Bowl Game Projections [updated]

AURealist

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Gotta say I hope Auburn pulls a very winnable match up - need a lift for the offseason. Last year losing to UCF was depressing and we had to live with the bad taste for 7 minths! Sadly I think both those teams would beat Auburn.

Gus is 1-4 in bowls. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a winnable bowl

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Purdue.  Tech would have over 400 yards passing against us at least.

Purdue could put up monster numbers in the passing game as well. They have the best freshman WR in football on their squad. Rondel Moore I may not have spelled it correctly, but that kid is a gamer. And has put up over 100 total yards in almost every game this season. 

I can see it now. That freshman WR would put up video game numbers against us most likely. 

They don't have a lot more in terms of elite talent in the skill positions, but Moore is a 5'9 MONSTER.

20 minutes ago, selias said:

Gus is 1-4 in bowls. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a winnable bowl

And 0-3 against Mississippi State, Tennessee and Ed Orgeron this season. 

"Winnable" is either a very high or a very low bar this season, depending on how you look at it. 

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well, we do know that Ole Miss’ defense never got any better so there’s that. 

And we’ve gotten significantly worse on both sides of the ball. Not good 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

And we’ve gotten significantly worse on both sides of the ball. Not good 

Man. How does an offense without a major injury not improve. In year 6. It just doesn't make any sense at all. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Man. How does an offense without a major injury not improve. In year 6. It just doesn't make any sense at all. 

That’s the 7 million dollar question but apparently, for some, it is absolutely wrong to be asked that of Gus...

I haven't really followed either this year. I would imagine from previous seasoms that TT does not play defense, so we could score on them, but they will also score on us. Purdue would probably be an easier win, because outside of OSU, Michigan, and PSU, the Big 10 is fairly slow. 

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's execution.  

I think we can all agree there haven't been enough of them.  >:D 

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, I even did a tongue in cheek thread in the Rivals section re: UW being "mad" at Auburn for screwing up their SOS.

Pardon the derail here as I'm no bball expert but aren't they playing a ranked opponent or 2 next week in Maui?

Yep, and Washington was ranked before we destroyed them. Derail complete.

It doesn't matter. If Malzahn can't have the team ready against the likes of Tennessee and State, how is he going to have them ready to play in a minor bowl. On the other hand, those two schools would love to spank some SEC a$$.

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

AU v Purdue in Gator Bowl because it's only 2 hours away and it's all about me.;D

Since the loss to UT I have been hoping we could play USF in a bowl because then (if we win) we would have a winning record against EVERY team in the state of Florida and this season would not be a total letdown. Grasping at straws, I know.

Made me smile! A nice unexpected surprise this season...no doubt about it. 

28 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

It doesn't matter. If Malzahn can't have the team ready against the likes of Tennessee and State, how is he going to have them ready to play in a minor bowl. On the other hand, those two schools would love to spank some SEC a$$.

You have nailed for me a missing ingredient...gumption-ganas-moxie-chutzpah-vim-vigor-scrappiness...DIEHARD MOTIVATION...from the top, IMHO. You see glimpses in some players every now and then. It just seems to me that for far too long, all of our opponents, no matter the division, skill, or personnel, have just WANTED IT MORE. 

5 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I haven't really followed either this year. I would imagine from previous seasoms that TT does not play defense, so we could score on them, but they will also score on us. Purdue would probably be an easier win, because outside of OSU, Michigan, and PSU, the Big 10 is fairly slow. 

Yeah, I thought that too until Wisconsin ran over, around, and through us in the Citrus Bowl a few years ago. It was evident from the opening series that year that we were overmatched.

I say...whoever we play....since we all know that JS is not coming back tell him thanks for his service but you're not going to play, we need to play Willis, Gatewood, and the other QB we picked up at the beginning of the season to see who can play...hate to start 2019 season with a QB that hasn't played in a college game...it won't cost a year with the new red-shirt rule...I'd say the same for the 2 freshmen offensive lineman we signed last year...get them in!!!! It wouldn't hurt....

is it better to not go to a bowl at all, or go to one and lose?

Don't pay any attention to the coaches BS about extra practices or getting the "young guys experience".

Basically a crappy bowl is for the coaches to try and salvage their poorly done job.

UAB would be a great match in any bowl except the bham bowl. How about the bowl game in Hawaii? that would be a fun trip.

2 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

is it better to not go to a bowl at all, or go to one and lose?

Bowl for sure. I remember 2012 too well. "Its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"- Alfred Lord Tennyson. 😁

11 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yeah, I thought that too until Wisconsin ran over, around, and through us in the Citrus Outback Bowl a few years ago. It was evident from the opening series that year that we were overmatched.

Yep, I sat there in Tampa that day and two years later in New Orleans wondering how in the world we could look so poorly prepared to play after a month of prep.  But sitting in Legion Field the year between those two was really inspiring....  Bowl season feels the way March madness used to feel, just no joy.  Maybe Bruce motivates Greene to do something about that.

23 hours ago, Zeek said:

I felt bad for Washington after our poop show started to spiral. Then they lost to Cal anyways and I realized they just weren't the team they were hyped up to be.

Our basketball team is wild this year. Wish we played a ranked opponent a little sooner than January but these guys could be a historic team for us.

Duke in second round of Maui Inv. high enough rank for you?

7 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Yep, I sat there in Tampa that day and two years later in New Orleans wondering how in the world we could look so poorly prepared to play after a month of prep.  But sitting in Legion Field the year between those two was really inspiring....  Bowl season feels the way March madness used to feel, just no joy.  Maybe Bruce motivates Greene to do something about that.

Yeah, that one too. Had forgot about the Outback Bowl. The one I was referring to was I think 05 at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando under tuberville when Wisconsin beat us up and took our lunch money

On 11/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Mike4AU said:

Don’t care.  After the first 2-3 scripted drives, the O will pull its usual Gus malaise.  Same ole crap. 

You must care. You posted 😉

Archived