• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Gonzaga to 8 seems a bit brutal. 🤷‍♀️

Well when you lose two games in a row. 

54 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Well when you lose two games in a row. 

JMO but watch what happens to us if we lose to NC State.     We won't go down until we lose ….But  I think lot of voters are suspicious about AU and the schedule which has not turned out to be very strong.   We are gonna have to prove our ranking pretty soon by  beating a team or two in the top 25.  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but watch what happens to us if we lose to NC State.     We won't go down until we lose ….But  I think lot of voters are suspicious about AU and the schedule which has not turned out to be very strong.   We are gonna have to prove our ranking pretty soon by  beating a team or two in the top 25.  

Not gonna drop out the the top 15 with a loss on Wednesday. Guaranteed 

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Not gonna drop out the the top 15 with a loss on Wednesday. Guaranteed 

Taking a big risk huh..:)   I agree.....looking at the rest of the top 20, once you get below a handful of teams there are a bunch of guys in the top twenty who are in similar shape to AU.     Rankings this early don't mean much …..unless you are not in them... But we don't have many very good teams on our schedule and not good to lose to them. 

On 12/17/2018 at 6:15 PM, AU64 said:

Taking a big risk huh..:)   I agree.....looking at the rest of the top 20, once you get below a handful of teams there are a bunch of guys in the top twenty who are in similar shape to AU.     Rankings this early don't mean much …..unless you are not in them... But we don't have many very good teams on our schedule and not good to lose to them. 

Our schedule has not been as hoped being at 83rd right now, which really aint that bad in the grand scheme of things, but it will improve playing a top 15 NET team in NC ST & a Top 50 NET team in Murray St plus the conference schedule will pick it up too. As things stand now we are projected to end up with the 3rd toughest schedule at seasons end FWIW.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Our schedule has not been as hoped being at 83rd right now, which really aint that bad in the grand scheme of things, but it will improve playing a top 15 NET team in NC ST & a Top 50 NET team in Murray St plus the conference schedule will pick it up too. As things stand now we are projected to end up with the 3rd toughest schedule at seasons end FWIW.

A number of teams from our early schedule have not panned out as expected.   X, Az, Dayton come to mind as teams that have disappointed and probably hurt our power rating...maybe Washington too.....and some teams like Asheville and St Peters were just BAD.    But we got the ranking and until we lose a game or two, we can enjoy the nice ranking. 

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

X, Az, Dayton come to mind as teams that have disappointed and probably hurt our power rating...maybe Washington too

Actually even though all those teams are a group lower than expected they are all still Top 100 wins & still benefit our schedule & NET ranking.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Actually even though all those teams are a group lower than expected they are all still Top 100 wins & still benefit our schedule & NET ranking.

Top 100 ?   I guess that's good but not like top  25 or 50.   Seems those were supposed to be some of our marquee wins to help the RPI.  Sometimes it happens that way but just thinking that beating those teams is not gonna help us overcome the stigma of losing to some middle of the road SEC teams.   If I recall correctly, up to a point the margin of victory is irrelevant so matter how bad we beat Asheville or st. peters.....it does us no good to have played them. ????.  

Guess I need to go back and read up on how they are calculating the rankings when it comes to seeding for the NCAA. 

• 4 weeks later...

How did Tennessee make it to #1 this week.?   Guess he just kept on winning while the competition dropped by the wayside.

Thought Rick Barnes was dead and buried after his experience at Texas yet in two years he tied for the SEC title and now in year 3 is #1 nationally.but gotta say he's done a surprising job for the vols with mostly a bunch of 3* recruits  

Not sure he will stay there long.   I expect this will be a short visit to the top spot though. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

How did Tennessee make it to #1 this week.?   Guess he just kept on winning while the competition dropped by the wayside.

Thought Rick Barnes was dead and buried after his experience at Texas yet in two years he tied for the SEC title and now in year 3 is #1 nationally.but gotta say he's done a surprising job for the vols with mostly a bunch of 3* recruits  

Not sure he will stay there long.   I expect this will be a short visit to the top spot though.  

They don't play anyone who should beat them until they go to Rupp on 2/16.

43 minutes ago, jared52 said:

They don't play anyone who should beat them until they go to Rupp on 2/16.

JMO but road games in the SEC are always unpredictable......and also JMO but they got a major break from refs that prevented bama from having a game winning shot on Saturday.   Folks can argue about whether that was a walk or not....but if so?  how many foot shuffles occur that don't get called......like ignoring holding during a football game until some critical moment and then calling it. 

At this point, with 5 losses and showing no signs of improvement, I'm not convinced Auburn ought to be in the top 20 or even the top 25. Auburn looks like just another middling team right now. Gonna have to earn their way going forward -- the cred carrying over from last season has lost its shine.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:44 AM, AURex said:

At this point, with 5 losses and showing no signs of improvement, I'm not convinced Auburn ought to be in the top 20 or even the top 25. Auburn looks like just another middling team right now. Gonna have to earn their way going forward -- the cred carrying over from last season has lost its shine.

Unfortunately, I totally agree.  😰

I had high hopes for this team, especially after the disappointing football season.   But this team couldn’t stay in the gym with last year’s team.  

Oh well, how is our equestrian team doing?  Any breakthroughs in the forestry dept. I can brag about?

• 2 weeks later...

Two big home court wins will help the rankings situation but that Tier one and Tier two stuff is still not clear except perhaps to the people who live brackets and rankings. 

JMO but it would be nice to have a system that did not smack of an "insider's process.   We can complain about the media and coaches polls but at least we know what's going on.    Nonetheless...just keep winning and good things will emerge.

Moved up to 21 in the NET rankings after last night’s demolition of those scrubs from T Town. Have another home game coming up against an avg UF squad then a real test in Baton Rouge on the weekend. Legggggoooooo 

14 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Moved up to 21 in the NET rankings after last night’s demolition of those scrubs from T Town. Have another home game coming up against an avg UF squad then a real test in Baton Rouge on the weekend. Legggggoooooo 

Thought I recalled that in the new system close losses are better than a blow out....stuff like that which is not so black and white.  When do we actually get a real meaningful ranking?  

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thought I recalled that in the new system close losses are better than a blow out....stuff like that which is not so black and white.  When do we actually get a real meaningful ranking?  

The NET is the ranking system the committee is using this year so AU is 21 in it as of now. That’d put AU around a 5-7 seed in the tourney if everything stood as is. Still plenty of games left against quality opponents for AU to win and move up significantly 

i expected us to be ranked after 2 SEC wins. But at the same time i understand if the pollsters need to see a bit more out of us before plugging us back into the top 25. I mean if i was making a top 25 poll i don't know that i'd have AU in there quite yet. We beat 2 teams we should have beat. The way we beat them was impressive I thought. But i need to see this team play that well in these next 2 games before i start believing they can maintain the level of play we saw over the last week

Would've liked to have been part of a battle of top 25 teams in Baton Rouge this coming weekend (after getting through UF of course), but it looks like we won't be in the rankings. That's fine. More motivation to take it to UF and LSU this week!

Archived