Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So again, since last year was thin on WRs, there's plenty of reason to believe that the 20th WR in this year's draft will get taken 5th round or higher, very likely before the 7th round, and will almost certainly drafted.

Now, if we believe that Slayton might be better than the 20th WR after testing, then he really starts looking like a 5th rounder or better.

I can work with this.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

2018: 20th WR would've been the first pick of the 6th round.

2017: 4th round

2016: Last pick of 5th round

2015: 2nd pick of 5th round

2014: 4th round

2013: 6th round

2012: 4th round

So again, since last year was thin on WRs, there's plenty of reason to believe that the 20th WR in this year's draft will get taken 5th round or higher, very likely before the 7th round, and will almost certainly drafted.

Now, if we believe that Slayton might be better than the 20th WR after testing, then he really starts looking like a 5th rounder or better. If he's halfway between your guy and meta's guy at 16, then he's almost a lock for the 4th round. If you believe he's below that 20 mark, it admittedly gets murky. 

Let me make it clear in all this, too, that the reason I'm making this argument is I do believe Slayton is a great player. I just think he could have used another year, with my theory being unless you're a 3rd round or better lock, you stay. The thing we can't know in all this is how good Kodi is as a coach, and who Slayton works with in the offseason. But ball skills and route running is something that you can drastically improve with the right guidance. I truly wish we had a grown up passing game to let these guys shine.

29 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Let me make it clear in all this, too, that the reason I'm making this argument is I do believe Slayton is a great player. I just think he could have used another year, with my theory being unless you're a 3rd round or better lock, you stay. The thing we can't know in all this is how good Kodi is as a coach, and who Slayton works with in the offseason. But ball skills and route running is something that you can drastically improve with the right guidance. I truly wish we had a grown up passing game to let these guys shine.

I think that is the middle ground that almost every one of us can meet on. 

50 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Sounds like another AU player entered the portal besides JJ...anybody know who?

It Javarious Johnson on defense I think!!?? Oh that may be who Jj is in your post. My bad

48 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Bummer 

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

how big of a loss is J. Johnson....I know we have a good bit of depth on the Dline but it can never be good losin anybody

He has been here a while it seems. Can’t recall any contributions. He might have dealt with injuries too. Seems like he was very heavy when he first got here. 

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

He has been here a while it seems. Can’t recall any contributions. He might have dealt with injuries too. Seems like he was very heavy when he first got here. 

Yea i just looked up his bio on 247....was a 3 star recruit listed 6'2 322 out of high school....seems like i remember seeing him some this year in mop up duty

28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

how big of a loss is J. Johnson....I know we have a good bit of depth on the Dline but it can never be good losin anybody

His biggest contribution has been that he hasn't gotten into any off-field trouble or caused any embarrassment to the team or university. I wish him well wherever he ends up, but he's had no effect on the team's  won/loss record. If one wanted to be blunt about it, the argument can be made that we're better off having the scholarship slot available.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

His biggest contribution has been that he hasn't gotten into any off-field trouble or caused any embarrassment to the team or university. I wish him well wherever he ends up, but he's had no effect on the team's  won/loss record. If one wanted to be blunt about it, the argument can be made that we're better off having the scholarship slot available.

Thanks for the info!

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Lots of guys pass through the program and meet that description…. which I'm OK with ….gotta have some depth and need quality back-ups to provide a good practice experience for the starters.   Many of those guys are walk-ons or scholarship players who are not up the SEC level but are still good players and give relief to the starters..  

Hope he got his degree which would be a good thing but either way, and another year or two of paid-for college where he has a chance to get on the field full time.....what could be better? . 👍

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hope he got his degree which would be a good thing but either way

He's in the grad transfer "portal".  I think that means he has graduated already or will graduate before the end of Spring term.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

He's in the grad transfer "portal".  I think that means he has graduated already or will graduate before the end of Spring term.

Thanks...did not know the transfer portal was only for grad transfers.

Well...just looked and appears any player can list...not just grads.  Main thing is it permits players to begin what amounts to another recruitment....but will have to give up scholarship at end of the year.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Well...just looked and appears any player can list...not just grads.  Main thing is it permits players to begin what amounts to another recruitment....but will have to give up scholarship at end of the year.

I had assumed that was for grads! You know what the first three letters of "ASSumed are, right? :)

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I had assumed that was for grads! You know what the first three letters of "ASSumed are, right? :)

I was thinking GTs also until you commented....and then I thought?   Nah....Mikey is wrong as much as he is right so maybe I better go look it up. ...which I did. 😄

It's a mixed blessing for the players...if they go public then schools can contact them which opens the possibilities......but their own school has the option of dropping their scholly at the end of the semester (though I can't imagine any other than Nick or Harbaugh actually do it) .  

And undergrads still have to sit out a season but I'm thinking that any undergrad who transfers and sits out a season is an idiot or lacks imagination....after seeing what went on with Patterson and the lame excuse that is probably going to work for the  UGA guy. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

He graduated during my ceremony, so he did indeed graduate. That’s the only insider info I’ll ever have!

17 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

He graduated during my ceremony, so he did indeed graduate. That’s the only insider info I’ll ever have!

Don't believe you.  I will need the following to verify your account or else it will be taken into the fake new account:

1.  Notarized form verifying your presence.

2.  Photo of you and said player on the stage at the exact same time.

3.  To verify your identity I need two forms of identification from the following: driver's license, Social Security Card, Birth Certificate.

I look forward to your timely response.

Archived