Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Matt Miller's newest player rankings:

Stidham: #5 QB

Slayton: #12 WR (WHAT?!?? He's going undrafted for sure!)

Dean: Not ranked among 15 CB's

To be fair, draft expert rankings on Jan. 8th mean absolutely nothing. A lot of guys haven't even declared yet. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUght2win said:

To be fair, draft expert rankings on Jan. 8th mean absolutely nothing. A lot of guys haven't even declared yet. 

The season is entirely over; how many players do you think are still contemplating on declaring LOL? Most guys are already in.  What are you trying to suggest, that there is a hoard of receivers that for some reason haven't declared yet? 

Slayton will probably go a lot higher than most here expect.  He will test through the roof.  Ricardo Louis went in the 4th round and he wasn't as athletic, or as good as Slayton.

14 minutes ago, metafour said:

The season is entirely over; how many players do you think are still contemplating on declaring LOL? Most guys are already in.  What are you trying to suggest, that there is a hoard of receivers that for some reason haven't declared yet? 

Slayton will probably go a lot higher than most here expect.  He will test through the roof.  Ricardo Louis went in the 4th round and he wasn't as athletic, or as good as Slayton.

Yes, I am suggesting there are a lot of people who haven't declared yet.

I'm also suggesting the senior bowl hasn't happened yet. I'm also suggesting the combine hasn't happened yet. I'm also suggesting draft experts don't know anything.

Auburn now has a terrible rep for developing NFL ready receivers. I would be surprised if Slayton goes before round 5. Hope I am wrong.

15 minutes ago, metafour said:

I'm'a rip some asses around here when it happens, too. 

To be fair, there's no reason Auburn fans should be particularly intelligent about NFL WRs. Problem is, Auburn fans are super ignorant about NFL potential, period. We go through this every year. Every kid who comes out "early" is an idiot. 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To be fair, there's no reason Auburn fans should be particularly intelligent about NFL WRs. Problem is, Auburn fans are super ignorant about NFL potential, period. We go through this every year. Every kid who comes out "early" is an idiot. 

Holland though def hurt. Dude is a stud and his measurables were never going to improve but him going undrafted was a bitter pill to swallow. If he came back and had another stud season he would of at least been a 3rd - 5th round pick I bet. Jamel Dean and Slayton will test through the roof like you said and will be drafted higher than everyone thinks.

25 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'm also suggesting the senior bowl hasn't happened yet. I'm also suggesting the combine hasn't happened yet. I'm also suggesting draft experts don't know anything.

Auburn now has a terrible rep for developing NFL ready receivers. I would be surprised if Slayton goes before round 5. Hope I am wrong.

Auburn has the worst track record of ANY Sec all time historically when it comes to even college talent at WR. We have 2 WRs EVER in our programs history get 1k yards in a season. It is freaking embarrassing how bad our history is with WRs. How long have we been playing football again? Putrid. I am tired of being "rb U" That obviously has not helped us at all in crutin when it comes to getting elite level RBs. The game is all about the QB and WRs now. We need to do a much better job of developing our talent there. I won't ask for Gus to do this since we all know he can't and is incapable of doing so. I just ask for the next coach to be much much much better at it.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Holland though def hurt. Dude is a stud and his measurables were never going to improve but him going undrafted was a bitter pill to swallow. If he came back and had another stud season he would of at least been a 3rd - 5th round pick I bet. Jamel Dean and Slayton will test through the roof like you said and will be drafted higher than everyone thinks.

Yeah. Holland is a sticking point in my theory. I stuck up for him going. I was wrong. Looks like his story might end up a happy one after all, but as @mcgufcm can lay out in very detailed terms, he will never make up the money that he forfeited by going undrafted instead of in the middle rounds. 

By the way, I'm including myself when I say that Auburn fans are ignorant about the draft. I have barely begun to learn about it. Which is why I don't go around blindly crapping on our players who declare early. 

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My view has always been if you come out early and you aren't drafted in the top 3 rounds, you made a mistake. Because just to be drafted at all means you have immense talent. If you're a 4-7 round guy, that means you just weren't polished as much as they'd like to see and you should have stuck in college to work on yourself. Sure, some guys just peak and are what they are, and were NEVER going to be a top 3 round kind of guy. But if that's the case, stay in school, get your degree, and hone yourself as much as possible before leaving. A guy like Jeff Holland made a big mistake. He could have been a top 3 round guy. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

My view has always been if you come out early and you aren't drafted in the top 3 rounds, you made a mistake. Because just to be drafted at all means you have immense talent. If you're a 4-7 round guy, that means you just weren't polished as much as they'd like to see and you should have stuck in college to work on yourself. Sure, some guys just peak and are what they are, and were NEVER going to be a top 3 round kind of guy. But if that's the case, stay in school, get your degree, and hone yourself as much as possible before leaving. A guy like Jeff Holland made a big mistake. He could have been a top 3 round guy. 

I think that's an overly simplistic way of looking at it.

The one who proved me wrong in coming out early was Barber!

Something that just struck me. In all the discussion and celebrating about all the guys coming back, I think I saw one single mention of somebody wishing that Stidham would come back. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Something that just struck me. In all the discussion and celebrating about all the guys coming back, I think I saw one single mention of somebody wishing that Stidham would come back. 

I think it was clear as day what Stidham could of been all year vs Purdue IF HE HAD THE TIME TO THROW most of the season like he did in that game. All we needed was to play a bunch of 2 and 3 star DL so our putrid OL could block better! lol. This season really soured a lot of people on him and yah some of it was def his fault by how he still does not know how to climb in the pocket. SOMETHING A TRUE FRESHMEN looked like a NFL QB doing last night. He thinks this is high school somehow EVERY TIME he gets pressure and just bails out of the pocket and trys to run around the edge like he can still out run dudes. He never ever learned from his mistakes of NO. You are not outrunning a sec defense around the edge. He never got better at throwing on the run either. He NEEDED a clean pocket and did not get it. I think people will grow to appreciate him more as the years goes by. He had a hose and could really spin the football.

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

And would this statement be based off of anything factual, or just you pulling a wild guess out of your rear? Players typically declare within a week or so of their final game.  No one else is still playing, if you haven't gotten the memo.  ALL of our players have either declared, or announced their return.  That case will be similar for virtually every school except the two that just played last night.  Do you get what I'm saying? The vast majority of players who were going to declare, have already done so.

Okay, so the Senior Bowl and Combine haven't happened yet, and he's made #12 on a ranking despite the fact that the Combine will HELP a player like Slayton who played in a bad offense (thus his film is spotty) but actually has elite athleticism.  So what are you suggesting here, that he'll go to the Combine, test through the roof, and his stock will drop as a result for some reason? What you just described actually helps his case, it doesn't hurt it.

I love the last bit there BTW.  Draft experts don't know anything, but what? You do? Mike Mayock was a "draft expert" and he just got named GM of the Raiders, they "know" more than you think.  Slayton didn't put up All-SEC stats and is therefore fairly invisible from a national perspective, so when a non "Auburn biased" "draft expert" actually ranks him kind of high, you should probably stop and consider why he is doing so.

Buddy, NFL teams have known for a long time now that this is a terrible offense for receivers.  Its why no one was fooled by Darvin Adams or Emory Blake despite both putting up "stats" that suggested they should have been drafted.  Both Sammie Coates and Ricardo Louis came after Adams and Blake and they went in the 3rd and 4th round off of the same athletic upside that Slayton possesses.  Actually, I'd suggest that Slayton is much less rigid/stiff than those two which helps in terms of how much he can realistically improve in terms of route running.  Both of those two also dropped more balls.  Yeah, the stigma against Auburn receivers is obvious; but athletes will always get drafted into the NFL regardless of how many of the same types failed before them.  No one here is suggesting that Slayton is a 1st round receiver; but if he tests as well as some are suggesting (4.3's at 6'2 with easy LONG speed) then him going in the 3rd round is a hell of a lot more likely than it is that he goes undrafted which is what the majority of clueless "NFL experts" on here are suggesting.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think that's an overly simplistic way of looking at it.

How so? If you're a 4-7 round guy you're really looking at an uphill battle for your career. A huge percentage of those guys are out of the league in a couple of years. Stay in college for one more season of prep and a degree vs. clawing just to make a roster. Hell, Sammie Coates is already just barely hanging on after being a 3rd round guy a few years ago, and Ricardo's future is very much in doubt as well. 

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I agree. 

1 minute ago, metafour said:

So what are you suggesting here, that he'll go to the Combine, test through the roof, and his stock will drop as a result for some reason? 

Is it for sure that Slayton will go to the NFL Combine. 

11 minutes ago, metafour said:

And would this statement be based off of anything factual, or just you pulling a wild guess out of your rear? Players typically declare within a week or so of their final game.  No one else is still playing, if you haven't gotten the memo.  ALL of our players have either declared, or announced their return.  That case will be similar for virtually every school except the two that just played last night.  Do you get what I'm saying? The vast majority of players who were going to declare, have already done so.

Okay, so the Senior Bowl and Combine haven't happened yet, and he's made #12 on a ranking despite the fact that the Combine will HELP a player like Slayton who played in a bad offense (thus his film is spotty) but actually has elite athleticism.  So what are you suggesting here, that he'll go to the Combine, test through the roof, and his stock will drop as a result for some reason? What you just described actually helps his case, it doesn't hurt it.

I love the last bit there BTW.  Draft experts don't know anything, but what? You do? Mike Mayock was a "draft expert" and he just got named GM of the Raiders, they "know" more than you think.  Slayton didn't put up All-SEC stats and is therefore fairly invisible from a national perspective, so when a non "Auburn biased" "draft expert" actually ranks him kind of high, you should probably stop and consider why he is doing so.

Buddy, NFL teams have known for a long time now that this is a terrible offense for receivers.  Its why no one was fooled by Darvin Adams or Emory Blake despite both putting up "stats" that suggested they should have been drafted.  Both Sammie Coates and Ricardo Louis came after Adams and Blake and they went in the 3rd and 4th round off of the same athletic upside that Slayton possesses.  Actually, I'd suggest that Slayton is much less rigid/stiff than those two which helps in terms of how much he can realistically improve in terms of route running.  Both of those two also dropped more balls.  Yeah, the stigma against Auburn receivers is obvious; but athletes will always get drafted into the NFL regardless of how many of the same types failed before them.  No one here is suggesting that Slayton is a 1st round receiver; but if he tests as well as some are suggesting (4.3's at 6'2 with easy LONG speed) then him going in the 3rd round is a hell of a lot more likely than it is that he goes undrafted which is what the majority of clueless "NFL experts" on here are suggesting.

Yeesh. You do realize that we, the Auburn University Tigers, had players still deciding as of AN HOUR AGO. Javaris Davis still hasn't made a decision. None of the Alabama players or Clemson players have. Dwayne Haskins just declared yesterday. You don't know what you're talking about in this regard. Players have until the 14th.

The bottomline on Slay is he is an elite athlete with not great hands. The combine is going to show this. It isn't just the bench press and 40 times, it's also route running. The NFL doesn't draft pure athletes. They draft guys who are great at their craft. I love Slayton, but he makes a ton of chest-catches and has trouble hauling in balls that require high-pointing or mid-air adjustment. The guy is kind of stiff in the shoulders and elbows. Watch OBJ's highlights. He is so great because he can bend and move like stretch armstrong, catch like Rice, but still has elite athletic ability. Same goes for Antonio Brown or Fitzgerald or any great NFL receiver.

Slayton is an NFL-level athlete. But he clearly does not have an NFL-level mastery of the craft yet. Could have used a year to refine his hands and become more fluid. Those are things that you CAN improve in a year's time.

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn has the worst track record of ANY Sec all time historically when it comes to even college talent at WR.

I think LSU might have us beat.  Until a few years ago we didn’t really have elite WR’s out of high school.  I think before the 2016 class our last elite WR was DeAngelo Benton.  LSU has always had 1st round talent and never did anything with them, ever.  Why they keep wanting to go to LSU is beyond me.  

Just now, AUght2win said:

Javaris Davis still hasn't made a decision.

He just made an announcement to return. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Is it for sure that Slayton will go to the NFL Combine. 

There were 44 receivers invited last year.  I understand that Auburn fans have this fetish of crapping on every player that dares to leave early, but I would be VERY surprised if Slayton, a player that NFL teams will already know is a top-level athlete, isn't among ~40 or so receivers that gets invited.

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think LSU might have us beat.  Until a few years ago we didn’t really have elite WR’s out of high school.  I think before the 2016 class our last elite WR was DeAngelo Benton.  LSU has always had 1st round talent and never did anything with them, ever.  Why they keep wanting to go to LSU is beyond me.  

Jarvis Landry and Odell were both 1k yard WRs their junior year at LSU. We had Ronny Daniels get 1k in 99 and Beasley in the 70's. That is it. Lsu has had plenty of 1k yard WRs. They just always seemed to be better NFL players than college WRs.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You know I love you man but what!?!? They have put wide receivers in the NFL on the regular going all the way back to Dwayne Bowe.

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

How so? If you're a 4-7 round guy you're really looking at an uphill battle for your career. A huge percentage of those guys are out of the league in a couple of years. Stay in college for one more season of prep and a degree vs. clawing just to make a roster. Hell, Sammie Coates is already just barely hanging on after being a 3rd round guy a few years ago, and Ricardo's future is very much in doubt as well. 

And you think another year with Gus would have improved their ability to play football in the NFL?

Also, what if the following years class has way more guys playing your position? What if you just started a family and you have no financial safety net? What if your grandmother doesn't have much time left? I'm just making stuff up but these are people with lives and everyone has a lot going on that leads to the decisions that they make. I'm just not sure that you're considering that.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

What LOL? LSU has a strong history with receivers and the NFL.  Since 2010 alone:

Brandon LaFell: 3rd round

Rueben Randle: 2nd round

Odell Beckham Jr: 1st round

Jarvis Landry: 2nd round

DJ Chark: 2nd round

That is 5 guys in 9 years, and 4 of them were drafted within the first 2 rounds.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Jarvis Landry and Odell were both 1k yard WRs their junior year at LSU. We had Ronny Daniels get 1k in 99 and Beasley i the 70's. That is it. Lsu has had plenty of 1k yard WRs. They just always seemed to be better NFL players than college WRs.

That is fair.  But they have had more go into the NFL than that.  Don’t get me wrong, we do not have a good track record either.  I am not trying to deflect as you are 100% right in what you say.  But I hope that changes in 2019.  

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know I love you man but what!?!? They have put wide receivers in the NFL on the regular going all the way back to Dwayne Bowe.

Oh I think you and @metafour misread my post.  That’s what I was saying, is LSU is a hotbed for NFL WR talent in the draft every year.  So I agree with what you said.  But those receivers during their tenure at LSU don’t do much as LSU likes to run the ball.  I suppose I didn’t convey my point very well as there are multiple people quoting that post.  I hope this clears my original post up.

Archived