Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Linayus said:

For whatever reason, I thought Slayton was done this season anyway. Didn't even realize he had another year of eligibility. We should be fine with his departure unless his replacement(s) suck at blocking on the perimeter. IMHO, losing Davis is a bigger blow to our offense and that was unavoidable.

Schwartz/Stove will likely be our screen guys. Hastings will resume his role in the slot. Seth will take one outside spot but who do we think grabs the other side? Pickens? That's definitely a lot of playmakers at WR!

Losing Davis was avoidable.  He should have been a redshirt his freshmen year.  Coaches played him 8 games for zero catches and 2 rushes.  What a waste.    

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the top 25 WRs for the coming draft....SEC not well represented....unless you are Ole Miss.(3) or USCe (2)   and in 2018 looks like 4 from SEC in top 25 drafted so SEC does not seem to be a hot bed of WRs.  Maybe because there were so few good passing QBs last year?    

www.draftutopia.com/widereceiverrankings.htm

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That's got to be agents telling him this, so he would leave early

Don't think so. Agents don't make much of mid to late rounders.

2 hours ago, aublaise said:

Losing Davis was avoidable.  He should have been a redshirt his freshmen year.  Coaches played him 8 games for zero catches and 2 rushes.  What a waste.    

What makes you think he would have stayed an extra year under that circumstance? He would have just declared after last year's record-breaking season.  Who the hell stays 5 years nowadays? 

The UGA fan base is also having the same reaction with their exodus of offensive players today.  6 players today alone have announced either transferring or declaring for the draft early.  Man fans are saying they are declaring too early because they don’t like the offensive scheme.  

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The UGA fan base is also having the same reaction with their exodus of offensive players today.  6 players today alone have announced either transferring or declaring for the draft early.  Man fans are saying they are declaring too early because they don’t like the offensive scheme.  

May be wishful thinking on my part, but I would love for a bit of turmoil to swirl in dawg nation. I read a post on their fan forum that says they should go hard after Pickens.

8 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Ryan Davis had natural catching ability.  That was shown his sophomore year, he just did not have the opportunity.    He was a composite 4* at .9235 and the 21 st WR in the country so he was not a lower ranked player either.

The pissing match that went public between DC and Gus is what kept him out for a year.   There are some things in the coaching world you just do not do.

DC left Auburn and went to LSU the next day. Orgeron fired him and made a snide remark about it after he transitioned from interim to permanent hc. Then everyone thought he was hired by Taggard at Oregon but he ran back to Tallahassee when he wasn’t offered the OC job. 

I don’t think Gus had anything to do with him sitting out that year.

Then Dameyune started that damn fight after the Texas anm LSU game showing his ass towards the Cookie Monster. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

DC left Auburn and went to LSU the next day. Orgeron fired him and made a snide remark about it after he transitioned from interim to permanent hc. Then everyone thought he was hired by Taggard at Oregon but he ran back to Tallahassee when he wasn’t offered the OC job. 

Then Dameyune started that damn fight after the Texas anm LSU game showing his ass towards the Cookie Monster. 

Cookie Monster? Do tell

5 hours ago, metafour said:

What makes you think he would have stayed an extra year under that circumstance? He would have just declared after last year's record-breaking season.  Who the hell stays 5 years nowadays? 

Correction, I should have stated that it was not unavoidable.  If he was a redshirt his first year he would have had the option to stay for his 5th year like Slayton has the option.  Davis actually did have the option to leave last year as all players can leave after their third year whether or not they redshirt.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Your memory is different than mine.   He left Auburn to go to LSU, Coach O fired him and then the only job he could find was as an off the field coaching job at FSU as an Offensive Quality Control Assistant.  Not a single coach offered him an on field job including Jimbo.  And Gus did not have anything to do with him not finding one, his actions simply may have hurt his chances or resulting in him having to take a step backwards.  It happens a lot, bama has done that several times with coaches that screw up, break ncaa rules, etc.

17 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Your memory is different than mine.   He left Auburn to go to LSU, Coach O fired him and then the only job he could find was as an off the field coaching job at FSU as an Offensive Quality Control Assistant.  Not a single coach offered him an on field job including Jimbo.  And Gus did not have anything to do with him not finding one, his actions simply may have hurt his chances or resulting in him having to take a step backwards.  It happens a lot, bama has done that several times with coaches that screw up, break ncaa rules, etc.

Many people thought he was hired at Oregon(ducks) but turned it down because it was not for the OC. Besides that we mostly remember it the same. 

8 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Correction...not Stanford...was Samford

Yeah that's clearly what I meant. I don't write Samford much. My phone autocorrected on me. I had to double click Samford this time. It tried to change it to Stanford both times. Good looking out

14 hours ago, keesler said:

Some of us (ME) have a hard time settling and an even more difficult time "getting used to" certain aspects of this system.

I have a difficult time settling for an average 4 losses a season, and I don't know that I'll ever find a way of "getting used to" this offense's lack of producing even one single offensive player in the 1st rnd of the draft since Cam Newton was here - it's been nearly a freakin decade for crying out loud. 

When the system can't produce at a level equal to the salary level, then criticism will ensue.  I'm not asking for a pro football factory (it would be nice) but when it can't produce a 1st rounder after years of recruiting top 10 level talent, then the system needs upgrading. 

This is freakin AUBURN - formerly known as RBU - there's a historical sense of pride that is slowly diminishing the longer this operating system functions.

While I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this post, I loved it as far as clicking on your post, and I fully agree with EVERYTHING you said, just a small correction, we have had an offensive player drafted in the 1st round since Cam, but not long after. Cam was drafted #1 overall in the 2011 NFL draft. Greg Robinson was drafted #2 overall in the 2014 NFL draft. 

But your point STILL remains. This isn't a disagreement AT ALL. I just had to give GRob his due. He was a monster for us. Doesn't matter that he didn't live up to his 1st round status, he was drafted #2 overall, after Cam.

Re: Slayton....saw in piece this morning that he does not have his degree so GT option was not available to him;.   Mother said he would get his degree on -line which I hope is the case.....but considering that situation, seems like this is more of gamble on his part.   

Anyway...good piece in al.com this morning for any who want to look....here is part of it...discussion with his mother. 

She said that wasn’t necessarily the deciding factor in why he left. Young WRs like Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz was not the make-or-break reason for staying or going.

“Auburn is a good football program," Slayton. "There’s no doubt about that. So that wasn’t necessarily a deciding decision. I think it was more of him thinking about himself as far as his body and what he felt was best for him, period.”

Pamela said it was hard to leave the school, with everyone in the family having developed strong relationships there. The family had been Auburn fans since before Darius went there — he had a cousin who played at Auburn.

They credit Auburn with getting Slayton to the point where he could declare for the Draft, but acknowledge it was hard to pass up a chance at a senior season, as well as college degree — which Pamela said he’ll get later on through online courses.

Slayton probably won’t go into the Draft process as someone that projects highly, or even at all, on some NFL Draft boards. The family is hoping he’ll get an invite to the NFL Combine.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Re: Slayton....saw in piece this morning that he does not have his degree so GT option was not available to him;.   Mother said he would get his degree on -line which I hope is the case.....but considering that situation, seems like this is more of gamble on his part.   

Anyway...good piece in al.com this morning for any who want to look....here is part of it...discussion with his mother. 

She said that wasn’t necessarily the deciding factor in why he left. Young WRs like Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz was not the make-or-break reason for staying or going.

“Auburn is a good football program," Slayton. "There’s no doubt about that. So that wasn’t necessarily a deciding decision. I think it was more of him thinking about himself as far as his body and what he felt was best for him, period.”

Pamela said it was hard to leave the school, with everyone in the family having developed strong relationships there. The family had been Auburn fans since before Darius went there — he had a cousin who played at Auburn.

They credit Auburn with getting Slayton to the point where he could declare for the Draft, but acknowledge it was hard to pass up a chance at a senior season, as well as college degree — which Pamela said he’ll get later on through online courses.

Slayton probably won’t go into the Draft process as someone that projects highly, or even at all, on some NFL Draft boards. The family is hoping he’ll get an invite to the NFL Combine.

It was an odd decision 

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

It was an odd decision 

Agree but lots of factors probably were involved...new and unknown QB, a good season this year, hot young talent possibly taking away "targets" for him.    Not having his degree yet probably limited his options....to just  "stay or go".     Time will tell if this is a good idea but I'm having my doubts...

I see nothing in slayton s announcement that is negative toward the school or coaches, which is a good thing. Reads to me that he feels it is risky (from a staying healthy standpoint ). I could be wrong. I wish him much success. I’m glad he had that last very successful game in an Auburn uniform. War Eagle Darius.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Agree but lots of factors probably were involved...new and unknown QB, a good season this year, hot young talent possibly taking away "targets" for him.    Not having his degree yet probably limited his options....to just  "stay or go".     Time will tell if this is a good idea but I'm having my doubts...

He did not have a good season. He had a great first half against Purdue. 

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

He did not have a good season. He had a great first half against Purdue. 

I think he had an OK season but he and JS were often on different pages of the play book.   JMO but he would have been better off if he could have gotten himself into position to go GT. if he had doubts about his future at AU.    He just seems to be betting an awful lot on this decision. Hope it works out.  

Not sure what the rules are these days if he were to change his mind after an JFL assessment.

Good luck to Slayton. He had many more overthrown balls this year than last that didn’t give him a chance and more balls were overthrown to him than he had drops. I think he can be a very good NFL receiver. 

Archived