Chip Lindsey

auburn4ever

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's being whispered around...

Well, they need to start shouting it around!!!

😉

11 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Unless some miracle win happens be assured there will be quite a few done Saturday.  For those that think Gus is safe you might be in for a surprise.

I love GOOD surprises...

On 11/20/2018 at 10:37 AM, AURealist said:

Freeze is a (possible) band-aid at best.  He'll be here no longer than is needed to rehab his rep or until he's caught in another unseemly circumstance.  Not sure how that's gonna help recruiting.  

By that analysis, Freeze is the offensive equivalent of Muschamp—a big name, short-term, scheme changer. Somebody with such a big name and ego it makes it dangerous to micromanage them.

The key would be to get a successor to freeze who would run a very similar system.

I would not other schools have been successful with constant change on the coaching staff. Tubberville went through DCs constantly. Saban has gone through a lot of changes on his offensive staff.

Alternatively, if Freeze is hired, does right the ship, and stays a few years, he is more Lane Kiffin than Will Muschamp.

Honestly, I will take either.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It's being whispered around...

I mean it’s kind of a screwed up situation. The guy is not going to lead Auburn to a win over Bama. If they knew they were going to get rid of him they shouldn’t have given any quotes tbh.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, AURealist said:

Chip should be working out a way to hop a train to Louisville or a climb aboard a conestoga wagon to Lawrence.  

I think Lawrence would be interesting. Low expectations. Big name head coach. Big 12. Could be good for both Chip and The Hat.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I mean it’s kind of a screwed up situation. The guy is not going to lead Auburn to a win over Bama. If they knew they were going to get rid of him they shouldn’t have given any quotes tbh.

When you are asked the question and recruiting is in full swing, what are you going to say? 

Just now, 80Tiger said:

When you are asked the question and recruiting is in full swing, what are you going to say? 

Recruiting doesn’t mean crap once he gets fired, you know that right ? But since you asked I would say something to the tune of getting prepared for this weeks game and that’s all the focus is on right now. Stop giving contracts and saying quotes, jumping the gun. Many of  GMs , ADs , Owners never have to give in to the media and a lot of times refer to the end of the season for evaluation.

10 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I think Lawrence would be interesting. Low expectations. Big name head coach. Big 12. Could be good for both Chip and The Hat.

Love Les but he probably "meddles" more than Gus.

Curious to see what the KU Offense will look like.  Probably huddle and break into the I with 2 TE's....ahh the good ol days.

10 minutes ago, CR said:

Do you buy the whispers?

Someone on this board slammed me for posting what people on other boards were saying i.e. 'Gus is gone by Tuesday after the I.B." well how are these posts about 'whispers' any different?

15 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Someone on this board slammed me for posting what people on other boards were saying i.e. 'Gus is gone by Tuesday after the I.B." well how are these posts about 'whispers' any different?

I can assure you I didn't slam you for posting that. Seems a legitimate question when there is still talk going around? And there's a segment here that will blast anyone who questions Dear Leader Gus on any issue. Sorry you got caught up in it.

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Recruiting doesn’t mean crap once he gets fired, you know that right ? But since you asked I would say something to the tune of getting prepared for this weeks game and that’s all the focus is on right now. Stop giving contracts and saying quotes, jumping the gun. Many of  GMs , ADs , Owners never have to give in to the media and a lot of times refer to the end of the season for evaluation.

Right. Media ask you a question and you do not answer it one way or another and media goes crazy giving your competitors additional weeks to negative recruit against you. You know that right?

If the AD or administration does anything other than support the coach until the moment a decision has been reached, the program is being harmed more than it has to.

As a side note this board is turning into a few smart asses that think that they know everything when in reality they know very little.  Resulting in posters that actually do bring something to the table, posting less and less. 

38 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Because you were too loud.  Had you whispered you might have been treated differently.  :tease:

55 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Right. Media ask you a question and you do not answer it one way or another and media goes crazy giving your competitors additional weeks to negative recruit against you. You know that right?

If the AD or administration does anything other than support the coach until the moment a decision has been reached, the program is being harmed more than it has to.

As a side note this board is turning into a few smart asses that think that they know everything when in reality they know very little.  Resulting in posters that actually do bring something to the table, posting less and less. 

Just wish we could keep things in house and not just jump the gun so much. If he got fired, it would be justifiable for sure. But for me, recruiting will be negative based on our play more than anything. I don’t think a sound bite from the AD or Leath would swing the pendulum more than results from the games. I mean he didn’t give his statement long ago. The season ends this week essentially. Two more weeks of no quote would do more harm to Auburn than what already has been done on the field? Lol.

For instance, both have supported the coach, has recruiting gotten that much better? If we lose pappoe, would it be because of the uncertainty of the coaches job or the fact that our team has played way below their expectations?  I do think how you carry yourself in the media does affect your business more so than the players. Too many instant gratification stuff going on. You win you get recruits . Look at Bruce Pearl? I am sure he is getting negative recruited like crazy due to his past. He keeps winning and that will go out the freaking door. Guess what?

He also doesn’t need the AD or President to give the media sound bite. But to the bigger point, if you fire him, I think you lose more recruits anyhow , so what does it matter at that point if negative recruiting (which is already happening due to field results) is occurring or not? What harms or progresses the program is winning games. If you are doing that, you will be fine. Cam Newton Saga should’ve taught us that. That’s just my opinion. 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, triangletiger said:

I'm still skeptical on Freeze.  Can it be confirmed that the success his teams had on offense are the result of his coaching prowess?  Who was his OC at Ole Miss?

Im skeptical on Freeze as well. His offenses were not THAT impressive at OM.  To me it looks like he had one excellent year, one bad year and three average years. Nothing special in my opinion, but then again I'm just some dude.

9 minutes ago, AUwarrior said:

Im skeptical on Freeze as well. His offenses were not THAT impressive at OM.  To me it looks like he had one excellent year, one bad year and three average years. Nothing special in my opinion, but then again I'm just some dude.

Agree. OCs in general tend to have their best years in CFB when they have a QB that ends up in the NFL. Freezes O was Good with Bo Wallace, great with Chad Kelly. I do think Freeze would provide a much needed identity and stability to our situation. 

A lot of folks don’t understand AU doesn’t pay Gus 49 million it only agrees to a few hundred thousand each year. The rest of Gus’s contract comes from the boosters group. The president can’t stop them from dropping their contract. It actually against the rules for any public universities to pay that type money to a coach.

10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

A lot of folks don’t understand AU doesn’t pay Gus 49 million it only agrees to a few hundred thousand each year. The rest of Gus’s contract comes from the boosters group. The president can’t stop them from dropping their contract. It actually against the rules for any public universities to pay that type money to a coach.

Here is a link to Gus’s contract.  If you read it you will note that the contract is between Auburn and Gus.  There are no other parties to the contract.  Auburn is on the hook for the entire contract, not just a few hundred thousand as you mentioned. 

With that said, it is common practice that some of the funds, often very substantial funds, do come from third parties, but that doesn’t relieve the institution from the entire amount of the contract.  I suspect that Auburn has memorandum agreements with third parties that spell out how much those third parties are going to pay Auburn re: the contract.  If those third parties fail to provide specific performance then that is between Auburn and the third parties.  As stated that does not relieve Auburn of its liability to Gus.  

It is a big convoluted mess!

https://www.scribd.com/document/370894790/Gus-Malzahn-Contract-Revision-2018

56 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Here is a link to Gus’s contract.  If you read it you will note that the contract is between Auburn and Gus.  There are no other parties to the contract.  Auburn is on the hook for the entire contract, not just a few hundred thousand as you mentioned. 

With that said, it is common practice that some of the funds, often very substantial funds, do come from third parties, but that doesn’t relieve the institution from the entire amount of the contract.  I suspect that Auburn has memorandum agreements with third parties that spell out how much those third parties are going to pay Auburn re: the contract.  If those third parties fail to provide specific performance then that is between Auburn and the third parties.  As stated that does not relieve Auburn of its liability to Gus.  

It is a big convoluted mess!

https://www.scribd.com/document/370894790/Gus-Malzahn-Contract-Revision-2018

Pretty much how all coaching contracts are structured I expect.  Check Jimbo's with TexAM...twice Gus's.

I work with a guy who is an old college friend of Chip’s and talks to him probably once a week.  He told a group of us back during the off-season after the disappointing end to last season that Chip said he would never take another job under a coach who is offensive minded because he could not stand the constant meddling and not being allowed to fully implement his system.  So... I think there is definitely some fire under all the smoke.

On 11/20/2018 at 8:06 AM, bigbird said:

Zero accountability and no fear of repercussions will lead to sloppy execution and bad mental break downs.

Off the top of my head...

Much better passing concepts

Much better QB coaching

Much better scheming

Much better flexibility

Much better player utilization

Much better adjustments

Much better play calling.

Of course there is one big factor that tends to ruin everything, the $49 million factor. 

On 11/20/2018 at 11:56 AM, AUsince72 said:

Guessing we'll find this out within the next week or two.

Gotta feeling Sat is Chip's last game.  Hopefully Freeze is in for the bowl and then we'll start hearing rumblings about his coaching staff.  As long as Grimes is replaced I'll be happy but not sure Horton will be around either.  Curious to see if he (can) replace Kodi or maybe if he can mentor Kodi.  Not sure why but I think with a good mentor Kodi might be a diamond in the rough.

Kodi needs to travel and learn under different coaches how they teach the WR position and pick up as many tips as he can to become more rounded.  The best coaches strive to constantly get better at their craft any way they can.  He has learned a good bit already, some of it the hard way.

Archived