Men vs Xavier

tgrogan21

in the first 3 games, we had excellent ball movement ( except for the first 25 minutes of the miss college game) and i did not see that against Xavier....they reverted back to the hero-ball that we played last year with heron ....we cannot play that style without him, we just can't....doughty cannot take the day off like he did yesterday....based on what hooks said,he is a slasher/drive the basket type player and he had played well up to yesterday......was the moment too big for him?.....it better not have been because today is a much bigger moment than yesterday.....we have to have a big game out of him today and chuma didn't do a michael jordan imitation either.....i hate to say it, but wiley is just not agile enough to create his own shot....maybe its rust or the extra weight because i remember him being more nimble around the basket as a freshman( i think i do anyway).....i hope we were looking ahead because we can play much better than we did, i have seen it

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well the passing was pretty bad but we're not horrible with fundamentals. We play at such a helter skelter pace to be a good offense in it we have to be fundamentally sound. 

Positives the guys forms are text book when they shoot, especially Brown. He doesn't take bad shots as far as shooting off balanced and stuff, I think that its so good it feels uncomfortable when he has to improvise. The floor was slippery but I feel like we make good decisions in transition. 

I'm not all that knowledgeable about the game.  Maybe watching so much Villa Nova around here has tainted me.  I've yet to get a grip on our offensive strategy.  And not just because our game is fast.  We look so undisciplined and on the ragged edge of control.   Don't get the perimeter shots 4 seconds into a possession as a matter of course.  It's hard for me to watch.

14 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I'm not all that knowledgeable about the game.  Maybe watching so much Villa Nova around here has tainted me.  I've yet to get a grip on our offensive strategy.  And not just because our game is fast.  We look so undisciplined and on the ragged edge of control.   Don't get the perimeter shots 4 seconds into a possession as a matter of course.  It's hard for me to watch.

This is how Bruce plays. He did it at UT and he does it now. It's also why we won the SEC Championship last season. Learn to love it my man! It looks really bad when shots don't fall and it looks incredible when they are dropping. It's all about controlled chaos. We will never run a rigid system like Jay Wright. Yes, sometimes it's frustrating when we see a brick when it's one pass or less and a shot goes up but it's all part of our system. We ask our guys to play their butts off on D in exchange for freedom on O

19 minutes ago, AURealist said:

lol, thats bruce pearl basketball....i remember when he was hired and that was what he said....we will take bad shots on occasion,turn it over on occasion, look undisciplined and ragged at times, but we will play it with 100% effort, pressure the ball all of the time.....THERE IS A METHOD TO THE MADNESS....i don't like this style of basketball but you can't argue with the results....we are the fresher team at the end of the game, but it does grate on my nerves the way we play sometimes

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This is how Bruce plays. He did it at UT and he does it now. It's also why we won the SEC Championship last season. Learn to love it my man! It looks really bad when shots don't fall and it looks incredible when they are dropping. It's all about controlled chaos. We will never run a rigid system like Jay Wright. Yes, sometimes it's frustrating when we see a brick when it's one pass or less and a shot goes up but it's all part of our system. We ask our guys to play their butts off on D in exchange for freedom on O

10 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

lol, thats bruce pearl basketball....i remember when he was hired and that was what he said....we will take bad shots on occasion,turn it over on occasion, look undisciplined and ragged at times, but we will play it with 100% effort, pressure the ball all of the time.....THERE IS A METHOD TO THE MADNESS....i don't like this style of basketball but you can't argue with the results....we are the fresher team at the end of the game, but it does grate on my nerves the way we play sometimes

LOL. You make me feel like a such tightass.  I was in school with Sir Charles and went to those games.  'Unstructured' would fairly describe that kind of play.

But this O is madness!. MADNESS, I say!  

Villanova is pretty free flowing though, yes we run a open system but there is still stupid shots. A one pass possession is the worst one to have. Worse than a no pass because when they bring it up and shoot it's in a rhythm and the confidence is up. Only way it's good with one pass if the defense had some sort of mistake

There's also a tendency to just simply back up in order to get your shot off. Brown and Harper both did it some yesterday (I'm talking about Harper on the catch, not off the dribble). 

4 hours ago, AURealist said:

We're not good at the fundamentals, we're not bothering to run a real offense - at least not against Xavier.  So what's Pearl been working on?  And don't say free throws, because we all know that's not true.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. BE carefullllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Here. Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu WILL MAKE gwill have a strokeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Fammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

12 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Extreme extremely glad Xavier was not hitting shots yesterday like they are today. They are on fire 

You may have spoken too soon...

Xavier looked good early, but their legs look a bit heavy now....they blew a huge lead and it looks like it was due to fatigue AND it appears that they might be getting a bit of the stinky end of the referee stick today....they are getting the end that we got some of yesterday

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Xavier looked good early, but their legs look a bit heavy now....they blew a huge lead and it looks like it was due to fatigue AND it appears that they might be getting a bit of the stinky end of the referee stick today....they are getting the end that we got some of yesterday

That was a crazy turn around in a short amount of time. 

Just now, BJCrawford said:

That was a crazy turn around in a short amount of time. 

yes, it was....i think bill walton spent the morning smoking dope....it would be a much more enjoyable game if the brain damaged bastard would just shutup....he gives almost no commentary,just stupid crap

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

yes, it was....i think bill walton spent the morning smoking dope....it would be a much more enjoyable game if the brain damaged bastard would just shutup....he gives almost no commentary,just stupid crap

My absolute least favorite contributor ever...in any sport.

Free throws missed at end of 4th quarter put us in OT. I believe we missed 4 of 6 at the end of 4th quarter. It is not always about percentage made but when you make them or don't make them.

23 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I actually played at and graduated from Auburn. You did neither obviously. 

Cool story but that has nothing to do with you never post or just have discussions about sports, you just come in and throw shots. Like you tried to do just now, but I'm comfortable that my profession places some of the most rigorous tests just to even apply.  I always laugh at the people that want to throw shots at my intelligence because they are mad that we didn't agree. Says quite a bit about you.

Do you want a hug or something? What exactly are you mad about lol. Like really what could I say to you for you to still be at it. I had issues with PT. He said some of the most demeaning stuff you can say, I don't and wouldn't have any desire to chase him down in post years later. You're not even funny 😂. Just hang it up

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Free throws missed at end of 4th quarter put us in OT. I believe we missed 4 of 6 at the end of 4th quarter. It is not always about percentage made but when you make them or don't make them.

I said we could actually use this and literally play the tape and say this is why staying focused and closing a half is important. We had like a 9 point swing the last few minutes of the half

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

My absolute least favorite contributor ever...in any sport.

Friend lives in Washington state....and is burdened by Bill Walton being on most of the Pac ballgames.....drives him nuts...

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Friend lives in Washington state....and is burdened by Bill Walton being on most of the Pac ballgames.....drives him nuts...

I'd move...

His voice is like a cheese grater to your sac

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I'd move...

His voice is like a cheese grater to your sac

He moved to Tucson ...but BW followed him there too...:)    so …."mute" button is the answer 

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Or a total laryngectomy...😁

its just all of his 6th grade level stupid crap that has nothing to do with the game....one of, if not the greatest center( him,alcindor or olijhowan) to ever play college basketball ought to add more to a broadcast than he does

Archived