Doughty

cole256

Going to give him time, last night I said he might not be a D1 player and that is jumping the gun. I tried to temper the unreal expectations off of rumors from practice. It was silly to place he's going to make everybody forget about Herron stuff upon him. But it is what it is. It's been bumpy but have a little patience, it's his first year playing with these guys in real games. 

He was pretty poor the last 2 nights and had a great game to start the year.  He’ll fall somewhere in between.  He doesn’t have the offense of Herron or rebounding of Murray.  He has positives and could be a solid defender.  I think he pressed too hard the last 2 nights and has probably never played against this level talent .  I predict he settles in and is a solid mid-minutes contributor but DP is gonna make this team take off - after a few rusty games.

8 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

He was pretty poor the last 2 nights and had a great game to start the year.  He’ll fall somewhere in between.  He doesn’t have the offense of Herron or rebounding of Murray.  He has positives and could be a solid defender.  I think he pressed too hard the last 2 nights and has probably never played against this level talent .  I predict he settles in and is a solid mid-minutes contributor but DP is gonna make this team take off - after a few rusty games.

I gotta say that's a pretty wise prediction

Okeke was off last night too.  Many times we have seen him be lights out on the 3 ball.  BUT-----  Okeke is showing his prowess as a future NBA player.  When he posts up, he can take anybody to the basket.  I think we need to post him up more one on one if we get a good matchup.  Also i believe the shots will start falling.  Doughty has looked good defensively and at times very good in transition.

He'll be fairly important for us going on. I have to remind myself he sat out last year too. He's gotta get used to playing for real again.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Okeke was off last night too.  Many times we have seen him be lights out on the 3 ball.  BUT-----  Okeke is showing his prowess as a future NBA player.  When he posts up, he can take anybody to the basket.  I think we need to post him up more one on one if we get a good matchup.  Also i believe the shots will start falling.  Doughty has looked good defensively and at times very good in transition.

Chumma has been the teams best player, doughty hasn't shown up yet. To be honest I feel like you may have watched someone else and confused them to be Doughty.  

Well actually Harper may have been the best player so far 

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Chumma has been the teams best player, doughty hasn't shown up yet. To be honest I feel like you may have watched someone else and confused them to be Doughty.  

Well actually Harper may have been the best player so far 

Why must you be some confrontative?  Who said anything about Doughty being the best?  I said he has look good defensively, and he has. He has 10 steals this year more than anyone else.  He has been disruptive and caused turnovers.  No, he is not Heron, but no one said he was. 

Where was I confronting you? And you're right who said anything about him being the best? I haven't? You said he's looked very good in transition. I was specifically talking this tourney but I see you must be talking about the games at the beginning of the season. I didn't say anything about you saying he was Herron so I don't know why you said that. But nobody was talking about chum ma but you did and I was just going off what you said.

Just because someone may not see what you see is no reason to be angry, just post why you say it and talk about it. No reason to get feelings involved

You dished it out.  I am not the one who has labeled you a troll, but i agree.   You confronted my statement, not the other way around.  And i made a point of saying he looked very good SOMETIMES in transition, which he has-- accounting for the 10 steals and averaging almost 4 assists.

1 hour ago, lost said:

You dished it out.  I am not the one who has labeled you a troll, but i agree.   You confronted my statement, not the other way around.  And i made a point of saying he looked very good SOMETIMES in transition, which he has-- accounting for the 10 steals and averaging almost 4 assists.

cole is 100% correct about doughty....i was expecting a much better performance from him on the island, and i was going off of 3 early games and glowing reports from a booster (hooks) who gets to go to practice.....he has not shown up against good competition....VCU is a good basketball program so he is not chopped liver but he has to show up against the upper crust

Offensively He has fell off.  Of course he just had 13 minutes against Duke.  My point was he has done well in transition for the most part.  Duke had a lot to do with how bad he played i think.  But hopefully he will settle in tonight against Arizona and hit a couple of 3's.... and stay out of foul trouble.

1 hour ago, lost said:

I dished what out? Confronted your statement? Listen if you're sensitive as far as you don't want anybody to disagree with you then just don't post. If that's thecase I can say you confronted me because you are saying that he has played well since I posted first. See how that works? But no you can feel free to disagree with me if you want, I don't take it personal. 

And once again you are talking about him playing against the warm up teams and that's fine. I was talking about his performance in the tournament when I posted before you. 

2 points in 2 games. So I can't say I agree with he's played well in transition. Played well how? 

Defensively, we seemed to be a step slower last night, that caused a few of the reach in fouls.  That and if we breathed near a Duke player in the first half a foul was called.  Give Doughty time.  He will fit in and get better. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Going to give him time, last night I said he might not be a D1 player and that is jumping the gun. I tried to temper the unreal expectations off of rumors from practice. It was silly to place he's going to make everybody forget about Herron stuff upon him. But it is what it is. It's been bumpy but have a little patience, it's his first year playing with these guys in real games. 

I'm not so sure you jumped the gun.

I wrote a long post today during lunch that I had planned to post tonight, and one of the main subjects was how awful Doughty has played.  He can't hold a candle to Heron.

I heard the same thing you heard about Doughty in the preseason: that Pearl would have a hard time taking him out of the game because of his great versatility.  And for some stupid reason, I believed it.  But I also believed the preseason hype about our football team being a CFP contender.  I'm an idiot.

And you're right: he may pan out in time.  But if we had Heron last night, we might have won.  He surely would have bested Doughty's pathetic stats and 14 minutes of foul-plagued (in)action.

But Pearl is starting him, so he must see something in Doughty that I don't.  But then again, I know almost nothing.

56 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

children, please!!!!...cole, its not a big deal

Well I was trying to make it not be. I'm more confused than anything. No anger

10 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I'm not so sure you jumped the gun.

I wrote a long post today during lunch that I had planned to post tonight, and one of the main subjects was how awful Doughty has played.  He can't hold a candle to Heron.

I heard the same thing you heard about Doughty in the preseason: that Pearl would have a hard time taking him out of the game because of his great versatility.  And for some stupid reason, I believed it.  But I also believed the preseason hype about our football team being a CFP contender.  I'm an idiot.

And you're right: he may pan out in time.  But if we had Heron last night, we might have won.  He surely would have bested Doughty's pathetic stats and 14 minutes of foul-plagued (in)action.

But Pearl is starting him, so he must see something is Doughty that I don't.  But then again, I know almost nothing.

Everything you wrote was what I felt, but I heard the rumors, didn't believe them. Or I guess I should say I just knew doing it against let's sat Duke is different than playing in the hot box and running up the score

i do think doughty will be more of a contributor at the 1 or 2 off of the bench to help with giving harper some rest.....i just hope purifoy gets himself in shape to play a number of minutes as soon as he is eligible....malik "wildchild" dunbar has got to play a bigger role until then

Harper amazes me at times. But I think we have to shift our strategy away from a 3 point based offense. I think we are going to have a great year either way. But we can’t lose the free throw battles in the tough games. Gonzaga used quickness in the post ( what little I saw) against duke.  We didn’t push the ball inside enough. Okeke could be that guy.  With good options to dish to. 

I missed the first couple games doughty did well. I have no opinion on him. 

Samir is also just a sophomore with 1 year at a mid major and 1 year redshirting. With how players progress after a year on the floor with Bruce I simply cannot write him off yet. 

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Samir is also just a sophomore with 1 year at a mid major and 1 year redshirting. With how players progress after a year on the floor with Bruce I simply cannot write him off yet. 

I’m high on all the players. Dunbar has a couple good games too. 

Just now, alexava said:

I’m high on all the players. Dunbar has a couple good games too. 

I think he should start personally

Archived