Secondary school

DAG

Seems like there isn’t much to be excited about on this board with Gus coming back and no way of knowing who is going and who will be leaving. I have seen quite a few posters say, they will spend their Saturday's doing other things instead of tuning into Auburn. I have too much football in my DNA to let one individual ruin college football Saturday for me. A big reason is that I love to watch talented football being displayed. Another reason: secondary schools. I am sure we all bleed orange and blue through and through, but you can’t tell me I am the only one who roots for another school when Auburn isn’t playing. So this thread is simple. What other school do you root for or at least enjoy watching and why?

For me it is Michigan and that is partly due to the fact that I am a big fan of coach Harbaugh. It has now been exacerbated since I will start my doctorate there this spring. A lot of excitement with potential playoff expectations.

I also enjoy Washington State play with coach leach there. He just makes the game fun and I am always fascinated by these air raid offenses when they are clicking. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, DAG said:

What other school do you root for or at least enjoy watching and why?

Great thread. I don’t have a team as much as a conference. I really enjoy watching PAC12 games. They have great athletes, have very few plays reviewed, use less timeouts, and just play faster. SEC games are way too slow with way too many interruptions. Also, the announcers  don’t talk about Bama all day. Plus the cheerleaders are much above average. 😂

My alma mater Air Force is first in my heart, just a whisker ahead of AU.  The ability to stream sports has made a huge difference. I can watch all AF football and some AF Basketball and Ice Hockey games as well as listen to the radio broadcast of many events.  In my much younger days with football televised only on the Big 3 networks, you were lucky to see your team on TV once a year. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Seems like there isn’t much to be excited about on this board with Gus coming back and no way of knowing who is going and who will be leaving. I have seen quite a few posters say, they will spend their Saturday's doing other things instead of tuning into Auburn. I have too much football in my DNA to let one individual ruin college football Saturday for me. A big reason is that I love to watch talented football being displayed. Another reason: secondary schools. I am sure we all bleed orange and blue through and through, but you can’t tell me I am the only one who roots for another school when Auburn isn’t playing. So this thread is simple. What other school do you root for or at least enjoy watching and why?

For me it is Michigan and that is partly due to the fact that I am a big fan of coach Harbaugh. It has now been exacerbated since I will start my doctorate there this spring. A lot of excitement with potential playoff expectations.

I also enjoy Washington State play with coach leech there. He just makes the game fun and I am always fascinated by these air raid offenses when they are clicking. 

I have a team from each conference that I seemed to gain a liking for. Plus I graduated from the reigning National Champions, UCF.

AAC - UCF, I'm an alumni

ACC - North Carolina State, I despise FSU and their fans. The wolfpack have a less than typical mascot and pull random upsets pretty frequently.

Big 12 - West Virginia, ever since the "rain game" I have respected the Mountaineers. My answer used to be Oklahoma but I've had too many twitter interactions with their fans and the arrogance is astounding. Nearly got crucified for insinuating a move between Auburn and Oklahoma would be, more or less, a lateral move.

Big 10 - Penn State easily. I still think Petrino got scapegoated in all of that and I still respect the hell out of the man. Couple that with their tremendous wrestling program and they're the easy choice for me. Though, admittedly, I pull for anyone playing against Ohio State or the arrogant Michigan; no offense but Michigan fans remind me of Georgia fans implying it's always "their year" and then struggling to win the conference.

C-USA - Now I'm going to cheat and pick multiple teams (when I played the NCAA video games I loved taking terrible teams and escalating them to prominence). Charlotte because I had a really close friend go play for them in their first year as a D1 program and I love pulling for programs new to D1. UAB because I pull for all Alabama teams not named "Alabama". Old Dominion quite frankly because I like their campus and logo haha.

MAC - Buffalo. Again, I played a lot of NCAA and Buffalo was my team many times. Glad to see them doing well without me at the sticks.

MWC - Hawaii. How frickin' cool would it be to play D1 football and live in Hawaii? Like their colors and they're forever the "Rainbow Warriors" in my heart.

PAC 12 - Washington. Like the mascot, colors, area, and campus. Love their coach and the way they perform without top tier talent. Again, I pull for anyone who might beat a team like USC.

Sun Belt - Troy and South Alabama. Like I said above, I really pull for almost all of the Alabama teams to be successful.

***Side note - I'm biased against many teams that wear red and it seems like some of the worst fanbases come from red wearing teams. Bama, Georgia, FSU, Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma, and I don't even care for most Arkansas fans. Everyone knows if you're drawing a hero and a villain, red is bad while blue is good!

6 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

Virginia Tech for me. I typically will tune in to watch Texas Tech or Oklahoma State.

Old Dominion. Ouch

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Great thread. I don’t have a team as much as a conference. I really enjoy watching PAC12 games. They have great athletes, have very few plays reviewed, use less timeouts, and just play faster. SEC games are way too slow with way too many interruptions. Also, the announcers  don’t talk about Bama all day. Plus the cheerleaders are much above average. 😂

SEC games can be boring as hell...I love when the announcers spin it like it just such great defenses, but truth be told, many times it’s due to limited offense efficiency.

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

nodoubt.gif

In the words of our great coach, "no doubt."

When we played Oregon in the NCG my eyes were opened to this fact. Saw a USC game on the other night too and I was stunned.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Old Dominion. Ouch

Yeah - between AU and VT it has been a rough season!

At least my fantasy football team is tearing it up!

My dad went to Florida so I root for them, luckily we don't play them often.  I watch a good bit of Michigan State games due to my GF being a fan.  They are almost like watching Auburn this year, zero offense.

I like PAC12 teams too.  I enjoy Washington and Washington State especially and try to catch their games.  I'm an SEC first spectator first and foremost, but I like to catch the west coast folks as well.

Sorry @Zeek, I have to go Michigan because I think they have the greatest helmets and fight song in college football; met a delightful couple while fishing the Keys this spring that were huge UM fans which made me think that they are ok folks; not a fan of Harbaugh honestly. Love PSU wrestling and all things Cale Sanderson but can't pull for their football- was never a Paterno fan, especially after the Sandusky mess came to light.

Oh, and TCU. My oldest daughter and a good bit of my money go there now. I’m sporting a a lot of TCU gear these days. Fear the Frog 🐸!

My secondary team has always been Stanford. Classy school with a good coach. I have recently started pulling for Wash St too in the past couple of years, due to them having the coolest coach on the planet. 

32 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

My secondary team has always been Stanford. Classy school with a good coach. I have recently started pulling for Wash St too in the past couple of years, due to them having the coolest coach on the planet. 

Leach is super entertaining and quite frankly, you need that at times. It would've been so interesting to see him at Tennessee. Part of the reason why I kind of miss seeing Lane Kiffin in the SEC. Those personalities transcend into rivalries and such. I love when coaches display goofy or unique personalities and I imagine the young men like it too.

I've always been a fan of any Mike Leach team. Back in the NCAA day I would always either use Texas Tech or steal their playbook for whichever team I was using.

Started at Auburn but finished at UAB. Go Blazers.

My parents met at Arkansas. Woo Pig Sooie, now. During the Petrino/Bielema years, I rooted very hard against them because I just really hated those guys. I'm hoping that they can achieve and sustain respectability under Morris, with one obvious asterisk.

Honestly, though, I have extremely limited time for watching TV and the only sports I'm able to schedule around are Auburn, Atlanta United and Falcons, and Arsenal if I'm very lucky. 

I don't really have any other particular teams I can tune in for. I just hope to randomly catch a good game in the 4th quarter every now and then. Doesn't really matter who the teams are.

Great topic, @DAG

Michigan...Go Blue. Family alums and I became a huge football fan during the D Howard and C Woodson days....that’s about the only other team I follow closely. I glance @ the U because I lived there a while back. I despise all other SEC schools... All of em.. and my wife is a UA grad...she already knows the deal and my feelings towards Updyke U..she lets me have my hate.

Penn St. since the 70's for me. I liked Joe Pa. Hate what happened there for everyone concerned. I know this is about football but my other Basketball team is Duke. That being said it won't be hard at all to want them to lose in Maui if Auburn gets their chance.

12 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Penn St. since the 70's for me. I liked Joe Pa. Hate what happened there for everyone concerned. I know this is about football but my other Basketball team is Duke. That being said it won't be hard at all to want them to lose in Maui if Auburn gets their chance.

Duke is disgusting this year in basketball. Normally I hate their style but yeah , this year it is must see tv. 

UAB because i started my undergrad there.

Watch some VT games due to my brother getting his doctorate there and some Baylor since he now teaches there. Don't necessarily care if they win or lose near as much accept for when VT played FSU or Ohio State.

After that, i just look for entertaining matchups

I don't have a secondary school, I'll watch some Ohio State games because I'm in Cbus and my little brother is an alum. I'll also watch Big 12 games because they're fun to watch.

Archived