2019 Softball Schedule

Apparently just posted on Auburn Athletics site.  Looks like a upgrade in difficulty to me at quick glance.  Couple of early games with UAB.  Some sort of tournament in Gulf Shores to start the season (Feb 8 - 10) called Sand Dollar Classic.  Teams not determined to this date.  The tournament in California will be a big challenge.  

A definite upgrade in difficulty.  I've already mentioned that we pick up the three putative best teams in the conference in Florida, UGA, and SC.  UAB games will afford an opportunity to see Jenna Olszewski, who should start for them.  Oregon and Washington back-to-back?  We'll see some hellaciously good pitching in those two games, plus UCLA the next day.  I like the tougher early schedule to get us ready for the SEC.  We're going to build some character.

41 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Didn't UAB get the former Oregon coach? 

Coach Jimmy Kolaitis coached 5 seasons at Oregon as hitting coach and recruiting coordinator.  I believe he will be a terrific hire for UAB.  

• 3 weeks later...

I printed off the schedule as published 12/4/2018 and was looking at the first tournament; Sand Dollar Classic, Feb. 8-10.  Today, the schedule reveals a  couple of changes in opponents and schedule dates.  University of South Alabama has dropped off and Tennessee State now appears.  They are our 1st game on Friday, Feb. 8.  They had a very poor record last year overall 4-48.  Western Kentucky University has moved up as our 2nd game that day.  They had a C-USA record last year 10-13.  

The following day we play Missouri State University (17-8, MVC) and Louisiana Tech (15-9 C-USA).

On Sunday we play Florida A&M.

Most of these teams played anywhere from 1 to 3 games against a SEC opponent last year and did not win any of those games.  On the surface this does not appear to be a very tough field and the best competition will likely be Saturday against Missouri State and Louisiana Tech.  

Last year on these dates, in Gulf Shores, the day time temps were seemed to be mid 60's.  If that were to hold up this year, it would be a lot better than some early season games I have attended.

The next week competition gets an upgrade with UAB, Furman, Drake and Texas Tech at the Plainsman Invitational in Auburn Feb 14-17.

• 3 weeks later...

So has practice started? I suppose it will start just after new year. 

I believe they start right after the first week of January or roughly 1 month prior to first game at the Sand Dollar Classic beginning Feb. 8.

Addendum:  first practice last season was January 5.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a discussion on the Robocoach College Softball site about SEC predictions (Whiskey does some good posting there).  Most responders put AU in the lower half of the conference this year.  Part is due to having the most difficult SOS based on how teams finished in 2018.  Our season begins in 1 month at the Sand Dollar Classic in Gulf Shores.  I purchased passes in hopes of some decent weather and excuse to get a seafood fix.  I am still upset at the news (4WDE) that Tissier is out for this season.  About a month ago I asked my wife who were the 2 most important non starters for 2019.  We settled on Dowell and Tissier.  Dowell has shown great skill at multiple infield positions and could fill or start at 3rd, 2nd or SS.  I felt Tissier looked good at catcher last fall and would be good to fill for Veach if needed.  Opens door for Nillen who participated in fall.  

I thought Tissier had one of the cleanest swings on the team.  Has there been any more info as to why she's out?

Edit:  I believe Tissier is in the bowling photos on Twitter.

A recent picture on the softball twitter page showing a group photo of most of the players at a bowling party looks like she has a wrap or brace on right lower leg.  Not a good clear view so cannot be for sure.  Element of speculation on my part.  Also, Godwin, another likely catcher, was out in the fall due to recovery from knee surgery. I believe her injury was 1 year ago this month.  I am planning to go to the preseason softball banquet this weekend so maybe I can get some sort of update there. 

On 12/25/2018 at 7:34 AM, slot canyon said:

I believe they start right after the first week of January or roughly 1 month prior to first game at the Sand Dollar Classic beginning Feb. 8.

Addendum:  first practice last season was January 5.

How does one get tickets to the SD Classic?  Thanks. 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, AUBwins said:

So has practice started? I suppose it will start just after new year. 

Auburn Softball Twitter page just tweeted "First week of practice in the books".

On 1/9/2019 at 7:51 AM, slot canyon said:

There was a discussion on the Robocoach College Softball site about SEC predictions (Whiskey does some good posting there).  Most responders put AU in the lower half of the conference this year.  Part is due to having the most difficult SOS based on how teams finished in 2018.  Our season begins in 1 month at the Sand Dollar Classic in Gulf Shores.  I purchased passes in hopes of some decent weather and excuse to get a seafood fix.  I am still upset at the news (4WDE) that Tissier is out for this season.  About a month ago I asked my wife who were the 2 most important non starters for 2019.  We settled on Dowell and Tissier.  Dowell has shown great skill at multiple infield positions and could fill or start at 3rd, 2nd or SS.  I felt Tissier looked good at catcher last fall and would be good to fill for Veach if needed.  Opens door for Nillen who participated in fall.  

I'm going to try to get over there for the saturday games.  I haven't bought tickets yet though.

Presume you are talking about the Sand Dollar Classic. My wife and I should be there. I will be the one with an AU hat and crumbs from an oyster Po' Boy on my shirt. Hope we have reasonable weather.

A site College Sports Madness , https://collegesportsmadness/softball, does a  pre-season projection of top 44 teams each year, revealing one team each day.  They just projected AU #25 nationally and #11 conference.  Picked Missouri #32 and Ole Miss #36.  Last year they picked Oklahoma #1, Fla #2 and Florida State #10.  The brief article is free.  

They have since added Miss. St. at #24.  I have thought that we would finish above MSU and A&M.I still think we'll be better than both those teams, but the toughest schedule in the conference will work against us, rankings-wise.

13 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

They have since added Miss. St. at #24.  I have thought that we would finish above MSU and A&M.I still think we'll be better than both those teams, but the toughest schedule in the conference will work against us, rankings-wise.

The recently released SEC poll  agrees with you.  AU ranked 9th in the SEC  conference poll  Posted on AU Athletics softball.

Archived