Gus has brought us to this. (merged threads)

Swamp Eagle

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

2019 mr fred!!!!! WE finally get to get rid of him. WOOOOOO!!!!! Looks like you get to toot your own horn louder than all of us since you did not want to give him a contract extension and raise!!! WOOOO!!!! MR FRED IS THE BEST!! MR FRED IS NUMBER ONE!!!! lmao

In all seriousness, look at @Zeek post on about page 3 of that thread- absolutely nailed it. Kudos to Zeek!

• WarTiger changed the title to Gus has brought us to this. (merged threads)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, fredst said:

In all seriousness, look at @Zeek post on about page 3 of that thread- absolutely nailed it. Kudos to Zeek!

Where did I say what lol

Ready for change my guys.

change.gif

16 minutes ago, fredst said:

HA!!!!!! ME AND MOTHER FRICKING VIPER THE ONLY ONES IN HERE THAT ACCURATELY PREDICT THE FUTURE!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!!! LETS GO!!!!!! Lol......

I still remember that time, when he was gone for several months, and someone said,  “ I wonder where viper is” and he responded shortly with 

FE4B7AE2-D7B4-4624-8625-425EE8358D53.gif

(I believe) the gif itself must’ve been deleted because it’s just “code” there now, but easily one of the top 5 responses here of all time. I laughed for days. All Loof’s fault btw

33 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Where did I say what lol

Ready for change my guys.

change.gif

Someone resurrected the thread from last year when the “Gus to Arky, should we raise him” debate was going, there was even a poll. You summed up nicely why a raise/extension shouldn’t be done- looks prescient now....

Edit: see that you found it @Zeek, lol

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Someone resurrected the thread from last year when the “Gus to Arky, should we raise him” debate was going, there was even a poll. You summed up nicely why a raise/extension shouldn’t be done- looks prescient now....

I've had a cursed professional career. All of my bosses have been knee jerkers and not big picture guys. Wish I wouldn't have been right but we've known who Gus is for quite some time now. The denial is finally dying.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I've had a cursed professional career. All of my bosses have been knee jerkers and not big picture guys. Wish I wouldn't have been right but we've known who Gus is for quite some time now. The denial is finally dying.

Yeah, sounds Viper-ish, but man I hated the hire when it happened and lamented it with my brothers (we are all Auburn graduates and hard-core fans). I gladly ate crow in 2013 and wanted to believe I was wrong but the 2014 results with the talent that team had (particularly the UGA game) convinced me that Gus wouldn’t be the consistent leader we needed. And, admittedly, the guy is in a really tough spot competing with the Saban/Bammer machine. But, the way we’ve lost under Gus has been as hard to swallow as the losses themselves

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Stole this from a poster on another message board. I wish I could take credit for this. 

As of Saturday, November 24, 2018, Gus Malzahn will be. 
• 2-5 vs. Alabama 
• 2-5 vs. Georgia 
• 2-5 vs. LSU 
• 1-4 in overall Bowl games (*The lone win; Conference USA opponent Memphis in the lowest tier SEC Bowl affiliation; The Birmingham Bowl) 
• 0-3 in bowl games vs. Power-5 teams 
• 0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa 
• 26-18 vs. SEC opponents 
• 10-9 vs. SEC opponents on the road 
• 4-5 vs. Non-Conference Power-5 teams 
• 2 New Years Six bowl appearances (0-2 in them) 
• First loss to a non-Power 5 team in 27 years 
• First loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) 
• 0 playoff appearances 
• 0 National titles 
• 1 National Championship Game Appearance that resulted in blowing an 18 point lead.

Under Gus Malzahn's new contract, signed at the end of the 2017 season, every loss during the 2018 season costs Auburn $558,000.

1. Three losses or more each season from 2014-2017.

2. One 2016 win (LSU) came as time expired.

3. 2017 blew a 20 point lead to an LSU team that lost to Troy State and MSU.

4. 2013 blew a 18 point lead with the National Championship on the line.

5. An 8-4 Auburn team went to the Sugar Bowl in 2016 in a down year for the SEC and lost to Oklahoma 35-19.

6. Lost SEC championship game in 2017 28-7 to a Georgia Team Auburn completely manhandled just a few weeks earlier.

7. Lost the Peach Bowl to UCF 27-34. *The last loss to a non-Power 5 team was 1991 vs. Southern Miss.

8. 2018 blew an 11 point halftime lead. Did not score a single point in the second half.

9. 2017 blew a halftime lead on the road in Baton Rouge.

10. Malzahn's contract pays him $6.7 million in 2018.

11. Tennessee was 3-2 coming into the 2018 game, with an 0-11 SEC record. Auburn’s last loss to Tennessee came in 1999. The last loss to Tennessee at home came in 1998.

Hard to argue with these facts!

30 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah, sounds Viper-ish, but man I hated the hire when it happened and lamented it with my brothers (we are all Auburn graduates and hard-core fans). I gladly ate crow in 2013 and wanted to believe I was wrong but the 2014 results with the talent that team had (particularly the UGA game) convinced me that Gus wouldn’t be the consistent leader we needed. And, admittedly, the guy is in a really tough spot competing with the Saban/Bammer machine. But, the way we’ve lost under Gus has been as hard to swallow as the losses themselves

Well, when people argue our expectations are too high I like to point our one thing. GUS is the one who told us we would be back... It's been 5 years going on 6. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus Malzahn's new contract, signed at the end of the 2017 season, every loss during the 2018 season costs Auburn $558,000.

Or you could say every win cost AU 1.75 million. I didn't count the three automatic wins that the team could win without a coach,  he basically won three games against lower tier teams and lucked out on the fourth against Texas A&M. 

16 minutes ago, amsterjam said:

It must be so frustrating for Gus to see these boys play like this every Saturday after so many great weeks of practice. 

It's almost like he sets up the defensive scout team to his liking and then runs the plays in practice.  

Gus: "Okay scout team.  Play a 2-4-5 and play zone in between the hashes.  Wow those runs up the gut against 2 down-linemen work every time.  And those WR bubblescreens with nobody defending them go for TD's every time in practice.  I can't figure out why they don't work in the games!?!?"

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Stole this from a poster on another message board. I wish I could take credit for this. 

• 2-5 vs. Alabama 
• 2-5 vs. Georgia 
• 2-5 vs. LSU 
• 1-4 in overall Bowl games (*The lone win; Conference USA opponent Memphis in the lowest tier SEC Bowl affiliation; The Birmingham Bowl) 
• 0 playoff appearances 
• 0 National titles 
• 1 National Championship Game Appearance that resulted in blowing an 18 point lead.

Under Gus Malzahn's new contract, signed at the end of the 2017 season, every loss during the 2018 season costs Auburn $558,000.

5. An 8-4 Auburn team went to the Sugar Bowl in 2016 in a down year for the SEC and lost to Oklahoma 35-19.

6. Lost SEC championship game in 2017 28-7 to a Georgia Team Auburn completely manhandled just a few weeks earlier.

7. Lost the Peach Bowl to UCF 27-34. *The last loss to a non-Power 5 team was 1991 vs. Southern Miss.

8. 2018 blew an 11 point halftime lead. Did not score a single point in the second half.

11. Tennessee was 3-2 coming into the 2018 game, with an 0-11 SEC record. Auburn’s last loss to Tennessee came in 1999. The last loss to Tennessee at home came in 1998.

impressive stats actually (in a bad way). I'm sure Gus does not ever look at bad stats about himself, and no one shows him any that are his unless they are positive.

This is the kind of info AD Greene needs to present to Gus when he evaluates Gus's job performance. The contract should be modified that Gus only gets full salary if Auburn wins.

A loss gets at the most half.

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

It's almost like he sets up the defensive scout team to his liking and then runs the plays in practice.  

Gus: "Okay scout team.  Play a 2-4-5 and play zone in between the hashes.  Wow those runs up the gut against 2 down-linemen work every time.  And those WR bubblescreens with nobody defending them go for TD's every time in practice.  I can't figure out why they don't work in the games!?!?"

Execution ;D

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

exactly, the opponent rarely does what we do in practice. Plus the opponent knows our index card play sheet. Its too easy now for other teams, bet they all love playing Auburn.

No fear no worries.

It's no secret Auburn is between a rock and a hard place but they have got a decision to make.

They've got to decide if they want to be contenders or pretenders .

To be contenders they have got to make the decision to find that special someone who cannot only coach but also recruit and bring in a staff that can coach, recruit but more importantly develop players.

Now, the only way to do that is for the PTB to give them the time and free reign and not meddle. One other caveat is pay them handsomely. Thanks to Leath that part will be a lot easier said than done.

I know I'm not the first person on this board to think of this. Hopefully, the PTB will make the right decision. If not we'll just end up with Malzahn under another name. Give us all something get excited about and cheer for

As the late, great Jin Fyffe would say that's all the time I have, I thank you for yours. 

:yay:

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

• 2-5 vs. Alabama 
• 2-5 vs. Georgia 
• 2-5 vs. LSU 
• 0 playoff appearances 
• 0 National titles 

From the "Like it Matters" file:

2-4 vs LSU and bammer

Archived