Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think it was clear as day what Stidham could of been all year vs Purdue IF HE HAD THE TIME TO THROW most of the season like he did in that game. All we needed was to play a bunch of 2 and 3 star DL so our putrid OL could block better! lol. This season really soured a lot of people on him and yah some of it was def his fault by how he still does not know how to climb in the pocket. SOMETHING A TRUE FRESHMEN looked like a NFL QB doing last night. He thinks this is high school somehow EVERY TIME he gets pressure and just bails out of the pocket and trys to run around the edge like he can still out run dudes. He never ever learned from his mistakes of NO. You are not outrunning a sec defense around the edge. He never got better at throwing on the run either. He NEEDED a clean pocket and did not get it. I think people will grow to appreciate him more as the years goes by. He had a hose and could really spin the football.

Glad that you brought up last night. It's killing me today how everyone is saying that bama didn't get any pressure at all on the quarterback because they didn't have any sacks. They didn't get very much pressure on him in the second half but they hit him a lot in the first half I thought. The difference is that he got rid of the ball before they could get to him. And like you said, he stood tall in the pocket and stepped into the throws. I remember a couple throws during the season when Stidham was looking at his own goal line a split second after the ball left his hand.

Sorry. I honestly was just surprised when I realized that nobody was really talking about him in terms of coming back or leaving.

11 minutes ago, metafour said:

There were 44 receivers invited last year.  I understand that Auburn fans have this fetish of crapping on every player that dares to leave early, but I would be VERY surprised if Slayton, a player that NFL teams will already know is a top-level athlete, isn't among ~40 or so receivers that gets invited.

Top level athletes aren’t always invited. Ask Corey Grant.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And you think another year with Gus would have improved their ability to play football in the NFL?

Also, what if the following years class has way more guys playing your position? What if you just started a family and you have no financial safety net? What if your grandmother doesn't have much time left? I'm just making stuff up but these are people with lives and everyone has a lot going on that leads to the decisions that they make. I'm just not sure that you're considering that.

If all those scenarios are true, you get your freaking degree. 

And it depends. If you are on that defense, you stay. Holland could have used another year of prep. Steele and Garner and T-Will can coach. Carlton Davis is doing just fine at Tampa, as is Lawson in Cincy, and Dee Ford in KC (even though I know some of those guys played under different coaches). If you're on offense, I can see your point. Gus doesn't have a good track record. But these guys really do do a lot on their own and with training in the summers with other D-1 players. In our receivers' case, aren't most of the guys we sign out of high school former QBs or Runningbacks? Hell, they are just now getting comfortable with being receivers, period. Stay a little long and cook in the oven a bit more if you're a guy like Slayton. 

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is fair.  But they have had more go into the NFL than that.  Don’t get me wrong, we do not have a good track record either.  I am not trying to deflect as you are 100% right in what you say.  But I hope that changes in 2019.  

Oh I think you and @metafour misread my post.  That’s what I was saying, is LSU is a hotbed for NFL WR talent in the draft every year.  So I agree with what you said.  But those receivers during their tenure at LSU don’t do much as LSU likes to run the ball.  I suppose I didn’t convey my point very well as there are multiple people quoting that post.  I hope this clears my original post up.

SPOILER: It will not! Gus and WRs go together like a Les Miles offense in the big 12. O wait............... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii lol

4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Daniel Thomas as well! Although I expect smoke to give him a run for his money at safety 

Smoke is the more talented player. He will eventually start over him. Even if he does not start the season opener.

And yes, Auburn fans have experienced our fair share of unwise departures: Robert Johnson, Darvin Adams, Jeff Holland, and others.

That is fair.  But they have had more go into the NFL than that.  Don’t get me wrong, we do not have a good track record either.  I am not trying to deflect as you are 100% right in what you say.  But I hope that changes in 2019.  

Oh I think you and @metafour misread my post.  That’s what I was saying, is LSU is a hotbed for NFL WR talent in the draft every year.  So I agree with what you said.  But those receivers during their tenure at LSU don’t do much as LSU likes to run the ball.  I suppose I didn’t convey my point very well as there are multiple people quoting that post.  I hope this clears my original post up.

Gotcha. But my response was the answer to your question. Go to LSU, go to the NFL. Doesn't really matter how they get used while they are there. (They also seem to specialize in players coaches like Miles and Orgeron.)

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Top level athletes aren’t always invited. Ask Corey Grant.

Corey Grant couldn't even start in college as a RB.  I don't get your comparison.  No, they really aren't comparable.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If all those scenarios are true, you get your freaking degree. 

And it depends. If you are on that defense, you stay. Holland could have used another year of prep. Steele and Garner and T-Will can coach. Carlton Davis is doing just fine at Tampa, as is Lawson in Cincy, and Dee Ford in KC (even though I know some of those guys played under different coaches). If you're on offense, I can see your point. Gus doesn't have a good track record. But these guys really do do a lot on their own and with training in the summers with other D-1 players. In our receivers' case, aren't most of the guys we sign out of high school former QBs or Runningbacks? Hell, they are just now getting comfortable with being receivers, period. Stay a little long and cook in the oven a bit more if you're a guy like Slayton. 

They can still get their degree.

Agreed about Holland. Disagree about Slayton. Strongly.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know I love you man but what!?!? They have put wide receivers in the NFL on the regular going all the way back to Dwayne Bowe.

It goes back even further to Josh Reed and Michael Clayton around 2003ish. Clayton  was a first round pick for the Bucs and had over 1k yards his rookie season. Unfortunately he had a career much like his bucs teammate and had a  caddy like nfl career because he was never the same after that because of injuries. How do I know this? Fantasy football of course! lol. Just like how most of us get all of our NFL info! haha

1 minute ago, metafour said:

Corey Grant couldn't even start in college as a RB.  I don't get your comparison.  No, they really aren't comparable.

Because he was behind Tre Mason - Heisman finalist, and Artis-Payne - multi-year NFL vet who set the single season Auburn rushing record. 

Technically, Slayton wasn't the top receiver at Auburn either. Ryan Davis was. But both Slayton and Grant were used aplenty in college.

Jeff is stating that top-level athleticism doesn't mean much to scouts or teams at a position like receiver. At defensive end or offensive line? Yes. But at skill positions, you better be good at your craft.

7 minutes ago, metafour said:

Well tbe comparison was athleticism. You’re the one drifting off to starts. Do you think Slayton would start at Bama? Wasn’t he recruited as DB?

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They can still get their degree.

Agreed about Holland. Disagree about Slayton. Strongly.

We'll have to place our bets. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong (which I hope I am. I want Auburn guys to thrive in the pros). 

I think Slayton is a 5th round to UDFA guy. 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

SPOILER: It will not! Gus and WRs go together like a Les Miles offense in the big 12. O wait............... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii lol

I will convince you by the end of this year.  Calling my shot now.  A838DCA9-FA8B-4712-B944-D2C0B994FE24.gif

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. But my response was the answer to your question. Go to LSU, go to the NFL. Doesn't really matter how they get used while they are there. (They also seem to specialize in players coaches like Miles and Orgeron.)

Nope.  The main takeaway from your post:

F21D6E52-2344-42B1-B469-783C2501A65E.gif

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Jeff is stating that top-level athleticism doesn't mean much to scouts or teams at a position like receiver. At defensive end or offensive line? Yes. But at skill positions, you better be good at your craft.

What you just said is so incredibly wrong, its insane.

Top level athleticism is INCREDIBLY important at skill positions.  If you can't run, you can't play.  How else do you explain Sammie Coates doing nothing but running in a straight line and dropping half the balls that hit his hands ending up in the 3rd round? NFL receivers need to create separation, or they are useless.

Your entire statement is backwards.  Offensive Line is the one position where "technique" trumps athleticism.  You think that "technique" is what makes the NFL's most dominant receivers what they are?  

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We'll have to place our bets. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong (which I hope I am. I want Auburn guys to thrive in the pros). 

I think Slayton is a 5th round to UDFA guy. 

I'll go fourth round. More importantly, I feel confident that I would be saying the same thing next year. Unless, of course, he got hurt.

I will convince you by the end of this year.  Calling my shot now.  A838DCA9-FA8B-4712-B944-D2C0B994FE24.gif

Nope.  The main takeaway from your post:

F21D6E52-2344-42B1-B469-783C2501A65E.gif

Damn it, out of reactions. But I'm not going to tell you which one I was going to go with now.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well tbe comparison was athleticism. You’re the one drifting off to starts. Do you think Slayton would start at Bama? Wasn’t he recruited as DB?

Corey Grant's athleticism was limited to straight-line speed.  In many other RB "athletic traits" he was seen to be limited, although he has certainly surprised in the NFL.  Darius Slayton is a much more complete "athlete" for the position he plays.  He has no athletic question marks.  Its a lazy comparison.

23 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Daniel Thomas as well! Although I expect smoke to give him a run for his money at safety 

I expect Sherwood to take his spot

14 minutes ago, metafour said:

What you just said is so incredibly wrong, its insane.

Top level athleticism is INCREDIBLY important at skill positions.  If you can't run, you can't play.  How else do you explain Sammie Coates doing nothing but running in a straight line and dropping half the balls that hit his hands ending up in the 3rd round? NFL receivers need to create separation, or they are useless.

Your entire statement is backwards.  Offensive Line is the one position where "technique" trumps athleticism.  You think that "technique" is what makes the NFL's most dominant receivers what they are?  

Looks like I'll have to pull out the ol' fact-stick and rap your knuckles with it. Below are the rankings from last year's combine. Couple of things to note - it isn't fully correct as Chark went in the 2nd round and Valdes-Scantling went in the 5th. However, Robert Foster showed freak athleticism and went undrafted. So did the 6th fastest player Jester Weah. And Byron Pringle. Meanwhile, you look down and see guys who are 2 tenths slower than Foster getting drafted. It is not just about athleticism at receiver. The measurables are much more important for lineman, whose athleticism, size and strength trump technique. If technique were king, Dismukes (the Remington winner!) wouldn't have gone undrafted. You just don't know what you're talking about. 

draft.png

17 minutes ago, metafour said:

Corey Grant's athleticism was limited to straight-line speed.  In many other RB "athletic traits" he was seen to be limited, although he has certainly surprised in the NFL.  Darius Slayton is a much more complete "athlete" for the position he plays.  He has no athletic question marks.  Its a lazy comparison.

Routes Slayton ran in Music City Bowl/entire career: stand-up screen and go route. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:
1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I expect Sherwood to take his spot

Both have more talent than DT but DT is a baller and he will play a lot no matter who gets the start.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Routes Slayton ran in Music City Bowl/entire career: stand-up screen and go route. 

That is a flaw in the offense, not in the athletic ability of Slayton to actually run those routes.  Corey Grant has MECHANICAL deficiencies in what he can and can't do which limit his upside as a RB to that of a situational player, which is what he was all throughout college and is in the NFL as well.  Are you trying to suggest that Slayton lacks the athletic ability to run certain routes LOL?

Archived