Iron Bowl-what's your best memory?

Tigerpro2a

I was just a little kid.  Out driving around the sticks outside a small southern AL town with my grandfather looking for his hunting dogs.  We made it back to the house just in time for the game.  My entire extended family on my mom's side were there.  All are bama fans and alums.  Only AU fans are my immediate family, including my mom.  

Two and a half hours of non-stop bama ribbing, insults and BS.  

Then bama punted...

Iron Bowl 1972.

Best radio broadcast ever.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I was just a little kid.  Out driving around the sticks outside a small southern AL town with my grandfather looking for his hunting dogs.  We made it back to the house just in time for the game.  My entire extended family on my mom's side where there.  All are bama fans and alums.  Only AU fans are my immediate family, including my mom.  

Two and a half hours of non-stop bama ribbing, insults and BS.  

Then bama punted...

Iron Bowl 1972.

Best radio broadcast ever.

Want to listen to it again

https://puntbamapunt.com/

8 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Thanks for that.  It was awesome.  

Triggered some memories of those days and I literally got goosebumps.  Funny how memory is like that...  

Same here always will be my favorite game that I attended. I still have a 45 record playing that segment of the game

Favorite  memory as a kid was being at the 1993 game, the 4th down pass to Sanders left me awestruck. 

As an adult, it's 2010 even though I wasn't there.  The emotion swings of that game, man.  2013 was a close 2nd.

Worst game I attended that we won - 9-0 in BDS in 2000.  Low 30's and cooooold rain the entire game, just absolutely miserable.

Worst I attended that we lost - 2001 beatdown by a bad Franchione team.

Thanks for the replay! My first Auburn game as a freshman at Auburn! Still gives me chills. It was so surreal because the second blocked punt seemed like a replay. Same spot on the field, same great bounce! I am pretty certain we would not have been able to get it in on offense if David hadn’t run it in. Here’s to hoping for great special teams play on Saturday!

5 hours ago, Aucater said:

Mine too, the 2nd time bama was punting I turned to a buddy sitting next to me and said "Watch them do it again". It was almost like watching an instant replay.

Another thing I remember is that right after that was 1/2 the stadium looked like they had been hit with a taser deadly quiet and the other half was roaring and going wild with blue and orange shakers and stuff filling the air

5. 2000 Beating them at home in our first trip there. Sitting two rows under the upper deck dry as a bone while all the Tide Pride folks around us were miserable. Winning the west at their house after hearing two old guys talk about tradition for three hours was the icing on the cake.

4. 1993 Watched on the screen at Bryant Denny. The joy of watching Nix to Sanders and seeing the reaction of the place when Bostic broke his run was amazing. 

3. Camback

2. Bo over the top

1. The "Kick 6". I am an AU fan because of Bo over the top but 2013 tops it for me. We were in St Augustine, Fl at my sisters for Thanksgiving with my family. My sister and parents are huge bama fans so my brother-in-law and myself decided it would be best to watch it at a local sports bar.  We met a friend of his there to watch the UF-FSU game before ours and all of those fans stuck around for the real game. Basically this was a bar full of Gators and 'Noles plus the two of us and one obnoxious bammer (Can't avoid them). On the plus side everyone hates bama so it was a friendly crowd.

As it came down to the end and saban got his one second back I was sure we were about to have a Tiffin moment but felt good that if he missed we had it in OT. When the kick came up short there was a big cheer and then the unexpected happened and the place went nuts. It was one of the best atmospheres ever.  

22 hours ago, wde21 said:

Thanks for the replay! My first Auburn game as a freshman at Auburn! Still gives me chills. It was so surreal because the second blocked punt seemed like a replay. Same spot on the field, same great bounce! I am pretty certain we would not have been able to get it in on offense if David hadn’t run it in. Here’s to hoping for great special teams play on Saturday!

And here's to Bill Newton for blocking both of those punts. The radio call said Roger Mitchell blocked it but it was actually Bill Newton. I think Mitchell did block the extra point after bama's first TD and how big that play was!

Last year i was in attendance for my first iron bowl so i'd have to say it takes the cake for me by default

On 11/19/2018 at 10:33 PM, fredst said:

I have that on my iPod after listening to it hundreds of times when I was a kid. I can still talk along with it word for word- my kids hate it when I do that 😀

Imagine being like golf and having to chisel it on a tablet, fun times.

Best memory? Hard to choose between Bo Over the Top to end a decade drought following Shug's last season  and Barfield and "First Time Ever" which saw a great 30-20 comeback win by our Tigers when bammer came for the first time to Jordan-Hare. That said...Bo Over the Top has to be my choice. Those who did not live through the drought of the 70's and early 80's may not understand...

I was born in ATL, my dad came from an AU family(his dad graduated from API), so naturally, they were my favorite college team. We moved around the country for most of my youth until we moved back Birmingham, where my dad grew up.

My first time actually going to the Iron Bowl was ‘97, when I was in 7th grade. I hadn’t lived in Alabama but for maybe a year, so the whole rivalry between the two teams didn’t mean a whole lot to me until then—when there was a middle school faculty volleyball game that somehow predicted the outcome(?). That was the first time I remember rolling Toomer’s, and realizing how magical a place like Auburn is. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/11/inside_auburns_wild_1997_iron.amp

On 11/20/2018 at 3:23 PM, RHN1975 said:

5. 2000 Beating them at home in our first trip there. Sitting two rows under the upper deck dry as a bone while all the Tide Pride folks around us were miserable. Winning the west at their house after hearing two old guys talk about tradition for three hours was the icing on the cake.

That was the 9-0 game, right? My dad had secured 2 hospitality passes for my then girlfriend, and 3 stadium seats for her family. 

My girlfriend and I had fun, her bammer rootin’ family did not. Wound up having to meet them at the car and listened to the end of the game on the way back to Birmingham. 

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I was born in ATL, my dad came from an AU family(his dad graduated from API), so naturally, they were my favorite college team. We moved around the country for most of my youth until we moved back Birmingham, where my dad grew up.

My first time actually going to the Iron Bowl was ‘97, when I was in 7th grade. I hadn’t lived in Alabama but for maybe a year, so the whole rivalry between the two teams didn’t mean a whole lot to me until then—when there was a middle school faculty volleyball game that somehow predicted the outcome(?). That was the first time I remember rolling Toomer’s, and realizing how magical a place like Auburn is. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/11/inside_auburns_wild_1997_iron.amp

Lol made me feel old.....I was 30 in 97😢😁

My best memory is what Pat Dye had to say concerning Bill Curry's comment about bammer players receiving death threats prior to the 1989 game. It was a response only Pat could have come up with....a classic. 

Who remembers CPD's response? 

23 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

Pat Sullivan's junior year. 49 - 26 and Connie Fredrick scored on a fake punt!

That was Sullivan's sophomore year, 1969.

2010 iron bowl for me. Had the amazing pleasure of being there in person. Something i will never ever forget. The intensity in the air, the insane Bama fans threatening my cousin and i for wearing our Auburn gear, meeting Sir Charles before tge game, falling behind so big so early and the amazing comeback for victory which was part a special season. Will never ever forget that day. 

Top 3 in chronological order excluding the Kick 6 which I was fortunate enough to see in person : 

1. 1993- my dad and I sitting in his car because of the TV ban. Nix to Sanders and Fyffe having the crowd count down to 11-0 is my first AU football memory. 

2. The Sack Brody game. I was a student then. Really the only time in my lifetime I can remember absolutely manhandling them. 

3. The Camback- paid a guy $120 on the street in Tuscaloosa for a ticket even though they were going for twice that. Almost left at halftime but held true to my stance to never do that. Games like that are why even in years like 2018 I still wear AU gear every day of the week leading up to it and still have hope we can win Saturday.

Beat Bama!

1997 Iron Bowl was the only one I’ve ever been to and I left early. My dad took me and we had to sit in the middle of a huge section of bammers. Looked like we were going to lose for sure after punting with around 2 minutes left down 17-15. On our way out of the stadium we heard to crowd go NUTS and realized something was up. We huddled up with a few random Auburn fans and listened on one of their radios as we recovered an Alabama fumble and drove to within field goal range. Jaret Holmes nailed it and the crowd erupted. It would’ve been incredible experiencing it inside the stadium but it was awesome going nuts with our little group outside. I’ll never forget it.

2013 was special too but if I had to pick one it’d be ‘97. Best game I’ve ever attended was 2006 LSU. Eric Brock was a neighbor of mine and we partied HARD that night

Archived