Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

Just now, auburnphan said:

What is the risk?  

Not getting drafted then failing to make the team with a free agent contract.  The guy did not have the most productive year. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What? You wanted him to turn pro? He tweeted that he was returning to Auburn.

WTF was he even announcing he was coming back. No NFL or any semi pro team would have drafted him. Announcing he was coming back? No s***. 

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Maybe it simply means he has spent 4 years in college and it is time to go after his dreams.

I would imagine there's no better way to raise your NFL stock than to spend a year as your offense's #1 target. Darius feels otherwise.

3 minutes ago, aucosby said:

Not getting drafted then failing to make the team with a free agent contract.  The guy did not have the most productive year. 

So what does another year do staying and being a year older for the draft.   There is nothing he can learn from his coach or this offense that is beneficial for him.

He is not gonna learn more routes.

He is not gonna learn how to read defenses

He is not gonna learn how to get off of press coverage.

This system is so simplistic that WR's are completely unprepared for the NFL.  NFL WR's have to read defenses and pending on the coverage there are several differnt routes they may have to run.   We do not do this.

The only thing that Auburn WR's excel st at the next level is blocking, which is huge.

8 minutes ago, aucosby said:

Why specifically do you think he won't get drafted or even get signed as a UFA?

His productivity in a given season doesn't really move the meter much for the NFL. Especially for a WR. The NFL knows that WRs are more dependent upon their teammates (and coaches) than probably any other position for catches. (This, of course, ignores his productivity as a blocker and his ability to run dummy routes and rubs and such, which I admittedly don't know much about.)

So what else? Crowded draft class? Lack of measurables? Poor route running ability? 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Because if used right, he would be the next Jimmy Graham

He doesn’t want to be TE.

He could also be our next great Auburn QB. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why specifically do you think he won't get drafted

Because he doesn’t have very good hands and not much of a route runner. He will be an UDFA.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

JG has the potential to be extremely dangerous and an AU great...

Agreed

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why specifically do you think he won't get drafted or even get signed as a UFA?

His productivity in a given season doesn't really move the meter much for the NFL. Especially for a WR. The NFL knows that WRs are more dependent upon their teammates (and coaches) than probably any other position for catches. (This, of course, ignores his productivity as a blocker and his ability to run dummy routes and rubs and such, which I admittedly don't know much about.)

So what else? Crowded draft class? Lack of measurables? Poor route running ability? 

Think if some of the LSU WR's only got judged by college production, lol

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

He doesn’t need to move anywhere until he goes all out for a career at qb. If it’s apparent that won’t happen, then he can move and focus on what we all feel pretty sure he can do. Probably another year maybe two before that decision needs to be made. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

or even get signed as a UFA?

He didn’t say this. He said he wouldn’t make the team while under the UDFA contract

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Because he doesn’t have very good hands and not much of a route runner. He will be an UDFA.

I think he is more complete of a WR than Coates and Louis were at this point.  If he has his degree, he really has nothing to lose.

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I think he is more complete of a WR than Coates and Louis were at this point.  If he has his degree, he really has nothing to lose.

Except Gus is famous for developing WRs in their 4th year. Think about all the guys who played 3 mediocre seasons before breaking out as seniors and then got drafted high. Throw in a new QB and Slayton is basically turning down a guaranteed contract by making this terrible decision. Not to mention all the other elite WRs going in this draft that I'm sure somebody will name any minute now. 

I hope Schwartz becomes a screen, sweep, AND fly route guy for us next year. I hope Seth is used like a rich man's Darvin Adams. I hate this one role garbagio we've subjected our WRs to.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Except Gus is famous for developing WRs in their 4th year. Think about all the guys who played 3 mediocre seasons before breaking out as seniors and then got drafted high. Throw in a new QB and Slayton is basically turning down a guaranteed contract by making this terrible decision. Not to mention all the other elite WRs going in this draft that I'm sure somebody will name any minute now. 

I was curious, highest i could find him ranked was the #21 receiver in this years draft.  The 3 Ole Miss receivers are all expected to get drafted, 2 in the 1st round. Crazy, just shows you how much the NFL looks at measurables. 

7 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I was curious, highest i could find him ranked was the #21 receiver in this years draft.  The 3 Ole Miss receivers are all expected to get drafted, 2 in the 1st round. Crazy, just shows you how much the NFL looks at measurables. 

Thanks. That would have put him in the 6th round last season. Definitely a precarious position if that holds but I don't see it getting any better for him next season.

I do think there's a decent chance his stock goes up when they put a clock on him. 

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I hope Schwartz becomes a screen, sweep, AND fly route guy for us next year. I hope Seth is used like a rich man's Darvin Adams. I hate this one role garbagio we've subjected our WRs to.

Oh man, I LOVED Darvin Adams. He was my fav! 

5 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I loved how he was a threat over the middle as well as on deep shots

Oh, and if you need a crucial 3rd down conversion he always seemed to make the play. War damn Darvin!

4 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

We haven't had...or maybe not used a possession receiver in the same manner since him.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

We haven't had...or maybe not used a possession receiver in the same manner since him.

Emory Blake was probably closest but talking about the seasons he was here makes everyone sad, sorry guys, I really dropped the ball there...

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Emory Blake was probably closest but talking about the seasons he was here makes everyone sad, sorry guys, I really dropped the ball there...

But that was 5+ years ago. We should be able to talk about one every year.

Archived