Kevin Steele a Candidate for Head Coaching Job.

GwillMac6

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gus has made his life more difficult......a sticky problem to be handled.....something that he probably thought was  going to be non-issue about a year ago. 

Again: he didn’t have security which was a problem...he wins two games so he gets ridiculous security supposedly fixing that problem....and now we’re in a worse situation than we were, even compared to after the LSU debacle last year. SMH, JABA. I have to laugh to keep from crying....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, fredst said:

Again: he didn’t have security which was a problem...he wins two games so he gets ridiculous security supposedly fixing that problem....and now we’re in a worse situation than we were, even compared to after the LSU debacle last year. SMH, JABA. I have to laugh to keep from crying....

Problems with head coaches often don't stay fixed  for very long..  Leath and Greene likely never saw this coming.....some folks might suggest they should have but what were the options?   Sign him or let him go and try to find someone else?   

Check the number already fired or soon to be fired this year.  And consider that when they signed their contracts, things looked good.  USCw coach is about gone...what is he? number 4 since Pete Carroll?  

AD job is not easy....managing a bunch of Type A  guys who make four or five times your salary and probably can behave as independently as they choose to. 

18 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Also most of you in this thread reek of little brother syndrome. Not everything that's said about Auburn is some ploy by the turds. 

It's no wonder the turds call us little brother. You guys think Bama is behind everything that happens. 

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like me and you have said before. Look who is the MAIN person driving this narrative. 64. THE OLDER CROWD. They are guilty of this more than the crowd that grew up in the Dye years or me who grew up in the Tub years.

Ok, I'm calling horse manure on you two and sticking up for 64 on this one. While you "younger" people pat each other on the back, understand something. This has nothing to do with 64 having some nonsensical 'little brother syndrome'. It also has nothing to do with who has the strongest team in any given year. What this has everything to do with is AU and UA wanting to f*** with each other over anything and everything. That's just the reality. Why ? Because both sides can. It's all part of the rivalry and has been ever since the Shug Jordan era and probably before. The "older crowd" knows that and has fun with it.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Problems with head coaches often don't stay fixed  for very long..  Leath and Greene likely never saw this coming.....some folks might suggest they should have but what were the options?   Sign him or let him go and try to find someone else?   

Check the number already fired or soon to be fired this year.  And consider that when they signed their contracts, things looked good.  USCw coach is about gone...what is he? number 4 since Pete Carroll?  

AD job is not easy....managing a bunch of Type A  guys who make four or five times your salary and probably can behave as independently as they choose to. 

I’m not campaigning for the AD job, lol. I was all for giving Gus a raise as a “vote of confidence”, maybe a year extension. I was also all for calling the “he’s going to Arkansas” bluff. Whoever made the definitive decision on the current contract though..... 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So if Gus says something, it's iron clad, but if the most Sr coach on this staff says something, it isn't reality? I don't get it. 

And I also don't get the thinking that hiring TWill as DC is absurd thinking... Not too long ago, a team we are very familiar with, hired a position coach that had never been more than a TE and WR coach as their head coach. We aren't talking about TWill as head coach. Taking that risk has sure paid off for Clemson. Had you been a Clemson fan, something tells me you would of said hiring Dabo as head coach was ABSURD since he had never been more than a position coach. I guarantee you would of said that he was in no way ready to be head coach at a major University.  He has only gone on to produce a 112-30 record and has a national championship.

When a coach has "it" you do whatever you can to keep them. TWill has "it." Again, no one is suggesting he be hired as head coach. To me, the idea that he couldn't possibly do the job is what's absurd.

Dabo had been a coach longer the 3 years.  

What is this “It” factor you are talking about?  His recruiting?  He’s a good recruiter but as everyone always say we shouldn’t settle and that would be the epitome of settling.   Nothing in his coaching says he should be a defensive coordinator 

On November 18, 2018 at 10:31 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Not at all. This is ridiculous and reaks of little brother syndrome. Bruce is a west coast guy and is stationed in LA. He never covers bama or does pieces on them. Why in the world would he be used if this was the motive to try and "distract" us during Iron Bowl week?

So Feldman,. Being the west coast guy stationed in LA has the inside scoop on Charlotte then??  Lol,  now that is a good one my man Gwill..    I am not a black helicopter guy at all,. But I think during the AU bama week,. If a reporter wants hits..  They can practically say or post anything and it will grow legs...   

6 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

So Feldman,. Being the west coast guy stationed in LA has the inside scoop on Charlotte then??  Lol,  now that is a good one my man Gwill..    I am not a black helicopter guy at all,. But I think during the AU bama week,. It a reporter wants hits..  They can practically say or post anything and it will grow legs...   

If he wanted to do it just for clicks he would of just tagged Steele to a bigger name job that could come open or is open. Bruce Feldman is not that type of reporter. He is not our dear friends Pete Thamel and Thayer Evans. I know this is hard for so many to believe in here but he probaly has it from a good source that he heard charlotte is interested in Steele. That is not hard to believe at all. Makes sense on paper for THEM.

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

He signed the extension after the Tennessee game. You tell me. And regarding your sleep, knock yourself out.

I am just joking bro. I was waiting for the comeback actually lol.

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

The AD is no fan of Gus I can assure you

Truth be told he's not a big fan of Leath right now either. Only problem is, he can't come out and say that, but he's not happy about being stuck with Gus's contract.

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

Dabo had been a coach longer the 3 years.  

What is this “It” factor you are talking about?  His recruiting?  He’s a good recruiter but as everyone always say we shouldn’t settle and that would be the epitome of settling.   Nothing in his coaching says he should be a defensive coordinator 

This^^^^. Being a position coach for a couple or 3 years does not qualify one to be a DC scheming a defensive plan every week for a different opponent.

All Kevin Steele has to do is hold out for 3 games into next year and he'll be Auburn's HC.  Though it'll be "interim" it'll give him a chance to prove his worth.

It'll be the opposite of Gus.... He'll meddle with the D (which he already does, mostly well) and leave Hugh Freeze alone to run his Offense.

That would be interesting....

16 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I wonder if Auburn could hire Joe Whitt Jr to coach linebackers.

Yeah, and maybe we can hire Nick Saban to replace Kevin Steele if he leaves....and Dabo Swinney to replace Chip Lindsey.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

There was zero need to get the contract negotiated at the time it happened. None. Tell Sexton that the deal would get done after the season. If that was not good enough then start looking at different options. Call his bluff, that was all it was. AU blinked and got it stuck to them. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

There was zero need to get the contract negotiated at the time it happened. None. Tell Sexton that the deal would get done after the season. If that was not good enough then start looking at different options. Call his bluff, that was all it was. AU blinked and got it stuck to them. 

This is what I’ve been saying all along. There was absolutely no chance Gus was going to leave AU for Arky. Instead of showing some b***s we caved in just because the guy had finally won the two games we expect to win on a semi-regular basis. The arguments at the time about “we had to pay him because that’s what the market is and what his performance justifies” were ludicrous.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Exactly.

Not to mention, IMO it divided Gus' attention from the game at hand, which was only the SECCG...

Still haven't forgiven Gus for that.  Probably why I'm so apathetic now, except when I see pics/videos of Gus followed by WR bubble screens & slow developing hand-offs up the middle.

Makes me wanna throw darts at the TV but I don't, cuz, you know....I don't have $7M to afford new TVs.

12 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

So Feldman,. Being the west coast guy stationed in LA has the inside scoop on Charlotte then??  Lol,  now that is a good one my man Gwill..    I am not a black helicopter guy at all,. But I think during the AU bama week,. If a reporter wants hits..  They can practically say or post anything and it will grow legs...   

Feldman is very well respected. His twitter page also lists several other candidates for the Charlotte job, including the Bama WR coach.

30 minutes ago, CR said:

Feldman is very well respected. His twitter page also lists several other candidates for the Charlotte job, including the Bama WR coach.

If Steele is indeed interested in the Charlotte job, then there is a bigger internal mess going on that anyone knows about. I don't believe Steele is interested. Charlotte might be. IMO. 

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Looks pretty simple in hindsight I guess....

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly.

Not to mention, IMO it divided Gus' attention from the game at hand, which was only the SECCG...

Still haven't forgiven Gus for that.  Probably why I'm so apathetic now, except when I see pics/videos of Gus followed by WR bubble screens & slow developing hand-offs up the middle.

Makes me wanna throw darts at the TV but I don't, cuz, you know....I don't have $7M to afford new TVs.

Amen *10000

There is no way shape or form that anyone from any party should be remotely thinking about fancying a new contract the week during a freaking championship game!!! NONE, absolute zero. High incompetence for sure. Very unprofessional in my belief and flat out rude to the team. You have all the time in the world at the end of the season. It should be a breach of contract to work on a contract during championship game. How selfish really. Every single second of that week should be solely invested in winning the damn championship game. Plus it just made us look like a bunch of *******.

And then of course we have seen the results of the contract... 7-6 so far.....

Archived