RB Dominos

ellitor

With McIntosh off the board there are 3 known tier 1 RB targets left.

Mark-Antony Richards: AU-Penn St. battle. Leary of PSU. Gotta hit a homerun with his OV in December.
DJ Williams: AU, Miami, Texas battle. Most leary of Miami. Edgerin James' nephew who went to Miami. OV to AU this weekend.
Noah Cain: AU, Texas, Penn St. Battle. Most leary of his mom's home state Texas. Could land at AU by default if Texas lands another of the few other RBs they are recruiting.

Very real possibility AU misses on all their top RB targets.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the rated Alabama HS kids and almost a dry hole for running backs this year.    What's going on ?   

Best RBs in the state are down about #45 on the list of top players according to 247 Sports.     Seems that when we don't have any RB talent in state that we are almost always coming in second for the better rated RBs around the region.  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Looking at the rated Alabama HS kids and almost a dry hole for running backs this year.    What's going on ?   

Best RBs in the state are down about #45 on the list of top players according to 247 Sports.     Seems that when we don't have any RB talent in state that we are almost always coming in second for the better rated RBs around the region.  

RB, like most positions in this state goes in cycles. There's not an in state high level RB w/ P5 potential every year.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

RB, like most positions in this state goes in cycles. There's not an in state high level RB w/ P5 potential every year.

Looks like this year there are few guys even classed as 4*.    Guess that's hard to foresee a few years in advance but when we get down to recruiting out of state for RBs with probability of playing in the SEC the number of competitors for their services seems to jump hugely....which reduces our chances...not just bama we are up against. 

Not sure how we overcome that during the "off years" for bama talent.   I know our current OL does not impress RB prospects but AU's style of play has been very RB friendly over the years but we've clearly been out-recruited by bama and georgia for RBs lately.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

we've clearly been out-recruited by bama and georgia for RBs lately.

Not really for Bama. In the past 5 years they wanted Asa, Roc, & Kerryon for sure and I think they wanted Jovon also nut not 100 sure on that one. In that same time we only wanted Najee Harris who they landed.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not really for Bama. In the past 5 years they wanted Asa, Roc, & Kerryon for sure and I think they wanted Jovon also nut not 100 sure on that one. In that same time we only wanted Najee Harris who they landed.

not thinking head to head but seems their RB situation has been better than ours for several years and dawgs of course had and have some serious talent.    Wondering if overall that  Alabama HS talent is as strong lately as in years past.   Oh well....hoping Horton pulls a rabbit out of the hat this year.  And that some of the guys in our background like Asa are able to reach the next level.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not really for Bama. In the past 5 years they wanted Asa, Roc, & Kerryon for sure

No they slow played Roc and even denied Roc a commitment twice in his junior year because they wanted Fournette. Sure Bama tried to make a late push after Fournette  chose LSU, but it’s not like Bama “wanted” Roc. They wanted Roc as much as we wanted GG Robinson. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

seems their RB situation has been better than ours for several years

Because they develop & use their RBs better than we do.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wondering if overall that  Alabama HS talent is as strong lately as in years past.

Overall yes. In fact Bama went more national & regional the past couple classes before this one because they viewed in state talent weaken those years than now. They have come back to AL some this class. @020 looks to be really good FWIW.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Oh well....hoping Horton pulls a rabbit out of the hat this year.

With our top targets being from Florida it's likely Porter will have to be doing the pulling.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No they slow played Roc and even denied Roc a commitment twice in his junior year because they wanted Fournette. Sure Bama tried to make a late push after Fournette  chose LSU

I know all that Jeff. I was talking about the end & near the end & at those points which is where it counts most Bama wanted Roc

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

but it’s not like Bama “wanted” Roc.

In the end yes they did as I pointed out above. Lane Kiffin tried hard in December & January just before Roc signed to get Bama involved.

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They wanted Roc as much as we wanted GG Robinson. 

GG was never a take for AU. Roc was a take for Bama the last few months of that cycle.

Feels like I am in lala land. We can't get good RBs to go to AU. Crazy stuff. Almost like "anywhere but AU". The negative recruiting against us must be very bad right now. 

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I know all that Jeff. I was talking about the end & near the end & at those points which is where it counts most Bama wanted Roc

Well if Bama wanted him for more than a month, they probably could’ve gotten him is all I’m saying. Bama whiffed because they slow played him just like how we slow played GG.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

GG was never a take for AU

He said otherwise but okay.

Linkey: https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/01/legacy_gg_robinson_says_auburn.amp

32 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The negative recruiting against us must be very bad right now. 

Like running layup drills for our competitors.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

After all the damn hard work Horton has been putting in....hard to imagine how this happens....

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

With our top targets being from Florida it's likely Porter will have to be doing the pulling.

That actually makes me feel better with Horton doing the work.  I like Horton, but I just feel like his heart hasn’t been in it the last few years with him looking for HC jobs.  

5 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Feels like I am in lala land. We can't get good RBs to go to AU. Crazy stuff. Almost like "anywhere but AU". The negative recruiting against us must be very bad right now. 

Yes, unfortunately it's on display each Saturday.

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

AU's style of play has been very RB friendly over the years

Respectfully, that's very much up for debate, at least relative to the competition.

While we have put up a lot of rushing yards, we have mostly done it for 1 guy per season and it has required a LOT of touches. Tre Mason was the only one to sniff an opportunity at a major award. We have had 2 guys drafted in the top 3 rounds. Our main rivals- as well as the other top programs in the country- can all claim much more success by most major metrics. The 1,000 yard rusher streak- blessedly over now- and leading the league in rushing aren't as useful from a recruiting standpoint as some Auburn fans want them to be. 

IMO. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Respectfully, that's very much up for debate, at least relative to the competition.

While we have put up a lot of rushing yards, we have mostly done it for 1 guy per season and it has required a LOT of touches. Tre Mason was the only one to sniff an opportunity at a major award. We have had 2 guys drafted in the top 3 rounds. Our main rivals- as well as the other top programs in the country- can all claim much more success by most major metrics. The 1,000 yard rusher streak- blessedly over now- and leading the league in rushing aren't as useful from a recruiting standpoint as some Auburn fans want them to be. 

IMO. 

Could be....and of late many AU fans are urging coaches to get away from the running game too....clamoring for an air raid offense and 50 passes per game but generally we've gotten our share of local talent I guess....but the state seems to be losing ground relative to other football crazy states in the south.  You mention Tre, but KJ was something special and Artis-Payne pretty good too...but looking at the top players in the state this year, not much in the way of RB candidates.  Plus, for a couple years, our QBs were running threats that balanced the load on the RBs....which we have not had the past two years. 

So now we attract WRs instead of RBs I guess.

PS...this year is about the worst year for our RB situation that I can remember....had some good prospects who did not make it in the past...Pettway, Robinson and maybe some others but always had at least one solid reliable guy....but not so for this year. 

15 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Im not too worried  Gus said the future looks bright. 

Agreed.  Gus has been wonderfully open & transparent through his career.

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

With McIntosh off the board there are 3 known tier 1 RB targets left.

Mark-Antony Richards: AU-Penn St. battle. Leary of PSU. Gotta hit a homerun with his OV in December.
DJ Williams: AU, Miami, Texas battle. Most leary of Miami. Edgerin James' nephew who went to Miami. OV to AU this weekend.
Noah Cain: AU, Texas, Penn St. Battle. Most leary of his mom's home state Texas. Could land at AU by default if Texas lands another of the few other RBs they are recruiting.

MAR is a AU vs Penn St battle? 

18 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

MAR is a AU vs Penn St battle? 

Problem with some of the out of state guys who don't take the instate school is that we end up competing with national schools...Penn State, Michigan, Texas, etc which might have some appeal for kids thinking to get away from home and play for a good program.  

Wondering what our fall back position is ….expect we don't have all our eggs in just one small basket.....hope not anyway... 

Archived