Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Doesn’t make Gus tbe bad guy either.  Gus didn’t fail Slayton. Gus has had his system for a while now. Slayton signed up to be the deep threat guy. Can’t bash Gus for that. The only bad decision was for Slayton to go pro rn.

He didn't say Gus was a bad guy. He said that our WRs who have been drafted haven't had great things to say about their college coaching. THIS IS TRUE. They haven't. It doesn't matter if someone likes Gus or not. It doesn't make Gus a bad guy. It just means the WRs aren't taught much AT ALL during their time here. But anyone who watches Auburn football or plays against Auburn, already knows this. 

"Gus has had his system for a while now. Slayton signed up to be the deep threat guy. Can’t bash Gus for that."

Well first off many thought Slayton would be a CB. With his hands, that's understandable. Look at 247s recruiting page on Slayton. He is listed as a CB. Also now it's now the kids fault they get pigeonholed into only a certain role in the offense? That's a new take brother. That is genuinely the first time I've ever seen anyone lay that at the kids feet. But since "he knew" what he was getting himself into that means that it's his fault that he was only used as the deep threat. Wow. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

He didn't say Gus was a bad guy. He said that our WRs who have been drafted haven't had great things to say about their college coaching. THIS IS TRUE

They said they weren’t prepared. I’m sorry but Gus doesn’t have to apologize to 2* Sammie Coates or Ricardo Louis. If they had the goods, they’d catch fire in the league just like Demaryius Thomas did. 

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It doesn't make Gus a bad guy. It just means the WRs aren't taught much AT ALL during their time here.

They basically know how Gus’s offense is coming in but yet they keep coming in in scores. 

Well first off many thought Slayton would be a CB

And Gus utilized Slayton well at WR. But because Gus couldn’t develop a WR into tbe NFL even though he was originally thought of as a good CB it’s his fault. No. That dog don’t hunt. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

FWIW........ Told Slayton does have his degree and will test and perform off the charts in workouts. Will be drafted pretty high, in the 3 or 4th round. Good move by Slayton if true. 

3rd or 4th? I don't buy that one bit. Just his numbers alone are not that great. That's got to be agents telling him this, so he would leave early...

I feel he is lucky to be drafted by 6th. OFC nothing wrong with that. Just ask Antonio Brown of the Steelers (for now)...

36 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

But did anyone stop them from getting outside coaching during the off season?   as much as people like to complain i cant imagine them not being able to contact someone qualified to work with them.  Athletes go to combine prep camps  to help their numbers  why didnt they take the initiative? 

Are you sure they didn't? 

Are you sure that one prep camp- which the better receivers undoubtedly also did- would be enough for them to catch up with the elite receivers who had been practicing as more complete receivers for 2-4 years?

I just can't imagine that being on different teams that practice and play differently doesn't have a meaningful impact on one's chances at success in the NFL. And when you look at wide receivers in the NFL over the last 10 years, there are certain schools that have had intermittent or even consistent success. We have had none. At some point you have to consider why, especially with how we've recruited the position. 

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So how do schools like bama, LSU and Clemson keep cranking out high end NFL WRs while we don't? 

Because they hire real coaches. We hire elite recruiters or yes men that Gus is familiar with. Prior to being hired at Auburn, Kodi had a year coaching RBs at Samford, a year coaching WR at Middle Tennessee State, an ENTIRE MONTH coaching RBs at Arizona State (but not actually coaching,) then was hired to be our WR coach. 

Bamas prior 2 WR coaches are Mike Locksley who had D1 experience going back to 1996. And Josh Gattis who has D1 coaching experience going back to 2011 and was WR coach for James Franklin from 2012 until leaving Penn State for Bama. 

LSUs current WR coach, Mickey Joseph has over 20 years collegiate coaching. Most not in D1, but college coaching. Granted there was D Craig in there for a year, but the prior WR coach, Tony Ball has over 30 years coaching experience.

Clemsons current WR coach Jeff Scott doesn't have an extensive coaching history, but he has excelled in the history he has. And the prior WR coach was Dabo. And I don't need to explain how qualified he has shown himself to be. 

So while the schools you mentioned hire real, proven coaches in all but one (two if you count DCraigs 1 year as LSU WR coach) instance(s,) we don't.

Kodi is an exceptional recruiter. I can't imagine anyone doing the job hr has as far as getting talent on roster, but coaching leaves a lot to be desired. However even though Jeff will consider it a jab at Gus, I'm not sure Kodi could even do any better in this system. But as far as coaching pedigree goes, Kodi doesn't hold a candle to the rest of those guys. 

20 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Just his numbers alone are not that great.

Are you talking about his measurables or his production at Auburn? Because to the NFL, especially WR, the former means a TON and the latter means a lot less. 

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Because they hire real coaches. We hire elite recruiters or yes men that Gus is familiar with. Prior to being hired at Auburn, Kodi had a year coaching RBs at Stanford, a year coaching WR at Middle Tennessee State, an ENTIRE MONTH coaching RBs at Arizona State (but not actually coaching,) then was hired to be our WR coach. 

LSU has Oeaux, Ensminger, and had Craig. And yes, he put somebody in the league while there. 

If Auburn only hires recruiters, several deserve pink slips. 

@Auburn2Eugene, I'm not sure of the specifics, but it was a bit of a rhetorical question. Whether it's the position coaches or the offense itself, it seems that other schools prepare their WRs and we don't. Could be wrong, but when you look around, it sure seems like there are a couple schools who know something we don't. 

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They said they weren’t prepared. I’m sorry but Gus doesn’t have to apologize to 2* Sammie Coates or Ricardo Louis. If they had the goods, they’d catch fire in the league just like Demaryius Thomas did. 

They basically know how Gus’s offense is coming in but yet they keep coming in in scores. 

And Gus utilized Slayton well at WR. But because Gus couldn’t develop a WR into tbe NFL even though he was originally thought of as a good CB it’s his fault. No. That dog don’t hunt. 

258wmip.jpg

Ok we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm not mad at ya and certainly not trying to fight. 

15 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

D. Craig was the WR coach during Coates and Louis.  We all know he is a great recruiter, but a below average coach.

TAMU Wrs sure looked good to me for most of this past season. I do not think D Craig is the problem here....... Especially down the stretch. They seemed to get better as the season wore on.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

@Auburn2Eugene, I'm not sure of the specifics, but it was a bit of a rhetorical question. Whether it's the position coaches or the offense itself, it seems that other schools prepare their WRs and we don't. Could be wrong, but when you look around, it sure seems like there are a couple schools who know something we don't. 

I know. I just pointed out they as a whole (yes there are 2 questionable ones with Scott and DCraigs 1 year at LSU,) but as a whole, those programs hire proven coaches at the position. We don't, or haven't under Gus.

33 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

FWIW........ Told Slayton does have his degree and will test and perform off the charts in workouts. Will be drafted pretty high, in the 3 or 4th round. Good move by Slayton if true. 

You could say that Gus did well getting a DB drafted in tbe first four rounds as a receiver. Am I right, @Auburn2Eugene

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If Auburn only hires recruiters, several deserve pink slips. 

We certainly have under our current coach.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

258wmip.jpg

Ok we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm not mad at ya and certainly not trying to fight. 

I’m not trying to fight eitber fwiw. But we sink and swim in Gus’s offense. 

Reality is if Gus was walking on water, someone would cry that he’s not swimming with the rest of ‘em.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

You could say that Gus did well getting a DB drafted in tbe first four rounds as a receiver. Am I right, @Auburn2Eugene

I'm not sure why you are keeping on me, I don't hate Gus. I'm not sure why you are insinuating that I do. 

But let's be real, Slaytons measurables are what will get him drafted that high. Certainly not the Gus offense or Kodis coaching.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

TAMU Wrs sure looked good to me for most of this past season. I do not think D Craig is the problem here....... Especially down the stretch. They seemed to get better as the season wore on.

Dameyune Craig was always a good WR coach. FWIW.

I'm not sure why you are keeping on me, I don't hate Gus. I'm not sure why you are insinuating that I do. 

But let's be real, Slaytons measurables are what will get him drafted that high. Certainly not the Gus offense or Kodis coaching.

I sent that before our truce. lol.

we are not fighting though. 

We are discussing.

Can you agree that Gus had a plan for Slayton that was much different than what others wanted and got him drafted if he gets drafted. 

We might as well get used to our offense not being pro football factories.

We have had our QBs, OL, RBs, and WRs criticized for being products in tbe system.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Dameyune Craig was always a good WR coach. FWIW.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you and gwill there.  He was an elite recruiter, but that was about it.  If you recall, under him our WR's were not good at all.  Could not catch any ball thrown their way, and their route trees were even more basic than they are today.  Kodi has done a much better job than DC did with us.

44 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

3rd or 4th? I don't buy that one bit. Just his numbers alone are not that great. That's got to be agents telling him this, so he would leave early...

I feel he is lucky to be drafted by 6th. OFC nothing wrong with that. Just ask Antonio Brown of the Steelers (for now)...

Brown got drafted low because he is an a$$hole, they seem to forget that part when they talk about his draft spot.  He had all kinds of character concerns.  

Slayton is gonna test well and he got his degree.  Go after your dreams young man you have a degree to fall back on.

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I will have to disagree with you there.  He was an elite recruiter, but that was about it.  If you recall, under him our WR's were not good at all.  Could not catch any ball thrown their way, and their route trees were even more basic than they are today.  Kodi has done a much better job than DC did with us.

The system they are in is not designed to develop WR's.   It is what it is.   They spend a bunch of time on blocking which is a good thing.   The system looks more for gimmick players and that is why Gus always recruited athletes and not guys that actually played WR early on.   The gimmick is not meant to be negative, but he only wanted guys who are good at one or two things to focus on.   He has never had the desire to have inner changing parts in his base offense.  His theory is that the less they learn the more they can focus on being great at what he wants them to do. 

In all honesty it really does not matter who the WR coach is, besides for recruiting, because practices are not designed to elevate them to the next level.   What we have seen is an increase in the talent and that is proven by how the freshman stepped right in and played this year, their skills were learned and got them on the field here before they got here from better coaching.  Kodi didn't teafch them in a couple months to be better than the guys he has been teaching for years.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I sent that before our truce. lol.

we are not fighting though. 

We are discussing.

Can you agree that Gus had a plan for Slayton that was much different than what others wanted and got him drafted if he gets drafted. 

We might as well get used to our offense not being pro football factories.

We have had our QBs, OL, RBs, and WRs criticized for being products in tbe system.

Of course. But at the same time..  Can you agree that others who saw him at CB probably had better plans for him? Rather than him being yet another Auburn WR who doesn't exactly have soft hands? Had he played CB he very easily could of been a 1st round pick with his frame, his speed, and let's face it, his instincts.

When 9 out of 10 schools want you on one side of the ball and we want them on another... I mean being completely honest, when Kirby Smart and Nick Saban really want you at DB, and Gus wants you on offense... Smart money is going with the more proven coaches desires for you. I understand Slayton wanted to play offense. But now he has a 3-6 round projection, when had he gone on the defensive side, and things went relatively the same on defense as offense, he could of had a sure 1 projection, even playing defense for us. 

And I don't think anyone wants our offense to be a pro football factory, but having more than 0 to 3 drafted per season would sure be nice. While Gus has been the coach, we have never had more than 3 offensive players taken in 1 draft. That is absurd for supposedly being an offensive guru. Look it up if you must. I did. I'll even give the link

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Auburn_Tigers_in_the_NFL_Draft

Also, since we have been under the Malzahn system, including his time at OC, our offensive players, save for Cam, HAVE been products of the system. And Cam sure benefited from the system, but his is such a rare athlete, he would of excelled almost anywhere. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Another sure sign this staff can not evaluate and coach talent to the next level.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

The system they are in is not designed to develop WR's.   It is what it is.   They spend a bunch of time on blocking which is a good thing.   The system looks more for gimmick players and that is why Gus always recruited athletes and not guys that actually played WR early on.   The gimmick is not meant to be negative, but he only wanted guys who are good at one or two things to focus on.   He has never had the desire to have inner changing parts in his base offense.  His theory is that the less they learn the more they can focus on being great at what he wants them to do. 

In all honesty it really does not matter who the WR coach is, besides for recruiting, because practices are not designed to elevate them to the next level.   What we have seen is an increase in the talent and that is proven by how the freshman stepped right in and played this year, their skills were learned and got them on the field here before they got here from better coaching.  Kodi didn't teafch them in a couple months to be better than the guys he has been teaching for years.

Fantastic post. 

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I will have to respectfully disagree with you and gwill there.  He was an elite recruiter, but that was about it.  If you recall, under him our WR's were not good at all.  Could not catch any ball thrown their way, and their route trees were even more basic than they are today.  Kodi has done a much better job than DC did with us.

I'm torn on the whole DCraig thing. There will always be a special place in my heart for him. He earned that with his play. 

But while you are right, DCraigs WRs never were exceptional, and had issues catching the ball, do you really think he taught them to NOT catch the ball? That's absurd. The type of players we recruited early on had much more to do with that than DCraig. The one REAL talented true WR Craig coached was Duke. And he didn't have his head in straight.

So I'm not sure what to make of DCraig, which is the reason I called him questionable in my comment. 

And your last statement, Kodi has done much better than DC did proves the point of Kodi having actual true WRs, multiple of them to work with. Something DCraig had 1 season of, with 1 true WR. 

Archived