Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

They weren’t great receivers in their own right. 

Coates was an absolute stud on the deep ball, but had disappearing hands for more easily catchable balls. I'd take him right now in a heartbeat though. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Both had bad hands and guess they were looking for excuses.   Never learned to catch reliably in the NFL either....so who should they blame?  

All the receivers who could catch better?

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

All the receivers who could catch better?

Lots of them including two or three on the team now.....but same problems in the NFL though Lewis has missed most of his NFL career with injuries.  . JMO but blaming college coaches for problems  ?  C"mon man....Had four years to get better with NFL coaching.   Lewis has been hurt most of his NFL career so no telling what he can do on the big scene but as we remember, he became famous at AU for that tipped catch against Georgia for the game winning TD..  

Slayton might be making a good move with those bowl game catches still in everyone's mind.  He had a great game.   Hope he gets a good draft slot. Not sure what the WR market looks like out there.  Panthers sure could use another couple.  

Would be nice for him to stay but there is plenty of talent available so "next man up".    

Actually Slayton was more diverse this year. Last year seems like all he ran was go routes. This year He had some screens, outs, curls but I didn’t remember any crossing routes from him. 

I only complained that we didn’t throw those go routes to others enough. 

29 minutes ago, alexava said:

Actually Slayton was more diverse this year. Last year seems like all he ran was go routes. This year He had some screens, outs, curls but I didn’t remember any crossing routes from him. 

I only complained that we didn’t throw those go routes to others enough. 

Yeah , I feel like every deep ball that was thrown (know not really everytime) Seth Williams he was coming down with it. Wish he would of had more opportunity this past year. Doesn't have the top end deep threat deep Slayton has but I trust him coming down with ball with DB running step by step with him more times than not. 

I hate to see kids make bad decisions and this is a bad decision by Slayton. He's not NFL ready and not shown or yet had the opportunity to show he's a next level prospect. He would have been much better transferring to a team in a higher octane passing O than ours as opposed to declaring for the draft. Best of luck DS and thank u for all u have given!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

What are you talking about? YOU IN THIS SEVEN TWO

Love ya bro. Hope today wasn't too brutal.

Nah, the scan's easy.  Waiting for the results?  Just praying for best!

5 minutes ago, AubFanCT said:

I hate to see kids make bad decisions and this is a bad decision by Slayton. He's not NFL ready and not shown or yet had the opportunity to show he's a next level prospect. He would have been much better transferring to a team in a higher octane passing O than ours as opposed to declaring for the draft. Best of luck DS and thank u for all u have given!

Maybe but where would that be that he would be guaranteed to be "the man"  ?  and probably would have to sit out a year too ?   

But I agree about doing the NFL thing......good as he looked last week,  the guys dissect his performance over his career and decide whether he fits the NFL.  JMO but not sure he has the speed to just run down the field and catch the ball.  Would be nice for him to get an honest assessment of where he might be drafted before closing out his college career. 

15 minutes ago, AubFanCT said:

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but where would that be that he would be guaranteed to be "the man"  ?  and probably would have to sit out a year too ?   

But I agree about doing the NFL thing......good as he looked last week,  the guys dissect his performance over his career and decide whether he fits the NFL.  JMO but not sure he has the speed to just run down the field and catch the ball.  Would be nice for him to get an honest assessment of where he might be drafted before closing out his college career. 

I agree and I'm not sure of a place he could have transferred to and be the man in a high volume passing O, but jumping to the NFL seems like the worst of his available options.  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Lots of them including two or three on the team now.....but same problems in the NFL though Lewis has missed most of his NFL career with injuries.  . JMO but blaming college coaches for problems  ?  C"mon man....Had four years to get better with NFL coaching.   Lewis has been hurt most of his NFL career so no telling what he can do on the big scene but as we remember, he became famous at AU for that tipped catch against Georgia for the game winning TD..  

Slayton might be making a good move with those bowl game catches still in everyone's mind.  He had a great game.   Hope he gets a good draft slot. Not sure what the WR market looks like out there.  Panthers sure could use another couple.  

Would be nice for him to stay but there is plenty of talent available so "next man up".    

Who is Lewis?

C'mon man. Apparently not famous enough for you to know what his name looked like on his jersey for 4 years.   😂

27 minutes ago, AubFanCT said:

I agree and I'm not sure of a place he could have transferred to and be the man in a high volume passing O, but jumping to the NFL seems like the worst of his available options.  

Needs to get a decent draft slot.  I can see JS leaving with most folks considering him as good pick...but Slayton.?  ...that's probably a new name to most of the mock draft boards....:dunno:

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Who is Lewis?

C'mon man. Apparently not famous enough for you to know what his name looked like on his jersey for 4 years.   😂

You mean Ricardo?    I do spelling by phonics.. .:)   But thanks for the correction......

1 hour ago, AubFanCT said:

It's sad to see this year after year.  DS needs to go have a talk with Bubba Pettway about life in the NFL.  Thanks for your service, Darius and War Eagle.  You'll always be welcomed back to the Plains.  

12 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Give the boy some live, real reps and QB and see what happens. 

Please...... let him have some reps at QB.......  Please

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Y'all making me jealous...

giphy.gif

BRO HUG INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao. You know you are the brodie and fam as well 72!!! WOOOO!!!!!! 

r.gif

10 hours ago, AubFanCT said:

He's a redshirt Jr. He's been at AU 4 years and already graduated. Can't really fault him for wanting to move on once he has his degree.

I honestly don't even know if he was gonna start next year anyways. With Gus calling the plays and loving those jet sweeps, Schwartz was gonna get a lot more PT becasuse he can also be the deep man too with his insane speed.

Slayton made the right choice imo. Unless he wanted to transfer

13 hours ago, meh130 said:

What the NFL looks at are measurables and coachability. You can coach how to read a DB. You cannot coach speed, either a WR has it or they don't.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Both had bad hands and guess they were looking for excuses.   Never learned to catch reliably in the NFL either....so who should they blame?  

So how do schools like bama, LSU and Clemson keep cranking out high end NFL WRs while we don't? 

10 hours ago, gulftiger66 said:

It's sad to see this year after year.  DS needs to go have a talk with Bubba Pettway about life in the NFL.  Thanks for your service, Darius and War Eagle.  You'll always be welcomed back to the Plains.  

Completely different situation. Hard to imagine even considering that comparison. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but not sure he has the speed to just run down the field and catch the ball.

Slayton was Georgia state champion in both the 100 and 200 meter.

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Nah, the scan's easy.  Waiting for the results?  Just praying for best!

I can only imagine.

Ruffle the girls' hair for us a lot this weekend!

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Bash Gus Brigade!! Assemble!!!!

giphy.gif

Doesn't make him wrong Jeff. What's up with you lately bro? You sure seem to be in the defend at all costs brigade as of late. 

15 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The catch by Jashawn Sheffield that made Slayton go pro:

That is a great catch, but I still want to see him at DB.

14 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

D. Craig was the WR coach during Coates and Louis.  We all know he is a great recruiter, but a below average coach.

Kinda like Kodi? Yep.

14 hours ago, meh130 said:

Based on the high school video I have seen, Sandberg is a good passer. Stats wise, Sandberg high school passing performance is far ahead of Gatewood's or Willis'.

Joey Gatewood
8.6 pass attempts per game. 3,216 career passing yards. 61.7% completion rate. 96.4 QB rating.
9.6 rushing carries per game. 3,391 career rushing yards. 7.0 yards per carry.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/joey-gatewood/MJdJCCQpEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Cord Sandberg
16.9 pass attempts per game. 7,848 career passing yards. 72.8% completion rate. 131.7 QB rating.
8.9 rushing carries per game. 2,065 career rushing yards. 4.9 yards per carry.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/cord-sandberg/-ckVwfTxEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Malik Willis
12.0 pass attempts per game. 3,318 career passing yards. 59.3% completion rate. 106.2 QB rating.
6.8 rushing carries per game. 1,725 career rushing yards. 7.7 yards per carry.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/malik-willis/9B9_HSRpEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

MaxPreps does not yet have career stats posted for Bo Nix.

It will be an interesting QB competition, but I would not ignore Sandberg. He has the necessary talent. It may not be developed. He also has maturity, which often matters for QBs. I think he is the wild card in the QB competition.

Of the ones listed, Sandberg was either the only one who played QB full time or for more than one season. Willis played QB only in his senior year of high school and Gatewood shared time with another D1 QB. I can't ever understand why people need to be told that about Gatewood over and over and over. Gatewood shared time at QB with a kid who is now a QB at Boise State. It would of been irresponsible for his coach to only play one when he has 2 D1 QBs on his roster

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Coates and Ricardo did not have the greatest things to say about AU errrr Gus development of WRs and preparing them for the NFL when they were going through the NFL draft process. I doubt that changes here again with Slay. SO just be prepared for some negative articles.

But did anyone stop them from getting outside coaching during the off season?   as much as people like to complain i cant imagine them not being able to contact someone qualified to work with them.  Athletes go to combine prep camps  to help their numbers  why didnt they take the initiative? 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Doesn't make him wrong Jeff. What's up with you lately bro? You sure seem to be in the defend at all costs brigade as of late. 

Doesn’t make Gus tbe bad guy either.  Gus didn’t fail Slayton. Gus has had his system for a while now. Slayton signed up to be the deep threat guy. Can’t bash Gus for that. The only bad decision was for Slayton to go pro rn.

1 minute ago, auskip07 said:

But did anyone stop them from getting outside coaching during the off season?   as much as people like to complain i cant imagine them not being able to contact someone qualified to work with them.  Athletes go to combine prep camps  to help their numbers  why didnt they take the initiative? 

Short answer is Gus. Stidham was the first player Gus allowed to go "get outside help." Marshall and others tried and were told No.

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

Short answer is Gus. Stidham was the first player Gus allowed to go "get outside help." Marshall and others tried and were told No.

That was for QB's   WR shouldnt have had any restrictions. 

Archived