Congrats to Bryce Brown

ShocksMyBrain

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

These last few posts are hilarious

one intellectually challenged individual downvoted me because i didn't want BB to dribble the ball.....i wonder if this person that did that is fascinated by BB's ball handling skills?....sane basketball affectionadoes are not thrilled by them

I hate that Bryce is becoming somewhat of a "controversial" (might be too harsh of a word) figure. He doesn't deserve that to be quite honest, especially as a senior.

He has strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else. He is the basketball forum equivalent of Sean White now and he's significantly better in AU's basketball world than Sean White was in AU's football world. Bryce is likely going to end up on an All-SEC team this season.

For the record Bryce should never really be dribbling or making any decisions in transition. Even when he drives to the bucket he isn't really under control and seems surprised when a defender is in between him and the bucket and he just does not view the floor in the way that makes him a threat to consistently make the right play while attacking the rack.

Also, like some players, when Bryce is having an off day he looks really bad on O. Typically this is the case with shooters. But his defense keeps him on the floor. That, and he can heat up at any moment and drop 25 on any team that we face. He's also a really good college defender for someone with limited size/wingspan. Bruce doesn't resort to coach speak he always tells it like it is. If Bryce was a poor defender he would say he needs to work on it in the media rather than hyping him up. No, he's not Kawhi Leonard but he's integral to our success at both ends of the floor. Particularly because Harper is not a plus defender and his size also hurts us a little just because he can't cover as much ground as other guards, so we need Bryce's defense in the backcourt.

5 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

hold it, man....this is just jivin'...he is not "controversial"...relax, it funnin'

I know, I know...."Controversial" was too harsh of a word as I noted I just couldn't think of a better word in the moment lol. Just weird to me that one of our best players is in the middle of his weaknesses being consistently pointed out vs his strengths being overly lauded. Your comment about the love letters was pretty funny though lol

Or maybe he's just caught in the Cole vs Gene crosshairs lol.

I don't know. I like Bryce and what he does for us. Just not as much as Gene and I'm not as down on Bryce as Cole is either lol.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I hate that Bryce is becoming somewhat of a "controversial" (might be too harsh of a word) figure. He doesn't deserve that to be quite honest, especially as a senior.

He has strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else. He is the basketball forum equivalent of Sean White now and he's significantly better in AU's basketball world than Sean White was in AU's football world. Bryce is likely going to end up on an All-SEC team this season.

For the record Bryce should never really be dribbling or making any decisions in transition. Even when he drives to the bucket he isn't really under control and seems surprised when a defender is in between him and the bucket and he just does not view the floor in the way that makes him a threat to consistently make the right play while attacking the rack.

Also, like some players, when Bryce is having an off day he looks really bad on O. Typically this is the case with shooters. But his defense keeps him on the floor. That, and he can heat up at any moment and drop 25 on any team that we face. He's also a really good college defender for someone with limited size/wingspan. Bruce doesn't resort to coach speak he always tells it like it is. If Bryce was a poor defender he would say he needs to work on it in the media rather than hyping him up. No, he's not Kawhi Leonard but he's integral to our success at both ends of the floor. Particularly because Harper is not a plus defender and his size also hurts us a little just because he can't cover as much ground as other guards, so we need Bryce's defense in the backcourt.

Wow you got all in your feelings huh? I really don't see the big deal, we are the same except we sit on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as this particular player. For whatever reason you seem to like him alot. You don't see me making posts saying you are all in love with him and stuff, I don't see why make a post like he's some tragic figure that I'm unfairly down on.

If you think about it what have I said that can even be debated? The closest is the super good defender claims that he gets. Besides that there's nothing that I have said about this guy that isn't a fact. 

I said he needs to work on his game and add something besides shooting 3's. Am I wrong? Look at this last game for example. Look at our loss in the NCAA tournament last year. If he's not hitting he's not helping the offense in any other way right now. Am I wrong? Is that unfair?

Seems like you even say yourself he needs a better handle on the ball and better decision making. Sort of goes to what I just said but having a better handle helps with all that. Helps with creating shots for yourself. 

I said he'd more of a volume shooter than accurate shooter. Just look at the numbers. Look how he only had 3 more 3's as compared to 16 more attempts to Harper. Look at his rank in the ENTIRE country with attempts. Look at the record with his numbers as compared to Wesley Person's numbers. Shouldn't be an argument there

Lastly the defense thing. We watched the same games....I haven't seen him have a great defensive game against any of the quality teams we've played yet. The Xavier guy he couldn't stay in front of to save his life. Duke game he was so physically overmatched I didn't even hold it against him. Didn't write any negative thinks at all about him not being able to guard Barrett or reddish. But no I'm not agreeing with he's some all SEC defender until I see him do it against a good player. Last year sexton ate him up and they are the same size. 

And Pearl is a player's coach. He doesn't do what you mentioned he'd do if his defense was bad. At most he'll say we need to do this. If it's bad he'll say the guards need to work on this or that. He ABSOLUTELY does coach speak. All the time. If we're good at something he's going to play it up and market it because it helps the players, school, and the team. He's great at it. He's never just been negative to a guy individually, at least not to the media.

That's it. What do I say about him that's not right? I assume you were in your feelings because of the way he played last night...I didn't make one post about it. The clown that keeps posting you guys are the people that make it some me vs him stuff. He writes stuff that's not true and if it doesn't make sense I say it doesn't and point out why. That's it.

I don't think it's fair how you label me. At least if you label me, label yourself. If I was to say Brown sucks and he shouldn't even be on this team and you wrote me back saying that's ridiculous and posted stats that shows clearly he offers something to the team I don't expect that you think you should be labeled you're a Brown stan....I don't think I should be labeled on the opposite end of the spectrum. It's not like I'm bashing the dude. A few posts up dude wrote that Brown has been better DRIVING the ball, getting by the defender and making good decisions.......when? Where? But if I'm the one that ask the question because that's not true something is wrong? Nah.

But don't take this wrong. You're my dawg if I didn't like you I wouldn't have wasted my time with this post, but don't be like these other people that runs and dislikes posts because I don't say what they want, and don't make me a joke with that clown. Don't give these people ammo

the one thing about this discussion that has been clarifying to me ... the stats from Wesley person!  He didn't get his due.  That dude had impressive stats over his Auburn career.  

CBP really likes Brown.  He also seems to think really better of doughty over dunbar.  maybe its because of dunbars energy off the bench?  If that was the case then the same could be made for Mac off the bench and Wiley starting.  I'd love to know why CBP is playing the rotation he is.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Wow you got all in your feelings huh? I really don't see the big deal, we are the same except we sit on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as this particular player. For whatever reason you seem to like him alot. You don't see me making posts saying you are all in love with him and stuff, I don't see why make a post like he's some tragic figure that I'm unfairly down on.

I actually think we are closer to seeing eye-to-eye on this than you think. I'm somewhere in the middle between Gene and yourself. I get it looks like I like him a lot because I do defend him -- but that's really where it stops, I'm not a Brown stan like Gene. To me, I feel when Gene talks up Bryce it's valid to bring his weaknesses up because Gene is going above and beyond at times.. . And maybe I am in my feelings I'll admit that, but I try to make sure to touch on both negatives and positives when it comes to all of our players. Gene ignores his negatives and I haven't seen you touch on what Bryce does well much (I may have missed it). I watch football significantly more objectively than I do Auburn basketball right now, and I'm working on that because I've actually never been an emotional sports fan ever but I get so amped for our bball games it's comparable to when I was getting ready for my own games LOL (weird old man alert). Mainly because I have been waiting my entire life to have a program at this level and Bryce being part of Bruce's first class kind of makes me feel some sort of way when he's the center of back and forth considering he's a key cog for us. I will freely admit that. 

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If you think about it what have I said that can even be debated? The closest is the super good defender claims that he gets. Besides that there's nothing that I have said about this guy that isn't a fact. 

I said he needs to work on his game and add something besides shooting 3's. Am I wrong? Look at this last game for example. Look at our loss in the NCAA tournament last year. If he's not hitting he's not helping the offense in any other way right now. Am I wrong? Is that unfair?

No you're right, when he's not hitting he's not helping us on O. As you touched on, I've said it multiple times he does not need to be dribbling or making any decisions a ball handler should be making. He is a spot up shooter and we're not taking advantage of running him off of staggers or anything like that to get him open, in rhythm 3s and he resorts to dribbling in place, sizing up, then launching -- sometimes at the expense of giving up an open look for himself.

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I said he'd more of a volume shooter than accurate shooter. Just look at the numbers. Look how he only had 3 more 3's as compared to 16 more attempts to Harper. Look at his rank in the ENTIRE country with attempts. Look at the record with his numbers as compared to Wesley Person's numbers. Shouldn't be an argument there

He's for sure a volume shooter and always has been. He also had the luxury of having playing in the green light system that is Bruce's which helped him get the record.

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lastly the defense thing. We watched the same games....I haven't seen him have a great defensive game against any of the quality teams we've played yet. The Xavier guy he couldn't stay in front of to save his life. Duke game he was so physically overmatched I didn't even hold it against him. Didn't write any negative thinks at all about him not being able to guard Barrett or reddish. But no I'm not agreeing with he's some all SEC defender until I see him do it against a good player. Last year sexton ate him up and they are the same size. 

And Pearl is a player's coach. He doesn't do what you mentioned he'd do if his defense was bad. At most he'll say we need to do this. If it's bad he'll say the guards need to work on this or that. He ABSOLUTELY does coach speak. All the time. If we're good at something he's going to play it up and market it because it helps the players, school, and the team. He's great at it. He's never just been negative to a guy individually, at least not to the media.

Like I said, he's not Kawhi but Bryce is always going to get the toughest perimeter matchup for us. Yeah the Xavier game wasn't great, and Duke as you said he was guarding NBA lottery locks, and of course Sexton was a lottery pick. But he did fairly well against Shai Gilgeous-Alexander the prior year and he wasn't 100% with a massive size difference. But I mean Bryce is a Euro player at best and I don't expect him to shut these future NBA stars down. Either way Bruce puts him on the best guard on the other team. That means something at least. SEC DPOY? Nah, but he can still guard out there and is our best. So I'll give him some props there.

I disagree with this part about coach speak, I think he's refreshingly honest for a coach to the media. Particularly to Rod and Sonny in post-game interviews. I'm sure he's not 1000000% honest but compared to other coaches I think we get more honesty out of him. He was pretty honest about our defense during Jared/Mustapha/Danjel's freshman season. Or how out of control Cinmeon Bowers could be, etc. I mean he's not killing these kids in the media but he's definitely letting it known when they're not meeting his expectations in a certain aspect.

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think it's fair how you label me. At least if you label me, label yourself. If I was to say Brown sucks and he shouldn't even be on this team and you wrote me back saying that's ridiculous and posted stats that shows clearly he offers something to the team I don't expect that you think you should be labeled you're a Brown stan....I don't think I should be labeled on the opposite end of the spectrum. It's not like I'm bashing the dude. A few posts up dude wrote that Brown has been better DRIVING the ball, getting by the defender and making good decisions.......when? Where? But if I'm the one that ask the question because that's not true something is wrong? Nah.

To be honest, I wasn't labeling you as a Bryce hater and have never thought of you as any sort of hater. I was just saying I'm not as high on Bryce as Gene is and not as down on him as you are. I think it's safe to say you're not a fan of his game which is totally fine -- volume shooters can be a polarizing issue because their lows are maddeningly low, also with less than ideal shot selection it can be frustrating. I think that's fair, never said you were a hater or unfairly down on Brown or a hater-- at least it was not my intention. Just stating the 2 sides of the spectrum and how I'm more in the middle. I guess my post was more in reaction to the volume of posts that are pro-Bryce that are weirdly meant to rile you, in particular, up in an attempt to get start a debate regarding Bryce's + vs -'s. And after reading it again, the meat of my post is actually rehashing Bryce's weaknesses more than saying LEAVE BRYCE ALONE lol. I agree with most of your points of contention with Brown's game as I've said before, and I am critical of Bryce in game threads for the reasons we have discussed.

I get through all of this it makes it look like Bryce may be my favorite player or something, but that's not the case. I hold my breath whenever he dribbles. I find myself saying "Ugh what a terrible shot" multiple times per game with him even when his shots go in. It's very frustrating, but I'll be damned if I don't admit I am all smiles when he's on and stroking it from deep.

My intention was not to say you were unfairly down on him at all, although I can see how you thought that since Gene is unfairly high on him and my statement referenced both of you.

And no doubt my man, it's all love! You already know it's only respect. Hopefully my post makes sense been a tough week for me personally so I may be meandering in my post. It also won't be the first time this week I may have misread the vibe of a post and reacted in the moment

33 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I actually think we are closer to seeing eye-to-eye on this than you think. I'm somewhere in the middle between Gene and yourself. I get it looks like I like him a lot because I do defend him -- but that's really where it stops, I'm not a Brown stan like Gene. To me, I feel when Gene talks up Bryce it's valid to bring his weaknesses up because Gene is going above and beyond at times.. . And maybe I am in my feelings I'll admit that, but I try to make sure to touch on both negatives and positives when it comes to all of our players. Gene ignores his negatives and I haven't seen you touch on what Bryce does well much (I may have missed it). I watch football significantly more objectively than I do Auburn basketball right now, and I'm working on that because I've actually never been an emotional sports fan ever but I get so amped for our bball games it's comparable to when I was getting ready for my own games LOL (weird old man alert). Mainly because I have been waiting my entire life to have a program at this level and Bryce being part of Bruce's first class kind of makes me feel some sort of way when he's the center of back and forth considering he's a key cog for us. I will freely admit that. 

No you're right, when he's not hitting he's not helping us on O. As you touched on, I've said it multiple times he does not need to be dribbling or making any decisions a ball handler should be making. He is a spot up shooter and we're not taking advantage of running him off of staggers or anything like that to get him open, in rhythm 3s and he resorts to dribbling in place, sizing up, then launching -- sometimes at the expense of giving up an open look for himself.

He's for sure a volume shooter and always has been. He also had the luxury of having playing in the green light system that is Bruce's which helped him get the record.

Like I said, he's not Kawhi but Bryce is always going to get the toughest perimeter matchup for us. Yeah the Xavier game wasn't great, and Duke as you said he was guarding NBA lottery locks, and of course Sexton was a lottery pick. But he did fairly well against Shai Gilgeous-Alexander the prior year and he wasn't 100% with a massive size difference. But I mean Bryce is a Euro player at best and I don't expect him to shut these future NBA stars down. Either way Bruce puts him on the best guard on the other team. That means something at least. SEC DPOY? Nah, but he can still guard out there and is our best. So I'll give him some props there.

I disagree with this part about coach speak, I think he's refreshingly honest for a coach to the media. Particularly to Rod and Sonny in post-game interviews. I'm sure he's not 1000000% honest but compared to other coaches I think we get more honesty out of him. He was pretty honest about our defense during Jared/Mustapha/Danjel's freshman season. Or how out of control Cinmeon Bowers could be, etc. I mean he's not killing these kids in the media but he's definitely letting it known when they're not meeting his expectations in a certain aspect.

To be honest, I wasn't labeling you as a Bryce hater and have never thought of you as any sort of hater. I was just saying I'm not as high on Bryce as Gene is and not as down on him as you are. I think it's safe to say you're not a fan of his game which is totally fine -- volume shooters can be a polarizing issue because their lows are maddeningly low, also with less than ideal shot selection it can be frustrating. I think that's fair, never said you were a hater or unfairly down on Brown or a hater-- at least it was not my intention. Just stating the 2 sides of the spectrum and how I'm more in the middle. I guess my post was more in reaction to the volume of posts that are pro-Bryce that are weirdly meant to rile you, in particular, up in an attempt to get start a debate regarding Bryce's + vs -'s. And after reading it again, the meat of my post is actually rehashing Bryce's weaknesses more than saying LEAVE BRYCE ALONE lol. I agree with most of your points of contention with Brown's game as I've said before, and I am critical of Bryce in game threads for the reasons we have discussed.

I get through all of this it makes it look like Bryce may be my favorite player or something, but that's not the case. I hold my breath whenever he dribbles. I find myself saying "Ugh what a terrible shot" multiple times per game with him even when his shots go in. It's very frustrating, but I'll be damned if I don't admit I am all smiles when he's on and stroking it from deep.

My intention was not to say you were unfairly down on him at all, although I can see how you thought that since Gene is unfairly high on him and my statement referenced both of you.

And no doubt my man, it's all love! You already know it's only respect. Hopefully my post makes sense been a tough week for me personally so I may be meandering in my post. It also won't be the first time this week I may have misread the vibe of a post and reacted in the moment

Yeah man I feel you. And you brought up something that I guess I don't do. I really don't talk about his positives. I don't think I have for anybody but chumma and Dunbar and I certainly should be able to. Nobody just want to read negative stuff especially when we actually have a good team. I'll work on that. I just wanted to explain to you and didn't want to get anything mixed up.  Like I said even after last game performance I didn't come on here and post well look at this.....and blah blah blah and start a back and forth. I really hate that my name even gets paired up with that dude.

I just know how some people are on here and they will take stuff that you wrote and run with it, I already see proud tiger came sniffing around my posts and disliking stuff or whatever and you know Dover will come on here and say something crazy and if you don't agree with it he'll hunt down all my posts and have some reactions or something to say because his feelings are hurt then next thing you know it's a snowball effect or whatever. But yeah man good talk and hope everything is ok on your end. 

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah man I feel you. And you brought up something that I guess I don't do. I really don't talk about his positives. I don't think I have for anybody but chumma and Dunbar and I certainly should be able to. Nobody just want to read negative stuff especially when we actually have a good team. I'll work on that. I just wanted to explain to you and didn't want to get anything mixed up.  Like I said even after last game performance I didn't come on here and post well look at this.....and blah blah blah and start a back and forth. I really hate that my name even gets paired up with that dude.

I just know how some people are on here and they will take stuff that you wrote and run with it, I already see proud tiger came sniffing around my posts and disliking stuff or whatever and you know Dover will come on here and say something crazy and if you don't agree with it he'll hunt down all my posts and have some reactions or something to say because his feelings are hurt then next thing you know it's a snowball effect or whatever. But yeah man good talk and hope everything is ok on your end. 

Bro I totally get it. In my experience, people who have played competitive sports view the games a little differently and the negatives always stick out because in film sessions, you rarely are going over what you did well you're just focused in on all the stuff that needs to be corrected. At least that's how I remember it LOL. And it's hard to let go of that as that's how you've been programmed to extent. Not you, per se, just speaking in general...or maybe I'm projecting lol.

For some reason my heart is having a harder time letting my brain do all the driving when it comes to AU hoops. And I am not a big "fanboy" type of guy so this is a struggle for me LOL. But I'm also seeing the value of being so joyous after wins because as we all know. It's been a loooooooooonnnggggg road to get here. I know I didn't think I'd ever see an AU team firmly placed in the top 10.

*And, thanks man. I'll be fine just dealing with some unknown health issues and the trial/error medication process SUCKS.

20 hours ago, doverstutts said:

one intellectually challenged individual downvoted me because i didn't want BB to dribble the ball.....i wonder if this person that did that is fascinated by BB's ball handling skills?....sane basketball affectionadoes are not thrilled by them

The intellectually challenged individual down voted you cause it was a lame post. Had nothing to do with BB. 

He down voted the next one cause he was insulted in that post. 

He'll continue to down vote and call out lame posts so don't be surprised 

He also kinda likes talking in the 3rd person and he may continue to do so.  

2 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Kind of an off night for our best player last night. But the great thing about him is that when his shots aren’t falling he still plays stifling defense. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

... I think he's refreshingly honest for a coach to the media. Particularly to Rod and Sonny in post-game interviews. I'm sure he's not 1000000% honest but compared to other coaches I think we get more honesty out of him. He was pretty honest about our defense during Jared/Mustapha/Danjel's freshman season. Or how out of control Cinmeon Bowers could be, etc. I mean he's not killing these kids in the media but he's definitely letting it known when they're not meeting his expectations in a certain aspect.

There is a bunch of things to like about CBP.  This is one of my favorite.  His post game interviews with the Auburn radio guys are typically very honest and open.  He doesn't unnecessarily pound his players but will call it honestly.  He will praise them highly.  This is one of the first things that made me vehemently defend Cinmeon a few years back.  Bowers would get some grief from auburn fans, but he was doing exactly what CBP asked him to do (... well almost exactly, with a few bone-head plays mixed in).

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Bro I totally get it. In my experience, people who have played competitive sports view the games a little differently and the negatives always stick out because in film sessions, you rarely are going over what you did well you're just focused in on all the stuff that needs to be corrected. At least that's how I remember it LOL. And it's hard to let go of that as that's how you've been programmed to extent. Not you, per se, just speaking in general...or maybe I'm projecting lol.

For some reason my heart is having a harder time letting my brain do all the driving when it comes to AU hoops. And I am not a big "fanboy" type of guy so this is a struggle for me LOL. But I'm also seeing the value of being so joyous after wins because as we all know. It's been a loooooooooonnnggggg road to get here. I know I didn't think I'd ever see an AU team firmly placed in the top 10.

*And, thanks man. I'll be fine just dealing with some unknown health issues and the trial/error medication process SUCKS.

I feel you. I'm scared about messing up and losing early in the tournament, I think that's the worst thing that could happen to us

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

I feel you. I'm scared about messing up and losing early in the tournament, I think that's the worst thing that could happen to us

Agreed. I'll take a worse regular season record and worse conference finish for a longer stay in the tourney.

Since I've never coached basketball I'm not critical of our player's skills, but I do love seeing Bryce knocking down 3s when he's rolling.  What I'd really like to see is a picture of Bryce and his girlfriend, who I understand plays on the AU women's team.  

15 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

Since I've never coached basketball I'm not critical of our player's skills, but I do love seeing Bryce knocking down 3s when he's rolling.  What I'd really like to see is a picture of Bryce and his girlfriend, who I understand plays on the AU women's team.  

leader and heart of the team. It's amazing that some dingus so called expert on here said that he wouldn't even have Bryce in his starting five. Just shows you how far AU needs to come until it produces not just a respectable bball program, but also some more intelligent basketball fans.

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

@Tiger See what I'm talking about? Saying Brown is the best on ball defender in the country is hilarious. Coach speak

Archived