Sign in to follow this  
ShocksMyBrain

Congrats to Bryce Brown

58 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You seem to be comfortable with how everything was last year, we didn't win last year though. But good talk. 

You guys are having a good discussion and maybe I misread something but I'm confused about this last bit. SEC Champs???

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You guys are having a good discussion and maybe I misread something but I'm confused about this last bit. SEC Champs???

We shared that and I'm still just thinking about the disappointment of going out early😂 Like I promise you I'm so serious when I say that's what I think about with this team and how I don't want that to happen

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We shared that and I'm still just thinking about the disappointment of going out early😂 Like I promise you I'm so serious when I say that's what I think about with this team and how I don't want that to happen

Don't you dare say we shared that title when we beat UT h2h on their own ugly checkered floor!!! 

Brown sure does get a lot of praise by all the analysts and game announcers about being a great defender. He may not be the kind of guy that can shut down the very best like Barret but he can definitely defend at a high level. And if we are still bringing up heron then I’ll throw out heron never gave us a 30+ game. I don’t know which guy will play professionally at what level but I’ll take brown on my team any day

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

AU was thin before Mac got hurt. Without Mac, they had 7 scholarship players. It took everything they had in the tank to finish as regular season champs. The tournaments were mostly about teams just adjusting to the lack of depth and AU running out of gas. I think the threat of an early exit only comes if AU gets a bad matchup. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Brown sure does get a lot of praise by all the analysts and game announcers about being a great defender. He may not be the kind of guy that can shut down the very best like Barret but he can definitely defend at a high level. And if we are still bringing up heron then I’ll throw out heron never gave us a 30+ game. I don’t know which guy will play professionally at what level but I’ll take brown on my team any day

I’ll take brown also.  Scotty pohlman style.  I love brown. But if I gotta choose brown v Herron, I’m going Herron.  I don’t recall if Herron gave us 30 but he gave us 16 and 6 every night, went to the basket and caused fouls could defend well enough and could dish the ball.  He had a few flaws but I loved his game.  His consistency was so so so solid.

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'm just showing what I look at, and I brought up Herron because that was a player that many of you are ok to critique, many are familiar with him so he's a great reference to compare.....and if you would take him that's fine. Not speaking against him. But while on the board it's Herron was a ball hog and didn't play defense if you actually look at the numbers Herron shoots a higher percentage (3 pointers as well) rebounds better and actually around the same amount of steals, but steals doesn't necessarily tell you the complete story on defense.

I completely see what Cole is saying.  For me, Brown's defense seems to be best the further away from the basket he is.  He is very good pressing and face guarding. His strength is disrupting and pestering as the ball is being brought up.  The closer he gets, when there is more congestion, he tends to lose leverage pretty often.  It'd be one thing if he could pull off the old Jordan move of letting the guy slip by just to block him from behind, but he doesn't. Once he's beaten around the corner I typically see him take one jab step towards the ball and blindly swipe before he bails out.

I'm not saying he can't do it. I just haven't seen the latteral quickness necessary to slide in front of and take away the angles. Harper does a really good job of that and that's why he gets so many changes called.

As far as bringing BB off the bench, I wouldn't mind trying it.  I'd love to be able to run out 2 lines with little to no drop off.  That would really help with our difficulties of maintaining focus and help keep and build on our leads rather than yo-yoing throughout the games.  We need another scorer with that 2nd group. As is, it's just Dunbar.  BB could be our Manu.

• Like 2

Brown is about 6' tall so he is definitely a better defender away from the basket. I think his pressing Defense is a big cause of the problem you guys are pointing out. He is pressing the ball handler so closely that he leaves himself more open to getting passed by if they are able to get around him at all. Its a high risk high reward style of defense to be sure. His role in our Defense is to take the PG out of his game and disrupt the other team from getting into their offensive sets. Unfortunately some of the great PGs like Barret at Duke are extremely hard to disrupt. I wonder if Pearl will ask Brown to lag off a but in the future when we see the pressure has become more of a liability than and asset like it was in the Duke game? 

I still think Brown is the best parameter defender we have on the team. Doughty could be in that discussion as well. But i think he is better at getting in passing lanes kind of like Harper. Not sure on that but i figure if he was a better on ball defender then Pearl would have him pressuring the ball handler. My guess is he doesn't quite have the quicks to do it. And Harper gets in foul trouble when he is on the ball and we can't have that with our current backup PG situation

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Brown is about 6' tall so he is definitely a better defender away from the basket. I think his pressing Defense is a big cause of the problem you guys are pointing out. He is pressing the ball handler so closely that he leaves himself more open to getting passed by if they are able to get around him at all. Its a high risk high reward style of defense to be sure. His role in our Defense is to take the PG out of his game and disrupt the other team from getting into their offensive sets. Unfortunately some of the great PGs like Barret at Duke are extremely hard to disrupt. I wonder if Pearl will ask Brown to lag off a but in the future when we see the pressure has become more of a liability than and asset like it was in the Duke game? 

I still think Brown is the best parameter defender we have on the team. Doughty could be in that discussion as well. But i think he is better at getting in passing lanes kind of like Harper. Not sure on that but i figure if he was a better on ball defender then Pearl would have him pressuring the ball handler. My guess is he doesn't quite have the quicks to do it. And Harper gets in foul trouble when he is on the ball and we can't have that with our current backup PG situation

That's a great point as far as Harper can'tbe afforded to get in foul trouble. Brown is about 6'3". We'll really see during the season, Alabama, LSU, miss st, have some good guards, Murray state has an elite one. That will tell you if he's a top of the country defender.  I'm pretty sure he's the best PERIMETER defender on the team. It's either him or Dunbar

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

I completely see what Cole is saying.  For me, Brown's defense seems to be best the further away from the basket he is.  He is very good pressing and face guarding. His strength is disrupting and pestering as the ball is being brought up.  The closer he gets, when there is more congestion, he tends to lose leverage pretty often.  It'd be one thing if he could pull off the old Jordan move of letting the guy slip by just to block him from behind, but he doesn't. Once he's beaten around the corner I typically see him take one jab step towards the ball and blindly swipe before he bails out.

I'm not saying he can't do it. I just haven't seen the latteral quickness necessary to slide in front of and take away the angles. Harper does a really good job of that and that's why he gets so many changes called.

As far as bringing BB off the bench, I wouldn't mind trying it.  I'd love to be able to run out 2 lines with little to no drop off.  That would really help with our difficulties of maintaining focus and help keep and build on our leads rather than yo-yoing throughout the games.  We need another scorer with that 2nd group. As is, it's just Dunbar.  BB could be our Manu.

I noticed at the end of the Xavier game pearl put Harper on their PG and he didn't get in the lane and that's when we pulled away. Very small sample size but it's something I'm watching now

• Like 2