Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

12 hours ago, alexava said:

Did he change his mind?

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

2828096.jpeg

If Prince Tega Wanogho can find the foot this fits before midnight on February 6th we will have ourselves another football player. Will it belong to an O lineman, a linebacker, a running back or someone else? Could this lead to a fairy tale ending for the Tigers?

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Reads to me that he feels it is risky (from a staying healthy standpoint ). 

What can be more risky than an UDFA which is where be could be headed? Maybe injury and UDFA and that is it...He wasn’t going to be a first round pick or anything but he still had a lot to gain by either coming back or grad transferring. 

18 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I see nothing in slayton s announcement that is negative toward the school or coaches

I agree. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

What can be more risky than an UDFA which is where be could be headed? Maybe injury and UDFA and that is it...He wasn’t going to be a first round pick or anything but he still had a lot to gain by either coming back or grad transferring. 

I agree. 

And staying another year w/ a totally inexperienced QB(barring a transfer coming in), and possibly his stats would be even less appealing, w/ a QB that may not be a very accurate passer, IMO would be riskier.

All he has to do is just show the bowl tape, and see his catches, and as his mom said, he will have good skills readings at the combines w/ his speed and other skills and show well. They know it will be risky, but I don't think any riskier than him getting hurt at AU or not getting the ball much.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

any riskier than him getting hurt at AU or not getting the ball much.

Maybe but he could pull a hammy in the combines and no matter how much he is targeted next year, JMO he is no worse off then now where is best hope is UDFA....and he could finish his degree with assistance from AU.    Seems like he is counting on combine performance more than his stats to impress the pros.

Will be interesting to see what happens but as for AU, I don't think we are much worse off....some good talent (better maybe?) coming behind him.  Losing Tega would be a much more significant issue. 

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And staying another year w/ a totally inexperienced QB(barring a transfer coming in), and possibly his stats would be even less appealing, w/ a QB that may not be a very accurate passer, IMO would be riskier.

Again, leaving as potentially an UDFA this year is not much different than potentially leaving as an UDFA next year, if that’s the case. You seem to ignore, also, that the option of grad transfer is readily available if he doesn’t think Auburn can adequately help him raise his stock.

The only correct opinion at this point I know is this is His decision to make. Slayton knows his physical, mental, personal or family situation much better than any of us from the outside looking in. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Again, leaving as potentially an UDFA this year is not much different than potentially leaving as an UDFA next year, if that’s the case. You seem to ignore, also, that the option of grad transfer is readily available if he doesn’t think Auburn can adequately help him raise his stock.

He does not have his degree yet according to a comment from his mother in a piece on al.com.   So would have to skip this year or something to qualify for grad transfer.   Hoping maybe he changes his mind but have not reason to think so once he's gone public with the decision. 

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He does not have his degree yet according to a comment from his mother in a piece on al.com.   So would have to skip this year or something to qualify for grad transfer.   Hoping maybe he changes his mind but have not reason to think so once he's gone public with the decision. 

He can always come back and get his degree.  I believe AU offers assistance to former players who leave early so they can finish their education.  

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

He can always come back and get his degree.  I believe AU offers assistance to former players who leave early so they can finish their education.  

True….and some actually do it.  

But my comment was made in response to someone else who suggested he could GT....point was that he is not eligible for GT this year so that is not an option.

5 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

What kind of insurance policies are available for players if they stay? 

aflac-duck-dancing-gif.gif

23 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Well, considering we open with Ducks...

Policy expired

eat duck.gif

6 hours ago, creed said:

The only correct opinion at this point I know is this is His decision to make. Slayton   unknown HS prospect knows his physical, mental, personal or family situation much better than any of us from the outside looking in. 

That's true...... but if that's to be the standard on this board to generate discussion,   nobody should ever question which school any HS prospects selects or why he makes his decision....thus  we should never voice the opinion that the kid might be making a mistake?  :dunno:

As for "correct opinions", lots of folks on the site have observed what the world of college and NFL football is like and have seen what has happened to other guys in similar situations....and I can't see problems with expressing them.  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

aflac-duck-dancing-gif.gif

So I’m guessing I asked a dumb question?? Won’t be the last (or the first for that matter).  I usually come here to obtain information but am challenged as it relates to contributing anything useful. I’m just a plain old Auburn fan. (And yes old and not ole😬)

39 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

...but am challenged as it relates to contributing anything useful.

You and me both

On 1/5/2019 at 9:23 PM, AU80cruiser said:

Could be saying Slayton will be a flop? Not sure what that picture means.

I post that picture when I see people who have said al.com is a horrible site that will do their absolute best to hurt Auburn in any way possible then turn around and use al.com as a reliable source. 

Either al.com is a reliable source, or they are not. Picking and choosing when it's reliable because it fits a narrative is a prime example of a flip flop. Thus my picture of a flip flop.

23 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

What kind of insurance policies are available for players if they stay? And is the school able to pay those?

The school can pay for them. Here is an article about insurance policies on players. 

Link

College football insurance policies are big -- but complex -- business
ByAug 17, 2016, 3:00 PM ET
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Sources revealed Wednesday that Clemson's Deshaun Watson?has taken out? two insurance policies against a career-ending injury: a $5 million total disability policy and a $5 million loss of value policy.

The reality is, players rarely end up receiving a payout, even after they've sustained an injury. And when they do get paid, it's still unclear whether the IRS has dibs on a cut of the money.

Here's a primer on how these policies work:

What is a total disability policy?

It protects a player should he become unable to play football again because of an injury. This covers an injury on or off the field, usually from the time a player signs the policy until the following football season. The only reason something wouldn't be covered is if there's a pre-existing injury; the insurer might specify in the policy that the player would not be covered if the same injury occurs again.

A player can attempt to come back from an injury and still collect, but in general, policies won't pay out if he's able to play in more than four games following the injury.

A player can't just decide that he can't play. A doctor, sometimes one from the player's side and one from the insurer's side, must agree that is the case.

What is a loss of value policy?

It is an attachment to the disability policy. It projects where a player is supposed to go in the draft and then provides for a payment up to a specific amount, should the player fall in the draft order because of an injury.

A player can get paid a small amount if he doesn't slip far, or the whole amount, as Ifo Ekpre-Olomu received when he was projected to be a first-round pick and an injury caused him to slip to the seventh round. Someone who didn't collect in this year's draft was Myles Jack, who fell to the 36th overall pick, but only would have started to collect money at Pick 45.

The loss of value must be associated with an injury. There's no coverage for falling in the draft due to other issues. ?

What do these policies cost?

A rule of thumb is about $10,000 for every $1 million in coverage. Previously, the NCAAhelped secure a loan for the premium, which would be paid by the player's family, but a couple of years ago, that changed when it was discovered that schools were allowed to take out the policies themselves.

Sources said that Clemson took out a policy for Watson through International Specialty Insurance, which has established itself as the leader in the space, especially when it comes to offering loss of value.

How often do players collect?

Not too often on total disability. It has happened only a handful of times in the past 15 years. Loss of value collection has occurred more often. Players who have collected over the years include Ekpre-Olomu and Jaylon Smith, who will collect a lump sum of $900,000 after slipping in this year's draft.

In March 2015, USC wide receiver Marqise Leesued his insurer, Lloyd's of London, when he slipped in the 2014 draft, claiming he was owed $4.5 million. But Lloyd's argued that at the time he signed his policy, Lee had an injury that he didn't disclose. The two sides agreed to settle the case for an undisclosed amount this May.

And in case you're wondering, when there is a payout, all of the money goes to the player. None of it goes to the school.

When a player collects, is it tax free?

When a player pays for a premium up front or takes out a loan to pay it, it is tax free. When the school pays for the premium, it's not yet clear. The IRS hasn't formally ruled on whether taxes have to be taken out of the lump sum collected because the player didn't pay for the premium to begin with.

Why do schools pay?

This is now a good way for a school to keep a player who might be scared to return. In other words, the school is saying, if you hurt yourself, we've got your back.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

What is a total disability policy?

It protects a player should he become unable to play football again because of an injury. This covers an injury on or off the field, usually from the time a player signs the policy until the following football season. The only reason something wouldn't be covered is if there's a pre-existing injury; the insurer might specify in the policy that the player would not be covered if the same injury occurs again.

A player can attempt to come back from an injury and still collect, but in general, policies won't pay out if he's able to play in more than four games following the injury.  A player can't just decide that he can't play. A doctor, sometimes one from the player's side and one from the insurer's side, must agree that is the case.

When a player collects, is it tax free?

When a player pays for a premium up front or takes out a loan to pay it, it is tax free. When the school pays for the premium, it's not yet clear. The IRS hasn't formally ruled on whether taxes have to be taken out of the lump sum collected because the player didn't pay for the premium to begin with.

Not trying to be nitpicky but this is what I do for a living.  In regards to disability policies, it depends on if it is an any-occupational or own-occupational disability policy.  Own pays the benefit if you are disabled and can still work another job in any field.  Any only pays the benefit if you cannot work any job within reason.  And with this you can only get up to 80% maximum of your salary, but it is usually 60% unless you purchase a gap policy to reach 80%.  There are a few loopholes but they would not apply here.

When a player collects, it is not income-tax free.

26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Tega returning is big. Just need Marlon to come back now.

Expect his announcement soon

Marlon is back! I'd say we survived the pro-purge better than expected. It sucks Slayton left, but he is the "random" turner of the year. Getting Brown, Tega, and Marlon all back is huge!!!

Matt Miller's newest player rankings:

Stidham: #5 QB

Slayton: #12 WR (WHAT?!?? He's going undrafted for sure!)

Dean: Not ranked among 15 CB's

Archived