Stidham: Stay or Go article

aucanucktiger

It's not all on the o-line. There have been times when the o-line has blocked well and JS left the pocket to quickly or to one side. There is room for opportunity, but I always cringe when people say this or that QB would have had trouble with this o-line. Sometimes your counterpart plays up to the potential and expectation of their teammates.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

It's not all on the o-line. There have been times when the o-line has blocked well and JS left the pocket to quickly or to one side. There is room for opportunity, but I always cringe when people say this or that QB would have had trouble with this o-line. Sometimes your counterpart plays up to the potential and expectation of their teammates.

If you don't trust something because they let you down 9 out of 10 times...you're probably not going to trust it that tenth time.  On those rare occasions he probably loses a whole second in the pocket thinking "WTF is going on, I have time?!"

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If you don't trust something because they let you down 9 out of 10 times...you're probably not going to trust it that tenth time.  On those rare occasions he probably loses a whole second in the pocket thinking "WTF is going on, I have time?!"

Well, this is how I feel and you guys can kill me for this. Do you contribute to the chaos or do you control the chaos? He has a young team. There is not much you can do about it, so what can you do to not add.to the chaos? You cannot trust and the whole thing can go to hell or you can rise to the occasion and try to contain it. IMO, I don't think JS did very much rising to the the occasion this year.  

You know if he is a high draft pick, he is probably not going to have the best personnel around him. Well, what is he going to do? Just not trust them and freelance? That is why I am very careful when people say this QB would struggle if he had this offensive line too. Maybe? Or maybe he would rise to the occasion and invite another level of accountability.

9 hours ago, keesler said:

I have a soft spot for our QBs, I can't help but think they could've performed really well in other programs.  And I wonder if a guy like Stid looks back a regrets his decision to play for this staff when he had other viable options at the time?  Then I wonder what kind of sales pitch our coaches use to hook these guys?  

Well, Art Briles basically hand delivered him to us here when Kevin Sumlin was higher on Mond. 

Damn, you think the Baylor boys are regretting coming here? 

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Stidham has only been sacked 19 times this season. Averaging less than 2 per game. The "this O line can't protect him" myth needs to die.

We are TERRIBLE at run blocking, but our pass blocking has been mediocre. Stidham has failed his line more than they've failed him.

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Well, this is how I feel and you guys can kill me for this. Do you contribute to the chaos or do you control the chaos? He has a young team. There is not much you can do about it, so what can you do to not add.to the chaos? You cannot trust and the whole thing can go to hell or you can rise to the occasion and try to contain it. IMO, I don't think JS did very much rising to the the occasion this year.  

You know if he is a high draft pick, he is probably not going to have the best personnel around him. Well, what is he going to do? Just not trust them and freelance? That is why I am very careful when people say this QB would struggle if he had this offensive line too. Maybe? Or maybe he would rise to the occasion and invite another level of accountability.

Like I said earlier this year and a day or so ago.  You put JS arm talent with LSU’s Burrow desire to win and lead and we are sitting at 11-1 or 10-2.  

JS will not stand in the pocket and deliver the football with a rush coming.  There are gonna 3-4 times a game when you are gonna need to do that to keep drives going and to lead your team to wins.  

He will never make it in the NFL until he learns to do that.  It’s the hardest thing to teach a QB but for winning QBs it’s their greatest asset.  

6 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

I've thought for years that we need a better QB coach and so far still haven't changed my mind. Watching Memphis Qb complete passes and I'm like why can't we go hire their coach?

When Stidham had a leader on the offense in KJ to carry the team he completed almost 70% of his passes.  When KJ couldn’t carry the team last year vs LSU.  Stidham tanked and was like 3 for 15 or something like that.  UGA in the SEC championship game KJ injured Stidham couldn’t deliver.  Bowl game KJ still not 100 percent Stidham still couldn’t carry the team.   And the beat goes on this year. 

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

When Stidham had a leader on the offense in KJ to carry the team he completed almost 70% of his passes.  When KJ couldn’t carry the team last year vs LSU.  Stidham tanked and was like 3 for 15 or something like that.  UGA in the SEC championship game KJ injured Stidham couldn’t deliver.  Bowl game KJ still not 100 percent Stidham still couldn’t carry the team.   And the beat goes on this year. 

We really needed another rb last year to help KJ. Pettway couldn’t for injuries and troubles. We yelled out loud for KMart. I think we now see why we didn’t get more KMart. 

But you are correct. Stidham is not going to be a leader. 

21 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I can already see it.  Gus brings in Freeze or Briles.  Stidham stays and the offense balls out next year.  Auburn beats Bama and Georgia again and makes the playoffs.  Briles/Freeze and Stidham leave and Auburn goes 6-6, 7-5 in 2020 and the fire Gus argument resumes.

Ain't nobody balling out with this O-line next year.

Stidham is actually in a great position for the draft.  He won't go early so shouldn't be on a bad team.  He'll have time to sit and learn how to be a QB similar to the way Aaron Rogers did behind Favre.  This season may actually turn out to be a blessing for him.  That is assuming he actually wants to play QB in the NFL.  Not sure if he has that fire deep down considering how well set up he is in life in general.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Ain't nobody balling out with this O-line next year.

Stidham is actually in a great position for the draft.  He won't go early so shouldn't be on a bad team.  He'll have time to sit and learn how to be a QB similar to the way Aaron Rogers did behind Favre.  This season may actually turn out to be a blessing for him.  That is assuming he actually wants to play QB in the NFL.  Not sure if he has that fire deep down considering how well set up he is in life in general.

I would tend to agree with you.

For some people, being a career back up or journeyman is the perfect set up.  I don't see the fire in him to be the best so he MAY very well be one of those types.  An NFL backup makes more money than I'll ever see, doesn't have the pressure to be the best, can always brag that they're in the League with the prestige to go with it and can also still lead a somewhat normal life as they remain relatively unknown to the masses, etc.

Based on my observations of him this season (and I don't claim to know his "heart", so I certainly could be wrong) this would appear to suit him to a T.

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

Interesting observation, coach.  A question; if execution is what a coach is looking for in their players and a particular player is having a difficult time, when would a coach start looking for another player to come in to see if that player could execute better?

12 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interesting observation, coach.  A question; if execution is what a coach is looking for in their players and a particular player is having a difficult time, when would a coach start looking for another player to come in to see if that player could execute better?

Interesting question...

Nick Saban (*blech*) did it in the middle of a championship game.  They won it.  Probably winning again this year to go with his 107 other titles.  Seems to have worked out well for him....

Dabo Swinney did it early this season when the identification was made.  They've been in the playoffs, even winning one, multiple times.  Looking like they'll be there again this year too.  Seems to have worked out well for him....

Gus still hasn't done it.  Plus, he's considering Dabo's cast-off.  Seems to...uh...

23 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would think they would be looking daily in practice 

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I would think they would be looking daily in practice 

I would think so too, but when would you make a move if that player was not executing to a standard you have set for your team?

22 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If the coach has a situation where he knows his number two is comparable to his number one ( like JJ/SW) he can make a change. When he knows because of practice the difference between 1and 2 is enormous he stays with #1. He doesn’t have a Tua or Trevor Lawrence. If he did you would see him. 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would think so too, but when would you make a move if that player was not executing to a standard you have set for your team?

It depends.  If the hand you’re dealt that you think is better than the hand you can replace it with.  

I think one of the more puzzling criticisms of malzahn I see is fans seem convinced we have better players on the sidelines than the ones playing. Never seen it more than with Asa Martin. Kam Martin last year is a close second. 

I think the coaches want to win as much as we do. I see no logical reason for them to sabotage those chances by spitefully playing the wrong guys. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

If the coach has a situation where he knows his number two is comparable to his number one ( like JJ/SW) he can make a change. When he knows because of practice the difference between 1and 2 is enormous he stays with #1. He doesn’t have a Tua or Trevor Lawrence. If he did you would see him. 

Interesting you mention JJ/SW. I’ve often wondered why SW was not replaced by JJ in the 2016 UGA game if JJ and SW were comparable.  SW was not executing at a high level during the 2nd half, yet he was not replaced.  One wonders if the coaches even look at how a player is performing in the game.

If the #1 is struggling and the reason the team isn’t moving the ball or turning the ball over (MSU and UT), how bad is the #2 to not get a chance?  Wouldn’t the coach want to know how a backup would do in a game situation, could it be any worse?  I know it’s an individual coach thing, but is seems like a coach would do something if it happens week after week.

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

It depends.  If the hand you’re dealt that you think is better than the hand you can replace it with.  

Yes, it is a gamble.  If you had a hand that was a Jack high and you know that won’t win, do you stay pat or take a few cards?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interesting you mention JJ/SW. I’ve often wondered why SW was not replaced by JJ in the 2016 UGA game if JJ and SW were comparable.  SW was not executing at a high level during the 2nd half, yet he was not replaced.  One wonders if the coaches even look at how a player is performing in the game.

If the #1 is struggling and the reason the team isn’t moving the ball or turning the ball over (MSU and UT), how bad is the #2 to not get a chance?  Wouldn’t the coach want to know how a backup would do in a game situation, could it be any worse?  I know it’s an individual coach thing, but is seems like a coach would do something if it happens week after week.

The coaches see practice. We don’t. As much as Jarrett has underperformed, he hasn’t been just horrible. It’s more of what he doesn’t see or do than turnovers or missed throws. I would have loved to have seen a different qb come out during miss st or Tennessee. That would have indicated he was showing promise in practice. I think we can assume since we don’t see a backup the backups are not the answer currently. Also why we are hearing about Kelly Bryant. 

31 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think one of the more puzzling criticisms of malzahn I see is fans seem convinced we have better players on the sidelines than the ones playing. Never seen it more than with Asa Martin. Kam Martin last year is a close second. 

I think the coaches want to win as much as we do. I see no logical reason for them to sabotage those chances by spitefully playing the wrong guys. 

I think the criticism is for three particular reasons.

#1, he doesn't give meaningful snaps to backups utilizing the full playbook even in blowouts or against far inferior opponents.  So backups never get prepared if truly needed.  Thus he plays one-armed KJ instead of having KM ready to produce (even though he DID produce in the few opportunities he WAS given.)  Note: This year's KM is NOT the same back as last year.  Heavier, slower and no burst to the hole.

#2, the ol' trusty, if there are seriously no talented or capable backups, who's fault is that?  If the QB in the TN game who throws two dumb picks, a careless fumble and overthrows wide open receivers can't see some bench for a few series at least, then Auburn is truly in big trouble next year.  If a backup can't play under those circumstances then he won't be ready to be QB1 in one off-season.

#3, regarding sabotaging his own chances and the logic in that.  I would normally agree.  However, Gus has made so many illogical, head-scratching decisions and seems stubborn to a fault.  He may not be deliberately sabotaging himself but I do believe he is perfectly capable of being stubborn to the point of self-destruction.  Spock, he ain't.

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

I've decided Gus goes with the guys who best learn his choreography.  Doesn't matter if the plays or the players are real-world effective.  (Only honest way to explain JJ, really...)

Archived