Mississippi College Preview/Review

JwgreDeux

Our Tigers have looked about as good as could be hoped for and now get a final tune-up before heading off to Maui for some blockbuster games. This is a time to work off some rust for some of our returning players, to mix and match lineups for CBP and to work on ourselves. Running up and down the floor and shooting a bunch of threes isn't going to teach us anything about our Tigers. 

Mississippi College is a division II school and poses no threat to us, the only way we look bad is if we fail to perform. Taylor and Boston are MC's best players. Taylor is a guard and appears to be their team leader, Boston is a forward that leads them in scoring. I have only seen limited highlights of their games so have no insight on what kind of offense or defense they run. Judging by the scores of their game, this will be an easy night for the home team to do whatever they want. I will watch to see what CBP does with this game.

What are the rotations, how much time does Wiley get, do we come out focused or are we sleep walking. Don't expect to learn much, but may learn a few things. Again, nice tune-up before we head to Maui.

War Eagle!!!

Well, it is what it is, MC never had a chance. I did find it interesting that the broadcast mentioned that the stats, win etc will not officially count for Auburn on the season. 

• We started the game working on driving the ball to the goal, throwing it in the post to Okeke with his back to the goal, and working on some of the other things mentioned in this thread. We quickly reverted to our instinctual style, before a tv timeout and getting back to some intentional work. That pattern continued throughout, work/instinct and I think was managed pretty well by CBP. 
  • Defensive pressure was good most of the night. 
  • It was interesting to see the lineup of Harper, McCormick, Dunbar, Spencer and Wiley play together. McCormick ran the point in this lineup and had some designed plays to work a high/low game with Spencer and Wiley. Defensively this group looked pretty good, and ran some press falling back into a zone. Also had a very nice designed high screen and roll with Wiley and Harper, and Dunbar rim running when his man helped to Wiley, but Dunbar didn't convert the lob, nice design though. 
  • Wiley got a good amount of touches which should help his rust. 
  • We ran a zone several times, and it shakey much of the time. Good to work on though to have that option to show different looks. 
  • Wiley did a better job of establishing favorable position before the catch in the post, and was very effective early in the game. 
  • it was 5+ minutes before they ever got a bucket. 
  • I thought the team overall looked engaged and focused on getting some work in, this was about as good as it could have gone, mixiing work and play. 
  • Chuma was passive by intent to give other guys chances to work on their game. 
  • Brown and Harper looked unaffected by their poor shooting night vs Washington. 
  • Spencer had one of the best games he's had in an Auburn uniform.
  • We built a 25-2 lead and then coasted into the half up 19.
  • The high pick and role with Okeke was nice to see, with Okeke poping most of the time, but cutting a few times.
  • I'm not sure I've ever seen a 35-0 run before, that was something else.

On to Maui and looking forward to some early season tournament ball. 

I'm prepared to not win by as much as I might expect due to the 'tune-up' nature of this game—similar to the exhibition. I really hope we use any opportunity we can to work on Wiley's game tonight without wearing him out. If BP plays with different lineups, it will add some intrigue as well.

It will be a good game for Mississippi College to have under their belts too as their season progresses.

Part of me hopes we play lethargic and give CBP some ammo in preparing for next week.  I hope wiley gets a pile of minutes.  nothing like game shape.  I hope he puts the walk-on's in with 7-9 minutes to go and then coaches them hard and puts really high expectations on their performance.  I just don't see how we benefit significantly as a team, but hope McCormick and Wiley get a bunch of minutes to work on their game/fitness and Doughty works a bunch at the 1, as well.

I plan on watching most/all of this game, cuz this team and Pearl are a blast to watch.

The more I think about this game, I really don't understand why it's on the schedule. This D2 school is not even a good D2 school. They are a bad team and have been bad for several years. Yes we can let some guys work on their games, and some live conditioning work, but that may be the only upside. 

CBP is evenly opening discussing the teams we will face in Maui, not even hiding that we aren't focusing on MC.

39 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Part of me hopes we play lethargic and give CBP some ammo in preparing for next week.  I hope wiley gets a pile of minutes.  nothing like game shape.  I hope he puts the walk-on's in with 7-9 minutes to go and then coaches them hard and puts really high expectations on their performance.  I just don't see how we benefit significantly as a team, but hope McCormick and Wiley get a bunch of minutes to work on their game/fitness and Doughty works a bunch at the 1, as well.

I plan on watching most/all of this game, cuz this team and Pearl are a blast to watch.

I want to see McCormick get some minutes as well, if for nothing else to help him find his groove. He's going to be key for us this year. Those 10-12 minutes per game he's going to be asked to run the show is going to be critical when we start hitting the meat of our schedule (and next week)

Read this from CBP:

"The only D1 teams we could find for this game had really high RPI, which could destroy your own RPI even if you win. Playing a D2 school like Mississippi College will only hurt your tournament resume if you lose."

Interesting that metrics penalize you for playing bad D1 teams but not D2 teams.

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I want to see McCormick get some minutes as well, if for nothing else to help him find his groove. He's going to be key for us this year. Those 10-12 minutes per game he's going to be asked to run the show is going to be critical when we start hitting the meat of our schedule (and next week)

The little I've seen of McCormick so far, he reminds me more of one of the wide-eyed walkons than a scholly player.  It will take him alot of minutes to get confident.  I cant tell if he has the skills or not.  I can definitely tell the guy is freakishly quick.  That alone should worry opposing teams.  If he can show a decent perimeter shot, then he'd be tough to guard close because he'd always be a threat to drive and dish.

3 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Read this from CBP:

"The only D1 teams we could find for this game had really high RPI, which could destroy your own RPI even if you win. Playing a D2 school like Mississippi College will only hurt your tournament resume if you lose."

Interesting that metrics penalize you for playing bad D1 teams but not D2 teams.

I had wondered if there was some staff relationship to this team or somethign.  One of the cool things about basketball is there is often enough schedule flexibility to play teams near a player/coaches hometown and whatnot.  That along with Europe, Bahamas, Hawaii etc... All are great recruiting tools.

CBP can tell kids - look, if you come play for Auburn, we will take you on free trips to Europe, Hawaii, Madison Square Garden and other cool places every year.  You just gotta come and make us good enough to go.

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

The more I think about this game, I really don't understand why it's on the schedule. This D2 school is not even a good D2 school. They are a bad team and have been bad for several years. Yes we can let some guys work on their games, and some live conditioning work, but that may be the only upside. 

CBP is evenly opening discussing the teams we will face in Maui, not even hiding that we aren't focusing on MC.

The team has already started preparing for Xavier. I think they just spent a day preparing for Mississippi College, beginning yesterday.

31 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

The little I've seen of McCormick so far, he reminds me more of one of the wide-eyed walkons than a scholly player.  It will take him alot of minutes to get confident.  I cant tell if he has the skills or not.  I can definitely tell the guy is freakishly quick.  That alone should worry opposing teams.  If he can show a decent perimeter shot, then he'd be tough to guard close because he'd always be a threat to drive and dish.

I think McCormick has looked very serviceable. He has played the 2 alongside Harper a few times. Averaging 3 pts, 3 boards and 2 assists per game. His shooting percentage is a bit low, but it's early and we have a small sample size.  I think he will be a good back up. I wish he were bigger, but it is what it is. 

I hope if Okeke is sore that they let him sit.  No need to hurt that hip and not have him available for the Maui tournament. 

19 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m guessing there is no tv broadcast.  Streaming only?

shows SEC+  which I think is the alternate SEC channel.....we get it here but apparently not all cable carries it?    :dunno:

I'd like to see Dunbar get a lot of minutes, allow him to work on his game, maybe his dribble drive and more ball handling. 

I'd like to see us throw it into the post to McLemore, Spencer, Wiley and Okeke with their backs to the goal and see some postup offense.

I'd like to see McCormick get some extended minutes running the point.

and some dribble drive Iso's.

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

shows SEC+  which I think is the alternate SEC channel.....we get it here but apparently not all cable carries it?    :dunno:

Time?

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Time?

7PM central

16 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Okeke is out with a precautionary injury. 

Really wanna see Austin ball out. Would also love to see Bryce get hot and get 20+ because we'll need him to be on his A game in Maui

what the hell is this?....i don't remember him getting hurt............awwwww man....what you know about this gene?

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No I don’t think it’s the alternate channel. I think it’s the online option. 

56 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

UPDATE:...no big deal....just checked with hooks and he tweaked it on monday and will be fine next week

Is Hooks on here?  He needs to be if not. 

Over/Under minutes CBP works up a lather?  

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

No I don’t think it’s the alternate channel. I think it’s the online option. 

OK....maybe watch ESPN ? 

Guess we will see in an hour....:dunno:

https://auburntigers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Go to the above site...check down to the Miss College game on the schedule and note the links they provide to watch or listen on the right side of the screen.   I'm never sure which ones are correct but a good place to start and hopefully the got it right tonight and you can get a direct route to the game.

Good luck..

30 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Is Hooks on here?  He needs to be if not. 

pretty sure he is not, but i sure would like to see him on here....like cole or not, he knows basketball and it would neat to read what hooks and him could come up with...hooks is the EF HUTTON of AU basketball

Archived