Who Are Your Top Returning Impact Players?

Linayus

I wanted to start a more positive thread as I've found myself not getting on the forum much lately because it seems every thread gets hijacked into negativity. So please, I beg of you, refrain from any coach/player bashing and instead focus on the bright spots!

That said, who is your top impact players that are returning next season? Give me one from offense and defense (you can provide more but I'm actually curious to see who we are all excited about). I know there are some questions as to who may be declaring early (or transferring) but at this moment just pretend that ALL underclassmen (and Seniors with eligibility like Hastings) are staying until we know 100% otherwise. :)

Offense: Seth Williams - it's hard to believe this guy is a true freshman. He truly knows how to go get the football instead of letting it come to him. And when is the last time we saw a WR lay out for a catch the way he did on Saturday?? The way our WR corps just gives up on throws that are just out of reach infuriates me. It's one thing if you're angled wrong and just can't adjust to the ball but it's a complete lack of "want to" if you're in position to make a play but give up because it's slightly overthrown. Hopefully, Seth steps into a leadership role within the group and helps change the mentality there.

Defense: Nick Coe - with all the talk about Marlon Davidson and Derrick Brown, I think any of us could make the argument that Nick Coe has made more of an impact this season than any of the others along that talented front. I believe he leads the team in TFL with 13.5 and he didn't even play against Liberty (and I think Alabama State as well). I know they've struggled with pass rush this season and even stopping the run at times, but we're actually TIED at 10th (with Bama) in the TFL category and 13th in Sacks. A lot of that is thanks to our boy Nick Coe!

So let me know.. who are your picks?!

2 hours ago, Linayus said:

I wanted to start a more positive thread as I've found myself not getting on the forum much lately because it seems every thread gets hijacked into negativity. So please, I beg of you, refrain from any coach/player bashing and instead focus on the bright spots!

That said, who is your top impact players that are returning next season? Give me one from offense and defense (you can provide more but I'm actually curious to see who we are all excited about). I know there are some questions as to who may be declaring early (or transferring) but at this moment just pretend that ALL underclassmen (and Seniors with eligibility like Hastings) are staying until we know 100% otherwise. :)

Offense: Seth Williams - it's hard to believe this guy is a true freshman. He truly knows how to go get the football instead of letting it come to him. And when is the last time we saw a WR lay out for a catch the way he did on Saturday?? The way our WR corps just gives up on throws that are just out of reach infuriates me. It's one thing if you're angled wrong and just can't adjust to the ball but it's a complete lack of "want to" if you're in position to make a play but give up because it's slightly overthrown. Hopefully, Seth steps into a leadership role within the group and helps change the mentality there.

Defense: Nick Coe - with all the talk about Marlon Davidson and Derrick Brown, I think any of us could make the argument that Nick Coe has made more of an impact this season than any of the others along that talented front. I believe he leads the team in TFL with 13.5 and he didn't even play against Liberty (and I think Alabama State as well). I know they've struggled with pass rush this season and even stopping the run at times, but we're actually TIED at 10th (with Bama) in the TFL category and 13th in Sacks. A lot of that is thanks to our boy Nick Coe!

So defnitely no argument here! I for one am super excited about alot of our returning players. That being said...i'll try to keep the list to a minimum. 

1- Anthony Swartz- This kid is amazing world class speed... and I'm extremely excited about his future at Auburn. I do hope that we utilize him more in the passing game and not just on gimmick plays and jet sweeps. If I were coaching at least 3 times a game ( preferrably 2nd and short) I would call Flash Deep and just launch the ball and see if he can run under it. 

2 Seth Williams- Im just as excited about Seth as I am Flash...if not more. Seth has been a Monster and will be. He attacks a ball with his hands and has surprisingly ran exceptional routes i say surprisingly because that was supposedly one of the knocks on him as a recruit was his route running. Several of our receivers try to cradle the ball into their bodies and end up dropping passes....Seth should be the example for all. He is great on 50/50s I think he will only get better.

Boobie- I was highly skeptical of BWhit being a 3*QB turned RB. And there were several growing pains throughout this season and especially with the lack of development on the Oline, but Boobie has blossomed. I think he has the potential and will be a SEC caliber back. 

Honorable Mentions - Tega, Asa, Worm---def Worm I somehow forgot about him. .and i think back to how we utilized OMac...Worm is like OMAC and Dyer combined....if he could add 15-20 lbs and retain all his speed...he'd be unstoppable.

DEF

my number 1 is Coe  What you said lol

2- Big Kat Bryant- I know he has under performed this year to alot of our expectations however i still feel really good about this kid. If you remember J Holland wasnt the pass Rushing beast he became until his JR year. I have a feeling Big Kat is going to break out....He has a huge motor, he just needs to learn more technique and hone his skill set.  I think the future is bright for him

3 Jamien Sherwood and Smoke Monday- both of these kids played a lot this year and played well. With True Frosh come True Frosh mistakes and they both have made some....but they have made some game impacting plays as well. You could go ahead and add King Tutt to this list as well. I think he will develop into a nice DB but I am super excited for Sherwood and Smoke

Zacoby McClain- Haven't seen a lot of him this year but What I have seen I like. He made some impressive plays Sat against Liberty. He was my favorite LB in that class and I think he will be a star. 

Kenny Britt, Richard Jibunour, Michael Harris, Coynis Miller, TD Moultry (thats a whole nother topic but I still have faith )

Not to jinx anything but can't Coe declare this year. If he stays (we need him back more than anyone) he's my defensive pick. I also think Noah can be explosive on D and ST. 

How can you not pick Williams and Schwartz. Looking forward to seeing Matthew Hill next year. Could be a great triumvirate. I'm putting all my eggs in the Bo camp. With a name like that how can he not be great. 

Coe was my surprise guy last year but now everybody knows him, my next guy is McClain. I think next year everybody will know this guy. 

I'm too aggravated to talk about the offense and I'm going to honor the OP wishes and keep it positive

18 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see McClain transfer.  Barely been used in an offense that could have definitely used him. 

I think he’s talking about ZaKoby

19 hours ago, Linayus said:

Coe might not be back next year. 

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Offense:  Seth, Schwartz, and Shivers

Defense: Sherwood, Noah, J. Davis

New impact starter: Troxell and Britt

Britt needs to step in up a notch. He is going to be counted on next year bigley. Not ready yet. 

14 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Stidham!

(he says ducking)

Well, he could return next season. I'd be shocked, but he could. lol

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Horton, Brahms/Kim, Harrell

They will impact this team one way or the other.

Too true, too true... lol

37 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Coe might not be back next year. 

Might not, but I said at this point consider them all as staying another year. I definitely wouldn't hold it against him if he decided to go. He's had such a good year!

If you look at the offense - we're losing Ryan Davis (that sucks bad) and Chandler Cox (also sucks bad). Presumably we're losing Stidham but he could always stay. That's an insane amount of talent that we're getting back. Arguably we could be in the same boat we've been in this year but the potential for an explosive, speedy offense is there.

On the defensive side - we're losing a lot more that's going to be hard to replace: Deshaun Davis, Darrell Williams, Dontavius Russell, and Montavious Atkinson are all seniors. Add in Coe/Davidson/Brown who could all declare early and we're all going to be very nervous about our front seven next year.

That would be just like Auburn's luck though.. we'll solve the answers on offense next year but our defense will be the weak link. lol (Though we did win a championship with a mediocre defense... ;))

12 minutes ago, Linayus said:

If you look at the offense - we're losing Ryan Davis (that sucks bad) and Chandler Cox (also sucks bad). Presumably we're losing Stidham but he could always stay. That's an insane amount of talent that we're getting back. Arguably we could be in the same boat we've been in this year but the potential for an explosive, speedy offense is there.

On the defensive side - we're losing a lot more that's going to be hard to replace: Deshaun Davis, Darrell Williams, Dontavius Russell, and Montavious Atkinson are all seniors. Add in Coe/Davidson/Brown who could all declare early and we're all going to be very nervous about our front seven next year.

That would be just like Auburn's luck though.. we'll solve the answers on offense next year but our defense will be the weak link. lol (Though we did win a championship with a mediocre defense... ;))

Stidham is gone. You can 100% book this. The OL isn't going to be any better. So. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Stidham is gone. You can 100% book this. The OL isn't going to be any better. So. 

I'm sure he will be. I wish him the best with whatever decision he makes (stay, declare, or transfer). I'm actually really excited to get Bo Nix here so Stidham's departure makes Nix a viable candidate for starting QB next season.

Or.. best case scenario is Nix is able to redshirt and learn the offense and we get Kelly Bryant for next season. :)

Offense - Seth Williams should be a 1,000 yard receiver next year

Defense - Iggy has been one of our best corners and he’s still learning the position. I think his growth continues and he sures up half the field next year.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Britt needs to step in up a notch. He is going to be counted on next year bigley. Not ready yet. 

I think he will be...

58 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I still can't understand the people that think the O Line will be better next year just because they're returning starters. This isn't like when the Ziemba-Pugh group played as freshman and you could see they would be better.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I think he will be...

How do you see Smoke coming along?

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

How do you see Smoke coming along?

He hasn't had as much in-game opportunities as Sherwood due to backing up Dinson, but I think he is going to be really good.

42 minutes ago, CR said:

I still can't understand the people that think the O Line will be better next year just because they're returning starters. This isn't like when the Ziemba-Pugh group played as freshman and you could see they would be better.

I don't know. We have seen several players look like garbagio with no hope but they turned it around in an off season. Shon Coleman for example

Archived