recruiting awareness along the offensive line.  

Lets not have a bash Stidham thread as I create one and bash him constantly because I think Gus is the best, again by same guy.  Please don't choke me out

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Same because neither plays on the offensive line nor "coordinates" the game plan.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

OK... how about Stidham and Burrow from LSU swapped teams?  What's each teams record?

I have been saying this since we played LSU - we are almost identical teams with one glaring difference. Joe Burrow doesn't make as many mistakes as Stidham does and so they've won more of the tight games than we have.

Archived