POSTGAME THREAD: AU 21 Bama 52

RunInRed

8 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Our Front 7 will be decimated. 6-6 next season.

Optimistic...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Optimistic...

At least going 6-6 or worse would be enough to get him fired. My fear is he'll do JUST, and I mean JUST BARELY enough to save his job. With the stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid STUPID buyout, methinks 8-4 would save him.

Sucks that the best G5 team right now was completely built by another coach. Like I said, I'd be all for Bill Clark if he had rebuilt UAB all by himself, but they were given TONS of help from Indianapolis. Kiffin falling flat after such a great first year at FAU was an extra kick in the teeth--had he had those two records in reverse order I'd say phone him ASAP.  If we weren't ball and chained I would suggest Venables, Leach, or even Campbell. This was literally the worst possible year for Gus to crap the bed.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

At least going 6-6 or worse would be enough to get him fired. My fear is he'll do JUST, and I mean JUST BARELY enough to save his job. With the stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid STUPID buyout, methinks 8-4 would save him.

If Freeze is hired then maybe M.A.Y.B.E. Gus will respect him enough to let him truly be the OC (boss) and bring in his own coaches, etc.  MAYBE...

But, unfortunately, I've lost complete faith in him and I foresee a Baby Bowden-esque or Chizik-esque final season.  I truly do.

...and I HATE feeling this way dangit...this is BULLCRAP!!!! Sorry...15 yd unsportsmanlike conduct on me.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If Freeze is hired then maybe M.A.Y.B.E. Gus will respect him enough to let him truly be the OC (boss) and bring in his own coaches, etc.  MAYBE...

But, unfortunately, I've lost complete faith in him and I foresee a Baby Bowden-esque or Chizik-esque final season.  I truly do.

...and I HATE feeling this way dangit...this is BULLCRAP!!!! Sorry...15 yd unsportsmanlike conduct on me.

This does feel EXACTLY like the end of 2011 IMO...so 2020 is looking good (well, 2013 and 14 probably would've swapped results had the scheduling patterns (DSOR) stayed the same--so probably more like 2021).

22 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Our Front 7 will be decimated. 6-6 next season.

Yeah but I think we got some “mean” in next years front seven. Kingsbury available with more good offensive minds becoming available soon. Secondary got experience.  Healed players, Couple good hires, large handful of Juco transfers, OLine showing some promise...whitlow and shivers been getting better, again A COUPLE OF REALLY GOOD HIRES——please!  I think we will be pretty darn good next year. 

Gus will never again be more than a 5-7  win coach. He should have built something more than this by now. He should have evolved his offense. He should have recruited depth at key positions like the OL. He should have gone after established assistant coaches rather than his own hand picked guys. He should have spent more time getting the backups prepared by giving them meaningful snaps.

He has done none of those, and we are staring down another B'ham bowl appearance and potential loss/7-6 season.  We are one extra effort play by a LB (Washington game) and a horrendous late game mistake by an opponent (A&M) from being 5-7, 2-6 SEC at this point. 

Just now, johnnyAU said:

Gus will never again be more than a 5-7  win coach. He should have built something more than this by now. He should have evolved his offense. He should have recruited depth at key positions like the OL. He should have gone after established assistant coaches rather than his own hand picked guys. He should have spent more time getting the backups prepared by giving them meaningful snaps.

He has done none of those, and we are staring down another B'ham bowl appearance and potential loss/7-6 season.  We are one extra effort play by a LB (Washington game) and a horrendous late game mistake by an opponent (A&M) from being 5-7, 2-6 SEC at this point. 

We're likely not going to B'ham, at least.

6 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I think we will be pretty darn good next year. 

that is funny! Not with this predictable offense we won't.

5 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Yeah but I think we got some “mean” in next years front seven. Kingsbury available with more good offensive minds becoming available soon. Secondary got experience.  Healed players, Couple good hires, large handful of Juco transfers, OLine showing some promise...whitlow and shivers been getting better, again A COUPLE OF REALLY GOOD HIRES——please!  I think we will be pretty darn good next year. 

1. When is the last time Gus hired an on-field assistant that he was not previously familiar with? Steele perhaps? Why would he suddenly hire from outside his comfort zone?

2. When is the last time Gus gave 100% control to his OC?

3. Given the above, why would Kingsbury want to be Gus' OC?

6-6 next season.

Just now, ChltteTiger said:

that is funny! Not with this predictable offense we won't.

I cannot fathom in my mind that the offense could possibly not change dramatically. You are 100000% right.  Hi just cannot come to terms with the fact that we are not going to change everything. This is Auburn University, big time, big time football program, typically in the national conversation. I just can’t see the powers that be allowing this remarkably predictable and quite frankly, horrible, offensive scheme to be continued.  I am forcing myself to believe that lots of things will change

5 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I cannot fathom in my mind that the offense could possibly not change dramatically. You are 100000% right.  Hi just cannot come to terms with the fact that we are not going to change everything. This is Auburn University, big time, big time football program, typically in the national conversation. I just can’t see the powers that be allowing this remarkably predictable and quite frankly, horrible, offensive scheme to be continued.  I am forcing myself to believe that lots of things will change

Many thought that by getting rid of Lashlee the offense would get better. It did for one season because of a good O-Line and the out-of-nowhere emergence of Kerryon Johnson. Now it's back to the exact same offense. The only thing that's changed is the Statue of Liberty left with Lashlee.

9 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

1. When is the last time Gus hired an on-field assistant that he was not previously familiar with? Steele perhaps? Why would he suddenly hire from outside his comfort zone?

2. When is the last time Gus gave 100% control to his OC?

3. Given the above, why would Kingsbury want to be Gus' OC?

6-6 next season.

I replied to this and it actually got somehow posted in another thread. I could not do that again if I tried. I just naïvely refuse to believe that he’s not going to be sat down and told what’s going to happen next year. Wishful thinking? Naïveté? I just can’t see such a highly paid person under perform so poorly and not be held accountable 

You are correct, and I know that, but I just can’t believe that the powers that be would allow that to continue 

3 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

You are correct, and I know that, but I just can’t believe that the powers that be would allow that to continue 

They have 32 Million reasons to allow it to continue.

Academia versus Business. Under which does “college football coach” exist?  My wife and I once caught my daughter‘s elementary school principal, a woman with a PhD, in a large lie.  I had documented, written proof that she was lying to my face, but she doubled down on the lie. I told her that she needed to stay in this ridiculous world of academia, where nobody is held accountable, because the business world would chew  her up and spit her out. As a long time business person, and successful salesman, everything, but everything, is based on productivity, and with productivity like Gus, everybody in the organization would just intuitively know that this person would be gone. And it’s nobody’s fault but their own.  

49 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Sucks that the best G5 team right now was completely built by another coach. Like I said, I'd be all for Bill Clark if he had rebuilt UAB all by himself, but they were given TONS of help from Indianapolis. Kiffin falling flat after such a great first year at FAU was an extra kick in the teeth--had he had those two records in reverse order I'd say phone him ASAP.  If we weren't ball and chained I would suggest Venables, Leach, or even Campbell. This was literally the worst possible year for Gus to crap the bed.

Let me give an absolute stone cold guarantee: Gus is gone next year with anything less than 9 regular season wins. And if he goes 9-3 with losses at LSU and vs. UGA & Bama he is still gone.

His seat is NUCLEAR going into next year, buyout or not.

23 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

No, winning and putting kids in the NFL has helped make them who they are.  Kids want to play for the best.  It says a ton when Hurts stays at a program willingly to be a back-up rather than transfer and start somewhere else because the coaching at Bama is that much better.

I agree with this. However, Hurts had a choice to transfer as an underclassman and sit a year or grad and transfer and potentially start. The latter also giving him the chance to learn from a coach he trust. I don't know what his situation truly is but he definitely didn't make a bad decision as far as being able to play if he decides to transfer.  

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

They have 32 Million reasons to allow it to continue.

I think the flip can be said too...$32 mil and rising (plummeting morale and potential sales) NOT to. In ordinary circumstances, maybe the HC would have a longer leash. Maybe the AD "couldn't" or "shouldn't" have accountability measures in place. This isn't ordinary. This is as offensive as offense gets, pun intended. I fully believe someone will hold a record for the shortest leash in SEC history if he stays. IMHO that is exactly as it should be, based upon the pattern of results. A contract just cannot be that one-sided in its application. 

Archived