Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

I don't know if this will mean anything or not but I find it a bit ironic, this TE talk ATM.

Though TE has been a wasted position the last few years, Gus openly stating that he's the play-calling now seems to possibly actually OPEN UP the use of the TE now.

Seems when Gus was the "official" play caller Auburn had a few pretty dang good ones (who WERE utilized).

Tommy Trott, Lutzie, & Uzomah.  Maybe the TE will make a comeback in '19?

EDIT: I realize this s was not one of my best posts.  I'm blaming it on Chemo Brain.  War Eagle.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUsince72 said:

I don't know if this will mean anything or not but I find it a bit ironic, this TE talk ATM.

Though TE has been a wasted position the last few years, Gus openly stating that he's the play-calling now seems to possibly actually OPEN UP the use of the TE now.

Seems when Gus was the "official" play caller Auburn had a few pretty dang good ones (who WERE utilized).

Uzomah was extremely underutilized though....

Just now, AUGunsmith said:

Uzomah was extremely underutilized though....

They were ALL underutilized, you are correct.

....but at least they WERE utilized.  

I do hate the idea of Jalen going for a hundy & 2 TD's next year against AU for thUga....sigh... 

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Trott went from 20 catches without Gus to 11 with him.  less than one a game

Lutz best yr 24 catches   2 a game

CJ had 11 catches each yr less than one a game

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Honestly, if he plays against us, and Gus is still around, I hope he puts up stupid videogame numbers. 

I get it, but I still hate it.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Trott went from 20 catches without Gus to 11 with him.  less than one a game

Lutz best yr 24 catches   2 a game

CJ had 11 catches each yr less than one a game

I understand.  But, like I said, the TE at least existed at one time under Gus.  Just trying to find some ray of sunshine in this otherwise very cloudy time.

And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing changes with the TE and they remain non-existent because I am a proud member of the "Gus has always been the OC anyway" club.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

I understand.  But, like I said, the TE at least existed at one time under Gus.  Just trying to find some way of sunshine in this otherwise very cloudy time.

And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing changes with the TE and they remain non-existent because I am a proud member of the "Gus has always been the OC anyway" club.

It always appeared that Gus utilized the TE more but in reality he had 2 red zone/goal line plays that got TD's with them.  If they were just regular receptions they would have been forgotten.  Teams figured out the plays back in 2011-12. 

I hear ya, trying to find any bright spots myself.  Right now I just have humor to get me by. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

i think the staff will weigh whether Gatewood can be developed quicker into a TE than a polished QB, Especially if they find they have enough quality QBs to compete next year (Nix, Cord)

Gotta recruit more than one QB prospect and even then you might be in the Juco market later.

Just my understanding but JG was highly regarded and a good "get" go AU....expect he will be a contributor.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Gotta recruit more than one QB prospect and even then you might be in the Juco market later.

Just my understanding but JG was highly regarded and a good "get" go AU....expect he will be a contributor.

He was a good get as a top rated athlete. I think either 1 or 2 nationally. As a QB, he was a hope you struck cam Newton gold hope and a prayer get. 

4 hours ago, Linayus said:

That's a very interesting list of schools. I just hope he doesn't choose Georgia. LOL

I hope he does and puts up 200 yds and 3 TD against us.   We have criminally mismanaged players and their careers the last 6 years.  

36 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

He was a good get as a top rated athlete. I think either 1 or 2 nationally. As a QB, he was a hope you struck cam Newton gold hope and a prayer get. 

It was said by the recruiting guys at the time that if he had come out as a TE , he would've been ranked the #1 TE in the nation.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I will believe it when I see it.

29 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I will believe it when I see it.

Yeah it's pretty unanimous that I must've been smoking something when I originally posted that.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It was said by the recruiting guys at the time that if he had come out as a TE , he would've been ranked the #1 TE in the nation.

Once a guy has played QB...it is hard to get him to give up the dream....some change positions...and some transfer. :dunno:

55 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah it's pretty unanimous that I must've been smoking something when I originally posted that.

No, you are probably like the majority of us on this forum that wonder why the TE is such a seldom used offensive weapon under Gus.

I would love to see the TE catch many passes each game.

I don't really question the usage of Uzomah. Those 2013 and 2014 offenses were really damned good. He wasn't used a ton but it's not like the last few years where we were completely ineffective and Gus just left a ton of talent standing on the sidelines or running useless routes. And CJ is now a starting TE in the NFL. Maybe he should've gotten drafted higher but he did ok.

As for Jalen, it will be interesting to see how his career goes. I don't think he's half the pass catching talent that guys like CJ and Trott were, but I could be wrong. I'm curious how interested in him uga really is. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I don't really question the usage of Uzomah. Those 2013 and 2014 offenses were really damned good. He wasn't used a ton but it's not like the last few years where we were completely ineffective and Gus just left a ton of talent standing on the sidelines or running useless routes. And CJ is now a starting TE in the NFL. Maybe he should've gotten drafted higher but he did ok.

As for Jalen, it will be interesting to see how his career goes. I don't think he's half the pass catching talent that guys like CJ and Trott were, but I could be wrong. I'm curious how interested in him uga really is. 

The dude is an athlete who IIRC could have played basketball in college. Trott wouldn't start above Harris in most Os

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

I hope he does and puts up 200 yds and 3 TD against us.   We have criminally mismanaged players and their careers the last 6 years.  

I don’t. Usually I would want ex players to succeed, but I dislike everything Uga and I love Auburn. Forget the “I told you so or you deserve it Gus” moment. Uga sucks and so do their fans. 

If he goes anywhere else I hope he succeeds big time. If he goes to Uga I hope he has 1 catch for 3 yards... all year. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

I don’t. Usually I would want ex players to succeed, but I dislike everything Uga and I love Auburn. Forget the “I told you so or you deserve it Gus” moment. Uga sucks and so do their fans. 

If he goes anywhere else I hope he succeeds big time. If he goes to Uga I hope he has 1 catch for 3 yards... all year. 

I can respect this. 

1 hour ago, AUGunsmith said:

The dude is an athlete who IIRC could have played basketball in college. Trott wouldn't start above Harris in most Os

Yeah, I don't remember Trott the way most on here do.  Comparing his recruiting hype to his production (blocking and receiving) he's the most over rated recruit to actually start and play at Auburn that I can remember.  But, I was at the Cotton Bowl and watched him get abused by Nebraska's defensive ends and LB's.  Not a fan of his to say the least.

20 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This right here. We're all heart around here, but when you transfer to an enemy, all bets are off. Jalen looked like a beast on that one catch I saw him make, seems like be should've been part of the plan.

11 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah, I don't remember Trott the way most on here do.  Comparing his recruiting hype to his production (blocking and receiving) he's the most over rated recruit to actually start and play at Auburn that I can remember.  But, I was at the Cotton Bowl and watched him get abused by Nebraska's defensive ends and LB's.  Not a fan of his to say the least.

Okay. Maybe not Trott. Let's say Lutz and Uzomah, or whoever and Uzomah. I just don't recall Harris ever being considered as having particularly high potential as a pass catcher. Maybe an athlete, but so are almost all these guys. Especially at TE these days. 

Archived