Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In what context? I've never seen that. Now, it's possible that he admitted something just to get the mess over with, but I didn't see it and I followed the situation very closely. Why didn't he ask for money at AU, Oklahoma or Tennessee? Tennessee in particular would have had reason to skewer Auburn if they had knowledge.

This an article on the report Auburn released:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7190987/auburn-tigers-records-reveal-details-cam-newton-scandal

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing universally reported is quotes from Kenny Rogers- he couldn't even produce exact quotes from Cecil's supposed conversations with MSU staff/boosters- and Cecil admitting to some very vague wrongdoing. 

It's pretty obvious what happened. Rogers- MSU alum, confirmed shady ass street agent and NFLPA impersonator- approached Cecil about getting some cash for Cam from MSU. Cecil made the mistake of listening and maybe even taking a meeting but then the Newtons bailed. They didn't discuss money anywhere else because Rogers isn't connected anywhere else. He's an MSU guy which is why he got Cecil talking about money with MSU

How do you arrive at a weird number like $180k? Easy. Take a nice, even number like $200k and subtract 10%- the agent's cut. 

This really is the Occam's Razor version of the story, but it's not interesting enough, sooooo...

I love Derrick Brown. He has been great for us. I am a little surprised at his draft status being so high as it did not seem like he was able to put his fingerprints on games in the manner that Nick Fairley did. This is not to disparage DB -- I know DTs do dirty work that often times goes unnoticed but from my casual observer's perspective  Fairley seemed more of a gameplan wrecker than Brown as it seemed like Nick Fairley was absolutely ruining whatever offenses tried to do and it did not seem like Brown had such an obvious effect.

54 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I love Derrick Brown. He has been great for us. I am a little surprised at his draft status being so high as it did not seem like he was able to put his fingerprints on games in the manner that Nick Fairley did. This is not to disparage DB -- I know DTs do dirty work that often times goes unnoticed but from my casual observer's perspective  Fairley seemed more of a gameplan wrecker than Brown as it seemed like Nick Fairley was absolutely ruining whatever offenses tried to do and it did not seem like Brown had such an obvious effect.

Think reason for that is Fairley kinda had a breakout year his last year at Auburn.Sophomore year he had a very average year, teams did not Double team him near as much as Brown coming into his Junior year. Derrick Brown was known about and I do not have actual stats about how many times each were double teamed but Brown was double teamed A LOT this entire year.

If he was left was one on one more, he would have been having a lot more games like Purdue where they left #60 one on one with him and Brown destroyed him and was in backfield almost every play. 

I do think Fairley had a little bit more acceleration and pass rushing abilities. Brown's has elite power, and is good at taking on those double teams. 

It would be interesting to compare combine stats with the two. Brown a believe weighs about 30 pound heavier 330ist(to lazy to look up) Fairley around 295-300

@Tiger Think what has scout drooling is plays like in videoat 2:49 against SEC lineman. Mute Video is has  bad language . The comparison got me intrigued , so started looking up some highlights haha

2 hours ago, bmartin3228 said:

Think reason for that is Fairley kinda had a breakout year his last year at Auburn.Sophomore year he had a very average year, teams did not Double team him near as much as Brown coming into his Junior year. Derrick Brown was known about and I do not have actual stats about how many times each were double teamed but Brown was double teamed A LOT this entire year.

If he was left was one on one more, he would have been having a lot more games like Purdue where they left #60 one on one with him and Brown destroyed him and was in backfield almost every play. 

I do think Fairley had a little bit more acceleration and pass rushing abilities. Brown's has elite power, and is good at taking on those double teams. 

It would be interesting to compare combine stats with the two. Brown a believe weighs about 30 pound heavier 330ist(to lazy to look up) Fairley around 295-300

@Tiger Think what has scout drooling is plays like in videoat 2:49 against SEC lineman. Mute Video is has  bad language . The comparison got me intrigued , so started looking up some highlights haha

Brown is solid. Will be good at the next level. He was not close to the player NF was in his final year. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Brown is solid. Will be good at the next level. He was not close to the player NF was in his final year. 

I never said Brown was the player NF was in his last year. I was giving reason of why that may have been the case.

24 minutes ago, alexava said:

16 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

I never said Brown was the player NF was in his last year. I was giving reason of why that may have been the case.

He was also playing with an injury for most of this season. 

Not sure if scheme had anything to do with the difference or not but you always have to take into account when guys play on different teams and for different coaches. It's never apples to apples.

For example, the 2010 offense scored 39.6 PPG. The 2018 offense scored 28.3. That means that the offenses Nick Fairly faced were regularly forced into passing situations while the offenses that Derrick Brown faced had the entire playbook open on almost every series the entire season. That 2010 defense gave up 40 yards more per game in the air than the 2018 defense. 

Derrick Brown is a freaking monster and quite possibly a more complete player than Fairley was. Won't be surprised in the least if he has a much better NFL career.

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He was also playing with an injury for most of this season. 

Not sure if scheme had anything to do with the difference or not but you always have to take into account when guys play on different teams and for different coaches. It's never apples to apples.

For example, the 2010 offense scored 39.6 PPG. The 2018 offense scored 28.3. That means that the offenses Nick Fairly faced were regularly forced into passing situations while the offenses that Derrick Brown faced had the entire playbook open on almost every series the entire season. That 2010 defense gave up 40 yards more per game in the air than the 2018 defense. 

Derrick Brown is a freaking monster and quite possibly a more complete player than Fairley was. Won't be surprised in the least if he has a much better NFL career.

It wouldn’t take much to have a better NFL career. But that one season Nick was more dominant than any defensive tackle Auburn ever had. Actually any defensive player. He destroyed qbs on passing downs and disrupted running games too. He was a surprise for the first 4-5 games that year then everyone was well aware what they were dealing with and still couldn’t block him. 

Brown is projected top 10 maybe #6 by ESPN. As far as after the the Oregon game when he decided to enter the draft, Kiper had Nick #1. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Won't be surprised in the least if he has a much better NFL career.

I would bet on as well. 

To go off what you were saying , it would be interesting to compare amount of snaps between the two. 2010 our offense was booming , controlling time of possession a lot better than this year. I know we rotate pretty well , but a tired Dline is not going to be making those huge impact plays. All I can find is time of possession , could not find the actual amount of snap between the 2 to compare.

22 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Remind me when the deadline for NFL declarations is?

Edit: just looked it up, and it's January 14.

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

It wouldn’t take much to have a better NFL career. But that one season Nick was more dominant than any defensive tackle Auburn ever had. Actually any defensive player. He destroyed qbs on passing downs and disrupted running games too. He was a surprise for the first 4-5 games that year then everyone was well aware what they were dealing with and still couldn’t block him. 

Brown is projected top 10 maybe #6 by ESPN. As far as after the the Oregon game when he decided to enter the draft, Kiper had Nick #1. 

What about Career?If you took Fairleys two year stat with Brown's two Year stats they are pretty much the same. In fact Brown Beats Fairley in most Statistical category besides 4 less total sacks. No one is debating how dominant Fairley was in 2010, but a bunch a variables could go in to why Brown didn't produce as much as Fairley did. 

You could turn around and say Fairley couldn't hold Brown's Jock Strap in there Sophomore year. Browns Measures are through the roof. 

Either way , hope he stays but I think he is as good as gone. Good thing is the youngsters sure did run pretty well in bowl game!

34 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Edit: just looked it up, and it's January 14.

I remember after 2015 I thought it was 1/15, and apparently it wasn't; Barber declared after 1/15.

20 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

What about Career?If you took Fairleys two year stat with Brown's two Year stats they are pretty much the same. In fact Brown Beats Fairley in most Statistical category besides 4 less total sacks. No one is debating how dominant Fairley was in 2010, but a bunch a variables could go in to why Brown didn't produce as much as Fairley did. 

You could turn around and say Fairley couldn't hold Brown's Jock Strap in there Sophomore year. Browns Measures are through the roof. 

Either way , hope he stays but I think he is as good as gone. Good thing is the youngsters sure did run pretty well in bowl game!

Yes Fairley was mediocre at best his first year and only played two I think. The knock on him was Work ethic and effort, which is probably why he didn’t have a better nfl career. In no way trying to discredit Brown at all. I would not trade that one year Nick had for all three of Brown’s. I hope Brown stays too but see no way he does. 

Hopefully we won't have anyone random declare like Patrick Miller in 2015. I also remember Kris Frost hilariously thinking about jumping early. I wonder who gets in these kids ears...

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Hopefully we won't have anyone random declare like Patrick Miller in 2015. I also remember Kris Frost hilariously thinking about jumping early. I wonder who gets in these kids ears...

I forgot about Miller. Frost, I agree. He was a great kid who represented Auburn very well AND made some very clutch, game winning plays. Just not NFL material but I was glad to have him. 

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I tell you who proved me wrong was KJ. I did not think he would have declared early and thought it was a terrible decision last year based on the backs coming out and Kerryon not looking like your typical NFL back. 

I was amazed how well he did this year in the NFL and had one of the better rookie RB year. I ate crow on that , and was happy to do so.  KJ one of those guys that won't wow you at combine but has incredible vision, and knows how to use body extremely well.

Jeff Holland I know had a great year last year, but was surprised him leaving early just based on a lot of the low grades he got. Really thought another year would on benefited him from draft standpoint. 

Dean was the real head scratcher for this past year, until someone brought up a good point about his past injuries and those guys are on a real tight NFL timeline.

17 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Speaking of 06 players . My favorite .... KING DUNLAP hardly gets in lineup until senior year at Auburn.

----------Plays 8 years in the NFL starting most of his career ---------

Just now, bmartin3228 said:

Speaking of 06 players . My favorite .... KING DUNLAP hardly gets in lineup until senior year at Auburn.

----------Plays 8 years in the NFL starting most of his career ---------

And he lost his starting position during the 2007 season to a freshman, Lee Ziemba

56 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

I tell you who proved me wrong was KJ. I did not think he would have declared early and thought it was a terrible decision last year based on the backs coming out and Kerryon not looking like your typical NFL back. 

I was amazed how well he did this year in the NFL and had one of the better rookie RB year. I ate crow on that , and was happy to do so.  KJ one of those guys that won't wow you at combine but has incredible vision, and knows how to use body extremely well.

Jeff Holland I know had a great year last year, but was surprised him leaving early just based on a lot of the low grades he got. Really thought another year would on benefited him from draft standpoint. 

Dean was the real head scratcher for this past year, until someone brought up a good point about his past injuries and those guys are on a real tight NFL timeline.

KJ was ready. He is built like McFadden. And the thing that makes him a great pro is vision and patience, which are more valuable than to a RB than prototypical size.

Archived