Iron Bowl-what's your best memory?

Tigerpro2a

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

1968 Iron bowl. No. 87 Connie Fredrick in punt position, takes a perfect spiral, tucks it in and scampers for 6! The Tigers had the game won, it was late in the 4th. I loved the piling of the 49th point on the bammers. He caught the ire of Shug, but I believe the fans loved every yard of it all the way to the goal line! I think i'm right on it being the 68 iron bowl. He ran right up the side I was sitting on. It was my first Iron Bowl,I will never forget that moment!

I  think it was actually 69

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to 12 Iron Bowls and the best was the Kick 6! Worse one  was the Van Tiffen FG loss in 1985.

28 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I have been to 12 Iron Bowls and the best was the Kick 6! Worse one  was the Van Tiffen FG loss in 1985.

Ugggg 85........great year only flaw was the IB.........I sometimes wish I had Mr. Peabody on speed dial.

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I'll never forget being on the phone as we trailed 21-0 to my brother and asking him " do you think Auburn will ever win a Natty in our lifetime" as it seemed our hopes and dreams were dwindled......you all know the rest.

I was sitting in the house my ex and I were renting with her sister's family, and something inside of me knew things were going to change. I didn't know that we'd come back to win, but I knew we weren't going to get skunked like that, not with the offense we had that year.

My favorite Iron Bowl memories are mainly split between two games: 03 and last year. In 03, I was sitting in the Bama section (my father was friends with one of the UAT lobbyists, who got me tickets to the game when it was in Auburn for a few years), and right about the point where Carnell was turning upfield and leaving all the white and red jerseys behind him, it got REALLY QUIET in the area immediately around me while the rest of the stadium was going berserk along with me. That left an indelible impression on me.

However, my absolute favorite has to be from last year. One of my best friends, who had never been to an Iron Bowl, went with me even though he had procured a case of gout in his foot. He wasn't about to let that stop him from going, but he knew he'd want to drink a little at the tailgate of a high school friend of ours, so he didn't want to take any pain meds. Instead, he decided to get absolutely hammered to numb the pain. Walking from the tailgate to the stadium, I had to put my arm around his shoulders to keep him from falling over, but he was definitely feeling no pain. And at one point, while he was still slightly sober, he'd gotten the notion of Jarrett Stidham throwing a stiff arm in his head, so the whole way to the stadium he kept screaming "Stiff Arm Stidham!!!" at random people. I'll never let him live that one down, either.

But the best part of it was how thoroughly we dominated that game. The final score doesn't show exactly how inept we made the eventual national champions look on that day, and I got to take my buddy to see it. Was truly a War Eagle Moment for both of us, and I'll never forget it as long as I live.

My favorite Iron Bowl I have attended was without a doubt the 2010 Camback. 2017 is close because I got to take my 8 year old son to his first Iron Bowl and what a great one to go to!  I also hold 1993 up there because I still vividly remember where I was huddled in the corner next to a radio hearing Jim paint that beautiful picture of a fine day on the plains!

2 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

My favorite Iron Bowl I have attended was without a doubt the 2010 Camback. 2017 is close because I got to take my 8 year old son to his first Iron Bowl and what a great one to go to!  I also hold 1993 up there because I still vividly remember where I was huddled in the corner next to a radio hearing Jim paint that beautiful picture of a fine day on the plains!

Nix gonna float one for Sanders, Sanders...OH HE CAUGHT IT AT THE 2, AND HE DIVED IN!!! TOUCHDOWN AUBURN! TOUCHDOWN AUBURN! Oh my goodness! Frank Sanders leaped up over Tommy Johnson or Antonio Langham, he caught the ball at the 2, how he held it I don't know, but he dived into the end zone, and Auburn's right back at the stick of it with a backup quarterback, trailing 14-11!

Never attended a IB game. Other than the kick 6 and Camback as my favorite games to watch,  my favorite 3 plays are 1) Cadillac's crazy run to open the game, 2) Fairley's sack and fumble recovery in 2010, 3) and most importantly the punch out by Hot Carter to knock ball out of Ingram hand and into the endzone for touchback in 2010.  Without the fumbles Auburn does not win 2010.

My first IB "experience" occurred in 1982. I was still in the womb but when Bo went over the top, my dad got so excited that my Mom (with me) flew out of his lap and into the floor.  Probably why Auburn has been engrained in my mind since birth. Lol. 

My favorite would have to be 1982- Bo over the top. Everyone in the stadium knew what the play would be but they couldn’t stop him. Absolute pandemonium in the Auburn section after the play. My first time going on to the field after a victory. I still get chills of the replay of Coach Dye telling the players to “ Go out there and thank our people” So not only were we celebrating with our fans the players were out there also. After the goal posts came down we signed them. Not sure what happened to them. It was a great day- always is when you beat bama!

I’m sorry but the Camback is just too perfect. We embarrassed them with a huge comeback, recovered from them stealing signals, the preacher man bull****, Lutz immortalizing himself, worst Heisman winner in the history of the award fumbling like a chump, and my only trip I’ve ever taken to the BD-trailer park.

After all the BSPN crap and everything that circled around that season I’ve never felt better about beating the Turds.

Unpopular opinion: the kick-6 doesn’t rate so high in my book. The score was close, yes, but I really felt like we were in control of that game and Bama should have felt lucky that it was even close. Felt like we were whooping them and I truly believed we’d own them in overtime before the kick. Exciting finish but I never felt stressed in that game.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’m sorry but the Camback is just too perfect. We embarrassed them with a huge comeback, recovered from them stealing signals, the preacher man bull****, Lutz immortalizing himself, worst Heisman winner in the history of the award fumbling like a chump, and my only trip I’ve ever taken to the BD-trailer park.

After all the BSPN crap and everything that circled around that season I’ve never felt better about beating the Turds.

Unpopular opinion: the kick-6 doesn’t rate so high in my book. The score was close, yes, but I really felt like we were in control of that game and Bama should have felt lucky that it was even close. Felt like we were whooping them and I truly believed we’d own them in overtime before the kick. Exciting finish but I never felt stressed in that game.

Man if I knew they were going to just give a Heisman to bammer, they could have give it to DUI David Palmer😂

40 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Man if I knew they were going to just give a Heisman to bammer, they could have give it to DUI David Palmer😂

Don’t know about David Palmer and DUI’s. I clearly remember him, but pray tell concerning the DUI’s....

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Twice a white Stanford running back has been jipped by overrated Bama running backs

First Time Ever, I was there (stayed at AU after graduating to pursue a masters).

Honk if you sacked Brody. I had purchased and HDTV and watched Brody sacked repeatedly in glorious HD via an OTA antenna and WAKA CBS 8.

The CamBack. The only 2010 game I watched from beginning to end (except the BCS which I saw in person). I screamed like a little girl when Cam hit Lutz.

My first Iron Bowl is still my favorite.

1972. Sullivan, and Beasley were gone. Big bad Alabama had rolled through the SEC like a juggernaut with their wishbone. All that was standing in their way was a determined bunch of overachievers in white,  Orange, and blue, who had managed to win games they were not supposed to with gritty defense, and a sound kicking game. We weren't supposed to have a chance, and for 3 1/2 quarters we didn't. We finally managed to put together a decent drive, and came away with a 42 yard field goal. Alabama still had a insurmountable 16-3 lead with about 5 minutes to play when Alabama lined up to punt. Bill Newton blocked it, and David Langner picked it up on the bounce from the Legion field turf, and suddenly it was 16-10. On the next series it happened all over again. Newton blocked another punt,  the ball bounced into Langners hands again, and the Amazins led 17-16. It was like the slaying of Goliath, and in my humble opinion still the greatest upset in Auburn football history. 

Just a side note about that 72 Tiger team. Coach Jordan took those little boys to the Gator Bowl that year to play Cullen Bryant, and Colorado. The Colorado players didn't seem to take Auburn, and their smallish players too seriously in the days leading up to the game. It proved to be a bad mistake as Auburn went on to whip them 24-3, and the tough little guys on defense completely dominated Bryant, and the Buffalos. I will never forget the words of coach Jordan who said of the team after the game " I will take these boys, and go anywhere, and play anybody!" I still get goosebumps just recalling it.        War Eagle.

Mine, excluded the others, were go crazy caddy, that was my first IB to attend. Still a call that gives me chills. 2nd was the sack Brodie game, the woman telling her son in the second quarter “son this is what you call home cookin” has stuck with me forever 

25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Twice a white Stanford running back has been jipped by overrated Bama running backs

Ingram barely edged Toby Gerhart in a somewhat unexciting field of nominees. The close win was all due to the Bama hype machine because Ingram wasn't even the best running back on his team, much less the best Bama RB of the last few decades. 

And Derrick Henry's Heisman over Christian McCaffrey, a man who broke the legendary Barry Sanders' records was an outrage. Henry was a big, strong guy who merely took advantage of his entire team's overwhelming talent edge over their opponents, hitting gaping holes and piling up yardage in the late going when opponents were exhausted. McCaffrey was everything to his team, contributing in every way possible. 

My best one is my first one.....and the reason I fell in love with AU. 1989

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

1972 punt bama punt 17-6 game w/o a doubt and I've attended a lot of Iron Bowl games. We had no business winning that game which made it the more better

But what about your first one in 1893?

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

1972 punt bama punt 17-6 game w/o a doubt and I've attended a lot of Iron Bowl games. We had no business winning that game which made it the more better

On a lighter note, coach Dye has said bear is to blame for that second block, he told the punter the move up about 2 ft.

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

On a lighter note, coach Dye has said bear is to blame for that second block, he told the punter the move up about 2 ft.

The punter Greg Gantt did move up not sure if bear told him to but I would not doubt it

Archived