If Malzahn returns

Swamp Eagle

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B. Marcello had some article after the Moo St loss where he said there were some underclassmen talking about leaving early. Have not seen anything to this effect since then which makes me wonder if he made it up. Someone probably will leave early but don't they always?

7 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

What is the typical number that leave each year?

With the new transfer and redshirt rules...who knows

I'm guessing more would leave if Gus was actually fired though. 

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

With the new transfer and redshirt rules...who knows

I'm guessing more would leave if Gus was actually fired though. 

We would lose commitments too.  Some have already flat out said that is Gus leaves, they leave.

The OP is a loaded question because naturally we are going to see more transfers due to the updated rules.  It is happening everywhere.

40 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

B. Marcello had some article after the Moo St loss where he said there were some underclassmen talking about leaving early. Have not seen anything to this effect since then which makes me wonder if he made it up. Someone probably will leave early but don't they always?

I'm not talking about 'leaving early' as in the NFL...I mean players bailing and transferring.

42 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I'm not talking about 'leaving early' as in the NFL...I mean players bailing and transferring.

The only reason a player transfers is to improve their NFL draft potential. The primary way to improve NFL draft potential is to increase playing time.

Transfers are more of an indication a team is relatively deep in a position, or of a personality conflict with the current coaching staff.

Graduate transfers of non starters to another FBS school are a given. Kam Martin is a likely loss.

Transfers of non-starters to FCS not requiring a loss of eligibility are a trade-off. I don't think those happen unless there is something more going on, or they really did not pan out as FBS level talent.

Transfers to FBS requiring sitting out a year are likely for younger players who still have a redshirt to burn, or younger players who have used a redshirt but still have at least two years eligibility post transfer.

With our losses on the interior defensive line and linebacker, I can't see any transfers until after spring camp.

I could definitely see some losses on the O-Line. I don't see us losing any more WRs. I mentioned Kam Martin, I could see some more RB attrition. And lastly, there is no way we keep so many QBs, especially if we somehow end up with Kelly Bryant. But even without Bryant, losing Stidham and gaining Nix, it is hard to see us with more than three QBs. I do not think we are good at developing QB talent, so we can get someone like a Joey Gatewood, but not refine him. They either have to be a natural (which we clearly hope Bo Nix is), or a transfer developed by someone else. So I could see Willis or Gatewood (or perhaps both) transfer.

3 minutes ago, meh130 said:

The only reason a player transfers is to improve their NFL draft potential. The primary way to improve NFL draft potential is to increase playing time.

All great points, but I don't think improving draft potential is the only  reason.  Sometimes you just want to get away from a dumpster fire...which I think is a huge possibility that may influence some players we may think are otherwise coming back.

46 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

All great points, but I don't think improving draft potential is the only  reason.  Sometimes you just want to get away from a dumpster fire...which I think is a huge possibility that may influence some players we may think are otherwise coming back.

Agreed. He will be the coach , but I just don't think we finish as high as past years in recruiting this coming year. We are in such desperate need of so much and I for one just don't think Malzahn can turn AU into at least a consensus Top 15 team. I mean come on, the guy has had six years and the program really shows zero improvement. The longer he's here, the further AU falls behind the teams he has beaten and even further behind to the teams he is generally unable to beat. Think about it, beating GA and Bama last year really did nothing. They played for the Title and as usual, his teams were ill prepared come Sec champ game and the bowl game. We had 2 losses before this wins and then won two and turned around and crapped the bed the last two. Zero consudtency during his tenure with the exception that one year out of every four or so he gets a talented enough QB to run that ridiculous offense that is just painful to watch. So yes, we will lose out on high caliber recruits and the ones we do sign, will never be developed into the talent they truly possess! I am yet to see him develop a talented QB and take him to the next level. 

If Gus returns........... well I will just stick to the only thing I do well in here and let the GIFs do the talking about how I would feel about it! lol @fredst Mr Fred feel free to piggyback off of this! haha.

ron.jpg

archie.gif

lebowski.gif

nph.gif

I dont know  if i was them i would look at tre williams.   he was pretty good and would have possibly benifited  or atleast gotten 1 more year of competetive football before leaving the program.   If they choose to leave early for the nfl they need to realize that they my not play another game in the US in their life. 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If Gus returns........... well I will just stick to the only thing I do well in here and let the GIFs do the talking about how I would feel about it! lol @fredst Mr Fred feel free to piggyback off of this! haha.

ron.jpg

archie.gif

lebowski.gif

nph.gif

In case @fredst leaves you hanging...

Ko05.gif

OEHg.gif

A-Horrible-Russian-Military-Prace-Accident-Just-Waiting-To-Happen.gif

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

In case @fredst leaves you hanging...

Ko05.gif

OEHg.gif

A-Horrible-Russian-Military-Prace-Accident-Just-Waiting-To-Happen.gif

tenor.gif

HAHAHAHA you sir post a mean gif yourself!!! Love it fam!

If they go they go.  Asa would be my first guess as a guy who bolts.  Coaches may have screwed him over with his redshirt and he’s not even seen the field since Miss State that I’m aware of.  I think I heard that Calvin Ashley isn’t even on campus anymore on that Jay Tate podcast.  Everybody keeps talking about Joey leaving.  If Bo is going to come in and start as a freshman then I’m not sure why any of the Qbs other than Willis would stay.  If I’m Cord I might be checking in with Mullen again because UF needs a decent Qb too.  At this point if they aren’t at Auburn for Auburn then they need to go somewhere they want to be.

44 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

I dont know  if i was them i would look at tre williams.   he was pretty good and would have possibly benifited  or atleast gotten 1 more year of competetive football before leaving the program.   If they choose to leave early for the nfl they need to realize that they my not play another game in the US in their life. 

Tre Williams was here for a full 4 years. His issue was more health related.  He is super talented, and was the brain of our defense last year.  But he just got injured often.  Great Auburn guy and happy to have him here this year helping us in recruiting.  

Archived