Secondary school

DAG

Vandy and GT were the only major schools that gave me a look coming out of high school so I've always kept an eye on them.  Plus I love Black and Gold together.  Not really a fan just watch and wish them well... sorry @augolf1716

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also like to watch Big 12 games. They play great offense which we don't and they sometimes play good defense which we sometimes do. I really enjoy watching Oklahoma St. Those guys really play offense.

1 minute ago, milehighfan said:

I also like to watch Big 12 games. They play great offense which we don't and they sometimes play good defense which we sometimes do. I really enjoy watching Oklahoma St. Those guys really play offense.

Okie State and our scheme are very similar.  Run game with deep shots.   Defensive play and defensive lineman in the 2 conferences aren't even comparable.  

I always like for Vandy to win just because it's a feel-good story when they score an upset.     They're also good for helping AU shed head coaches.     Lose at Vandy 2008, Tubs gone-zo.    Lose at Vandy 2012, Chiz buh-bye.    Bad news - I just checked and we don't play at Vandy again until 2023!

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Vandy and GT were the only major schools that gave me a look coming out of high school so I've always kept an eye on them.  Plus I love Black and Gold together.  Not really a fan just watch and wish them well... sorry @augolf1716

I'll over look it this just don't let it happen again buddy:poke:by the way my high school colors were also black and gold. I was a dirty playing DB all 155 pounds

When I first read the Thread Title I thought the argument was being made we were competing with lswho for the title of DBU!

Living in  South Carolina, I have many USCe friends and Clemson friends.. I can’t stand Clemson and their fans can be... well... bamaerish  so I watch Carolina when I am not watching Auburn. I just love football so I will watch anyone ..anytime. 

5 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

When I first read the Thread Title I thought the argument was being made we were competing with lswho for the title of DBU!

That would be laughable

9 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Living in  South Carolina, I have many USCe friends and Clemson friends.. I can’t stand Clemson and their fans can be... well... bamaerish  so I watch Carolina when I am not watching Auburn. I just love football so I will watch anyone ..anytime. 

My best friend's dad is a huge Gamecock fan.  A few years ago, when Holtz was still HC, my buddy took me up there to a game against UT.  

I've got to say, that was a godforsaken drive to a godforsaken location to watch a game.  And Carolina's never really been that good...ever.  But those fans were as knowledgeable and raucous as anyone at UF, thUga, bammer, etc.  Plus, they seemed like good people.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan, necessarily, but I did come away very impressed with Carolina fans.

I'm with selias, I don't generally watch any other college team play other than Auburn, but if I had to say another team it would watching my old high school on Friday nights.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Seems like there isn’t much to be excited about on this board with Gus coming back and no way of knowing who is going and who will be leaving. I have seen quite a few posters say, they will spend their Saturday's doing other things instead of tuning into Auburn. I have too much football in my DNA to let one individual ruin college football Saturday for me. A big reason is that I love to watch talented football being displayed. Another reason: secondary schools. I am sure we all bleed orange and blue through and through, but you can’t tell me I am the only one who roots for another school when Auburn isn’t playing. So this thread is simple. What other school do you root for or at least enjoy watching and why?

For me it is Michigan and that is partly due to the fact that I am a big fan of coach Harbaugh. It has now been exacerbated since I will start my doctorate there this spring. A lot of excitement with potential playoff expectations.

I also enjoy Washington State play with coach leech there. He just makes the game fun and I am always fascinated by these air raid offenses when they are clicking. 

LSU.  If I hadn't chosen to attend college at Auburn, I would have went to LSU.

And, any offense that Lane Kiffin is running.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

I also enjoy Washington State play with coach leech there. He just makes the game fun and I am always fascinated by these air raid offenses when they are clicking.

yep

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

My best friend's dad is a huge Gamecock fan.  A few years ago, when Holtz was still HC, my buddy took me up there to a game against UT.  

I've got to say, that was a godforsaken drive to a godforsaken location to watch a game.  And Carolina's never really been that good...ever.  But those fans were as knowledgeable and raucous as anyone at UF, thUga, bammer, etc.  Plus, they seemed like good people.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan, necessarily, but I did come away very impressed with Carolina fans.

Yep. Carolina has a very loyal and passionate fan base 

Alma mater:  University of North Alabama (great winning tradition-3 straight national titles from 93-95).  I also have several kids I have coached in High School who have played there or play there now.  Also is only a 15 minute drive from home.

Secondary D1 school(s):  Anyone who is playing SPUAT.  LOL!  Michigan has always been a fav as has Penn State (actually coached at a school that had identical uniforms as Penn State).  Also have always kind of liked the Gators.

My wife and her family are huge Clemson fans, and I've been to more games there than at Jordan-Hare. It's a phenomenal atmosphere and a lovely little city. I don't have a huge rooting interest but I do like to see her happy. 

I graduated from East Carolina for my Master's in public health, so I'm a Pirate. Dowdy-Ficklen stadium, when it's rocking, would fit right in in any bigger conference for atmosphere. No Quarter! 

I also did my internship at Camp Lejeune, and almost was in the Navy. I was (briefly) in the Air Force. So those service academies I will have a soft spot for too.

Other than that - pull for the underdog (particularly the perinneal ones like Vandy or Northwestern) or anyone playing Bama, UGA, SCar, UF, and pull against the big powerhouses.

21 hours ago, DAG said:

Leach is super entertaining and quite frankly, you need that at times. It would've been so interesting to see him at Tennessee. Part of the reason why I kind of miss seeing Lane Kiffin in the SEC. Those personalities transcend into rivalries and such. I love when coaches display goofy or unique personalities and I imagine the young men like it too.

Agreed. There’s always been a question about whether or not Leach would be able to do what he does in the SEC. I’m not sure either way. But given the mess we have, at least it would be more entertaining to listen to him than Gus. If we are doomed to mediocrity for a while, it would be much more palatable with a live wire like Leach at the podium. 

16 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

14 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Yep. Carolina has a very loyal and passionate fan base 

Hear, hear. Those are real, genuine college football fans. I knew before I moved to SC that I would have to pull Cocks (heh) if forced to choose. 

12 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

My wife and her family are huge Clemson fans, and I've been to more games there than at Jordan-Hare. It's a phenomenal atmosphere and a lovely little city. I don't have a huge rooting interest but I do like to see her happy. 

I graduated from East Carolina for my Master's in public health, so I'm a Pirate. Dowdy-Ficklen stadium, when it's rocking, would fit right in in any bigger conference for atmosphere. No Quarter! 

I also did my internship at Camp Lejeune, and almost was in the Navy. I was (briefly) in the Air Force. So those service academies I will have a soft spot for too.

Other than that - pull for the underdog (particularly the perinneal ones like Vandy or Northwestern) or anyone playing Bama, UGA, SCar, UF, and pull against the big powerhouses.

My sis-in-law is a Pirate, but I hadn't heard No Quarter! before. I like that. 

I am going to get killed for this but Notre Dame is my second school. Of course if they ever played against each other I would want Auburn to win 35-0... but alas - they will never play each other anyway. I was hoping AU would make it to the CFP so we could see it this year. Hahahaha what was I thinking. 

47 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I am going to get killed for this but Notre Dame is my second school. Of course if they ever played against each other I would want Auburn to win 35-0... but alas - they will never play each other anyway. I was hoping AU would make it to the CFP so we could see it this year. Hahahaha what was I thinking. 

Nah, man. I don't "pull for" the Irish but I have some alumni as friends and I really respect their whole thing. And that campus is really cool. 

Archived