have quite the ceiling with Purifoy

Dual-Threat Rigby

Yup, I'm going to temper expectations for a guy who hasn't played in a long time. If he gives us 8th man type of production I'll be happy. Anything better than that is bonus. Setting the bar low here with some breakout potential IMO.

I really think he can be good but he probably has a significant amount of rust to shake off. If nothing else his size alone should help us.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Yup, I'm going to temper expectations for a guy who hasn't played in a long time. If he gives us 8th man type of production I'll be happy. Anything better than that is bonus. Setting the bar low here with some breakout potential IMO.

I really think he can be good but he probably has a significant amount of rust to shake off. If nothing else his size alone should help us.

Yeah, I've been trying to contain my expectations as well.  He's gonna have some rust to shake off, plus he's a few games behind everybody else in terms of getting ready for conference schedule.  And I'm afraid he might press too hard in the beginning, and get impatient.

But he might progress faster than I think.  I hope so.

2 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, I've been trying to contain my expectations as well.  He's gonna have some rust to shake off, plus he's a few games behind everybody else in terms of getting ready for conference schedule.  And I'm afraid he might press too hard in the beginning, and get impatient.

But he might progress faster than I think.  I hope so.

Yup. Hopefully he just slides right into the flow of the O but I know finding the on court chemistry is going to take some time 

It'll take time to shake off the rust, but there's no question he's one of the five most talented guys on the team. He did look pudgy in the exhibition game though. Looked at least 10 pounds heavy, but he'll get there. I don't expect him to start right away, but I'll be surprised if he's not starting by the end of the year. Doughty is a Swiss Army knife and should be used to fill various roles off the bench as the game calls for it. That would be the best use of his talent.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:17 PM, mcgufcm said:

It'll take time to shake off the rust, but there's no question he's one of the five most talented guys on the team. He did look pudgy in the exhibition game though. Looked at least 10 pounds heavy, but he'll get there. I don't expect him to start right away, but I'll be surprised if he's not starting by the end of the year. Doughty is a Swiss Army knife and should be used to fill various roles off the bench as the game calls for it. That would be the best use of his talent.

He lost 30-40 pounds as of last week 

sooooooo ... only 1 more purifoy-less game!  I hope he gets up to speed fast fast fast.  I'm gonna be bummed about dunbar losing minutes, but CBP seems to really like doughty over dunbar.  maybe doughty will get more at the 2 and 1 and let it be a purifoy/dunbar rotation at the 3.  somebody is about to start losing some real minutes.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

sooooooo ... only 1 more purifoy-less game!  I hope he gets up to speed fast fast fast.  I'm gonna be bummed about dunbar losing minutes, but CBP seems to really like doughty over dunbar.  maybe doughty will get more at the 2 and 1 and let it be a purifoy/dunbar rotation at the 3.  somebody is about to start losing some real minutes.

I don't think you can keep Dunbar off the court right now. He's perfect in his off-the-bench role. He's playing well enough to be a starter to be honest, but his punch off the bench is good for us IMO to keep our 2nd unit strong and still dangerous. I think his minutes stay the same.

My guess is that Samir loses his minutes at the 3 while they're gobbled up mostly by Jelly and Dunbar. I think McCormick's minutes take a slight hit as Samir slides into the main backup 1, and when he fills in for Bryce at the 2 is when J'Von comes in at the 1.

I need to see Purifoy play 3 or 4 games before I start predicting who will play and how many minutes each will play. I remember hearing how good Danjel was 1st year when he was red-shirting then next year he started and the hype seemed to be true then he got hurt and never seemed the same again. Especially with driving to the bucket with authority.

Again I have heard so many good things about him from other players on the team that I am getting excited but my rational head says wait and see it against real competition.  I am hoping the chemistry stays strong and that he has bought into Tough D and solid boards we are seeing every night.

Such a pity that the young man is deprived of making his debut in front of the adoring and supportive fans inside The Clam, but my god won't it be nice to finally see him playing in an AU uniform this Saturday. The wait is over. Time to #unleashDanjel

Good place for him to get back on the floor....not as much pressure.   Maybe BP will make him part of the "second line" for a while.     I see that Wiley is somewhat considered in a 6th man role.....could do that with some others too?  …....like back in the day with Dean Smith at Carolina had a blue unit and substituted in mass when the starters needed a rest.....the "blues " were a cohesive unit having played together and could be pretty effective for several minutes stretches. .

3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Such a pity that the young man is deprived of making his debut in front of the adoring and supportive fans inside The Clam, but my god won't it be nice to finally see him playing in an AU uniform this Saturday. The wait is over. Time to #unleashDanjel

you just gave me hope. is the uab game going to be on tv? i looked up their schedule and all it said was radio..........thanx in advance.

17 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you just gave me hope. is the uab game going to be on tv? i looked up their schedule and all it said was radio..........thanx in advance.

CBSSN - CBS Sports Network. Channel 221 if you have DirecTV if I'm not mistaken 

What's the best record we've ever had? I could *knocksonwood* really see us winning out until Kentucky. Not that we'd lose to them but that's the next real test that I see. Can't get complacent but these guys could really go the distance. 

On 11/30/2018 at 3:57 AM, bigbird said:

Really? Did you see how far he took us after Mac went down last year?  

IMO, Mac is, by far, the most important player we have.  That's not saying he is the best or most talented, just the most integral.  

McLemore may have been the most integral late last season (although I would say it was Harper), but he certainly isn't the most integral right now. Depth at the 5 spot was a huge problem last season, not so this year. Harper is the key IMO, he makes the system go. Brown, Okeke, McLemore, Wiley are all important, but losing Harper would hurt us more than any other. 

On 12/5/2018 at 1:06 PM, mustache eagle said:

Don't think it will be Dunbar.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:50 PM, Tiger said:

I don't think you can keep Dunbar off the court right now. He's perfect in his off-the-bench role. He's playing well enough to be a starter to be honest, but his punch off the bench is good for us IMO to keep our 2nd unit strong and still dangerous. I think his minutes stay the same.

My guess is that Samir loses his minutes at the 3 while they're gobbled up mostly by Jelly and Dunbar. I think McCormick's minutes take a slight hit as Samir slides into the main backup 1, and when he fills in for Bryce at the 2 is when J'Von comes in at the 1.

I could see something like this. Purifoy works his way back to start at the 3 and Doughty is backup at the 1 and the 2, with Dunbar off the bench at the 3. 

Bruce said in the presser today that he's gotta work his way into the rotation. Probably pretty standard coach speak but I don't expect him to get 20 plus minutes for at least a 3 or 4 games. Gotta think Jvon and Horace are gonna see a drop in their already sparse amount playing time.

Really want to see Danjel start driving to the rim this year with authority. He did that quite effectively before his injury the year he was eligible. This guy is a former top recruit and imo arguably the most talented and most NBA potential on the team. Really need him to play well even though it will take time.

19 hours ago, Zeek said:

What's the best record we've ever had? I could *knocksonwood* really see us winning out until Kentucky. Not that we'd lose to them but that's the next real test that I see. Can't get complacent but these guys could really go the distance. 

I certainly can't answer that but IDK how they lose to any team in the SEC this year outside of UT...maybe a caveat given to UK if their guards can figure it out, but right now they certainly dont scare me either. The biggest thing that set Auburn apart roster wise last year was size (and the SEC just being overall better last season) and we're far better off, especially with someone like Danjel surveying the court. 

13 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Bruce said in the presser today that he's gotta work his way into the rotation. Probably pretty standard coach speak but I don't expect him to get 20 plus minutes for at least a 3 or 4 games. Gotta think Jvon and Horace are gonna see a drop in their already sparse amount playing time.

There's really just not a spot for Horace on the offense with Wiley already playing under the basket whenever he's in and Horace being a very underwhelming talent on the perimeter. His defense is still a great tool to have in case we play UT for example and just need some defensive matchups. He also allows you to play a switchy lineup of Samir-Bryce-Horace-Mac-Chuma/Danjel. I think alotta of Horace's value will come in his potential rather than his production going forward. J'Von just needs to keep sitting back and learning until its his time in future seasons

Horace's value is most noticeable when our aggressive defensive style leads to foul trouble for our bigs. How great is it that if we get in a little bit of foul trouble we aren't having to decide which 4 needs to slide over to the 5 mid-game???????

Based on the exhibition game ... I figured it’ll take 4-Ish games before he’s consistent.  Hope for sooner.  I’m gonna be at the game tomorrow and I predict he’ll be borderline bad.  Hope not

On 12/13/2018 at 11:53 AM, Zeek said:

Ever? We've been number 1 before if I'm not mistaken

If he becomes a threat to get to the rack like he showed before his injury in what seems like 2013 he has a chance to be a force. I am expecting him to take some time to knock off the rust though. It sets us up to potentially hit our true peak during March

Archived