have quite the ceiling with Purifoy

Dual-Threat Rigby

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I hope all you Purifoy boys aren't disappointed. 

This is basketball. Not football. We do not have to hope for anything. We KNOW eventually when he gets the rust knocked off he is going to be a big asset for us. Player development is one of the biggest positives for basketball. WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, gravejd said:

Where did he think he was going to be playing that he'd need the extra weight? Makes you wonder if Pearl was thinking of using him at the 4!?! Cole would loss his damn mind!! haha

But i'm glad he is getting in game shape. I don't expect to see him back and fully up to game speed before January....and i just hope he can get there before we get too deep into SEC play. 

EDIT: I'm not expecting a whole lot from Purifoy like a lot of others. I know we've heard good things but i'm always wary of hearsay. I'm sure he looks great in shoot arounds but i bet he looks like a guy who hasn't played ball in 2 years when he gets in the game for the first time. 

You called it

Just reading this thread.

So, where are we in Purifoy’s return?  Surprised at all?

I’m surprised that he has returned out of shape and out of sync as much as he is.  I get it will take some time to get back into playing sync with the team, but he has looked absolutely lost on the court.  Again, missed North Fla Game.  Heard his name mentioned a few times on radio.

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Just reading this thread.

So, where are we in Purifoy’s return?  Surprised at all?

I’m surprised that he has returned out of shape and out of sync as much as he is.  I get it will take some time to get back into playing sync with the team, but he has looked absolutely lost on the court.  Again, missed North Fla Game.  Heard his name mentioned a few times on radio.

he is not coming along as fast or as well as i thought he would....really looks lost on defense and to be honest, he looks unsure of himself....i was hoping that he would play a lot more than he did against NF

14 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

he is not coming along as fast or as well as i thought he would....really looks lost on defense and to be honest, he looks unsure of himself....i was hoping that he would play a lot more than he did against NF

JMO but showing up out of shape and over weight.....that's really a bad sign.    Hard to see him getting to  "play himself into shape" with so many good players on the team.  Can't see that he has earned his minutes even now....and who wants to lose their minutes on the floor to help DP try and fit into the scheme?  

How does he get that far out of shape and out of sync?

I have assumed that he has been working out with the team this whole time.

Is this his Jr year?

He had a partial qualifier year.  

RSFr year.

Does sitting out last year count against his eligibility? 

If so, he’s a junior.

22 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

You get out of sync easy, nobody can avoid that

To be honest the teamas a whole has way too much stuff to fix than to just insert DP and everybody focus on him. He's really not THAT bad....if you don't compare him to the unreal expectations. He came back the uab game and we didn't play well against any of the teams you'd think we would dominate besides the team last night who guards were horrible.....teams are driven by their ball handlers

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

You get out of sync easy, nobody can avoid that

I realize there is no time like game time, but i would have thought he would have had enough practice time to not appear that he is having to think and losing the flow of the game that much. 

I'm betting the lights come on soon.

4 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I realize there is no time like game time, but i would have thought he would have had enough practice time to not appear that he is having to think and losing the flow of the game that much. 

I'm betting the lights come on soon.

Well with this run of games he actually didn't have any practice time really from the uab game to the Murray state. They have a long break now. But I disagree he looked lost this last game, I was waiting for someone to explain why they felt that way. 

If we're honest the backcourt needs to stop shooting as much but during the game Pearl was ticked and clearly he made a point that they start going to the post. But if we're just going off of shot attempts to measure if he's engaged where was the attempts going to come from? It's hard enough for Wiley to get a shot attempt and they try to focus on him....we have many many possessions where it's one pass shoot. Okeke gets alot of his shots off of steals and rebounds. 

But you don't come in after sitting out almost two years and be back in 3 games.....which we didn't even play well enough for the bench to really play besides this last win. Last time he played Brown was a complement player to him, now Brown's the leading shot taker, things like that is a big adjustment

21 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Exactly.  After the exhibition game in which Purifoy played poorly, Pearl commented that he's "out of shape".  Hell, didn't Bruce know that BEFORE the game?  Something doesn't sound right about that.

I guess the silver lining may be that Purifoy comes back to AU next year.  Would he really want to go pro after having a year like this?

20 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Exactly.  After the exhibition game in which Purifoy played poorly, Pearl commented that he's "out of shape".  Hell, didn't Bruce know that BEFORE the game?  Something doesn't sound right about that.

I tried to find out but saw nothing that indicated DP was not allowed to practice with the team.  Had seen pictures of him in practice mode but not sure when they were taken.  But either way, seems he should have been motivated enough to work out independently of the team practices.    Hope he can work his way into playing shape somehow without pulling the team down in game situations.   

Guess I'm at the point that until I see him making a big contribution toward the success of the team, I'm not counting on him for anything.  We have some good players and very good depth ....enough to carry us through the season  IMO...with our without him.    Hoping everyone has shaken off the shooting funk that bothered them the past couple weeks....and that the shooters/scorers are the ones taking the 3 point shots.    Pretty much it's like a turnover for Spencer and AMac to take a 3.

Can't wait for the conference season to start. 

I saw improvement from Purifoy in the North FL game. Glad he was able to get a couple baskets. I think part of his problem is he is trying to hard. I'm sure he feels the clock ticking on his chance to keep playing bball. Sonny made the comment that he needs to get the ball a few times and not even try and score just to see if he can get into the flow of the game better. I think that was really good suggestion. Just work on playing good D and moving the ball around and let the baskets come to you. He got one on a break away layup so hopefully that will help him settle in

I don’t see anything from him that makes me think he’s going to play much this year. He’s not an option on offense and he doesn’t play defense with much intensity. I don’t know the whys to either of these things, I just see it that way. He might come in for a short spell or two in SEC play if AU has a 10+ point lead but it’s going to be short stints and very infrequently unless he makes great strides in the next month. 

30 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I don’t see anything from him that makes me think he’s going to play much this year. He’s not an option on offense and he doesn’t play defense with much intensity. I don’t know the whys to either of these things, I just see it that way. He might come in for a short spell or two in SEC play if AU has a 10+ point lead but it’s going to be short stints and very infrequently unless he makes great strides in the next month. 

if he is on course with his grades, i think he would be way ahead to be a role player this year, and come back next years with his ass on fire....this is straight from s. hooks, purifoy does not have a good work ethic and has to be pushed and prodded to improve himself....you've all seen guys like this,lovable,laid back and lazy

I don't know, I must admit I didn't focus to look at DP every play or anything since he's been back but I didn't see him look different than anybody else when he played. I wished somebody had film or referenced particular plays. I think we only have one maybe two exceptional defenders, I think we have a pretty good system with a bunch of quality guys and collectively we play great defense.

Offense of course he's going to be off but unless he forgot how to play basketball he's easily the most gifted scorer we have, but his game isn't just shoot 3's. He can actually create a shot. 

But his time on the floor hasn't been worse than the other guys 3 or 4 game cold spells they had....and they get playing time and shots, and aren't coming off a hiatus....if you didn't give up on them I don't think you should write off DP. If he played a bunch of minutes and forced up shots to where he attempted around 10-12 every game I'd bet he could average at least 10 points. I appreciate that he's being disciplined and not coming in forcing things

Interesting couple of posts.....fans have different views but of course,  what matters is how much time BP is willing to spend on him.  Even in some games that should have been easy for the Tigers,   DP did not get a great deal of playing time ...only 4 minutes and 8 minutes in the last two games.    As the games get more difficult, do we think his playing time will increase ?  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Interesting couple of posts.....fans have different views but of course,  what matters is how much time BP is willing to spend on him.  Even in some games that should have been easy for the Tigers,   DP did not get a great deal of playing time ...only 4 minutes and 8 minutes in the last two games.    As the games get more difficult, do we think his playing time will increase ?  

I don’t see how. If he can’t be trusted to play more in a blowout, how is he going to be trusted to play in a close SEC game?

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think it's pretty simple as he get better he'll play more. We are barely beating teams and our starters have things they need to work on. Nobody played less minutes or rested, it's not like he was trying to give out minutes but he said I can't trust you. Everybody played because they need to work on things. McCormick didn't play extra minutes than usual, Dunbar didn't either.

This was a legit game for us. There haven't been any other blow outs so you have to merge him in....but once again the only players on this team that has been steady is chumma and Harper and they both have had bad games too. I don't see the point of jumping on DP but saying everybody else is going to be fine lol. He's the one guy who has an excuse.

Samir and Brown went 3 games without hitting a shot with major minutes and shot attempts, but dp is supposed to put up incredible numbers in 6 minute increments? How does that make sense? 

And the game before that....did you see our guards trying to play defense on their guards?? It was like watching a big brother pick on little brother, we didn't need ANY experimenting that game

Just thinking that in that last game with North Florida or whoever, it would have been a good time for him to play some serious minutes and play himself in to better shape.  Guess BP has reasons  ...

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just thinking that in that last game with North Florida or whoever, it would have been a good time for him to play some serious minutes and play himself in to better shape.  Guess BP has reasons  ...

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if BP has "reasons" as well.  It seems to me that if BP was truly wanting DP to get back in playing shape and jell with the team, DP would have gotten a lot of minutes against North Florida.

I don't think we're quite as good as our record suggests, and I think that will become apparent on (or shortly thereafter) January 9th.  I think we're in for a grind that will make us better, but won't afford much time to play DP given that he wasn't deemed ready to play much against North Florida.

Archived