Malzahn Presser 11-13-2018

Auburn Kev

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

This is a problem?

I didn't say whether it was a good or bad thing, but only AU fans who pay attention to this type of stuff know Stidz is gone -- it's not some national narrative because Stidham's pro stock has dropped like a rock. Previously it was thought by casual college football fans that he would go pro. But that is looking less likely with each passing game so I think the general consensus of those not in the know is that Stidham will be our senior QB next season.

For Gus to publicly say something that insinuates our eligible-to-return QB is not going to be in the QB picture next year (by essentially saying they don't know who the QB will be) is a big deal for Gus considering he's an expert at not revealing anything truthful in pressers.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no insider info, but I'd think that the team would prefer to have a QB that isn't laughing on the sideline while getting our fannies spanked by a rival. 

To what Gus said about being better on offense regardless of the QB, it's awful hard to be worse than this year, so he's probably right by default. 

49 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Image result for we were almost there gif

Gus sounds very Shula'ish with comments like that.  We're sooooo close, with a play here or a completion there we're having a different discussion, we have a lot of youth but these guys will get better and better, we're only a couple of plays away from where we want to be, etc.  

I knew Gus pulled the "youth" card on Greene the moment he mentioned it in his "Coach of the Future" comments last Tuesday.

If the AU Administration (Greene included) are gullible enough to believe anything that comes out of his mouth then they all deserve the same bashing Gus is getting from the media and fan base.

21 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I have no insider info, but I'd think that the team would prefer to have a QB that isn't laughing on the sideline while getting our fannies spanked by a rival. 

To what Gus said about being better on offense regardless of the QB, it's awful hard to be worse than this year, so he's probably right by default. 

I saw a post somewhere Saturday night where someone said, "If you have a policy of continually bringing in mercenaries (in Gus' case transfer QBs), eventually you're going to have one that actually behaves and feels like a mercenary."  

You gotta think if we the fans are done with this mess by now, then so is the mercenary QB.:sad2:

2 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

The following is reassuring :no:

Well, one way to find the silver lining is Brian Kelly said the same thing the last few years when he was on the hot seat and has seemed to turn things around.  Who knows.  Hope is the only thing we can do as fans.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I saw a post somewhere Saturday night where someone said, "If you have a policy of continually bringing in mercenaries (in Gus' case transfer QBs), eventually you're going to have one that actually behaves and feels like a mercenary."  

You gotta think if we the fans are done with this mess by now, then so is the mercenary QB.:sad2:

Damn...I hadn't thought about it from this angle. I was more along the lines of acknowledging how weak it is to never be able to recruit, sign, develop, and find success with a QB from HS but thinking that we could mitigate this weakness by getting transfers -- because we have been pretty successful doing that. I used to think it didn't matter where we got good QBs from as long as we got them, but what you're saying is making me question my stance on it. 

I recall seeing Fromm on the sideline with a coach and some offensive linemen, talking, and with an intense look on his face. 

I recall seeing Stidham standing next to a grad assistant, smiling and laughing, while the team is losing.  I have regretfully concluded that Stidham is just not invested with this team. 

34 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I like this x 10. 

PS...there are so many things wrong with this team.  It is incumbent for the HC to fix the problems.  It is also incumbent for the HC not to create the problems.  

We had a good plan going in? They had a plan that had Stidham throwing more short yardage passes in the history of the program. and he calls that a good plan. I just can't anymore. Please fire him yesterday. I will donate my retirement savings

28 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There's no way stidham would beat out their current QB at Oklahoma

He's not gonna be there after this year

Edit: Posted before I saw @SumterAubie's link

48 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Damn...I hadn't thought about it from this angle. I was more along the lines of acknowledging how weak it is to never be able to recruit, sign, develop, and find success with a QB from HS but thinking that we could mitigate this weakness by getting transfers -- because we have been pretty successful doing that. I used to think it didn't matter where we got good QBs from as long as we got them, but what you're saying is making me question my stance on it. 

Oh, don't get me wrong here.  Gus' bread 'n butter has been transfer QBs since he's been here and he's done well with them. 

I only quoted another poster because of the statement that our QB was laughing it up on the sidelines while the team was getting their asses handed to them by one of our biggest rivals.  If Stidham doesn't appear to put a lot of heart and soul into winning or losing then is he really to blame?  He's was a hired gun/mercenary, he did well last year and saw his stock rise as a result.  This year he's obviously regressed, much like the rest of this team.

I'm not against getting band-aids (JUCO/Transfers/players from other teams with character flaws) if they're able to stop the bleeding even for a short spell. 

41 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Is not Kyler Murray moving on to pro baseball in 2019? 

Yeah but Jarrett Stidham < Kyler Murray.

I used to have a higher opinion of his ability.  ...and with a really good offensive line he'd be probably be pretty good... But I've watched a few OU games this year and he ain't no KM.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Oh, don't get me wrong here.  Gus' bread 'n butter has been transfer QBs since he's been here and he's done well with them. 

I only quoted another poster because of the statement that our QB was laughing it up on the sidelines while the team was getting their asses handed to them by one of our biggest rivals.  If Stidham doesn't appear to put a lot of heart and soul into winning or losing then is he really to blame?  He's was a hired gun/mercenary, he did well last year and saw his stock rise as a result.  This year he's obviously regressed, much like the rest of this team.

I'm not against getting band-aids (JUCO/Transfers/players from other teams with character flaws) if they're able to stop the bleeding even for a short spell. 

That's certainly the risk you take bringing in guys for quick stints. We have been pretty good with it unless we are just throwing hail marys out there on the recruiting trail (JF3). But I think it may have finally come back to bite us

57 minutes ago, shabby said:

We had a good plan going in? They had a plan that had Stidham throwing more short yardage passes in the history of the program. and he calls that a good plan. I just can't anymore. Please fire him yesterday. I will donate my retirement savings

Guster has no clue yet he promises no matter who's at QB next year, the offense will be better.  Hell, it's at rock bottom today Gus!

59 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He's not gonna be there after this year

Edit: Posted before I saw @SumterAubie's link

It would still be a fight against the back up. I started to ask you on your post you said imagine js at Oklahoma. I didn't want to sound like I was coming at you the wrong way because we're cool as ice. So don't take it wrong but what do you see out js to make you say that? I'm really just asking out of curiosity

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

02FDA2EC-E64B-44F2-8C32-FB98288626D5.gif

With the way we are getting our azz kicked in recruiting next year....it's all just a matter of time

2 hours ago, shabby said:

What’s even crazier is against UGA and Miss State the running game disappeared when the numbers show some success in each of those games.  Boobee and Worm has 13 combined carries.  Meanwhile as you mentioned Stid is throwning 36 times for like a buck30.  Auburn was in both those games and could have helped the defense out by running more.  The two straight passes with 2 yards to go?!  Gus brings in the Cox cat but won’t let Cox run for 2 yards?!  I think Gus is in his own head to a point that he doesn’t know his a$$ from his elbows.

Archived