Congrats to Bryce Brown

ShocksMyBrain

58 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You seem to be comfortable with how everything was last year, we didn't win last year though. But good talk. 

You guys are having a good discussion and maybe I misread something but I'm confused about this last bit. SEC Champs???

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You guys are having a good discussion and maybe I misread something but I'm confused about this last bit. SEC Champs???

We shared that and I'm still just thinking about the disappointment of going out early😂 Like I promise you I'm so serious when I say that's what I think about with this team and how I don't want that to happen

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We shared that and I'm still just thinking about the disappointment of going out early😂 Like I promise you I'm so serious when I say that's what I think about with this team and how I don't want that to happen

Don't you dare say we shared that title when we beat UT h2h on their own ugly checkered floor!!! 

Brown sure does get a lot of praise by all the analysts and game announcers about being a great defender. He may not be the kind of guy that can shut down the very best like Barret but he can definitely defend at a high level. And if we are still bringing up heron then I’ll throw out heron never gave us a 30+ game. I don’t know which guy will play professionally at what level but I’ll take brown on my team any day

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

AU was thin before Mac got hurt. Without Mac, they had 7 scholarship players. It took everything they had in the tank to finish as regular season champs. The tournaments were mostly about teams just adjusting to the lack of depth and AU running out of gas. I think the threat of an early exit only comes if AU gets a bad matchup. 

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Brown sure does get a lot of praise by all the analysts and game announcers about being a great defender. He may not be the kind of guy that can shut down the very best like Barret but he can definitely defend at a high level. And if we are still bringing up heron then I’ll throw out heron never gave us a 30+ game. I don’t know which guy will play professionally at what level but I’ll take brown on my team any day

I’ll take brown also.  Scotty pohlman style.  I love brown. But if I gotta choose brown v Herron, I’m going Herron.  I don’t recall if Herron gave us 30 but he gave us 16 and 6 every night, went to the basket and caused fouls could defend well enough and could dish the ball.  He had a few flaws but I loved his game.  His consistency was so so so solid.

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'm just showing what I look at, and I brought up Herron because that was a player that many of you are ok to critique, many are familiar with him so he's a great reference to compare.....and if you would take him that's fine. Not speaking against him. But while on the board it's Herron was a ball hog and didn't play defense if you actually look at the numbers Herron shoots a higher percentage (3 pointers as well) rebounds better and actually around the same amount of steals, but steals doesn't necessarily tell you the complete story on defense.

I completely see what Cole is saying.  For me, Brown's defense seems to be best the further away from the basket he is.  He is very good pressing and face guarding. His strength is disrupting and pestering as the ball is being brought up.  The closer he gets, when there is more congestion, he tends to lose leverage pretty often.  It'd be one thing if he could pull off the old Jordan move of letting the guy slip by just to block him from behind, but he doesn't. Once he's beaten around the corner I typically see him take one jab step towards the ball and blindly swipe before he bails out.

I'm not saying he can't do it. I just haven't seen the latteral quickness necessary to slide in front of and take away the angles. Harper does a really good job of that and that's why he gets so many changes called.

As far as bringing BB off the bench, I wouldn't mind trying it.  I'd love to be able to run out 2 lines with little to no drop off.  That would really help with our difficulties of maintaining focus and help keep and build on our leads rather than yo-yoing throughout the games.  We need another scorer with that 2nd group. As is, it's just Dunbar.  BB could be our Manu.

Brown is about 6' tall so he is definitely a better defender away from the basket. I think his pressing Defense is a big cause of the problem you guys are pointing out. He is pressing the ball handler so closely that he leaves himself more open to getting passed by if they are able to get around him at all. Its a high risk high reward style of defense to be sure. His role in our Defense is to take the PG out of his game and disrupt the other team from getting into their offensive sets. Unfortunately some of the great PGs like Barret at Duke are extremely hard to disrupt. I wonder if Pearl will ask Brown to lag off a but in the future when we see the pressure has become more of a liability than and asset like it was in the Duke game? 

I still think Brown is the best parameter defender we have on the team. Doughty could be in that discussion as well. But i think he is better at getting in passing lanes kind of like Harper. Not sure on that but i figure if he was a better on ball defender then Pearl would have him pressuring the ball handler. My guess is he doesn't quite have the quicks to do it. And Harper gets in foul trouble when he is on the ball and we can't have that with our current backup PG situation

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Brown is about 6' tall so he is definitely a better defender away from the basket. I think his pressing Defense is a big cause of the problem you guys are pointing out. He is pressing the ball handler so closely that he leaves himself more open to getting passed by if they are able to get around him at all. Its a high risk high reward style of defense to be sure. His role in our Defense is to take the PG out of his game and disrupt the other team from getting into their offensive sets. Unfortunately some of the great PGs like Barret at Duke are extremely hard to disrupt. I wonder if Pearl will ask Brown to lag off a but in the future when we see the pressure has become more of a liability than and asset like it was in the Duke game? 

I still think Brown is the best parameter defender we have on the team. Doughty could be in that discussion as well. But i think he is better at getting in passing lanes kind of like Harper. Not sure on that but i figure if he was a better on ball defender then Pearl would have him pressuring the ball handler. My guess is he doesn't quite have the quicks to do it. And Harper gets in foul trouble when he is on the ball and we can't have that with our current backup PG situation

That's a great point as far as Harper can'tbe afforded to get in foul trouble. Brown is about 6'3". We'll really see during the season, Alabama, LSU, miss st, have some good guards, Murray state has an elite one. That will tell you if he's a top of the country defender.  I'm pretty sure he's the best PERIMETER defender on the team. It's either him or Dunbar

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

I completely see what Cole is saying.  For me, Brown's defense seems to be best the further away from the basket he is.  He is very good pressing and face guarding. His strength is disrupting and pestering as the ball is being brought up.  The closer he gets, when there is more congestion, he tends to lose leverage pretty often.  It'd be one thing if he could pull off the old Jordan move of letting the guy slip by just to block him from behind, but he doesn't. Once he's beaten around the corner I typically see him take one jab step towards the ball and blindly swipe before he bails out.

I'm not saying he can't do it. I just haven't seen the latteral quickness necessary to slide in front of and take away the angles. Harper does a really good job of that and that's why he gets so many changes called.

As far as bringing BB off the bench, I wouldn't mind trying it.  I'd love to be able to run out 2 lines with little to no drop off.  That would really help with our difficulties of maintaining focus and help keep and build on our leads rather than yo-yoing throughout the games.  We need another scorer with that 2nd group. As is, it's just Dunbar.  BB could be our Manu.

I noticed at the end of the Xavier game pearl put Harper on their PG and he didn't get in the lane and that's when we pulled away. Very small sample size but it's something I'm watching now

On 12/10/2018 at 3:42 PM, cole256 said:

My point is just the same as offense, if he gets leeway like the green light to shoot whenever he wants then on defense is more about running than actually having to be disciplined then just like I can see he's a pretty good shooter but I know it's the system more than anything; no I'm not going to say he's an great defender. I'll say he's good if for nothing else being out there and being fairly accurate shooting when that can really weigh on you. I'll change when I see him play a guy who's a known scorer and he really makes them work.

I didn't watch every game last year but I watched the big ones and I didn't see that. I haven't seen it this year either. When we play Murray st he should have to guard Morant and we can see if he's what many of you say. 

You guys not looking at how he has a Mac behind him. This year he has him and Wiley. That erases alot of mistakes when they're smart. If they're not you have the Xavier and Duke game. He had Murray and Herron last year to do heavy lifting.....and some of you have the audacity to say Brown is the on the top of SEC and Herron wasn't good at it. When Herron was the one playing guys completely out of position. Now he doesn't have that. He have to guard that 6'6" guy now for duke. And I'll give may be the best perimeter defender but on the team? That's a slap in A Mac's face. We couldn't hardly function when he was hurt. 

The thing as far as turnovers I see them now but we need to wait and see in conference play, the Duke PG didn't have any trouble at all.

Last thing I see what you say as far as Brown not a come off the bench take 7 shot guy. He is that type of guy but he seems to heat up as the game goes as opposed to instant offense. So you're probably right with that, but I will say just because he excel in one role doesn't mean he wouldn't excel and be even greater in another. Coaches play favorites all the time. I wouldn't think of sitting Brown but I would do something with the 3.

You seem to be comfortable with how everything was last year, we didn't win last year though. But good talk. 

I was good with how everything was last year, right up until McLemore got hurt. Our defensive style became to create chaos and protect the rim. When we lost our rim protector the whole system collapsed as you said. Barring injury this year, I like the way things are headed. 

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I was good with how everything was last year, right up until McLemore got hurt. Our defensive style became to create chaos and protect the rim. When we lost our rim protector the whole system collapsed as you said. Barring injury this year, I like the way things are headed. 

Yes I see that. The thing about it though people get better, and get better at different rates. Things that work last year may or may not work this year and maybe that's why Mitchell transferred he may have known he was plugged in a certain role where he was thinking no I'm better than that. Idk but I'm just thinking. I'm a strong believer in every year you have to fight for your job. No promises. I want say it doesn't matter what you've done in previous years but I would say it's possible that somebody can play for a chance. 

There was one particular play where Brown didn't even have to offer a full pump fake just a hesitation that caused his defender to fly right pass him he then took one or two dribbles caused another guy to run towards him and Brown then threw the oop to Wiley.....it was maybe the best basketball play I've ever seen him make. It's literally what could make us a championship team in my eyes. I was super happy to see him do this as it shows he can see it. I just hope it comes out more as we continue to get better. If he can improve on seeing things like that he could be close to the most important player on making this thing go. Unfortunately with our current situation with PG depth I think Harper is always the most important player. 

Look for teams to start attacking him and force him to have to ease up on defense or sacrifice his minutes during the game.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:10 PM, cole256 said:

Yes I see that. The thing about it though people get better, and get better at different rates. Things that work last year may or may not work this year and maybe that's why Mitchell transferred he may have known he was plugged in a certain role where he was thinking no I'm better than that. Idk but I'm just thinking. I'm a strong believer in every year you have to fight for your job. No promises. I want say it doesn't matter what you've done in previous years but I would say it's possible that somebody can play for a chance. 

You are probably right about Mitchell and I didn't want to see him go. Just didn't see anything that made me think he would take giant leap forward. I also fully agree that every year you have to fight for your job, the best should play. 

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

There was one particular play where Brown didn't even have to offer a full pump fake just a hesitation that caused his defender to fly right pass him he then took one or two dribbles caused another guy to run towards him and Brown then threw the oop to Wiley.....it was maybe the best basketball play I've ever seen him make. It's literally what could make us a championship team in my eyes. I was super happy to see him do this as it shows he can see it. I just hope it comes out more as we continue to get better. If he can improve on seeing things like that he could be close to the most important player on making this thing go. Unfortunately with our current situation with PG depth I think Harper is always the most important player. 

Look for teams to start attacking him and force him to have to ease up on defense or sacrifice his minutes during the game.

I agree that teams will target Harper, they did it late in the season some last year and he struggled at times. I would like to think he is experienced enough to handle it now. We obviously need some depth at PG, CBP is clearly worried about it to be giving Doughty time at the 1.

i do think that doughty can do an adequet job at the point as long as he has mccormick in the game to bail him out in the press situations....doughty is a good passer and clearly understands the offense....i hope this happens tonight,unless the game is sticky

Archived