Stidham: Stay or Go article

aucanucktiger

Just now, AURealist said:

I dunno.  Maybe the coaching JS received was in metric and doesn't mesh well with Gus' Imperial system.

He just needs to watch the movie "Happy Feet"

happyfeet.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as he keeps the new Mrs happy, his future is gold regardless.  He'll be VP of the Houston Rockets in no time.  You can tell by how he smiles and enjoys himself during losses to one of our most hated rivals.....he doesn't really need this pesky football...

I'm being facetious but.... 🤔

17 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I assume someone who spent his summer going to 3 summer QB camps is serious about going pro.  

I wonder if what he learned  supplemented or contradicted Gus' teaching.

Excellent question..I’d love to know that as well. Gus and or Chip have called some plays where he has flat out missed. He just has been off on throws he easily hit last season. A lot of overthrows and unforced turnovers. Things we did not see last season..imo if he came out now barring injury to a starter he would be a career back up. But if he can show more on the field next season I believe he could play his way into round 1 or 2.

It is definitely an interesting situation.  I really do not know what would be best for Stidham.  And there are so many factors to consider as well.  What is Freeze came to Auburn and Stidham had a year to learn from Hugh?  How well would Stidham do with all of these receivers back plus Stove and Hastings?  Not to mention a (hopefully) more mature experience-wise OL returning?  What if we had a new OL coach?

I really could see this going either way.  At the end of the day I want what is best for Stidham.  Aside from his facial expressions during the UGA game, I think he has been a good ambassador for Auburn and will be rooting for him no matter what happens.

Personally I would like to see him back for the simple fact that his overthrows or inaccuracies this year with no pressure in his face worry me.  I want to see him succeed in the NFL and another year could not hurt him, especially with Freeze.

25 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I assume someone who spent his summer going to 3 summer QB camps is serious about going pro.  

I wonder if what he learned  supplemented or contradicted Gus' teaching.

IMO Nothing that is done in any camp can prepare you for what you will face when you go up against elite defensive lines (like the SEC) in a live game. Add to that a poor OL blocking for you while trying to execute an RPO with no threat of a run. You have to be able to stand in the pocket with certainty that you are going to complete the required pass even though you know you are going to get creamed. You either have it or you don't. It was pretty obvious early in the Clemson 2017 game that JS is very good when he has time and a running game. Then again I imagine most QBs are good when they have time and a good running game. 

These camps are mostly 7v7 where they are asked to complete passes. That is easy. 

9 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Excellent question..I’d love to know that as well. Gus and or Chip have called some plays where he has flat out missed. He just has been off on throws he easily hit last season. A lot of overthrows and unforced turnovers. Things we did not see last season..imo if he came out now barring injury to a starter he would be a career back up. But if he can show more on the field next season I believe he could play his way into round 1 or 2.

I think we see this a lot with quarterbacks and Mahomes is a good example. When they just throw and play they're good to go. However, when someone gets in their head and starts tweaking their motion and thought process they struggle mightily. With Mahomes, when his college coaches were asked, they answered rather frankly; they said that they just let "Patrick be Patrick".

His deep ball has just been confounding this year.

Only two QBs have succeeded under Gus Malzahn and both did so largely with their feet. That's not Stidham. Throwing multitudes of bubble screens isn't going to improve his draft stock. We'll still be razor-thin at OL next year and likely not much better. I don't see a difference maker in our running game to date and Cox leaving takes away even more pocket protection. There may not be a strong argument to go, but can you really say there's a strong argument to stay? I don't see it. 

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I really could see this going either way.  At the end of the day I want what is best for Stidham.  Aside from his facial expressions during the UGA game, I think he has been a good ambassador for Auburn and will be rooting for him no matter what happens.

I agree and I think those "facial expressions" tell us that the decision to go or stay has already been made. He gave us a great year in 2017 until KJ got hurt and 2018 has been a dumpster fire.

I think most Auburn fans appreciate 2017 and wish him the best in the future.

Just now, CodeRocket said:

I agree and I think those "facial expressions" tell us that the decision to go or stay has already been made. He gave us a great year in 2017 until KJ got hurt and 2018 has been a dumpster fire.

Same here on thinking the decision has already been made.  The smiles are indicative of a short-timer's attitude.  You try your best and if it doesn't work, life is good, why worry?  Especially true if you're at odds with the system.  

He can blame the Gus offense with no offensive line, no running attack and poor passing route tree and every scout in the NFL would understand and agree.  His stock has definitely been damaged.  He did not show the ability to make decisions and step up in the pocket.  I think he could grad transfer to an air raid offense and everyone (NFL teams) would understand why.  How in the world would you trust Gus to develop a passing attack in the off season when he wouldn't or couldn't do it last year.  Even with Freeze, there is high risk that Gus would maintain control of yet another offensive disaster.  Why does anyone think the OL is going to be improved?  What history with Gus and JB would indicate this?  I bet he gets the hell out of Auburn the second the lower tier bowl game is over.  

5 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

I absolutely wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors. Also, I hope those future endeavors begin as soon as possible. I mean the guy no malice or ill will but I want our football team to start a new chapter ASAP. 

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

The only advice I would be comfortable giving Stidham is his standing on the sidelines smiling and laughing while his team is getting its butt beat is VERY bad optics.  If he pulls that stunt in the pros I suspect some teammates are going to give him a sobering education. 

Frankly, I lost a lot of respect for him when I saw that.  I question whether he is truly invested in our team.  

I won't go as far as to say "I lost respect" because I truly don't know his heart.

But when the cameras show Stids smiling and casually wandering around on the sidelines and go to GA's sidelines to show the "inferior" Fromm getting down on one knee with his O-Line and actively involved in the conversation with fire in his eyes...yeah, the optics suck bigly.

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Should he stay or should he go?  If he goes there will be trouble, if he stays it will be double.

+100 for the Clash reference.

Some of the issues you can blame on the system and the coaches and some are on Stidham. Panicking is on the QB when Stidham gets in trouble he panics and makes bad decisions, Multiple times he could have stepped up in the pocket instead of breaking out and trying to outrun people who are faster than him.  When a deep route has beaten their man badly you make sure you throw a catchable ball instead of trying to throw a perfect ball and overthrowing by 10 feet. The NFL scouts see this. Stidham can't throw when on the move. NFL scouts have seen this.

The route Trees or the lack of true Route trees are on the coaches. Apparently he has been taught to only throw to wide open receivers preventing him from properly utilizing some of our receivers. Lack of a TE in passing game, under utilization of quick slants and medium routes is all on the coaches.

I think his NFL stock is very low now with luck he would go forth round going to another team and sitting out a year would not help him and returning to Auburn with the same OC would hurt him. I believe his only chance to improve his NFL stock is to return to Auburn with a better OC and QB coach. I believe we should know shortly after the season ends if we will have the OC /QB coach that would help him.  He needs to wait that long to make a decision. Any decison he makes will not be a great decision as this year has hurt his NFL stock a lot.

I can already see it.  Gus brings in Freeze or Briles.  Stidham stays and the offense balls out next year.  Auburn beats Bama and Georgia again and makes the playoffs.  Briles/Freeze and Stidham leave and Auburn goes 6-6, 7-5 in 2020 and the fire Gus argument resumes.

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

The only advice I would be comfortable giving Stidham is his standing on the sidelines smiling and laughing while his team is getting its butt beat is VERY bad optics.  If he pulls that stunt in the pros I suspect some teammates are going to give him a sobering education. 

Frankly, I lost a lot of respect for him when I saw that.  I question whether he is truly invested in our team.  

My thoughts exactly,Mike. 

14 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I can already see it.  Gus brings in Freeze or Briles.  Stidham stays and the offense balls out next year.  Auburn beats Bama and Georgia again and makes the playoffs.  Briles/Freeze and Stidham leave and Auburn goes 6-6, 7-5 in 2020 and the fire Gus argument resumes.

*Sigh*

You ain't wrong.

15 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

You left out "a new 5-year extension and a sizable raise for The Genius™".  
They should be inserted just before "and makes the playoffs".

He is one of those QBs that would dominate in a 7 on 7 setting with no pass rush. He will be great at the combine, because he can make every throw and is fairly athletic. Obviously he would be a project QB, but really, who isn't if they aren't first rounders. 

I don’t know what’s better for him. But for Auburn he must have a strong running game and great protection to flourish. He is not a play maker. Not physically or competitively. The season should not be blamed on him at all. But with just better field awareness or vision he had chances to extend drives and build momentum and confidence for the offense and team as a whole. This could have been the difference in the first three losses easily. We were never gonna be a championship team this year like we hoped. But a scrappy 10-2 or even 11-1 showing would have been fun for everyone. I have no ill feelings towards JS but I think we’ll be fine either way. If I’m him I do like Russell Wilson and find a team that has a strong returning o line and no qb and transfer. 

If Stidham plays another season of college football, it likely wouldn't be at Auburn. He can and should grad transfer. 

If he wants to see his stock skyrocket, he should go play for the mad pirate in Pullman Washington. Leach would have Stidham looking like a all world QB. I mean Leach has a grad transfer from East Carolina that will pass for around 4000 yards this season. I would like NOTHING MORE than for him to go play for the mad pirate, and for him to become the #1 pick in the next years draft, just to make all of you who have complained and put this seasons struggles on Stidham shoulders eat massive crow. There have been SO many Auburn people calling Stidham out and complaining about every mistake he made... Nothing would please me more than for him to transfer and put up video game numbers... Just to shut all of you who endlessly complain about him up. 

Thats what he SHOULD do. That's what I would do if I were Stidham. 

Well I guess we will see Saturday (possibly) if he gets his name called out for Senior night or “Juniors” who will be declaring,  then we will know won’t we. Same with Brown, Davidson, Coe and Dean. Gus has already announced J. Johnson will be apart of Senior Night. That’s how we all found out about C. Lawson last year when he came out of the tunnel on Senior Night.

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

yeah i don't see Stidham as sticking around for long in the NFL unless he gets in a great situation. Dude just has zero pocket presence and panicks under pressure. Some QBs scramble you find yourself waiting for something exciting to happen. When Stidham scrambles you brace yourself for disaster. I don't think QBs that melt under pressure can be successful in the NFL. But maybe he gets on a team when a solid OL and he will flourish. Its a little odd but i don't really care whether he stays or go. I don't see the W/L split changing all that much with or with out him. So good luck which ever you choose Stid

Plus, he laughs and jokes with players from rival teams, just minutes after they kicked his (and Auburn's) ass.

Get him the hell out of here.

6 hours ago, Butthead said:

That article is just dumb.  JS is going to look very good at the combine.  And any team evaluating him is going to understand that his O-line was a dumpster fire.

Yep, Cam would have looked bad with the holes in that O-line.. totally not all his fault. he did not have someone to develop his potential. We tried forcing him to adapt a system he was not made for instead of utilizing his talents. I bet he is also kicking himself for ever coming. Bryant would do well here under Gus's system but why should he come either if we dont get our O-line fixed. Our O-line is the issue. We lost them all to the pros last year and didnt consider depth years ago. Something Elite coaches can seem to do. We just pay the Elite price for sub-par performance. 

Archived