have quite the ceiling with Purifoy

Dual-Threat Rigby

TBH, I don't know much beyond the basic XO's of basketball.  And I was very naive about how difficult it would be for DP to get "back", even with his immense talent.  I was expecting too much too soon.  I realize that now. 

But I don't know how BP is gonna find playing time for DP at this point in the schedule.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just thinking that in that last game with North Florida or whoever, it would have been a good time for him to play some serious minutes and play himself in to better shape.  Guess BP has reasons  ...

We also had Brown who's shot had been kidnapped, Wiley still getting better slowly but surely every game. Trying to build on doughty who's game had been missing earlier. I think we are still trying to get where we can see the starters are clicking. That's why I mentioned NOBODY played extra minutes, there was none to give out.

After the Murray st game I know he wanted our guards to get their confidence back. I imagine he wants chumma to be more aggressive so you need him to play. Did you see how hard he was still coaching them? I think struggling through that little stretch was a monkey wrench in what he probably had planned. I don't know like I was there and seen with my own eyes but I do know now during this break is his first time he can really try to practice and address things. It's the first time DP will also have time to even practice and get some time with these guys. He hasn't even played with 3 of the starters before.....think about that, that's a big deal

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just thinking that in that last game with North Florida or whoever, it would have been a good time for him to play some serious minutes and play himself in to better shape.  Guess BP has reasons  ...

He was in towards the end of the game getting some work for a while before the walk-ons came on and he was out there for a little bit with them. Not sure how visible it was on TV, but he took a pretty hard ball to the family jewels when one of the UNF players was trying to get the ball in near the sidleline. Not a serious injury obviously, but he was down for a minute or so and then had to come out (to much friendly jeering from teammates as you might expect). At that point we were in full garbage time mode, so he didn’t get back in the game, but had that not happened I think he would have gotten more minutes than he did.

23 hours ago, doverstutts said:

if he is on course with his grades, i think he would be way ahead to be a role player this year, and come back next years with his ass on fire....this is straight from s. hooks, purifoy does not have a good work ethic and has to be pushed and prodded to improve himself....you've all seen guys like this,lovable,laid back and lazy

This would explain a lot I'm afraid.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, AUGoo said:

This would explain a lot I'm afraid.

This is also an unsubstantiated rumor. Take it as such. 

13 hours ago, jared52 said:

This is also an unsubstantiated rumor. Take it as such. 

no, it is not unsubstantiated....hooks is a bigtime booster and is at practice all of the time

41 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

no, it is not unsubstantiated....hooks is a bigtime booster and is at practice all of the time

He's been out of the game for so long I can imagine  he could develop slack habits if no one is there to prod him.   Even back when he was playing a couple years ago however, he ran hot and cold.. He's older now and even if he does not have much built in motor,  sure hope BP and the other coaches can help him step it up a notch.  The potential and athletic ability is there.....BP just needs to help him bring it out. 

Watching DP play this year vs when he was playing before is shocking.  Unfortunately, his play has not been even close to average and if he doesn’t improve quickly, his playing time may decrease. 

15 hours ago, doverstutts said:

It would still be his opinion though. 

13 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Watching DP play this year vs when he was playing before is shocking.  Unfortunately, his play has not been even close to average and if he doesn’t improve quickly, his playing time may decrease. 

His play actually has fit in with every starter on the team at one point or the other this season. 

The following is based on the assumption that DP was in fact out of shape:  If he was overweight AFTER the season started after a year + out of the game then I have concerns about his motivation and work ethic.  There is one caveat ... did CBP want him at the higher weight then change his mind after seeing the beginning of the season.

he was practicing with the team and played the exhibition game.  You’d think he’d have a chip on his shoulder and be as fit as possible, short of game fitness.

this is why I miss a guy like Murray. (And Herron). Played with that little something extra ... Barkley, porter, bowers ...

edit: spencer shows a bit of this as does Dunbar.  But I’d like to see a little more from the team and particularly some individuals.

edit #2: an article on AUC about the time I posted this ... doesn’t seem my view squares with CBP quotes.  I’ve stated I think CBP is as open as they come therefore it seems to refute my above opinion.

16 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

The following is based on the assumption that DP was in fact out of shape:  If he was overweight AFTER the season started after a year + out of the game then I have concerns about his motivation and work ethic.  There is one caveat ... did CBP want him at the higher weight then change his mind after seeing the beginning of the season.

he was practicing with the team and played the exhibition game.  You’d think he’d have a chip on his shoulder and be as fit as possible, short of game fitness.

this is why I miss a guy like Murray. (And Herron). Played with that little something extra ... Barkley, porter, bowers ...

edit: spencer shows a bit of this as does Dunbar.  But I’d like to see a little more from the team and particularly some individuals.

edit #2: an article on AUC about the time I posted this ... doesn’t seem my view squares with CBP quotes.  I’ve stated I think CBP is as open as they come therefore it seems to refute my above opinion.

You have a link to the article?

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Thanks. It mentioned what I thought about practice and rotation. I felt like I knew it but it helps when you see it confirmed. I don't know why people all the sudden started at him in the first place to be honest. 

On 1/5/2019 at 8:20 PM, mustache eagle said:

I was expecting it to look kinda like Wiley’s rise but I’m much less confident that he’ll crack the starting rotation this season unless injuries or an epiphany 

JMO but starting is not that important.... but meaningful playing time and meaningful contributions ...points and rebounds ....is probably the measure of success for him.

I really think we should've gotten Danjel acclimated because while I doubt Bruce is going to even adjust the offense dramatically, DP is one of the few guys who you could run the flow through when it needs to slow down. And throwing him to the fire in SEC play is gonna end up being bad for someone

Archived