Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Liberty (backups)

JMR

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

22 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Thanks @JMR!  Any thoughts on Malik Willis?

I thought Willis was much more unselfish with the ball than earlier in the year. His reads were spot on, and he threw the ball better. Not great, but better. Just needs more experience/confidence. 

1 hour ago, JMR said:
John Samuel Schenker has played more and more recently, and got a good bit of PT this week. I liked his hands coming out of high school, and still do. But he has become more and more proficient as a blocker as he’s gained experience. This week he played both H-back and tight end, and I was encouraged by his play. At 6-3, 245, he has a chance to be a capable replacement for Chandler Cox at H-back, which is a key role in Malzahn’s run game. Schenker is one I’m looking forward to watching grow.

Tashawn Manning and Brodarius Hamm got some major time at the offensive guard spots, and I am encouraged by their physical talents. Like any offensive lineman who hasn’t played much, they looked a little tentative at times, and don’t yet have the confidence to just let it rip without thinking about it. But both are big and strong, move well, and I thought were more physical at the point of attack than some of our starters.

I'll be watching these for sure. I've liked what we've already seen from JSS and he definitely has soft hands so we could actually use him more in the passing game in the HB or TE role.

I really hope Manning and Hamm come along in the spring and earn spots on our o-line. I've been rooting hard for Hamm!

• Like 1

Glad to hear some nice things about the young Oline guys.  I know they have a ways to go but maybe the future isn’t all doom and gloom as many would lead you to believe.  I think a lot of people, myself included, thought Grimes would be able to flip a switch on this line but change takes time sometimes.  While the improvement hasn’t been as quick as many would hope at least it does sound like minor improvement is occurring every week.  Hopefully they ball out of their minds this week and give a healthy Boobee some lanes.

Coach....like the overview of the younger players...I mentioned this earlier in another post, but for the bowl game I would hope the coaches would play Willis, Gatewood and the other QB they signed in August to give them some experience but also get an idea who can play; especially is Kelly decides to come to Auburn...treat it like a NFL pre-season game with the QB's...give JS one series and bring the young QB in... 

22 hours ago, JMR said:

I thought Willis was much more unselfish with the ball than earlier in the year. His reads were spot on, and he threw the ball better. Not great, but better. Just needs more experience/confidence. 

I just like his quickness.  Short of a stud tailback, I think it's part of the running game that Malzahn's offense is dependent on to be successful.  Saw flashes of it Saturday which were encouraging ...

On 11/20/2018 at 11:42 AM, JMR said:

Well coach, I am stating the obvious here, but the guy has to play to get both of those.

22 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Well coach, I am stating the obvious here, but the guy has to play to get both of those.

I meant for that to be my (subtle) point. Sad that we haven’t gotten him more PT this season. Sometimes we couldn’t afford it, but some times we could/should have. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Liberty (backups)
  • RunInRed unpinned this topic