Iron Bowl-what's your best memory?

Tigerpro2a

I thought this would be a fun topic. What is your absolute favorite memory of an iron bowl, could be a play , could be a certain game as a whole, but one rule, you can't use anything from 2013. Tell your story! Mine would be a tie. The first being the Camback. I was living in Vegas and had been to the LA-Monroe game and Arky but was back in Vegas for iron bowl. I'll never forget being on the phone as we trailed 21-0 to my brother and asking him " do you think Auburn will ever win a Natty in our lifetime" as it seemed our hopes and dreams were dwindled......you all know the rest. He brought that conversation up again on jan 10, 2011 after Wes byrum knocked in the game winner!!!!! What a season to remember.

My other favorite iron bowl was my first iron bowl. It was at Bryant Denny in 2002 when we were down to a lil 3rd string true frosh RB ....yep.... And The Tre Smith... Went off for over 125 yds. .17-7 Auburn!!!WDE.. My brother in law who is a major bammer head a long ride home with me hehe.

Share your favorite iron bowl moments

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also really enjoyed watching Muschamp chew out the referees for what everyone in the stadium could see were crap calls that were meant to ensure Alabama won the game in 2015. Although we didn’t win, that was one of the times where I could say “that coach knows how to fight for his players.” 

Being on the sideline for the 2003 IB. Cadillac took the opening snap 80 yds. Tubs thought he had been fired. Went over next to  turd WR Tyrone Prothro (sp), during warmups and thought man this dude is small and probably won’t play. Bad judgement on my part as he took the second half KO for a TD. Later injured badly and almost lost his leg I believe. 

Just a great trip. Being on the sideline and in the locker room is something I’ll never forget. WDE. 

1) Bo Over the Top 1982. Broke the Bama streak and signaled a sea change in the rivalry.
2) First Bama game in AU 1989. AU knocked off undefeated Bama team and established that AU would have to be treated as an equal partner in the series.

Besides the obvious games of 1982, 1989, 2010, or 2013, mine would be standing on the ramp in 1993 when James Bostic broke his long run. He was coming right at us. The place went crazy. 

16 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

If I’m not using 2017, 2013, or 2010, the 2005 Iron Bowl was so much fun sacking Croyle 12 times. Stadium was hype that day 

Was it Quentin Groves that year that was just killing him? Or Stanley Mclover? I remember that game well. Nasty!!!

1968 Iron bowl. No. 87 Connie Fredrick in punt position, takes a perfect spiral, tucks it in and scampers for 6! The Tigers had the game won, it was late in the 4th. I loved the piling of the 49th point on the bammers. He caught the ire of Shug, but I believe the fans loved every yard of it all the way to the goal line! I think i'm right on it being the 68 iron bowl. He ran right up the side I was sitting on. It was my first Iron Bowl,I will never forget that moment!

1969 game. With 40+ seconds left in the game and AU well in control, Connie Frederick ran a fake punt for an 84 yard TD.  Happened right in front of me, and I kept looking for the ball in the air.   The crowd noise got very loud and I finally realized something was up. 

https://auburntigers.com/news/2013/11/22/Iron_Bowl_plays_to_remember_No_9_Frederick_s_fake_punt.aspx

Of course the "Kick 6".

My first Iron Bowl as a student, the "Reverse to Tillman". We were trying to call a timeout because Lawyer wasn't supposed to be in to run it and the ball was snapped anyway.

I was also at the "Ed Scissom fumble" and the "Go Crazy Cadillac". All great memories. 

17 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Was it Quentin Groves that year that was just killing him? Or Stanley Mclover? I remember that game well. Nasty!!!

McLover I believe. Think he left early and went undrafted. Sounds like a story that was repeated last year. 

29 minutes ago, WVR said:

Besides the obvious games of 1982, 1989, 2010, or 2013, mine would be standing on the ramp in 1993 when James Bostic broke his long run. He was coming right at us. The place went crazy. 

The Bostic run was great. I lived in NE Ga and had to drive around in an old Ford Tempo to pick up radio coverage. Watching the replay, Tony Richardson knocked the crap out of Bostic in the end zone. 

2010 sitting in that freezing end zone section in looser town. the second half started and the sun poked its head out for the first time all day and lit up our section. the rest was history unfolding in front of my eyes and I didn't even know it until it was over.

1 minute ago, Hay Field 101 said:

2010 sitting in that freezing end zone section in looser town. the second half started and the sun poked its head out for the first time all day and lit up our section. the rest was history unfolding in front of my eyes and I didn't even know it until it was over.

I would've killed to be at that game. 

20 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Of course the "Kick 6".

My first Iron Bowl as a student, the "Reverse to Tillman". We were trying to call a timeout because Lawyer wasn't supposed to be in to run it and the ball was snapped anyway.

I was also at the "Ed Scissom fumble" and the "Go Crazy Cadillac". All great memories. 

86 Iron Bowl was win for me..........my girlfriend at the time told me she was going to college in Lakeland, FL.........I lived in Mobile.......dropped her at home in Semmes...........got drunk at a bar called Thirsty's.........to the music of Will and The Bushmen👍

I hate to admit, the only IB I've actually attended was '99....the first time bammer won in JHS.  Heath Evans ended up the tailback in that game and there wasn't much hope for AU going in but they actually fought hard and made it a game.  My brother and I went and tailgated with some buddies of his.  Great experience though AU lost!  

Funny memory, we tailgated out beyond right field of the baseball stadium IIRC and there was a large drainage tunnel with a creek out there that was a favorite "outhouse" for us and my little brother decided to slip and fall into the creek, butt first.  Luckily nobody was upstream at the time......he hoped.  HA!  Leave it to little brothers right...

As for my favorite IB, I agree the '86 game was my favorite.  We had a full house for Thanksgiving with Granny, Aunt's, Uncle & cousins...  Lawyer's Reverse!  The best ever!! 

2nd would be '89, simply for what it meant to the Auburn family.

I have many but this one is my favorite. 1986 and Lawyer Tillman took in on the end around. I said to myself, now kick a f...... 52 yard field goal and the Tigers broke a 2 game losing streak with a 21-17 win. WDE.

2007 Iron Bowl. Nothing spectacular about the game itself, however it being my first Iron Bowl and learning Reverse Rammer Jammer, it'll always be an awesome memory. 

1993 was the only IB I saw in person, and it had the big time come back and drama too.  The 4th and forever Pat Nix to Frank Saunders TD. Perhaps the original Prayer in Jordan-Hare. 

Archived