Hastings, Stove and .....

tigerman1186

On 11/15/2018 at 11:33 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

To me Seth is the suprise player of the year. He attacks the ball with his hands, doesn't drop many, and is getting better blocking, runs great routes, can get 50/50 balls, gets separation, ...I think he had the talent that with the right QB and right system he could be a blitnekof winner and 1st round talent

I didn't know much about him, never saw any hilights. But from I read I just felt he had the God given ability to be a special player. Now I'm really glad he didn't end up in Tuscaloosa. 

:tdau:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WarEagleSteve

More and more I'm convinced that the two biggest determining factors of a football player's success are work ethic and finding the right coach. At this level and in the NFL, talent is a given. You don't get your foot in the door without it. Work ethic is all on the individual but the right marriage of coach and player makes an enormous difference. Sure there are some guys who are going to show out regardless (Calvin Johnson at GT for instance) but it really does seem to me that landing in the right coaching situation is the real difference maker. For example would Drew Brees have become who he is without Sean Payton? What would Tim Tebow's college career have been if he had chosen Mike Shula's Alabama over Florida? 

All of this is to say that our recent history at the wide receiver position leads me to believe that talented players leaving is less a result of their ability and more of a result of them not fitting the (extremely limited) scheme and desiring more opportunity. Gus' offense is not what I would call WR or QB friendly. To wit, here's a fun thought experiment: what kind of numbers do you think this same group of guys (or hell, you can use last year's crew as well if you want to factor NCM in) would put up if we ran a scheme like Ole Miss? 

Archived