have quite the ceiling with Purifoy

Dual-Threat Rigby

This really could be a sweet 16 team, no jinx. They showed us today they CAN be a slashing team that works the paint when they choose to be. They're a stifling defense when the refs arent performing a whistle concerto. The ceiling is the roof as they say

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to develop a backup point guard.  At least give 10-12 minutes a game especially these next games before conference play begins because Harper can’t play 38 minutes every game

We are assuming Purifoy can come in and light it up after being in limbo for so long. I hope some of us can temper their expectations, when he (potentially)doesn’t come out on fire like some are anticipating. 

I’m assuming he’ll have some rust to knock off just like Wiley. 

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

Got to develop a backup point guard.  At least give 10-12 minutes a game especially these next games before conference play begins because Harper can’t play 38 minutes every game

I like McCormick’s game offensively but the coach doesn’t and he knows more than me. IDK about Samir, I’m not sure how long it’ll take him to get it 

• WarTiger changed the title to have quite the ceiling with Purifoy
15 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We are assuming Purifoy can come in and light it up after being in limbo for so long. I hope some of us can temper their expectations, when he (potentially)doesn’t come out on fire like some are anticipating. 

I’m assuming he’ll have some rust to knock off just like Wiley. 

That’s what’s so great to me, we don’t need him to light it up. He’s another big time club in the bag though. We have options galore on any given night and he’s one of them. 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I like McCormick’s game offensively but the coach doesn’t and he knows more than me. IDK about Samir, I’m not sure how long it’ll take him to get it 

I think it is his decision making and careless errors limiting JJ playing time. 

Having said that, he played with better effort and overall looked a little more comfortable out there.

8 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Final four caliber squad easily. This team goes as far as Bryce takes us though

I’d love that but there are a lot of good teams this year. Sweet Sixteen should be achievable but will depend on matchups. 

Everybody needs to cool their jets....the season just started....things are looking good, but the 'real' season starts in January with the SEC, then March Madness...we need to continue to improve...don't need to be peaking in November....

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

I’d love that but there are a lot of good teams this year. Sweet Sixteen should be achievable but will depend on matchups. 

Very true. And to be honest we played well but we didn't show anything  to say we're a final four team

Man, Davion Mitchell could have really helped us this year I think. Wish he would have stayed to give us 10-15 minutes a game. I like the potential of the guys we’ve got though.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Man, Davion Mitchell could have really helped us this year I think. Wish he would have stayed to give us 10-15 minutes a game. I like the potential of the guys we’ve got though.

I said the same. Before the year started I pointed out we would, but now seeing the team I think he could've started ahead of doughty. With the right rotation keep either him or Harper on the floor and he would've been satisfied with playing time that way. Win win for everybody

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I said the same. Before the year started I pointed out we would, but now seeing the team I think he could've started ahead of doughty. With the right rotation keep either him or Harper on the floor and he would've been satisfied with playing time that way. Win win for everybody

Didnt he leave after Mustapha too? Thats like the second or third most integral player in terms of minutes outta there. Davion's game was nice though, I could see where he thought he might be a starting type of guy at a smaller school 

On 11/23/2018 at 10:49 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Didnt he leave after Mustapha too? Thats like the second or third most integral player in terms of minutes outta there. Davion's game was nice though, I could see where he thought he might be a starting type of guy at a smaller school 

Baylor isn't a "smaller school" bball wise than AU. They may be lower ranked now, but they've had a really good program recently. I think Davion just left because he figured Jared would be at AU for four years and he didn't want to wait that long to be the man. Davion is  an absolute baller and I was upset to see him go. He would've had the same type of leap in progress that Chuma had if he'd stayed imo. He's got pro potential

On 11/23/2018 at 7:33 PM, tigerman1186 said:

Everybody needs to cool their jets....the season just started....things are looking good, but the 'real' season starts in January with the SEC, then March Madness...we need to continue to improve...don't need to be peaking in November....

Yeah, we need to be talking about the bowl game.  ;)

19 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Baylor isn't a "smaller school" bball wise than AU. They may be lower ranked now, but they've had a really good program recently. I think Davion just left because he figured Jared would be at AU for four years and he didn't want to wait that long to be the man. Davion is  an absolute baller and I was upset to see him go. He would've had the same type of leap in progress that Chuma had if he'd stayed imo. He's got pro potential

No I don’t think Baylor is a smaller program, I just forgot where he went to lol. They’re very likely going to be lesser ranked for the extent of Davion’s tenure though, based on the likelihood our results leads to an uptick in star recruits and Baylor being in the dumps for a minute now

and yeah, if he could’ve got his shooting tuned up here, he would’ve been a great two way, Jrue Holiday type 

On 11/23/2018 at 9:10 PM, cole256 said:

I wish we still had him, but don't think he would start over Doughty. I think he would be getting about the same minutes that McCormick is getting. 

20 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

We don't know what type of leap forward he may have taken. Harper is our best player right now, and there is no way he would have taken minutes from Harper. I think Davion was a nice player and a potentially elite defender, but don't think his departure will translate to the difference between wins and losses.

His position is too important that it wouldn't be a big deal. He's literally a strength for everything we lack right now. And I'll still have to wait and see but there has yet to be anything shown as to why he couldn't start.....but Harper can't play every minute of every game. And the little time he tried to rest it really impacted the game. We'll see how it goes but we couldn't hardly stay in front of anybody at the tournament

i wonder when this convo happened?  you'd like to think the guy was preparing mentally and physically for the last year to "show everybody" ... i may be over reading this tweet, but that isn't the kind of thing i'd like to see from an nba caliber player. 

On 11/23/2018 at 9:34 AM, Gene Loblaw said:

Final four caliber squad easily. This team goes as far as Bryce takes us though

Really? Did you see how far he took us after Mac went down last year?  

IMO, Mac is, by far, the most important player we have.  That's not saying he is the best or most talented, just the most integral.  

On 11/26/2018 at 11:31 AM, cole256 said:

His position is too important that it wouldn't be a big deal. He's literally a strength for everything we lack right now. And I'll still have to wait and see but there has yet to be anything shown as to why he couldn't start.....but Harper can't play every minute of every game. And the little time he tried to rest it really impacted the game. We'll see how it goes but we couldn't hardly stay in front of anybody at the tournament

We really don't have a true secondary ball handler.  It's is glaring when Harper sits. It will be stressed and taken advantage of by good defenses

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

We really don't have a true secondary ball handler.  It's is glaring when Harper sits. It will be stressed and taken advantage of by good defenses

I think McCormick is coming around.  He's not there yet but he is getting better. I'm hoping he can give Harper some needed breaks going forward. 

Where did he think he was going to be playing that he'd need the extra weight? Makes you wonder if Pearl was thinking of using him at the 4!?! Cole would loss his damn mind!! haha

But i'm glad he is getting in game shape. I don't expect to see him back and fully up to game speed before January....and i just hope he can get there before we get too deep into SEC play. 

EDIT: I'm not expecting a whole lot from Purifoy like a lot of others. I know we've heard good things but i'm always wary of hearsay. I'm sure he looks great in shoot arounds but i bet he looks like a guy who hasn't played ball in 2 years when he gets in the game for the first time. 

Archived