The High Cost of Holding Onto Gus

aubiefifty

Article: The High Cost of Holding Onto a Fractured Relationship at AuburnPosted on 11/15/18 at 7:47 am

POSTED ON NOVEMBER 15, 2018 BY ADMIN

Marshall Column: The High Cost of Holding on to a Fractured Relationship at Auburn

Face it. This is not going to work. There’s too much division, too much timid leadership, too many people unwilling to change.

It’s time for somebody at Auburn University to admit that Gus Malzahn is the wrong coach for their school. There was a time when I thought he was the right coach. I thought he was a strong recruiter who would do what was needed to win. I thought he was an offensive innovator who was nimble enough to adapt when he needed to adapt, both during the game and during game preparation.

I was wrong. Terribly wrong.

Malzahn is going to do things his way, on his terms, with his assortment of gadgets that have become rusted and stale. That is not how coaches win at the highest levels in the Southeastern Conference.

Fads are fleeting. Personnel changes. Philosophies evolve or are trampled.

Because Malzahn’s personnel has changed and he hasn’t, his philosophy is getting trampled. Meanwhile, others are evolving and using variations of Malzahn’s offense and running it more effectively than he is, occasionally beating him.

Malzahn is held to the same standard as the best college coaches in the country. He is paid top money and competes against the top teams, so the standard is justified.

The best college coaches in the country, the ones he’s expected to beat, do whatever’s needed to win. They don’t decide to do things on their terms. The only terms that are important to them are wins, and it doesn’t matter how they do it.

Earlier this week, Malzahn said there was “no doubt’’ that he would return as head coach in 2019. Then Auburn President Steven Leath said he supported his athletic director, Allen Greene, who said after the victory over Texas A&M that Malzahn would be Auburn’s coach next season.

Do Greene and Leath believe Malzahn is Auburn’s head coach beyond 2019? Do they actually have confidence Malzahn can galvanize Auburn supporters? I can’t imagine they do, considering how this season has unfolded and the reactions of Auburn’s most influential supporters. If Malzahn is unable to restore faith in his program, he’s certain to collect that buyout long before his contract expires.

As disappointing as this season has been, as much as it’s evident that the high preseason rankings were unjustified, Auburn should likely be 9-1, no worse than 8-2. Instead, Auburn is 6-4, with 7-5 the likely final record. No loss was worse than the Tennessee loss and no play symbolized how stagnant the program has become than Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt snuffing out an Auburn trick play before the snap, resulting in an interception.

Later in the game, Pruitt recognized another play before the snap, yelling to a Tennessee defensive back that a pass was coming his way. Sure enough, it did. Pruitt, in all likelihood, is hardly the only coach who’s capable of deciphering Auburn’s plays. His display just happened to be more demonstrative.

All of this has become so predictable – the playcalling, the outcry from fans, the refusal by Malzahn to change, the university’s lack of leadership, and its decision to continue down a timid, uninspiring course. Does anyone believe the relationship between Malzahn and Auburn is going to work? It’s not, especially now that the program and its head coach have been so damaged. There appears to be no other outcome, at this point.

Someone with some leadership and vision needs to admit their mistakes and guide Auburn out of one of the biggest messes in its football history. Only Leath and Greene can do that, though, and they’ve already said Malzahn will return next season.

Leath might be the first to go if he’s trying to preserve his ego by refusing to admit he was wrong by giving Malzahn such a sizable contract. Either way, it’s obvious major changes are coming at Auburn because of what has happened this season. It’s only a matter of when and how much it will cost.

The damage is already incalculable.

By holding on to a fractured relationship, it’s likely to get even worse.

This post was edited on 11/15 at 7:48 am

free artiicle from another site. well i assume it is since an admin posted it and they do not allow premium posting from pay sites.......

As disappointing as this season has been, as much as it’s evident that the high preseason rankings were unjustified, Auburn should likely be 9-1, no worse than 8-2. Instead, Auburn is 6-4, with 7-5 the likely final record. No loss was worse than the Tennessee loss and no play symbolized how stagnant the program has become than Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt snuffing out an Auburn trick play before the snap, resulting in an interception.

Later in the game, Pruitt recognized another play before the snap, yelling to a Tennessee defensive back that a pass was coming his way. Sure enough, it did. Pruitt, in all likelihood, is hardly the only coach who’s capable of deciphering Auburn’s plays. His display just happened to be more demonstrative.

This happens on every team.  Coaches, linebackers, calling out plays by formation and alignment.  Not sure why the reporters the supposedly follow college football that this is a surprise to them.  

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

This happens on every team.  Coaches, linebackers, calling out plays by formation and alignment.  Not sure why the reporters the supposedly follow college football that this is a surprise to them.  

You're right Corch, it happens to every single team that plays sports.  Pruitt did nothing special, I don't know why reporters want to pile on Gus so much, adding insult to injury.  Hell, UT's 1st yr QB (Guantanamo) gained +300 yrds passing on this Auburn defense, shouldn't that have been more news worthy than what Pruitt did?

My scrawny little 9 yr old nephew who plays defense at the local Y termite league can shout out a formation or alignment and know what Auburn will run.  It's not rocket science.:dunno:

1 minute ago, keesler said:

You're right Corch, it happens to every single team that plays sports.  Pruitt did nothing special, I don't know why reporters want to pile on Gus so much, adding insult to injury.  Hell, UT's 1st yr QB (Guantanamo) gained +300 yrds passing on this Auburn defense, shouldn't that have been more news worthy than what Pruitt did?

My scrawny little 9 yr old nephew who plays defense at the local Y termite league can shout out a formation or alignment and know what Auburn will run.  It's not rocket science.:dunno:

I'm not saying it happens to every team that plays Auburn I'm saying it happens to every team that plays against an offense.  Watch Deshaun Davis the next 2 games over those games he will point out run plays and where the hole will be intended over and over.  He will probably do it 15-20 times each game.  He will also look back and transfer run assignment to the safety as well.  When you hear the defense say... "nothing they did surprised us"... that means they knew what was coming and prepared for it.  just execution is all the difference in the world.  

The jump balls in the UT game was one of those games where they made plays and our defensive backs didn't.  

31 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

How about when all of the fans, some with no coaching backgrounds whatsoever, know what play the team is about to run?

Well, let's first admit that it's a compliment and an honor to have people recognize your plays before you even run them.  It's something we're known for now and we love the attention. 

Second, it helps people enjoy the game more when they can see the set and predict what the defense will do to stuff the play.  People feel more involved with their team and it's something friends and family members can bond over...

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Well, let's first admit that it's a compliment and an honor to have people recognize your plays before you even run them.  It's something we're known for now and we love the attention. 

Second, it helps people enjoy the game more when they can see the set and predict what the defense will do to stuff the play.  People feel more involved with their team and it's something friends and family members can bond over...

It's also interesting that MSU & UT evidently executed their plays properly but I guess Auburn didn't.  I guess Auburn's players were inferior to them :glare:.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

It's also interesting that MSU & UT evidently executed their plays properly but I guess Auburn didn't.  I guess Auburn's players were inferior to them :glare:.

Yeah.  This execution thing is killing us.  Is that something that can be tested for?  Do vaccines/treatments even exist for something like that?

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'm not saying it happens to every team that plays Auburn I'm saying it happens to every team that plays against an offense.  Watch Deshaun Davis the next 2 games over those games he will point out run plays and where the hole will be intended over and over.  He will probably do it 15-20 times each game.  He will also look back and transfer run assignment to the safety as well.  When you hear the defense say... "nothing they did surprised us"... that means they knew what was coming and prepared for it.  just execution is all the difference in the world.  

The jump balls in the UT game was one of those games where they made plays and our defensive backs didn't.  

Excuses make me 🤮 

5 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

You think in the second half of MSU the Auburn defense didn’t have a clue what they were gonna run 90 percent of the time in the inside zone read...  lol you’re joking right?  Or on 3rd and long UT wasn’t throwing the jump ball to the sideline 

3 hours ago, wcware said:

Excuses make me 🤮 

What excuse our offense has been s*** but no for lack of scheme.  Same scheme as last year except with more throwing.  It’s and execution issue not scheme.

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Article: The High Cost of Holding Onto a Fractured Relationship at AuburnPosted on 11/15/18 at 7:47 am

POSTED ON NOVEMBER 15, 2018 BY ADMIN

Marshall Column: The High Cost of Holding on to a Fractured Relationship at Auburn

Face it. This is not going to work. There’s too much division, too much timid leadership, too many people unwilling to change.

It’s time for somebody at Auburn University to admit that Gus Malzahn is the wrong coach for their school. There was a time when I thought he was the right coach. I thought he was a strong recruiter who would do what was needed to win. I thought he was an offensive innovator who was nimble enough to adapt when he needed to adapt, both during the game and during game preparation.

I was wrong. Terribly wrong.

Malzahn is going to do things his way, on his terms, with his assortment of gadgets that have become rusted and stale. That is not how coaches win at the highest levels in the Southeastern Conference.

Fads are fleeting. Personnel changes. Philosophies evolve or are trampled.

Because Malzahn’s personnel has changed and he hasn’t, his philosophy is getting trampled. Meanwhile, others are evolving and using variations of Malzahn’s offense and running it more effectively than he is, occasionally beating him.

Malzahn is held to the same standard as the best college coaches in the country. He is paid top money and competes against the top teams, so the standard is justified.

The best college coaches in the country, the ones he’s expected to beat, do whatever’s needed to win. They don’t decide to do things on their terms. The only terms that are important to them are wins, and it doesn’t matter how they do it.

Earlier this week, Malzahn said there was “no doubt’’ that he would return as head coach in 2019. Then Auburn President Steven Leath said he supported his athletic director, Allen Greene, who said after the victory over Texas A&M that Malzahn would be Auburn’s coach next season.

Do Greene and Leath believe Malzahn is Auburn’s head coach beyond 2019? Do they actually have confidence Malzahn can galvanize Auburn supporters? I can’t imagine they do, considering how this season has unfolded and the reactions of Auburn’s most influential supporters. If Malzahn is unable to restore faith in his program, he’s certain to collect that buyout long before his contract expires.

All of this has become so predictable – the playcalling, the outcry from fans, the refusal by Malzahn to change, the university’s lack of leadership, and its decision to continue down a timid, uninspiring course. Does anyone believe the relationship between Malzahn and Auburn is going to work? It’s not, especially now that the program and its head coach have been so damaged. There appears to be no other outcome, at this point.

Someone with some leadership and vision needs to admit their mistakes and guide Auburn out of one of the biggest messes in its football history. Only Leath and Greene can do that, though, and they’ve already said Malzahn will return next season.

Leath might be the first to go if he’s trying to preserve his ego by refusing to admit he was wrong by giving Malzahn such a sizable contract. Either way, it’s obvious major changes are coming at Auburn because of what has happened this season. It’s only a matter of when and how much it will cost.

The damage is already incalculable.

By holding on to a fractured relationship, it’s likely to get even worse.

This post was edited on 11/15 at 7:48 am

free artiicle from another site. well i assume it is since an admin posted it and they do not allow premium posting from pay sites.......

To sum it up Gus thinks he is smarter,  far smarter than everyone.  :pcprobs:

The high coast of keeping Gus and his staff will again be when we bring in the 2019 signees and this staff won't know how to coach them up and get the best out of them during next season.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

You think in the second half of MSU the Auburn defense didn’t have a clue what they were gonna run 90 percent of the time in the inside zone read...  lol you’re joking right?  Or on 3rd and long UT wasn’t throwing the jump ball to the sideline 

My point is that I fully believe that in 2018 Auburn's players should have been superior, from top to bottom, to MSU & UT.  However, both those teams beat up Auburn and took their lunch money.  I don't believe a really good coaching staff lets that happen.  I believe a really good coaching staff takes Auburn's talent, makes sure it's prepared to execute better than either of those teams & does not allow MSU & UT to embarrass them.  Not talking about LSU or UGA or even next week.  But Auburn should not lose those two games.  Execution was poor but I expect that's because preparation was poor and in game adjustments were certainly poor.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My point is that I fully believe that in 2018 Auburn's players should have been superior, from top to bottom, to MSU & UT.  However, both those teams beat up Auburn and took their lunch money.  I don't believe a really good coaching staff lets that happen.  I believe a really good coaching staff takes Auburn's talent, makes sure it's prepared to execute better than either of those teams & does not allow MSU & UT to embarrass them.  Not talking about LSU or UGA or even next week.  But Auburn should not lose those two games.  Execution was poor but I expect that's because preparation was poor and in game adjustments were certainly poor.

Exactly.   Good post.  And I would add that it’s been my perception but I don’t see AU attacking a teams weaknesses.    Every team that plays AU knows that the DB’s don’t turn and play the ball so they continue to attack that weakness.   And if anyone has noticed, spread our defense out with 3 wide receiver sets and run outside perimeter runs.    

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'll give you one thing, at least you are consistent.

8 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

How about when all of the fans, some with no coaching backgrounds whatsoever, know what play the team is about to run?

Or... My 9 year old daughter... Who doesn't understand my "addiction" to Auburn football. 

Seriously, she has straight up called what was coming. Of course it's because I was yelling about the plays before hand. She saw them lined up the same and straight up called the play. MULTIPLE TIMES. 

I guess she is a good coach? Because you know, the good coaches and players can easily call out what play is coming.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

What excuse our offense has been s*** but no for lack of scheme.  Same scheme as last year except with more throwing.  It’s and execution issue not scheme.

I'm starting to think you are either Gus, Kristi, or someone close to them. You consistently defend the most atrocious things.

And why is the execution down? Because we have consistently underperformed in recruiting the OL and RB positions. Its amazing what having a NFL RB and NFL players on the OL can do for you.

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

Also, what happened in the TENN game multiple times doesn't happen every game to every team. Pruitt was jumping like Michael Jordan on the sidelines calling out EXACTLY where the ball was going before the ball was snapped. That ABSOLUTELY does NOT happen every game to everyone on offense. 

Funny if it happens every game, why is it we haven't seen our coaches do that? Even once? At least that I can remember. Much less multiple times in the same game

48 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Exactly.   Good post.  And I would add that it’s been my perception but I don’t see AU attacking a teams weaknesses.    Every team that plays AU knows that the DB’s don’t turn and play the ball so they continue to attack that weakness.   And if anyone has noticed, spread our defense out with 3 wide receiver sets and run outside perimeter runs.    

Excellent point.

That's my assessment of Auburn's Offense too.  Gus led teams (Offense) are going to do what THEY do most (almost all) games....regardless of the opposing defense's strength, weaknesses or tendencies.  Typically, there's the couple scripted series followed by bubble screens, slow developing handoffs between tackle and slow developing bombs.

Maybe the next OC will convince Gus that they should prepare a fresh game plan based on the each individual opponent....

Meanwhile, enjoy this meaningless gif.

TXQzb.gif

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

So who’s responsible for making sure they execute? I’m not trying to knock you I’m sure you are good at your job. But isn’t that what you get paid for is to teach these guys to execute. When I see players continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, then in my book it’s on the coach . I know as a coach you would rather deflect that but good coaches like Saben and Belichek , take action to cure the problem. Do you not think Saben has down years? Of course he does, like when he finishes second instead of first. Simply put “winners” find a way to win they don’t spend time making excuses. 

On 11/15/2018 at 12:51 PM, corchjay said:

You pretty much are able to sum things up. I like your posts and enjoy your insight on our football games.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:45 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So who’s responsible for making sure they execute? I’m not trying to knock you I’m sure you are good at your job. But isn’t that what you get paid for is to teach these guys to execute. When I see players continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, then in my book it’s on the coach . I know as a coach you would rather deflect that but good coaches like Saben and Belichek , take action to cure the problem. Do you not think Saben has down years? Of course he does, like when he finishes second instead of first. Simply put “winners” find a way to win they don’t spend time making excuses. 

Saban or satan! Just kidding lol!

Archived