Kevin Steele a Candidate for Head Coaching Job.

GwillMac6

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Me too. Well Tubbs and Tater Tot.

You are 35ish right? I am 29. Thank God NO BARFIELD FOR US!!!!! lol.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You are 35ish right? I am 29. Thank God NO BARFIELD FOR US!!!!! lol.

Just turned 40 last month. But no Barfield in my memory. I was alive during his tenure, but as far as I can remember is the last year of Dyes tenure. I don't even remember Bo playing for us.

I mean I get the older crowd thinking it could be a possibility. I'm sure back in the day Bear would pull crap like that. But those days frankly are gone. Bama doesn't need to distract us to blow us out this season. I don't like it, but it is what it is. The fact is we aren't a very good football team for a number of reasons that I won't point out. They haven't discussed ad nauseam. And that Bama team is maybe one of the best they have ever had. 

Frankly I'm just hoping we don't get beat by 50.

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

Just turned 40 last month. 

I mean I get the older crowd doing thinking it could be a possibility. I'm sure back in the day Bear would pull crap like that. But those days frankly are gone. Bama doesn't need to distract us to blow us out this season. I don't like it, but it is what it is. The fact is we aren't a very good football team for a number of reasons that I won't point out. They haven't discussed ad nauseam. And that Bama team is maybe one of the best they have ever had. 

I am expecting a 2011 type of game truthfully. What about you? Also I agree with everything you said. We are in lockstep about that.

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I can imagine Saban wants Gus to stay. I think you’re good. 😂

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am expecting a 2011 type of game truthfully. What about you? Also I agree with everything you said. We are in lockstep about that.

I'm expecting a 2011 or 2012 type result. But I just hope we keep it respectable.

The question I have is what happens if we get beat 56-0 or something similar. How safe would Gus be then? Would he keep his job with next year looking like it will be worse than this season? Looking at things objectively, and not through orange and blue shaders, we are looking at 2021 before we have a real chance to make another run... Or if we get blown out 56-0, would he be fired the next day? If so, would we make Steele the interm? 

There are so many questions... Sometimes it's incredibly difficult being an Auburn fan. The roller coaster never seems to stop.. 

2 minutes ago, eagle63 said:

Alabama retirement is a very large incentive for someone of his age.  Can't see him leaving.

I used to think that as well, but when he just signed a 2 million dollar contract extension, and has been making over a million per season, how important is that Alabama retirement really? I don't buy into that anymore. Not with the money he is making.

6 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm expecting a 2011 or 2012 type result. But I just hope we keep it respectable.

The question I have is what happens if we get beat 56-0 or something similar. How safe would Gus be then? Would he keep his job with next year looking like it will be worse than this season? Looking at things objectively, and not through orange and blue shaders, we are looking at 2021 before we have a real chance to make another run... Or if we get blown out 56-0, would he be fired the next day? If so, would we make Steele the interm? 

There are so many questions... Sometimes it's incredibly difficult being an Auburn fan. The roller coaster never seems to stop.. 

Nope, Bama could hang 70 us Saturday and Gus will be still be the HC next year. Our AD and Pres have decided that sinking the football program the next year or two is better than sinking their pride and the bad PR for the president agreeing to that ridiculous contract. 

Instead of coming up with $16 million in 30 days after Dec 1, 2018, they'd rather have to come up with $13 million in 30 days after Dec 1, 2019. WE'RE SAVING $3 MILLION!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Nope, Bama could hang 70 us Saturday and Gus will be still be the HC next year. Our AD and Pres have decided that sinking the football program the next year or two is better than sinking their pride and the bad PR for the president agreeing to that ridiculous contract. 

Instead of coming up with $16 million in 30 days after Dec 1, 2018, they'd rather have to come up with $13 million in 30 days after Dec 1, 2019. WE'RE SAVING $3 MILLION!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

giphy.gif

YOU GET A LIKE!!! AND YOU GET A LIKE! AND YOUUUUUUUU GET A LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a simple man. I see a Ric Flair gif and I like!!!!!!! lol WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

11 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

giphy.gif

The AD is no fan of Gus I can assure you

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

but but but, gus is the future!  and greene is looking forward to working with him for a long time!

23 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

giphy.gif

I don't necessarily think this is reality. Greene would face immense pressure if we get beat 56-0 much less 70-0. 

And I meant what I said when I said it's looking like 2021 will be our best chance to make a run. Next year we will have UGA and Bama at home. But we will have most likely lost our QB. We will have the same OL with a year of experience, but that won't magically make them stronger. Boobie, Asa, and Shivers will have a year under their belt but again, we will still struggle with the OL. We will also be decimated on defense. We don't have a Derrick Brown waiting in the wings. We don't have a Russell waiting in the wings. Our DL and LBs will all be new save for Coe. Next year (2019) we will struggle to even become bowl eligible unless something drastic changes. 2020 we play Bama and UGA on the road again. It's been almost as long since we beat UGA in Athens as it's been since we beat LSU in Baton Rouge. So looking at it objectively, it looks like 2021 before we can really make another run. Now is the perfect time to make that change. And just because an AD or University President says they support the coach, getting 2012 blown out or more just may give Greene the kick in the pants to make that change. Who knows if he actually would, but saving 3 million isn't a lot... Not when you consider what we stand to lose.. 

54 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I used to think that as well, but when he just signed a 2 million dollar contract extension, and has been making over a million per season, how important is that Alabama retirement really? I don't buy into that anymore. Not with the money he is making.

Start with taxes...and look at the net...…:)..and when you retire, a million bucks ain't what it used to be...BUT....why walk away from it if you have the option to stay ….so maybe if the Troy coach were to get a new job (not beyond reason) then the Troy job might cover the pension issue.....but Charlotte is ..or should be a non-starter for a guy like him.    

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Start with taxes...and look at the net...…:)..and when you retire, a million bucks ain't what it used to be...BUT....why walk away from it if you have the option to stay ….so maybe if the Troy coach were to get a new job (not beyond reason) then the Troy job might cover the pension issue.....but Charlotte is ..or should be a non-starter for a guy like him.    

But when you're only guaranteed next year, is it worth it to stay and then get let go next year or get a small time HC gig for the next 3-4 years and at least have more job security? 

If he's staying at Auburn for the pension and not the money, then I could definitely see him considering leaving. He'd have to still be at Auburn until 2021 in order to obtain the pension. I'd say the chances of Gus still being the HC at Auburn in 2021 aren't that great. I don't think going 8-4 next year will save Gus. I'd think getting 9-10 wins would be the mark Gus would have to hit in order to get to 2020.

Let him go.   Not that big of a fan, sorry.   There has to be a young defensive minded, energetic guy in the pros, that can come to AU and shake things up.   AU needs to have multiple fronts and different schemes to adjust.    Just haven’t seen it with Steele.   I have said all year that the games AU has lost (except GA) has been more to do with how the defense has played more so than the offense 

2 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

But when you're only guaranteed next year, is it worth it to stay and then get let go next year or get a small time HC gig for the next 3-4 years and at least have more job security? 

If he's staying at Auburn for the pension and not the money, then I could definitely see him considering leaving. He'd have to still be at Auburn until 2021 in order to obtain the pension. I'd say the chances of Gus still being the HC at Auburn in 2021 aren't that great. I don't think going 8-4 next year will save Gus. I'd think getting 9-10 wins would be the mark Gus would have to hit in order to get to 2020.

Good point but there are HC jobs available every year …..and odds of Steele being here next year are close to 100% so what's the rush ?.  No reason to take a big salary cut and there are few once in a lifetime opportunities

As noted, elsewhere..... if you have good coaches on your staff, some school is gonna be nosing around almost every year trying to get one of them. 

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I completely agree with this.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good point but there are HC jobs available every year …..and odds of Steele being here next year are close to 100% so what's the rush ?.  No reason to take a big salary cut and there are few once in a lifetime opportunities

As noted, elsewhere..... if you have good coaches on your staff, some school is gonna be nosing around almost every year trying to get one of them. 

I could also see Ed Orgeron trying to hire Steele at LSU if Aranda leaves after this year.

12 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

8, 9, and 10 wins? I don't see it. With what we have returning and our schedule, I see us struggling to get to 6 wins next season. 

Aug. 31: vs. Oregon (in Dallas) L
Sept. 7: vs. Tulane W
Sept. 14: vs. Kent State W
Sept. 21: at Texas A&M L
Sept. 28: vs. Mississippi State ?
Oct. 5: at Florida L
Oct. 19: at Arkansas W
Oct. 26: at LSU L
Nov. 2: vs. Ole Miss W
Nov. 16: vs. Georgia L
Nov. 23: vs. Samford W
Nov. 30: vs. Alabama L

Of course the Ws and Ls are my opinion, but I don't see any way we get close to 8, 9, or 10 wins

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

8, 9, and 10 wins? I don't see it. With what we have returning and our schedule, I see us struggling to get to 6 wins next season. 

Aug. 31: vs. Oregon (in Dallas) L
Sept. 7: vs. Tulane W
Sept. 14: vs. Kent State W
Sept. 21: at Texas A&M L
Sept. 28: vs. Mississippi State ?
Oct. 5: at Florida L
Oct. 19: at Arkansas W
Oct. 26: at LSU L
Nov. 2: vs. Ole Miss W
Nov. 16: vs. Georgia L
Nov. 23: vs. Samford W
Nov. 30: vs. Alabama L

Of course the Ws and Ls are my opinion, but I don't see any way we get close to 8, 9, or 10 wins

Could be but lots of unknowns about next season and I don't see it as an extension of this one.   I think there will be major changes in coaching staff and who will be the QB?    .but D could still be pretty solid though as I've said, lately the D has not lived up to expectations.....some injuries have hurt but Steele is almost sure to be here and he's better than average at that job. JMO

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

giphy.gif

NO!!!! NOT THIS!!!! NOT MOTHER FRICKIN’ THIS!!!!!

Except Nature Boy...I’m cool with that gif

14 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I could also see Ed Orgeron trying to hire Steele at LSU if Aranda leaves after this year.

I guess he could...might be a "buyout" if Steele leaves early.  He might be a comfortable hire for Ed....and someone above commented that if he were to leave we should look for a young up and comer, NFL assistant or someone like that.   JMO but guys like Steele, Chavis and some other older coaches  are not fully in tune with the newer offenses and I would not see his leaving as a disaster...….but I don't expect it as long as he's making his AU salary. .  

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I don’t understand. He said almost the exact opposite a week ago. How can this be?........😂

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

I don’t understand. He said almost the exact opposite a week ago. How can this be?........😂

Gus has made his life more difficult......a sticky problem to be handled.....something that he probably thought was  going to be non-issue about a year ago. 

Archived