Iron Bowl-what's your best memory?

Tigerpro2a

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

The punter Greg Gantt did move up not sure if bear told him to but I would not doubt it

That’s what dye has said to people I know FWIW. Dye has emphasized the 2nd block on bear

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got loads of Iron Bowl memories, almost too many to list. 

1972- I recall hearing my parents returning home after the game, hooting and hollering as soon as they got out of the car. Legion Field was only a mile from our house and they were still riding their euphoria. We bought one of the 45 RPM records that had Gary Sanders and Gusty Yearout's radio call of Punt, Bama Punt. We wore that sucker out in the 10-year drought afterward. 

1982- I returned to Birmingham for the weekend, having moved to Mobile some months beforehand. It felt good to be back in familiar territory, in a town that was used to being at the epicenter of college football and had seasonal changes to match it. My mother and I went to some old friends' house in Trussville, Auburn folks we had known for most of my life. It was an amazing feeling as the closest I had come to watching Auburn win it was sitting in the stands with my father while Auburn led going into the fourth quarter of the 1979 Iron Bowl. Auburn closed the deal this time and it was unforgettable. 

1986- I was slated to work during the Iron Bowl and would miss it altogether. I wanted to convene with friends across Mobile Bay in Daphne as we had done a few times that football season. I discovered the manager-on-duty the Friday night before the game was under the impression corporate policy dictated that any clerk whose drawer was off by $20 (over or under) was automatically suspended for their next shift. I simply failed to ring in enough video tape rentals to create an overage. After the discrepancy was discovered at shift's end, he said, "Well, when's your next shift?" 

"Tomorrow," I replied. 

He looked up at me, eyes gleaming as he slowly smiled. "You son of a gun," he said. I just laughed. 

I got to see Lawyer's introduction to legendary status. 

1987- My only experience sitting in Legion Field's upper deck. It didn't feel nearly as sturdy as the ones in Auburn. The Tide faithful didn't have a lot to cheer that day as Auburn just toyed with them like a cat with an unfortunate insect. I remember hearing the impact when Kurt Crain knocked out Clay Whitehurst and how it was the conclusive note to the lowest scoring domination I've seen. 

1989- I was tending bar in Mobile, got off work about 2 a.m., went home then hit the interstate to meet my father at Saturday's game. Though tired, the anticipation of witnessing history kept me awake. I arrived at some friends' apartment in Auburn, took a nap, then walked into town from out near Glenn and Dean. 

Although it was still early for game day, it was obvious something was different. The crowds, the energy, it was all unprecedented. I walked around for a couple of hours soaking it in before finally meeting Dad. 

I don't need to tell anyone here about the game experience itself. Afterward, I parted company with Dad and headed for Toomer's. On the way, I ran across one of my bar regulars from Mobile. I jumped in his jeep as we made our way to the celebration, the wildest I had ever seen there. 

1997- I watched the Iron Bowl from a bar in the French Quarter. My girlfriend's birthday was that weekend and we were celebrating with the stipulation that we would have to find a way for me to catch the game. Though she disliked football and understood little of it, she wondered why Auburn punted back to Bama with time running out and the game ostensibly slipping away. I was just as befuddled then we both were taken aback when cameras showed QB Dameyune Craig throwing what looked like a child's hissy fit on the sideline. Thank God for Martavious Houston and Jaret Holmes. 

2000- In what was the rawest weather I've seen for an Iron Bowl, Dad went back to the car for the second half but I stayed to watch Auburn edge the hapless Tide with a trio of Damon Duval field goals. The sleet and frigid temperatures couldn't keep me from watching the perfect cap to what had been the most miserable season for Tide fans I had ever seen in my life. 

2002- Dad and I were back in Tuscaloosa to watch an injury-plagued Tiger squad inexplicably top Bama using a third-string tailback and a tight end at fullback. 

2005- The only disappointment to the Sack Fest was Tuberville making the offense take its foot off the pedal. Auburn should have won that game by four touchdowns or more. 

2010- My sister was slated to attend the game with some of her Bama-loving in-laws so I gave her my advice on dressing for the weather that got me through the 2000 game. They opted out at the last minute. 

In Mobile, I was amazed to watch something I don't think will ever be matched in terms of overcoming adversity. It was about the most hostile, pressure-filled, emotional game an Auburn team could face but they showed the character for it. The Kick Six might have grabbed the world's accolades but this was far more stupendous. 

1 hour ago, Scribe Tiger said:

I've got loads of Iron Bowl memories, almost too many to list. 

1972- I recall hearing my parents returning home after the game, hooting and hollering as soon as they got out of the car. Legion Field was only a mile from our house and they were still riding their euphoria. We bought one of the 45 RPM records that had Gary Sanders and Gusty Yearout's radio call of Punt, Bama Punt. We wore that sucker out in the 10-year drought afterward. 

1982- I returned to Birmingham for the weekend, having moved to Mobile some months beforehand. It felt good to be back in familiar territory, in a town that was used to being at the epicenter of college football and had seasonal changes to match it. My mother and I went to some old friends' house in Trussville, Auburn folks we had known for most of my life. It was an amazing feeling as the closest I had come to watching Auburn win it was sitting in the stands with my father while Auburn led going into the fourth quarter of the 1979 Iron Bowl. Auburn closed the deal this time and it was unforgettable. 

1986- I was slated to work during the Iron Bowl and would miss it altogether. I wanted to convene with friends across Mobile Bay in Daphne as we had done a few times that football season. I discovered the manager-on-duty the Friday night before the game was under the impression corporate policy dictated that any clerk whose drawer was off by $20 (over or under) was automatically suspended for their next shift. I simply failed to ring in enough video tape rentals to create an overage. After the discrepancy was discovered at shift's end, he said, "Well, when's your next shift?" 

"Tomorrow," I replied. 

He looked up at me, eyes gleaming as he slowly smiled. "You son of a gun," he said. I just laughed. 

I got to see Lawyer's introduction to legendary status. 

1987- My only experience sitting in Legion Field's upper deck. It didn't feel nearly as sturdy as the ones in Auburn. The Tide faithful didn't have a lot to cheer that day as Auburn just toyed with them like a cat with an unfortunate insect. I remember hearing the impact when Kurt Crain knocked out Clay Whitehurst and how it was the conclusive note to the lowest scoring domination I've seen. 

1989- I was tending bar in Mobile, got off work about 2 a.m., went home then hit the interstate to meet my father at Saturday's game. Though tired, the anticipation of witnessing history kept me awake. I arrived at some friends' apartment in Auburn, took a nap, then walked into town from out near Glenn and Dean. 

Although it was still early for game day, it was obvious something was different. The crowds, the energy, it was all unprecedented. I walked around for a couple of hours soaking it in before finally meeting Dad. 

I don't need to tell anyone here about the game experience itself. Afterward, I parted company with Dad and headed for Toomer's. On the way, I ran across one of my bar regulars from Mobile. I jumped in his jeep as we made our way to the celebration, the wildest I had ever seen there. 

1997- I watched the Iron Bowl from a bar in the French Quarter. My girlfriend's birthday was that weekend and we were celebrating with the stipulation that we would have to find a way for me to catch the game. Though she disliked football and understood little of it, she wondered why Auburn punted back to Bama with time running out and the game ostensibly slipping away. I was just as befuddled then we both were taken aback when cameras showed QB Dameyune Craig throwing what looked like a child's hissy fit on the sideline. Thank God for Martavious Houston and Jaret Holmes. 

2000- In what was the rawest weather I've seen for an Iron Bowl, Dad went back to the car for the second half but I stayed to watch Auburn edge the hapless Tide with a trio of Damon Duval field goals. The sleet and frigid temperatures couldn't keep me from watching the perfect cap to what had been the most miserable season for Tide fans I had ever seen in my life. 

2002- Dad and I were back in Tuscaloosa to watch an injury-plagued Tiger squad inexplicably top Bama using a third-string tailback and a tight end at fullback. 

2005- The only disappointment to the Sack Fest was Tuberville making the offense take its foot off the pedal. Auburn should have won that game by four touchdowns or more. 

2010- My sister was slated to attend the game with some of her Bama-loving in-laws so I gave her my advice on dressing for the weather that got me through the 2000 game. They opted out at the last minute. 

In Mobile, I was amazed to watch something I don't think will ever be matched in terms of overcoming adversity. It was about the most hostile, pressure-filled, emotional game an Auburn team could face but they showed the character for it. The Kick Six might have grabbed the world's accolades but this was far more stupendous. 

Thanks for sharing........May have run into you and never knew it.......spent a many of 80's Friday night at Trinity's.

'89 game, with my dad and uncle - I was 10. My uncle parked his old rusty orange Datsun pickup right under the oak on Magnolia (obviously there were no rules when it came to parking back then). After the game, I stood in the pickup bed and threw rolls of TP into the tree.

(P.S. If anyone has pics of the oaks from right after the game that night I'd love to see them). 

Best Iron Bowl memory for me was the '89 game. Orange and blue air from all of the shakers. Incredible atmosphere and game. Best memory period was listening on the radio to the '72 game. Like Golf said, we had no business winning but we had no business winning 10 games that year either. They were amazin'. 

Sitting about 20 rows up in the end zone at Legion Field. I griped about those seats all the way to B'Ham. Then our field goal and both blocked punts were right in front of me. It was the best seat in the house. 17-16, 1972.

The 2005 Iron Bowl will always be special to me because it was my first to attend in person (freshman year in the AUMB).

I agree with the many others that rank 2010 over 2013. The walk down the upper deck belting every Auburn cheer while the Bama fans walked in silence was absolutely priceless. 

1989 was awesome. i remember the haze in the game from the shakers  

The best- 2013 in Auburn celebrating with family and friends. I will never forget it. Never seen Toomers like that. 

57 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

1989 and the 2nd isn't even close. 

I’d also go with this one and/or ‘93. 

Game I was at probably 2002 just because of how bleak things looked.  The game overall is meaningless since there wasn’t a championship on the line.  It was great to see little Tre Smith bust loose.

Game I watched was the Camback.  To be completely dominated for the first 2 quarters and fight back was AUmazing!

1993 was the first Iron Bowl that I was old enough to appreciate.  I remember listening to the whole game on my radio.  Down at halftime then Stan goes down.  That magical throw from Nix to Sanders.  Sanders was such a bad a$$

Probably been to twenty Iron Bowls.  1989 and 2013 were special, but the 1987 10-0 game may have been the best performance by a Pat Dye defense I witnessed.  Bama block a punt and got the ball inside our ten, first and goal.  I've been told by a couple of the players who were on the sidelines that the defensive coaches were running around yelling at the top of their lungs when Tracy Rocker walked over and said "Calm down, we got this".  The defense went out and stuffed them three straight downs and broke up a fake field goal on fourth down.  Auburn men playing Auburn football - doesn't get any better.

Im so glad you all posted your terrific memories! It's so fun reading these stories. My wife and I have been reading them and then going back and re watching some of them....awesome......It really is remarkable to see the Camback again.......my goodness......RIP LUTZ!!!! We will always love you

2 hours ago, im4aual said:

Probably been to twenty Iron Bowls.  1989 and 2013 were special, but the 1987 10-0 game may have been the best performance by a Pat Dye defense I witnessed.  Bama block a punt and got the ball inside our ten, first and goal.  I've been told by a couple of the players who were on the sidelines that the defensive coaches were running around yelling at the top of their lungs when Tracy Rocker walked over and said "Calm down, we got this".  The defense went out and stuffed them three straight downs and broke up a fake field goal on fourth down.  Auburn men playing Auburn football - doesn't get any better.

Yes this game is very rarely mentioned but our defense was SO good that once we took the lead we didn’t have to worry.  Loving this walk down memory lane!

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

2010 & 2013 were favorites. 1994 is the only one I’ve been to. In b’ham. It kinda sucked. 

I was there and agree about 1994 but I was at 1984 too and it was worse. At least the '94 UAT team was good. We had zero business losing to them in '84. 

2003 was my first Iron Bowl. When Cadillac took it 80 yards to the house on the first play from scrimmage, I was so excited that I started jumping up & down,  slipped, and fell on the woman in front of me. Thankfully, she was an Auburn fan and understood. 

My first IB...1972...17-16...still pissed 'bout the 1974 game when Thom Gossom was ruled out of bounds before catching what would have been the winning TD...the official on the sideline didn't call it, the ref in the offensive backfield was the one  who made the call....wish they had video review back then...play would of been over turned....

On 11/18/2018 at 8:16 PM, kevon67 said:

We bought one of the 45 RPM records that had Gary Sanders and Gusty Yearout's radio call of Punt, Bama Punt. We wore that sucker out in the 10-year drought afterward. 

I have that on my iPod after listening to it hundreds of times when I was a kid. I can still talk along with it word for word- my kids hate it when I do that 😀

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

My first IB...1972...17-16...still pissed 'bout the 1974 game when Thom Gossom was ruled out of bounds before catching what would have been the winning TD...the official on the sideline didn't call it, the ref in the offensive backfield was the one  who made the call....wish they had video review back then...play would of been over turned....

It wouldn't have taken video review, merely the change to the rules implemented not long after that game wherein a receiver forced out by a defender was still eligible to return to the field of play as a receiver. Alex Wright evened that up in 1989's second half when he was forced out and came back inbounds to pull in a long Reggie Slack pass down the west sideline. 

1993, my last football season as a student and Stan White had just gone down with a injury. Nix to Sanders on 4th and 15 from the Alabama 25. 

"Out of the shotgun, Patrick Nix. Alabama bringing everybody. Nix is going to float one for Sanders, Sanders. Oh, he caught it at the 2. And he dives in! Touchdown Auburn!"-Jim Fyffe

On 11/18/2018 at 6:25 PM, augolf1716 said:

1972 punt bama punt 17-16 game w/o a doubt and I've attended a lot of Iron Bowl games. We had no business winning that game which made it the more better

Mine too, the 2nd time bama was punting I turned to a buddy sitting next to me and said "Watch them do it again". It was almost like watching an instant replay.

Archived