Season Long Poll & NET (New RPI ) Thread

lost

Over the years the coaches Polls seem to to be less accurate than other polls. Either because coaches are so busy with their own team they really don't spend much time watching other teams play or they delegate it to somebody else.  Coaches watch film on their own team and the teams that their team is going to play.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUJedi said:

I’ve not been keeping up with basketball lately as much as I should. But how is Kentucky ranked ahead of us in coaches poll. A team that lost by 30+ to Duke??? 

Because they are Ky. 

17 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Because they are Ky. 

Yep....the way to get past Kentucky in the polls  is beat them in Auburn on Jan 19.....a Saturday game and the place should be rocking.....but I notice we have them twice this year....should be interesting with DP back in the line-up.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:48 PM, AUJedi said:

I’ve not been keeping up with basketball lately as much as I should. But how is Kentucky ranked ahead of us in coaches poll. A team that lost by 30+ to Duke??? 

That’s something we’ve been trying to figure out in the season long poll thread. The only thing we can come up with is because their uniform says Kentucky.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

UT is gonna be #1. What a win. 

I’ll gut laugh if they jump Kansas. 

Apparently there's an idiot voter named Graham Couch who, after about a month into the season, doesn't put teams in the top 25 if they haven't played a true road game. So teams like Duke, Kansas, Tennessee, and Auburn aren't even in his rankings. Ignoring the fact that Tennessee just beat his #1 on a neutral court, Auburn went to Hawaii and went 2-1. Might not have been true road games but Auburn traveling 4,000+ miles should count for something. Absolutely asinine thinking, IMO. Should have his voting privileges removed

47 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Apparently there's an idiot voter named Graham Couch who, after about a month into the season, doesn't put teams in the top 25 if they haven't played a true road game. So teams like Duke, Kansas, Tennessee, and Auburn aren't even in his rankings. Ignoring the fact that Tennessee just beat his #1 on a neutral court, Auburn went to Hawaii and went 2-1. Might not have been true road games but Auburn traveling 4,000+ miles should count for something. Absolutely asinine thinking, IMO. Should have his voting privileges removed

Another layer of the absurdity is post season tourneys are held at neutral floors for everybody.

Cole, no need for a long reply, just want to see what you think.....given what you have seen so far, if tennessee and AU played right now at a neutral site, who do you think wins?.....my thoughts are that UT is a more solid team than we are....folks forget that turner has not played yet....who do you say?

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

Cole, no need for a long reply, just want to see what you think.....given what you have seen so far, if tennessee and AU played right now at a neutral site, who do you think wins?.....my thoughts are that UT is a more solid team than we are....folks forget that turner has not played yet....who do you say?

Not Cole,   But,  I have only watched the TN game vs Gonzaga,  but from a physicality standpoint,  we are going to need to toughen up.  I might at this moment, give the edge to TN.  

There is some validity in not ranking a team as high as we would like if they have not played any road games with hostile crowds. I feel confident this team will pass that test when it comes and I have no problem with us being number 8 at this time. If we keep taking care of business we will move up in the polls. The next two games will give us the chance to prove we can play well in front of hostile crowds.  UAB is a solid team and NC State is 8-1 at a court where they are hard to beat. We beat both of them and we might move up.  I say might as all the teams ahead of us are undefeated or have lost one game like us. Tenn. lost to number 1 Kansas, Gonzaga to Tenn, and Duke to Gonzaga. I think the only team ahead of us we could move past is Nevada because though they are undefeated we will have played tougher competition if we beat the next two teams. Now if some of the teams in front of us lose then we could move up more. 

To stay near the top we have to continue winning. I love the fact we are playing Tenn. once this year at end of the year at home. There is nobody on the schedule we can't beat but there will be tough games against KY twice, Miss State twice, and Tenn once. Those are the games that will decide where we end up in the polls.

17 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Gotta give props to UT scheduling 

Yup. Ours is predicted to be higher than theirs at seasons end though FWIW.

All the b-ball powers love CBP, helping us get great games.  Another side benefit of his personality.  The story of how he got us into Maui is cool.

that positive snowball is gonna continue while he’s here.  Next couple years, these great b-ball players in the south will realize they don’t have to go to duke, unc, Kentucky, Kansas etc to play quality ball.

cbp is gonna have us on tv, in prestigious games, play a fun brand of ball and encourage the guys to get to the pros ... all while being like able.

i say this every game ... this is fun

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

The story of how he got us into Maui is cool.

I missed that one but would like to hear it.

• ellitor changed the title to Season Long Poll & NET (New RPI ) Thread
16 minutes ago, tallgraycat said:

Yep that’s prettt much it.  @ellitor and @augolf1716

easentially espn’s belief and relationship with CBP was what got us that gig.  The eternal side benefit was having bill walton do our last game ... can’t wait to have his stoned butt call one of our games!

9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Yep that’s prettt much it.  @ellitor and @augolf1716

easentially espn’s belief and relationship with CBP was what got us that gig.  The eternal side benefit was having bill walton do our last game ... can’t wait to have his stoned butt call one of our games!

We will have to agree to disagree on Bill Walton as a color analyst. I think he’s awful and listening to him do our Arizona game was like listening to fingernails on the chalkboard for me.

The best part of his color commentary was him asking the play-by-play guy's name 38 different times.  When he first looked over and said, "Now, who are you?". I just about fell out.

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

The best part of his color commentary was him asking the play-by-play guy's name 38 different times.  When he first looked over and said, "Now, who are you?". I just about fell out.

He also had an "University of Auburn" and the best of the night "the Sun revolves around the Earth" 

Climbed up to 7th.  Not bad. 

1     Kansas (56)

2  Duke Duke (5)

3  Tennessee Tennessee (2)

4  Michigan Michigan (1)

5  Virginia Virginia (1)

6  Nevada Nevada

7  Auburn Auburn

8  Gonzaga Gonzaga

9  North Carolina North Carolina

10 Michigan State Michigan State

Archived